Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wartortle is actually a reference to minogame, turtles that live so long they develop tails made of seaweed and algae.
Edobambooscroll01.jpg

Some of Wartortle's pokedex entries describe them being symbols of longevity and living 10,000 years specifically as references to minogame.
Oh that's cool. I feel the seaweed stuff didn't translate at all to the design but good to know. Still makes Blatoise as an evil a bit strange but whatever.

ChakosCough

Oct 27, 2017
It's a subjective topic right? I find him to be terrible. 4x to Rock, weak to Electric, Water (the most common type in the series), and lacked the bulk to be able to tank hits. Blastoise is a better option in almost every capacity imo.

Boost Charizard's speed and special, teach him solar beam - rock and water are no longer an issue

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think most of the examples in this thread have less to do with disappointing final evos and more to do with fucking awesome middle evos. It's not their fault they couldn't surpass that awesomeness.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Also +1 for Primarina. Probably the most disappointed I've been in a starter evolution. Awful, ugly little mermaid clown. I loved Popplio's design but then it just kept getting worse and worse.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Incineroar, Primarina and Decidueye in that order are all just godawful.

Incineroar in particular looks just goofy and doesn't fit well with his prior evolutions. Fuck that guy.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
250px-700Sylveon.png

worst eeveelution - Look at those eyes!
250px-101Electrode.png

it's bigger and it's white and red instead of red and white
250px-362Glalie.png

coming from snorunt, glalie comes across as pretty uninspired. get froslass instead

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Gen IV evolutions to prior Pokemon such as Gen I etc with special mention to Probopass, Magnazone, and Gallade:
It takes Nosepass which was cute but useless and turns it into this I do like the idea but it could have been much better. Magnazone is just a flying saucer... Whilst Gallade is the exact same sort of thing I feel it just doesn't match the trend set by the prior evolutionary line. Though for Gen IV Gliscor and Roserade buck this trend by being rather complimentary to their evolutionary lines and useful.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately for Chespin, not only is it's final evolution total ass but the rest of it's evolution line is as well.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda like Chesnaught, fits his line to me better than a lot of final starter Evo's.

I was a little disappointed with Empoleon. He looks cool, but a little too stiff, like he couldnt actually fight that well, haha.

And Snivey was a big disappointment. The final evolution genuinely looks pretty good, but loosing the arms was a big downgrade for me. That was one of the first starters I ever benched once I hit the final evolution.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I have to agree with the sentiment about Goodra. I'm borrowing from that Bogleech review, but I have to agree that while Goodra is solid as its own Pokemon, it's disappointing as the conclusion to the Goomy line.

I also have to express disappointment at all the people hating on Chesnaught, Incineroar, & Emboar. And at anyone defending Typhlosion. That design was always weak, & I'm convinced people just forced themselves to love the new Fire-Type starter because they wanted another Charizard.

250px-165Ledyba.png

Turns into

250px-166Ledian.png

Super underwhelming and all its stats suck only slightly less.

I wouldn't call Ledian underwhelming at all; the stats made it completely unusable but that design is tight.

It makes sense though, anger comes after grief, or wait is it the other way around?

Anger is part of the grieving process, following Kubler-Ross' model. If you meant depression, then anger comes before the depression. Ultimately, however, grief is less of a 5-step, conclusive process & more something that everyone experiences differently to varying degrees throughout one's life, so for many, anger comes after depression... then the depression comes back, then the anger follows, etc.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I like incineroar because he's basically King from tekken, who is my absolute favorite fighting game character ever created. His Z move was hype too.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oddish last evolution suck. And so does victreebel. Most grass type that have 3 evolution sucks...

And I have to agree in cindaquil. His final evolution is getting up, seriously? And I'm pretty sure he is not the only one who gets up as a evolution, ritght?

SuperMario

Oct 28, 2017
Delphox is a crime to Fennekin's cuteness and Braixen's style.

Also Incineroar is hideous. Poor Litten.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In defense of Blastoise his cannons are not made for shooting straight, he's supposed to be spinning around while shooting. It's hilarious because unlike Squirtle he's a huge 2 ton heavy turtle-tank, but still, I think that's the idea. Still makes more sense that Charizard not being a dragon or Venusaur existing.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I always thought fully evolved Pokemon were supposed to be kinda ugly e.g. the same way many animals are cute when they are little and get bigger and uglier as time goes on.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Worst starter final evolutions:
incineroar.gif
blaziken.gif
emboar.gif
samurott.gif
chesnaught.gif

Best starter final evolutions:
delphox.gif
charizard.gif
feraligatr.gif
serperior.gif
primarina.gif
How is Inceneror and Blaziken in "worst" and have Ferraligator, Serperior, and Primarina in "best".

