• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My family is a low middleclass black family, my parents are pretty religious even if they arent evangelical level. And i've been able to convince them about certain progressive priorities, and they seem pretty common sense just talking to them on normal issues...

That's why i havent really been as distanced from my parents as when they were offhandedly were discussing politics and were saying they were probably going to vote for bloomberg because "they dont trust any of the other ones" just this morning. I am legit shook right now

I tried to explain to them about his stop and frisk policies during his time in new york "well he's not in power right now right so its okay"

I tried to explain his GOP history and how he supported George W Bush in 2004 over any democrat, "well he's not a republican right now"

I tried to explain how his own media company stifles journalism and has biased reporting of information, "its his company, so he can do it right?"

I tried to explain his dismissal of israel bombing open air hospitals and civilians with 'people will die in war', "all that stuff over there is complicated, its not a big deal"

I tried to explain he literally has dismissed giving any time to actually campaign or do events or engage with debates in any kind because his monied influence. "well these debates arent convincing anyone of anything, they were talking about him on MSNBC and said he's the best choice to get the most votes, and Obama agrees with him on the state of the democratic party"

My parents watch tons of CNN and MSNBC(my mom reads the CNN website a lot as well) and that's literally all they watch. Its like seeing a generational gap in real time, i could not be anymore different from them ideologically and they literally dont know anything about anything regarding politics or nuanced information despite having the experience and age.

How do people on Era deal with relatives who have opposing on weird political views that are super repelling?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't even deal with your parents supporting a different Democratic candidate you might want to avoid discussing politics with anybody ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Try dealing with ultra-conservative parents then get back with me. It's always a hassle dealing with them.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Someone expressing their own opinions? I hope you shut that down as quickly as possible.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
My mother focuses solely on the super small "gotcha!" Trump shit. And I have to explain to her, no, headlines dont matter. Policy matters and the day to day minutiae matters, not bombastic headlines.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If you can't even deal with your parents supporting a different Democratic candidate you might want to avoid discussing politics with anybody ever.

I can 'deal' with it, but i think that coming into contact with family members you think are common sense support a billionaire megalomaniac worse than biden for the black community is very strange considering. Also...saying bloomberg "is just another democratic candidate" as if they are all the same or a wash, it's very strange as well to hear considering we are talking about a primary where the differences actually matter

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
They're not voting for Trump and if they didn't go for Bloomberg they'd probably strengthen the vote of Biden or some other centrist Democrat, so this sounds like a win-win!

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
People view the Nazi admin as an existential threat and would replace it with virtually anything

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Supporting someone who is literally trying to buy an election is bad, hope you can convince them to get away from this horrible candidate.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Just make sure the support who'll actually get the nomination because it certainly won't be Bloomberg.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
How do people on Era deal with relatives who have opposing on weird political views that are super repelling?

Dude, they're voting Democrat. Who cares who they vote for in the primary so long as they vote D in the actual election?

Don't waste all your time telling them how bad their candidate is and have them end up voting for Trump.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I can 'deal' with it, but i think that coming into contact with family members you think are common sense support a billionaire megalomaniac worse than biden for the black community is very strange considering. Also...saying bloomberg "is just another democratic candidate" as if they are all the same or a wash, it's very strange as well to hear

In an era where basically everything is better than Trump, a number of people on this forum will stop at nothing to downplay the discrepancies of the democratic candidates. If your parents aren't swayed by any of your worries about Bloomberg, I guess the best you can do after making your case is be thankful they're not voting for Trump. Heck, maybe they would've voted Biden otherwise and this will fracture his support a bit.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
As long as they support the democrats, that's all that should matter.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can 'deal' with it, but i think that coming into contact with family members you think are common sense support a billionaire megalomaniac worse than biden for the black community is very strange considering. Also...saying bloomberg "is just another democratic candidate" as if they are all the same or a wash, it's very strange as well to hear considering we are talking about a primary where the differences actually matter
no, you're right to be baffled by this and it feels like people saying 'well at least they don't like trump' are kinda missing the point here. he's a wax sculpture with absolutely no apparent appeal. it's fucking weird. i guess, hypothetically, people who would vote for Bloomberg have to exist, but i sympathize with how bizarre it must be to find them irl and in your own family, no less

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Dude, they're voting Democrat. Who cares who they vote for in the primary so long as they vote D in the actual election?

Don't waste all your time telling them how bad their candidate is and have them end up voting for Trump.
Because voting for Bloomberg and switch to say Warren might not be a given. The idea that Bloomberg is closer to her or Sanders than Trump totally doesn't square with reality.

