• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most influential game of all time

• Super Mario Bros

Votes: 497 55.7%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 18 2.0%
  • Pacman

Votes: 44 4.9%
  • Goldeneye 007

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 149 16.7%
  • Doom

Votes: 140 15.7%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The game market is so large and varied, it's hard to say. Super Mario Bros is a great choice, certainly, and got my vote. Platformers are long past their prime, though. But I'd argue it didn't just inflence platformers. Hell, I once made the case that it influenced Doom, with its episodic levels, distinctive enemies, and secret areas.

That would be D&D / Wizardry / dungeon crawler influence, not Mario. The id team were all huge D&D nerds and Carmack had made a few RPGs himself.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
there's nothing to disagree. What you're claiming doesnt exist. It didnt happen. There was no video game crash on a whole. It happened only in the united states. It lasted like very little. It had no effect on any othre platform. It had no effect on consoles in europe. It had no effect on computers in the entire world. It had no effect in japan.

Its a non event. Somehow it became vastly overinflated and gets attributed significance it never had.

The nice thing about this wikipedia entry is that it goes into the numbers of how the crash in the US affected the industry worldwide. They even threw in a nice graph.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That would be D&D / Wizardry / dungeon crawler influence, not Mario. The id team were all huge D&D nerds and Carmack had made a few RPGs himself.

I actually e-mailed Romero and asked. He told me nope, they just wanted to make a kick-ass game based on Evil Dead and Aliens. Which of course, he's said many times in interviews. I was pretty disappointed in that answer; that's not a design, that's just a concept.

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wow. Final Fantasy 7 missing... I'll take my leave. Misguided status quo.

Sands of Time formula is essentially the game cloned to Assassin's Creeds, Batman, hero who beats 25 men in one go whilst traversing like a cartoon show šŸ˜‚

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I actually e-mailed Romero and asked. He told me nope, they just wanted to make a kick-ass game based on Evil Dead and Aliens. Which of course, he's said many times in interviews. I was pretty disappointed in that answer; that's not a design, that's just a concept.

That directly contradicts what Romero said in this interview, where he literally said Doom was inspired by a D&D session:

Then one day we were playing Dungeons & Dragons at the Texas HQ of our company, id Software, like we had done for years. John Carmack, lead programmer, was Dungeon Master as usual. I got greedy trying to procure a magic sword and caused the entire world to be overrun by demons. Something just clicked. We all loved sci-fi, especially Aliens: it was a fast-action movie and id wanted fast-action games. So what if ā€“ instead of finding aliens, like in every movie in the world ā€“ a player opened up a portal to hell? Your character, a space marine on a Martian base, would then have to fight all the demonic monsters pouring out.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Pong and Computer Space.

Oh, i see those are not in the poll.

(lol)

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That directly contradicts what Romero said in this interview, where he literally said Doom was inspired by a D&D session:

That's a cool story, but where's the contradiction? Again, this says nothing about game design, only concept. All he says is that the idea of using demons instead of aliens comes from that moment. He even mentions the movie Aliens, as he always does. He often mentions Evil Dead, too, as he did to me, for example in these interviews (which also mention D&D):

https://blankmaninc.com/john-romero-interview/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom/john-romero-interview-part-2

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to omit LoZ. The game that influenced game design than is still seen today.

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
Out of the list I voted "Doom" because it functionally created an entire genre of games and cemented the migration to 3D. That said, both "Pong" and "Space Invaders" seem way more influential.

Pong for getting video games into the home. Space Invaders for mass cultural awareness of video games.

This may not be a popular opinion but I hazard that if Super Mario Brothers handn't been bundled with systems it would be seen as just a run of the mill arcade platformer.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to omit LoZ. The game that influenced game design than is still seen today.

And Zelda was in turn influenced by Ultima and The Black Onyx.

oUuc7fg.gif

Actually, where is Ultima on the poll? Just about every RPG, as well as every open-world game, is descended from it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is definitely more beloved in Japan than it is in the West, it seems. I think we got it later than they did too because the graphics were altered to tie it into the cartoon?
If these release dates are correct, Midway's version was almost 5 months after Japan but still made it out in 1984.

I think, at least initially in 1985-1987, Ghosts 'n Goblins did more to popularize scrolling platformers in NA than SMB. The NES wasn't really mainstream until Christmas 1987 at the earliest while arcade GnG was a very common sight in public in 1986, at least in my experience. That's probably why they included it in the NES Classic. That port isn't considered a top NES game but the GnG name has value for older gamers.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fight between SMB1, SM64, and Doom, depending on what we're talking about.
OoT as well for the Z-Targeting mechanic.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If these release dates are correct, Midway's version was almost 5 months after Japan but still made it out in 1984.

I think, at least initially in 1985-1987, Ghosts 'n Goblins did more to popularize scrolling platformers in NA than SMB. The NES wasn't really mainstream until Christmas 1987 at the earliest while arcade GnG was a very common sight in public in 1986, at least in my experience. That's probably why they included it in the NES Classic. That port isn't considered a top NES game but the GnG name has value for older gamers.
It's funny you mention GnG cuz the original Makaimura is also one of those games that's mentioned in the same breaths as other influential games in Japan. For what it's worth, every kid I know had the NES version growing up lol

This board skews a little younger and is very console-centric as evidenced in threads like these. Outside of Pac-Man, you don't see arcade games on these lists.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
OP ran out of poll options, right? That's why Heiankyo Alien isn't on there? Or Space Invaders? Or, as another user mentioned, fucking TETRIS and PONG?

by the way, happy 35th to tetris

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's Doom.