Ferraligator I wouldn't say is in either, but Inceneror and Blaziken are easily some of the best starter final evolutions, and Serperior and Primarina are the worst, even outside of starters.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
How is Inceneror and Blaziken in "worst" and have Ferraligator, Serperior, and Primarina in "best".

Ferraligator I wouldn't say is in either, but Inceneror and Blaziken are easily some of the best starter final evolutions, and Serperior and Primarina are the worst, even outside of starters.

Blaziken and Incineroar are exactly where they belong.

Where the hell is Empoleon?

Somewhere in the middle.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Togekiss, we go from this cutie:

QqB46xW.gif

To a unimaginative blob:
ztVS1SF.png

I get your point tbh. I wasn't that into Togekiss when it was revealed (nostalgia trip... i remember browsing Serebii for the japanese info leak) however i grew to love the design. It's clearly meant to be a bird that can carry you away, and his/her stats are amazing, as it's moveset. I don't know if it's still in the OU tier but i remember it was quite popular.

First page doesn't have Chesnaught. That's the worse for me i think.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how people don't like Chesnaught. Some random color scheme pickiness imo. Chespin was the first starter I've liked at the same level as gen 1 and Quilladin was one of the worst evos of all time so personally I was super happy to get Chesnaught at the end, he cool. I think starters have been pretty great lately. I would love to see the next versions feature starter evos on the box again

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017

Nah, bruh. I kind of agree. I don't necessarily think Decidueye is one of the WORST, but some aspects of its design just don't work for me. The awkward long legs and that strange stance it has with its wings tucked into its chest just looks weird to me. The awkwardness of the design is heavily accentuated in Pokken, too...

Actually the way I feel about Decidueye is pretty much in line with how I feel about Blaziken; generally loved design that I personally find awkward in a lot of ways.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how people don't like Chesnaught. Some random color scheme pickiness imo. Chespin was the first starter I've liked at the same level as gen 1 and Quilladin was one of the worst evos of all time so personally I was super happy to get Chesnaught at the end, he cool. I think starters have been pretty great lately. I would love to see the next versions feature starter evos on the box again
Its arms looks weird.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Don't personally care for this one due to the reason stated in this image.

ikdEQwl.png
I didn't know about this until I played Ultra Sun, and it made me like it more since the bows served a purpose. The lore reasons for its "feelers" made it feel a lot more brutal than it should be, and made for some nice juxtaposition with its appearance. Even the soulless eyes grew on me after a while.

Did everybody forget Muk?
Muk is definitely guilty of the "it's the same as the first form but bigger" trend that I usually dislike. It would be a much better Pokemon if Grimer didn't exist.

At least Alolan Muk looks cool.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
250px-700Sylveon.png

worst eeveelution - Look at those eyes!

Yeah, I am not a fan of Sylveon either. It's too slow, too defensively weak and the design is just to busy. Plus no counterpart just makes it forgettable in my eyes.

I'm sure you're talking about shitty Bellossom and not the wonderful Vileplume, right?

Speaking of which, has there ever been a more unnecessary evolution than Bellossom? It's worse than Vileplume in every way.

I like Bellossom and I find it interesting how she's the only Pokémon that loses a typing in a evolution, whereas other Pokémon either gain a new type or swap out a typing for another. It's a shame that Game Freak didn't do more concept like that.

(I don't consider mega Aggron as an evolution but more of a burst mode form, so it doesn't count in my eyes, which is a shame as I felt that mega Aggron should have been a split evolution for Lairon.)

giphy.gif

Blaziken is lucky Emboar exists or else it'd be hands down the worst fire starter as far as appearance goes.

Nah Blaziken is pretty cool and I actually like its mega form, though I much prefer Infernape,

I like Chespin and Quilladin but Chesnaught is just kinda meh. Plus I have used it once and I found that it didn't hit hard and it was far too slow and had too many weakness to be a tanky Pokémon.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
250px-727Incineroar.png

Looks like a goofy cartoon character (wtf is with those massive hands?)
Weird thin legs.
What is with that round end to the tail? Both pre-evolutions have the tuft of fur on the end, not weirdly a little further down.
Why the fuck is he bipedal like every other fucking fire starter, and a muscular fighter at that?

Like, overall I like his design more than like Emboar and Delphox but I just hate what he stands for. He's like a living meme.

*Litten revealed*
"I bet it evolves and gets on two legs and gains tons of muscle"