That being said they're bleeding support from Biden so maybe one problem at a time.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

I realize other people have other life experiences and I am not the sole holder of all truth and knowledge and my opinions are that, my own. Reading an article, a book, or an internet post is not the same thing as building real life experience.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Your parents are, from the sound of it, well-meaning and thoughtful grown adults who have done just fine up to this point in their lives. It's their choice. Just because you think you are "educating" doesn't mean you aren't proselytizing. I say feel free to discuss politics but avoid trying to "change" them.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Perhaps i didnt make my original point clear enough so i'll try and explain a bit more

When dealing with politics, clashing with others over substantive policy and actual politics isnt exactly uncommon, especially family. Which is why the sentiment that "if your complaining about other people's political opinions and who they are going to vote for, you shouldent be talking about politics" is such a strange take .

My parents get some of the things i throw out there, and dont really pick up other things when i occasionally will talk about things with them as they are discussing. Which is why such blatant dismissal of information and such comes as a shock to me. It reminds me of trump supporters blind adoration when it comes to dismissal of information, and its too uncomfortable for me to really press beyond that with them which is why i ask for advice on how to approach said subjects.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

What kind of logic is that? This might be the most important election in the modern history of the US, to discuss and debate over which candidate will be chosen to face Trump is really crucial. Imagine how horrible it would be for people in the US to be forced to vote for stale status quo candidates like Buttigieg, Biden or Bloomberg if they want to get rid of that orange shit stain. Promising nothing but 4-8 years of weak bipartisanship with an openly racist, sexist, bigoted party.

To stop talking about it because what, you're afraid they might rebel and go vote for Trump? I understand supporting the Democrat candidate, no matter who they are, against Trump. It makes sense and is what should be done. But there are some outcomes that would be waaaay better, that would help your country move forward and evolve. And others who will just let it stagnate and make sure it's ripe for the picking for Republicans in the next election.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
its ok to be upset OP, some folks thinking that having fascist family members means that you dont get to complain about having centrist parents.

If you think you can get them along, you have to present your information in a way that doesnt feel biased to them, and you have to find ways to trigger your parents attention. Ultimately, its also important to establish your opinions as just opinions that, while they can be strong, they arent meant to be gospel. Adults dont like to feel like they are being schooled or something, unless they really trust you regarding a specific topic.

Maybe show them things about Warren or Bernie that they could like and slowly start from there

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
You could have it much worse than having your parents going for another democratic candidate.

There are many people that would love to be in that situation instead of them sitting on the table with their red hats.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We've reached peak era when we're upset about a family member favoring a different democratic candidate than you like going into the PRIMARIES.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What kind of logic is that? This might be the most important election in the modern history of the US, to discuss and debate over which candidate will be chosen to face Trump is really crucial. Imagine how horrible it would be for people in the US to be forced to vote for stale status quo candidates like Buttigieg, Biden or Bloomberg if they want to get rid of that orange shit stain. Promising nothing but 4-8 years of weak bipartisanship with an openly racist, sexist, bigoted party.

To stop talking about it because what, you're afraid they might rebel and go vote for Trump? I understand supporting the Democrat candidate, no matter who they are, against Trump. It makes sense and is what should be done. But there are some outcomes that would be waaaay better, that would help your country move forward and evolve. And others who will just let it stagnate and make sure it's ripe for the picking for Republicans in the next election.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I don't like Bernie's bending for the NRA, but I'll still suck it up and vote for him if he gets the nom.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
That's two fewer Biden votes going to a candidate with no chance. What's the problem?

The problem comes when OP's parents aren't the only one feeling this way. I had my (white boomer hockey-playing) dad explain to me that "all of the guys in the locker room, they hate Warren and will never vote for a woman, so it needs to be someone rich and powerful (and white) to take on Trump".

He's never voted republican in his life before, and he only consumes politics through local news and through his friends, and they all used to vote D... I mean, this is suburban deep blue Massachusetts! But all of a sudden he's got one foot out the door, and he seems to think that Bloomberg is the answer to keep him in.

If there are lots of boomers feeling this way, then this begins to become a problem.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
think in the good side of things,
1- They could be republicans
2- Maybe their second candidate is biden and they are not helping him win the primaries.

And its easier to have points you can talk with them, compared if they were republicans that watch foxnews and are past the point of no return, just patience, love and talk.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't vote for Bloomberg. He's a racist and classist. He would raise taxes on the poor and make stop and frisk legal country wide.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I realized during this Thanksgiving that "ok black boomer" could totally be its own thing lol

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until they start talking about how afraid they are of Warren, they're not being totally honest with you, OP.