• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, that's some Big Brother shit!
4439-l.webp

Dec 30, 2020
I hope they appreciate Weinerville style puppet bodies because that's what they're seeing.

Also the managers need to get their asses back to work and stop staring at livestreams.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
When middle management and HR people realize how fucking useless they are and how obvious it becomes to others when WFH is common

They gather like a bunch of hungry sniveling rats and scheme up little ways to make WFH seem like it destroys companies and production rates

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
When I was working from home, the company I worked for paid half of my phone bill and half of my internet bill.

I'd say that's generous, when it should just be.......expected.

When I started WFH, I asked if I could expense printer paper. That's it. That's all I wanted to do.

My Manager's Response: No, you're saving money not driving into work.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I heard one of my managers even suggest this in jest, I'd be polishing my CV and looking at my options.

No. Not in a million years.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I'd be out the door yesterday. My job requires absolute confidentiality and if I ever got any hint that my employer was trying to pull some shit like that, not only would I walk out on the spot, I'd report them to the state Department of Human Services. Of course, I realize that my work is more sensitive in this regard than many other fields, but it seems like an unacceptable invasion of privacy regardless.

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not. I would tell them that my notice would be in their inbox the very moment one of those cameras arrived at my home, and would certainly not plug it in for the remainder of my time there.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
My company is German and they aren't even allowed to monitor productivity down to an individual level using the tools already present in the software they use. The reports are turned off.

It would be really funny to see what would happen if this was proposed to the works council.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There's talk of this at my company but they already try and institute ridiculous demands like everyone in the house must not be streaming any video or games during my shift and with a 13 year old and a retired Elderly guy with a Netflix addiction that's lol. They also try and force cameras on during meetings but you're not paying rent so you don't need to see my wife sleeping behind me. I will leave.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
The moment that policy was even entertained, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat. Management is absolutely worthless if this is seen as the way they need to spend their time and its disrespectful to every single employee they throw a camera on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The ironic thing is, anyone with any kind of other job prospects at all would almost immediately quit, so you'd lose most of your "good" workforce. The ones that are left are either going to be the ones that actually need to be monitored (what are you going to do, fire them? everyone else quit) or the few rookies who feel like this is the normal course of doing business and they're taking one for the company, who is their family.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The ironic thing is, anyone with any kind of other job prospects at all would almost immediately quit, so you'd lose most of your "good" workforce. The ones that are left are either going to be the ones that actually need to be monitored (what are you going to do, fire them? everyone else quit) or the few rookies who feel like this is the normal course of doing business and they're taking one for the company, who is their family.

Yep. I would go one further and argue that the obsession with performance statistics and data will be the end of us all. The number of times I have had to explain to clients that the best employees work in fits and starts is absurd. We are not machines. I don't have a magical answer to get them working at full capacity continuously for 10+ hours a day, for months on end, without burning out or quitting.