bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Doesn't matter what you think of the YouTubers initial I'll advised business decision or other actions here, it's fucked that not only is he unable to shut down these awful ghost kitchens but now being sued by this shitty company.

I hope he wins because they are straight up villains.
It's because he licensed his name to this company. These are kitchens that already exist inside existing restaurants, or they use commercial kitchens or commissaries. He signed a contract for this company to use his name on burgers that were made inside these ghost kitchens, there's not much he can do since he isn't the owner of said kitchens.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Personally I would never eat at one because one hamburger is like the cost of a combo meal at a fast food place, and some of them cost as much as a sit down restaurant like Olive Garden where I can get significantly higher quality food, and have someone serve me bread.
I find it amusing that the bar for "significantly higher quality food" is Olive Garden, which is (in my experience) extremely generic and low quality Italian food.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
It's because he licensed his name to this company. These are kitchens that already exist inside existing restaurants, or they use commercial kitchens or commissaries. He signed a contract for this company to use his name on burgers that were made inside these ghost kitchens, there's not much he can do since he isn't the owner of said kitchens.
i'd think "food must not be dangerous to consume" would be a valid reason to nullify a contract, but i'm not a lawyer.
do we have any lawyers here

Oct 8, 2019
I find it amusing that the bar for "significantly higher quality food" is Olive Garden, which is (in my experience) extremely generic and low quality Italian food.

I mentioned it because I just ate there last week. I am sure there's significantly better italian places that I have never been too. Its a chain restaurant its a step up from Fast Food.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
I hope this causes a change reaction and spins up a bunch investigations into VDC/Ghost Kitchens.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
i'd think "food must not be dangerous to consume" would be a valid reason to nullify a contract, but i'm not a lawyer.
do we have any lawyers here
If the kitchens are putting out dangerous food, then they need to be shut down because there's a good chance there are multiple ghost kitchens running out of one kitchen, so all the food coming out of that kitchen would be at risk. This is only a big deal because it's tied to Mr. Beast. Someone else in this thread pointed out all the shit food that comes out of ghost kitchens. I'm not defending the company; just if you want to do a restaurant, don't cheap out on it, especially someone as wealthy as Mr. Beast. Restaurants are hard to run and operate, and he wanted a cheap way to spread his brand and say that he has 300 restaurants across the country.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
VDC sucks and Beast was more than happy to enthusiastically sell his name to them for a payday. They specifically used his name to raise their profile and popularize the concept, so he's partially responsible for what they do with their elevated profile, as well.

Fuck 'em both.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
I gotta agree, but I also ain't ever gotten food poisoning from olive garden, which does not appear to be the case with Mr. Beast's burgers

Honestly, the burgers weren't great.

View: https://twitter.com/xjakin/status/1686414120302661641

Jun 24, 2019
Both are fucked ha ha

giphy.webp

fairwxfriend

Jan 31, 2021
Why would you consistently buy those expensive ass burgers? Those are 5 Guys prices. I've never had the Beast burger, but I assume 5 Guys has it beat in quality by alot.

They have vegan impossible burgers and since my boyfriend is vegan (and annoyingly picky), I end up having to accommodate his diet constantly lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm confused about how ghost kitchens work.

If you order a Beast Burger, and it's actually being made at a Denny's, are you not getting a Denny's product made by Denny's staff?

Or is it Denny's staff making a different subset of food (ie - MrBeast products) that's not part of the regular Denny's ingredients?

If the burgers are undercooked, isn't that the fault of the restaurant? Or is it really the quality of the ingredients?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you order a Beast Burger, and it's actually being made at a Denny's, are you not getting a Denny's product made by Denny's staff?

Or is it Denny's staff making a different subset of food (ie - MrBeast products) that's not part of the regular Denny's ingredients?

If the burgers are undercooked, isn't that the fault of the restaurant? Or is it really the quality of the ingredients?

This is why 99% of the time ghost kitchens don't work especially on scale.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

There are very few unique ingredients in something like a beast burger. Its standard stuff cooked and assembled in a specific way. It probably only calls for 80:20 chuck, which most restaurants are going to have. You'll probably see different bread rolls based on where you order them from, but other than that American cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc... you aren't going to notice the difference between different brands.

It mostly comes down to the combination of ingredients, prep method and assembly in what makes a burger a burger.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is a letthemfight.gif moment, I don't believe for a second that Mr. Beast didn't know he was getting into a business with dubious quality control.

The MrBeast Burger brand launched in December 2020 and expanded to 1,700 global locations by the end of 2022.
It is simply not possible to go from launch to 1,700 "locations" within 2 years in any sort of legitimate way. Like, come on. And he was on Twitter a year ago bragging about sharing $100 million in revenue.