Platformers are a niche product now, while basically every genre is now also an FPS, the biggest blockbusters are FPS, and we'll all still be playing FPS until we're dead.

Minecraft is an FPS.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'd throw Resident Evil 4 on the list, not because it invented the cover shooter (it didn't even have a cover system), but the ones that came after like Gears followed directly on from its changes in gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. is the only correct answer here, but I also endorse this message:

Maybe not all time, but Warcraft 3 is the most influential in the last 17 years.

It's certainly the most important user-content platform of all time and the common ancestor for a whole stack of design movements and ecosystems that are disproportionately underrepresented on Era (PC, mobile, e-sports, entire global markets like the one in China)ā€”but even the people who give it full credit for that tend to undersell WC3's foundational hand in World of Warcraft, a branch of WC3's legacy that speaks for itself.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo is far more influential than Goldeneye. The industry never chased making Goldeneye killers and most FPS games today still have traces of Halo design.

Also is MGS really influential? Regardless of quality, did it really disrupt or jump start anything other than its own franchise?

OP, these options feel tailored to your personal tastes, which is fine, but doesn't feel actually representative to what's deserving imo.

Oct 28, 2017
Nearly every 3d game owes something to Mario 64. That's why imo it's the most influential game of all time.

Mario bros is similar with 2d, but imo more 2d mechanics were already in place by that time from games like pitfall and donkey kong.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
What in the fuck is that Goldeneye pick over so many First Person Shooters? That game is influential if you use a qualifier, for console FPS. The rest of the genre was wildly outclassing Goldeneye at the time and their impact has been felt to this day.

Goldeneye could have actually never existed and the FPS genre loses nothing of value.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
What in the fuck is that Goldeneye pick over so many First Person Shooters? That game is influential if you use a qualifier, for console FPS. The rest of the genre was wildly outclassing Goldeneye at the time and their impact has been felt to this day.

Goldeneye could have actually never existed and the FPS genre loses nothing of value.

I'm not sure either.

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of y'all are sleeping a bit on MGS.

Like MGS was one of the very first and most successful games to bring in elements of film and sets the stage for story-telling in games going forward. It's not a coincidence that Kojima is a film-buff. From the cutscenes, to the cinematography, to the voice acting, to the complex story-telling, it's all very obviously super film-inspired. So much of the film-inspiration we see in AAA game production (The Last of Us says hey) owes a lot to Metal Gear Solid, imo.

It at least deserves to be part of the conversation.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
Halo definitely belongs here. Revolutionized console fps and online competitive gameplay

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Like MGS was one of the very first and most successful games to bring in elements of film and sets the stage for story-telling in games going forward. It's not a coincidence that Kojima is a film-buff. From the cutscenes, to the cinematography, to the voice acting, to the complex story-telling, it's all very obviously super film-inspired. So much of the film-inspiration we see in AAA game production (The Last of Us says hey) owes a lot to Metal Gear Solid, imo.

Adventure games have been doing story heavy gameplay a decade earlier. Wing Commander had actual actors filmed like a movie for cutscenes. Wing Commander, the highly popular series that sold many millions of copies.

MGS actually had very little if any influence. Is its own thing for the most part. You cant really say we play games in a certain way today because of MGS. It didnt create stealth, that was Thief. It didnt create cinematic storytelling, because pc games were doing it since the previous decade.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doom is the most influential, while Super Mario Bros is the most important (for making Nintendo a thing in the console business). That's a very key distinction.

Super Mario 64 is the only one on the list I feel is arguably as influential as Doom.

Goldeneye on the list instead of Halo CE is bizarre. It's pretty clear which one of those games had more impact on the console FPS.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What about Pitfall? If Mario gets a shoutout, shouldn't Harry too? And probably Half-Life (2) should be in the poll.

We had games with FMV years before MGS, I'd say the film inspiration was already heavily there. Or adventure games like we got from Lucas Arts, The Dig was even originally intended for TV by Steven Spielberg (too costly to film, so they made it a game). Full Throttle was also very cinematic, action setpieces included. Playing games like those and Broken Sword etc. made it feel like I was playing an animated movie.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spacewar!, and it's not even close.

It basically invented what video games are to this day.
Spacewar! is certainly important, but I just can't say it's the most important just because it came first. Video games were an inevitability as computers became more complex, and they were even predicted in some capacities before SpaceWar! such as with Chess games played by radio waves. I give more credit to what defined games as they became in this case, which of the poll options would probably by Super Mario Bros.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
From this list I'd say Super Mario.

But the fact that people are scoffing at Metal Gear Solid being this list makes me wonder if people are just too young to remember the impact it had on gaming when it came out or if they've just forgotten. It wasn't influential for creating stealth gameplay, it was influential for bridging the gap between movies and games. Elements such as stepping out onto the dock and walking around whilst the opening credits were displayed on the screen, the realtime cutscenes and a cast of characters with well defined backgrounds, it was the first time I felt like I was playing a hollywood movie and it was the moment that showed me the true potential of video games as a medium. All the little intricacies of the game such as soldiers seeing your cold breath around corner and the psycho mantis boss fight. I'm not sure why people are trying to discredit the game for what it did for the gaming beyond that.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
None of these. Real and absolute answer is Wolfenstein 3D. Before doom and whilst not the first it absolutely was the grandad of FPS genre...