• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this has turned out well since the initial premise when it got revealed was so immediately great. Still in the first case but the music, writing and art are all on point. I hope the mysteries themselves are compelling and not obvious but the character writing will help carry it if the mysteries aren't as good.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't see anything in the OT about this. It may have been asked already, but does this have touchscreen controls? I'd love to use my stylus for this.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The story has a toooon of Picross. On one hand Picross is fun, but on the other hand it can be kind of a pacing killer as the puzzles get more elaborate. At least as a relative newbie to this sort of puzzle. I wish there was a little more meat to the detective gameplay to add variety.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
How's the writing? This has sounded great since the announcement, the focus on Picross (especially when I've slacked on picking up S3) and Hato Moa being involved and all that, but I wanna know if it's actually solid or not before I go for it.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna go ahead and embarrass myself by admitting that it took me about an hour to notice the gag on the two main characters's names. :P

How's the writing? This has sounded great since the announcement, the focus on Picross (especially when I've slacked on picking up S3) and Hato Moa being involved and all that, but I wanna know if it's actually solid or not before I go for it.

I'm still early in (maybe halfway or so through case 1) but I'm enjoying it. It has that same charming and slightly corny feel that Ace Attorney does, and it hasn't felt like it's trying too hard yet. They're doing a good job of hinting at later character and plot threads as well.

I also appreciate that they don't seem to have made the murderer for case 1 as obvious as Ace Attorney usually does. Though I guess I can narrow the possible suspects a bit by playing "Who here isn't in the intro?"

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like you need to play through on Normal if you want enough points to unlock the S-tier Scout's Memory for the first case at least, unless I missed something.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The story has a toooon of Picross. On one hand Picross is fun, but on the other hand it can be kind of a pacing killer as the puzzles get more elaborate. At least as a relative newbie to this sort of puzzle. I wish there was a little more meat to the detective gameplay to add variety.
There can never be too much Picross.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there can never be too much picross in a picross game

i 200%'d that konami picross game

Oct 7, 2019
Has anyone noticed how characters are mirrored when they turn from left to right and vice versa? I've just noticed a badge on a detective jumping from left to right as he was facing people on both sides of the screen and now I can't focus on anything else than this fact.
I'm not sure if it's a deliberate design choice but it's awfully distracting.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
im enjoying the game so far but at an hour in I kind of wish there were more puzzles interwoven into the game. right now it's like one puzzle every 10 minutes.. and the puzzles only take a minute. I'm sure it'll become more even as the puzzles get harder but so far I'm just itching for more picross. Just found out there's some puzzles i can just play in the menu with the robot so that's good.

really enjoying the art, the writing so far is kind of.. I mean it's fine, I don't think it's really my demographic as far as the style of writing, but otherwise i'm enjoying it just fine.

I do wish there were touch controls though. Or at least let me use the right stick to move options and the dpad on the left to select them or something. It's a weird case on my end but Ive been trying to play with one hand while eating and shit but since theres no touch screen and the only movement you get is on the left side and selection on the right, i keep having to move my hand back and forth across the switch lol. Dumb request, i know, but the buttons aren't doing anything else, lemme use em! haha. Looking forward to more!

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if you receive more points the quicker you complete a puzzle, am I safe to go at a leisurely pace?

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
Finished Chapter 1and I think it is a gem, since I suspected the story to be predictable and just "there" to give the puzzle ramp up structure. But now it twisted and I can't wait to continue the story tomorrow.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This game is everything I wanted it to be! The writing is especially good; the characters are constantly bouncing off each other and it makes it a joy to read. There were quite a few chuckles elicited out of me, too.

I just finished Case 1. I'll likely finish this during the weekend.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this and it's really great so far! Haven't played picross before but it's fun. I'm laughing a lot, the music is excellent, and it's really nice looking game too.

Also since I've heard a lot of comparisons to Ace Attorney I'll add my take: I think I'm just glad this is a new IP, it's nice to have a fresh start with new characters and world. It kind of resets everyone's expectations as well.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Started it. Not quite at the end of Chapter 1 but liking it alot. The Picross controls feel nice; need to play with a better dpad than the pro controller.

Some of the text boxes and fonts can use some tightening up though. Has that low rent mobile game feel.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the biggest grid size for puzzles?

For the story: 15x15 with one exception right at the end. Possible others in the bonus section, I haven't tried all of them yet

im enjoying the game so far but at an hour in I kind of wish there were more puzzles interwoven into the game. right now it's like one puzzle every 10 minutes.. and the puzzles only take a minute. I'm sure it'll become more even as the puzzles get harder but so far I'm just itching for more picross. Just found out there's some puzzles i can just play in the menu with the robot so that's good.