With the exception of the first physical MrBeast Burger restaurant opened at New Jersey's American Dream mall, the chain operates as a virtual brand run out of partner kitchens with orders available for delivery and pick up only via food-delivery services.
Hmmm, I wonder which one got featured in his "I Opened A Restaurant That Pays You To Eat At It" video with 160 million views.

joinvdc.com

Kitchens – Virtual Dining Concepts

Our setup is tailored for speed and reliability. We help you configure the best brand to work with, and make sure you have everything you need to succeed and sell more.

Their selling point is that all the kitchens buy is the packaging while they use their existing equipment and suppliers. There's a super simple quiz where you tell them what kind of equipment you have and what food your restaurant makes and it spits back a list of compatible brands.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who's worked at a restaurant for like 1 week can tell you why ghost kitchens are a horrendous idea. There are so many food quality guidelines restaurants need to follow to operate ssuccessfully, and once you divorce a brand from day-to-day operations the need for quality control basically goes out the window because people will just get mad at the brand/app they order from and not whatever shady back door operation is fulfilling the order. I think the idea of online order only restaurants isn't awful (there's actually a Starbucks near me that does this) but once you detach a brand from the physical place that's responsible for the operation and order fulfillment it becomes a fucking mess. There's such little transparency around ghost kitchens and where you are actually ordering from, if I open Beast burger in the Uber eats app, all I get for where it's coming from is the Mall by me. That could be one of about 20 places located in the mall. Who's responsible if I get sick or have a bad experience?

Mr Beast, and really anyone investing in this concept, should know better. The only people who would be interested in the concept are those that basically want to further decrease operating costs of a nationwide brand with 0 regard for quality at all.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
There are very few unique ingredients in something like a beast burger. Its standard stuff cooked and assembled in a specific way. It probably only calls for 80:20 chuck, which most restaurants are going to have. You'll probably see different bread rolls based on where you order them from, but other than that American cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc... you aren't going to notice the difference between different brands.

It mostly comes down to the combination of ingredients, prep method and assembly in what makes a burger a burger.

"Ingredients" isn't really the right word. I guess what I mean is, if a Beast Burger is actually being made at Denny's, are you getting the same burger that's on a Denny's menu?

Or do they have a freezer full of "Mr Beast" burgers that's different from the Denny's burgers that they make instead?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
"Ingredients" isn't really the right word. I guess what I mean is, if a Beast Burger is actually being made at Denny's, are you getting the same burger that's on a Denny's menu?

Or do they have a freezer full of "Mr Beast" burgers that's different from the Denny's burgers that they make instead?
They make the burgers from base ingredients they have in the kitchen. The Denny's burger will be cooked and prepared like a Denny's burger, and the Mr Beast burger will be cooked and prepared like a Mr Beast burger. Like, say the Mr Beast burger is a smash burger and the Denny's one isn't. Say they use similar toppings assembled in different orders. You end up with something made from the same basic stuff, but it's not the same end product.

Most burger places use very similar beef (80/20 chuck) in their patties, with little to no other ingredients added to the patty. Most of the difference comes from the way it was prepared.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
They make the burgers from base ingredients they have in the kitchen. The Denny's burger will be cooked and prepared like a Denny's burger, and the Mr Beast burger will be cooked and prepared like a Mr Beast burger. Like, say the Mr Beast burger is a smash burger and the Denny's one isn't. Say they use similar toppings assembled in different orders. You end up with something made from the same basic stuff, but it's not the same end product.

Most burger places use very similar beef (80/20 chuck) in their patties, with little to no other ingredients added to the patty. Most of the difference comes from the way it was prepared.

I'll also add that if there's a health code violation then Denny's is the one in trouble not the virtual/ghost kitchen.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017

Okay, I think I get it, but my next question is, if that's how Beast Burgers are generally made, then how can Beast Burgers themselves be "bad"? People in the thread say they've had them and they suck. But really they're getting a variation of a Denny's (or wherever) burger.

How can Beast Burgers have that reputation if they're all made at different places?

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
Okay, I think I get it, but my next question is, if that's how Beast Burgers are generally made, then how can Beast Burgers themselves be "bad"? People in the thread say they've had them and they suck. But really they're getting a variation of a Denny's (or wherever) burger.

