• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I play a lot of picross and have been enjoying the challenge of the case 2 puzzles - with hints off there's a number of them so far that I have had to think really hard about before cracking them open.
I'm a picross fiend, I need 30x30 and up, preferably 50x50. Really wish there were ANY challenging picross games on Switch :(

I'll still keep this in my head in case it shows up on a big sale at some point late in the year, just not grabbing it now :(

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The same is happening for me. If there was a button you could hold down to skip through dialogue, that would be nice.

I keep accidentally selecting puzzles in Scout's memories since it always takes you back to the first one in a set after you complete a puzzle.You can't quit out of a puzzle there without going back to the title screen each time.

These aren't game ruiners by any stretch, though. Just minor annoyances.

Yeah it was a bit of a nuisance when I replayed through case 1 on Normal right after finishing it to get the S-tier puzzle, I would've appreciated a faster way to skip text so I could beeline for the puzzles without accidentally replaying dialogue.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
So impressions seem to mostly agree that the game is successful at what it's going for, and that if you are the niche target audience it's aimed at you will like it. That's all I needed to know tbh, might as well drop the ten quid.
Exactly, summed up perfectly.
Then again, it is really well made and might be a good/perfect introduction for people not familiar with either VNs/Ace Attorney style or Picross. I cannot really assess this through my more than a decade old AA-Picross tinted glasses ;)

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
On case 3 right now. Some of the extra puzzles have been pretty tough.
mbn_2.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
The production value looks great. How is the game?
The writing and interplay between the characters is pretty good and often funny. There's a lot of Picross puzzles- main story ones, extra (to get a better ranking), along bonus ones you can complete from the main menu.

Really liking it so far.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
The writing and interplay between the characters is pretty good and often funny. There's a lot of Picross puzzles- main story ones, extra (to get a better ranking), along bonus ones you can complete from the main menu.

Really liking it so far.

Just checking, the largest puzzle is still
15x15
right???

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finished the first case and unlocked the first memory. really enjoyed it, the story is good and the culprit not too obvious, and i'm intrigued where it's going to go. the story puzzles were quite easy, but the memory stuff has some decent challenging ones (well, not that challenging but harder compared to main puzzles). will start case 2 tomorrow.

edit: and the characters and dialog are well done, i already like honor, scout and k.c. detective cross not so much yet but i feel like his moment to shine is yet to come.

Is the story decent?
it's pretty good, at least so far (the first case)

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Uhh is there a way to back out of SCOUT's memory puzzles mid-story? I spent like 20 minutes on one then accidentally went straight back into it.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Really liking this game so far but I have two small nitpicks:

1) Unless I haven't been able to figure it out, I wish there were a way to back out of a puzzle once started.

2) I know this is a picross game first, VN second but there should be a way to view dialogue that has passed. Especially since some get cut off early, which I get, but it's still a little frustrating since the dialogue is so rich.

That said, as someone who LOVE both Ace Attorney and Picross, I'm greatly enjoying this game.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first case this morning and I'm absolutely in love with the game. I'm trying to take my time with it as it's such a cozy bedtime game, but I could easily barrel through the whole thing

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Game is really fun! Decided to pick it up on Switch over PC.

Story is alright so far and there's a good balance between dialogue/puzzles.

Oct 25, 2017
Game is really fun so far. I'm *nearing* the end of the 1st case if my ranking is anything to go by, and it's been pretty solid. I wish the detective stuff was a bit more full-bodied, Ace Attorney style, but I get that that's not what this game is.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Yeah the game is great and all but........where is the goddamn soundtrack on youtube, I need it, like, right now.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
The music is soooo good
music... so...good....
Yeah the game is great and all but........where is the goddamn soundtrack on youtube, I need it, like, right now.
Yeah, love it too! Masakazu Sugimori still delivering those catchy tunes 20 years after he created the evergreen/defining AA melodies.
Can't wait for someone to upload the OST to youtube ...

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There's a bug in case 2 where Ryan is available to talk to in two locations at the same time, but if you show him items in one of the locations he says something like "I don't know why you're showing me that" while in the other location he does have things to say about them.

I was stuck here for a while since I had nothing to do and I already showed everyone, including Ryan, all of the things I gathered. Turns out I had to show him the exact same stuff in another location.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The music is great but I'm starting to become ever-so-slightly sick of some of it lol. I'm thankful there are multiple puzzle songs but one or two of them aren't especially well suited for it because they're so bubbly and upbeat. I have some other nitpicks as well, but overall the game is very solid. I'm early in case 3 and, while I haven't found the mysteries very compelling so far (the culprits for the first two seemed immediately obvious to me), I don't care because the characters and dialogue are so enjoyable.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A Picross game with a story is not something I expected to see. Pretty cool-looking.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So, I discovered something that can potentially be used to break the game. I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet.

I noticed that SCOUT cracks a smile whenever you fill in the correct spaces for a given row. You don't need to put down any X's either. Using this, you can cheese your way through even the hardest puzzles the game throws at you without even needing to think about how to the rows and columns connect to each other.

Unfortunately, I can't unsee it now. But I still try to commit myself to solving the puzzle on my own and only use SCOUT's smile as a way to proofread my row fills or to help me correct a mistake. I could easily just abuse this and get through the puzzles in record time, but what's the fun in that?

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Can someone help me out and explain to me how to decipher the hint system? The one that doesn't lower your score highlights some of the numbers as purple, but I'm not sure how to utilize the hint at all.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think the hint system is mainly just "You should be able to logic this out, at least partially"

So basically it's saying to focus on those particular lines at that moment because you should be able to chip away at them.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Lovin' it so far, basically two nitpicks:
- easy way to back out of puzzles
- easy way to skip dialogue (in case you accidently clicked it)
Other than that totally met my lofty expectations. If you like both AA and Picross this is a no-brainer.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Just saying, all the soundtrack is available on youtube now.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
The music is great but I'm starting to become ever-so-slightly sick of some of it lol.

Agreed. As much as I enjoyed the soundtrack, it *does* get a bit repetitive when the same bouncy song is going on for 30 minutes. And with dozens of puzzles around and just five or so songs for that part of the game, repetition just ramps up over time quite a bit.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to solve basically every puzzle in a case on Normal with no assists to get an S rank? I used assists for like two puzzles in case 1 (more to try them out than anything) and still only scraped out an A, and I'm pretty sure I found them all. And it looks like you'd have to replay the whole case to improve your rank, so nuts to that.

It's enjoyable so far, though there are a few areas it's rough around the edges. For instance, why does it seem like sometimes when investigating you're just hovering over a random spot with nothing to do with whatever you're about to pick up?

Last edited:

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Game desperately needs an option to skip conversations or auto move to the next question. I'm forever hitting the wrong button dialogue option and having to go through it again.

Loving it though, super charming and funny. Music is fantastic. Picross is always ace.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Just started this! I like it so far, it'll be a nice little diversion for me on Switch before Animal Crossing comes out, and it's definitely scratching a bit of a Phoenix Wright itch, at least aesthetically.

Does anyone know about how long the game is? I read a review saying about 15-20 hours, is that accurate?