After the first case the difficulty quickly ramps up and there's definitely a lot of them - sometimes I'd have liked to get more story in-between later on.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Murder Miss Terri is top tier punning.
Not gonna lie, I didn't get it until I read it in this thread -_-;

Also, there seems to be a bug that if you go to the help section in the pause screen and then return to the game, you won't be able to control the cursor if you're currently in a puzzle. Don't know if this is just happening in my game, but just a PSA.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand most of the puns, Miss Terry is easy enough, but I have no idea how Scout and Honor make a pun :(
In the end I caved in and bought it on switch yesterday (I had more than 6€ in coins lol), I really like it, the writing is awesome, the music is great, the puzzles, well, they're picross, and the characters are very charismatic and unique.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand most of the puns, Miss Terry is easy enough, but I have no idea how Scout and Honor make a pun
Scouts honor, as in the American (boy?) Scouts where they promise to tell the truth and uphold a code of conduct.

dictionary.cambridge.org

Scout's honour

said when you are trying to make someone believe that you are telling the…
Not a pun exactly but still.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
oh. OH. THAT MAKES SENSE.

Yeah, sometimes you can just miss the really obvious things. Like, I've played ace attorney 1 at least 5 times over the last decade, it only hit me last week on the switch trilogy version that the hotel where evidence including phone wiretapping equipment in the second case is named "Gatewater" i.e. it's reversed the name of the "Watergate" hotel from Nixons massive scandal.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Bought this blind, without reading any reviews as the premise always sounded awesome. Art, music and gameplay all look great so far. But why oh why does this not have touch controls? Should be mandatory for puzzle games and VN games and this is both. What an oversight!

Feb 8, 2020
I finished the first two cases yesterday, and I'm having a great time with it. I wasn't expecting the Ace Attorney vibes to be this pronounced, but as a huge AA fan, I'm completely fine with it. I like the cast, especially Scout. I'm hoping things get even better in the back half of the game.

It's also an inconsequential detail, but I was thinking about how it's sort of funny that the first AA game came out in 2001, and this take place in the late 90s, but AA takes place in 2016, just a few years before this game came out.

edfear

Feb 6, 2020
I'm aware of all that and yes, they're easy to figure out on their own and there's a limited number of riddles that will repeat. To me this feels like the devs set it up that way so you could basically get through eventually be mostly remembering things instead of figuring out. Even so, the last one took me an comparatively absurd amount ot time and retries despite solving everything else in the game without using the hint options.

Yeah - to be honest we just got too used to them and so didn't really notice that the times were tough. We've got a patch submitted to Nintendo which gives you more time so hopefully that'll be live soon - Steam version will have this at launch.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - to be honest we just got too used to them and so didn't really notice that the times were tough. We've got a patch submitted to Nintendo which gives you more time so hopefully that'll be live soon - Steam version will have this at launch.

Thanks, I'm sure it'll be appreciated by many people.

And I hope you'll sell so much of the game that you'll be able to get a sequel out soon :)

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm finding that while I love Picross, I hate Phoenix Wright. I just keep getting annoyed that the "story" is getting in the way of more puzzles. It's clear a lot of love and effort went into this game, but I just don't think I'm the audience.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the Steam release? It was counting down and now it's changed to Coming Soon D:

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking the picross but I keep skipping through the dialog and accidentally selecting it again since theres like no delay in between

it also seems to be a total Phoenix Wright ripoff (beyond just the music)

Feb 8, 2020
I'm liking the picross but I keep skipping through the dialog and accidentally selecting it again since theres like no delay in between

The same is happening for me. If there was a button you could hold down to skip through dialogue, that would be nice.

I keep accidentally selecting puzzles in Scout's memories since it always takes you back to the first one in a set after you complete a puzzle.You can't quit out of a puzzle there without going back to the title screen each time.

These aren't game ruiners by any stretch, though. Just minor annoyances.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I got a key from Green Man Gaming for eleven bucks and some change... But the game's still not out yet! Gah!

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
So impressions seem to mostly agree that the game is successful at what it's going for, and that if you are the niche target audience it's aimed at you will like it. That's all I needed to know tbh, might as well drop the ten quid.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
For the story: 15x15 with one exception right at the end. Possible others in the bonus section, I haven't tried all of them yet

After the first case the difficulty quickly ramps up and there's definitely a lot of them - sometimes I'd have liked to get more story in-between later on.
oof 15x15 is child's play. Eh

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Bummed that the biggest puzzle size is so small. I'll hold off for now.
I play a lot of picross and have been enjoying the challenge of the case 2 puzzles - with hints off there's a number of them so far that I have had to think really hard about before cracking them open.