How can Beast Burgers have that reputation if they're all made at different places?
Because there's no quality control between the different places. What does Olive Garden know about cooking burgers? And that's just talking about known establishments, a lot of Ghost Kitchens are just unknown commercial buildings with an unknown staff with unknown experience.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

As far as I know, the only thing they're getting from VDC is the branded boxes and directions on how to prepare food to make it match the preset menu. The restaurant goes "sure, I have flour and some ovens, I guess I can sell cookies??" then the ghost kitchen people are like "cool, here's your pile of boxes. Congrats on opening a 'new restaurant'!"

For example, a bakery would use the same ingredients they already use, but they would get a special Mariah Carey branded cookie box and only sell the 6 generic Mariah Carey Brand Cookie flavors through that part of the app, which leads to something looking like this:
21-Mariahs_Cookies-0355_-_Site_banners_v3_desktop-2.jpg

I googled the address of the one place that sells these cookies near me and Google Maps tells me that the address is used for three different sushi restaurants.

RoaminRonin

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I gotta agree, but I also ain't ever gotten food poisoning from olive garden, which does not appear to be the case with Mr. Beast's burgers

View: https://twitter.com/xjakin/status/1686414120302661641

At some point, you just have to think that these ghost kitchens are purposely sabotaging Mr Beast. There's no way a Denny's cook will ever make a raw hamburger, especially that raw. These are line people are line cooks, they know their shit.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the Beast Burgers and fries I got a few times last year, but they were coming from a TooJays deli which has a good reputation around here.

The "Beast Style" fries with added chopped burger were delicious.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
People are getting too hung up on Denny's. Denny's is probably making the passable Beast Burgers. The problem is that Beast Burgers can also come from a sushi restaurant or a random filthy winnebago.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Agreed, Olive Garden and other chain restaurants at least (generally) have a standard quality they need to adhere to. That said, I have got food poisoning from Red Lobster, which I also wouldn't classify his "high quality" food, but it certainly isn't cheap fast food either.

I don't think the issue with Mr Beast Burger is that it is low quality food (although it often might be), it's the inherent lack of quality control required to run a ghost kitchen since there is no traceability and restaurants willing to go fully into that market likely aren't hiring well training cooks either.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
I really enjoyed the Beast Burgers and fries I got a few times last year, but they were coming from a TooJays deli which has a good reputation around here.

Fuck, I'd kill for some TooJays. One of the VERY FEW things I miss about Florida.

People are getting too hung up on Denny's. Denny's is probably making the passable Beast Burgers. The problem is that Beast Burgers can also come from a sushi restaurant or a random filthy winnebago.
This. The issue is you have no idea where its coming from unless you go out of your way to dig.

Oct 8, 2019

correct,

Best case scenario is your food comes from Denny's where a person is trained on how to make a decent hamburger

more likely this is where your food is being cooked here

reef_1604507085.png

A trailer in a parking lot

or like in the Eddy Burback video seemingly just some building like where you rent space for. Eddy Burback goes to the place where his food is made, its not a restaurant and certainly not a Denny's.

Seriously just watch the Eddy Burback Video its explain clearly there

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIkymh5Ayg

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
maybe im mistaken but isnt this good that mr beast backed out?

like, its bad he did the deal in the first place, but cutting the deal cuz the quality was shit seems like the right thing to do

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Toojays burgers are pretty good as far as deli chain burgers go, bet that was a good sized burger too

Oct 27, 2017

like, its bad he did the deal in the first place, but cutting the deal cuz the quality was shit seems like the right thing to do
It depends whose side you believe more. Mr Beast is suing to exit deal, mainly citing the quality issues and unauthorized use of his image. VCP is countersuing, claiming that Mr Beast started to publicly bad mouth the deal only after he was unable to renegotiate the agreement in his favour, and that he has no basis for backing out of the agreement. There's a lot more to each side, but I don't know enough to say which side has the better case. I dislike the concept of ghost kitchens, so I'd rather VCP lose, but that's just me.

Also, incredibly small fun fact - The Eddy Burback video was in the initial lawsuit from Mr Beast. It's literally the first thing in Exhibit B, which is just a collection of negative reviews for MrBeast Burger. If you link to a picture of a raw MrBeast Burger, chances are it's also in Exhibit B.

Aug 17, 2022
VDC sucks and Beast was more than happy to enthusiastically sell his name to them for a payday. They specifically used his name to raise their profile and popularize the concept, so he's partially responsible for what they do with their elevated profile, as well.

Fuck 'em both.

Yep, fuck him. And he tweeted "I signed it when I was young and dumb, stupid me"

Bullshit. You were a business with millions of fans, dollars and a staff that you are responsible for. You don't get to use "I'm a dumb kid hurrrr" as an excuse.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

He has to answer for all the bad burgers he caused into existence. Culinary crimes, like fashion crimes, are totally real and not something I just made up