• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Demon's Souls the game for me. I realised pretty late that the constant anxiety didn't make for an enjoyable experience. I quit and turned my back on all From Soft games then and there.

Another more recent example would be escaping the rapidly flooding Ginso Tree in Ori and the Blind Forest. It was the height of Summer but my hands were cold as ice. The relief at its conclusion was tremendous though.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Haunting Ground for me.

Instead of Mr X, you have an enemy that will also never die (Until a certain point in story, so another enemy hunts you in the same way), can easily reach you because it's definitely faster than your character in a lot of situations, and makes the girl you're playing as panicking with awful slow motion/light effects, which in turn is bad enough to make you give up and just restart a load game.

What you have against that? Hiding in silly places. Works 50% of the time.

I love this game, but fuck this game.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Losing loot and or progress in games, this is why can't stand rogue-thing games.

Sekiro stressed me too in terms of farm, so I continued to go back and forth to secure skill points before going into new zones or zones where there was to be clearly a boss.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Death Stranding's BT encounters actually had me taking breaks. They're really tense, made worse by the fact that some of these fuckers aren't detected by your scanner and can sneak up on you pretty easily unless you look very closely. You could just feel something's about to go wrong each time they're around. This game is like part mountaineering, part sci-fi horror, part transporter, part stealth action.

Also in Death Stranding, some terrains are really damn difficult to navigate, and there's the anxiety that I'm definitely going to restart the delivery if one of those drops damages the actual cargo because my OCD wants an S Rank for everything. At least the game has an extremely good save system that allows you to save often.

And again in Death Stranding, these damn storms fuck everything and wind physics actually affects your balance. You could either try to wait it out if you're lucky enough to find a cave, which I don't have the patience for, or you could just yolo it and watch as your batteries and stamina drain from running through the storm too much.

I love the game but whew, it affects my nerves more than any Souls game ever did. The way this open world tests you is really crazy at times. I love it.
For me DS was easy AF sadly, you just need to use the Bola Gun and you will do whatever you want versus BT... I just ran into them and blocked them as soon they appeared.
And wind never affected me since it's really rare to have it, a bit only in the Wind Farm forest, otherwise just use the Power Exoskeleton and hold L2 and R2 sometime and that's it.

Same for terrains... at that point you walk on those like nothing without warring of falling or other stuff... you have to worry of those thing for the very first hours of the game, but when you take the motorbike, exoskeleton and especially ziplines the game become stupidly easy :'(

p.s. if you kill them they doesn't reappear too so it's even easier in that way.

Last edited:

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
There have definitely been times of anxiety in FFXIV... Most notably when suddenly... Oh, you're playing as a totally different class for this duty, and you can't re-map the keys to how you want... Enjoy!

Other than that, I pretty much refuse to play Overcooked now

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Zw6zVxn.gif

Darkwood

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
One that always sticks out in my memory is that bit in Half Life 2 where you have to navigate your way along the underside a bridge.

It's not like I was unaccustomed to 3D or FPS at that point. Been playing games like that for years. Even the Half Life had it's share of precarious moments, and yet something about that sequence in particular put the vertigo in me. Same with Ravenholm.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Resident Evil 1 Remake still does it. If you play it too much you become too familiar with it, and desensitized to its encounters. If you're playing it a few times you're always uneasy about what happens around the corner of the fixed camera shots. They play with mirrors sinisterly placed so once you enter a corner you can see the legs of a zombie approaching the mirror. There are a lot of things like that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
ZombiU

I played that game in long ass bursts because it was so addictive and I would get so wrapped up in trying to get my character to survive.

Also, this game features one of the most fucked up and terrifying locations in a game ever. I'd consider myself a jaded lifelong Horror fan and the Baconfield building was the scariest, grimmest shit I've played since Silent Hill.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not horror at all but I have a thing about heights and playing The Last Guardian was pretty uncomfortable to me. I can't entirely explain it because it's never been an issue for me in any game. I can only guess that it was a mix of the vertigo environments and the control response making you never feel like you had proper control over the boy that left me feeling so uneasy when I played.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I said my first "fuck" when I was little while fighting scar from Lion King on the Genesis.

Any raid boss in D1 (sans Ethernet susceptible Crota) when they're at like 1 percent health.

Most recent: Finally beating
Ishhin
in sekiro. That mother fucker was no joke.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
I tried the claire b route, and i get killed within the first 30min because i dont have any ammo. Am i doing something wrong?
Loved the part with leon, but claire b-route is sooo hard?
Had a very tough time already with leon.
Best horrorgame!

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017

The whole mission really. But especially that later part where she's at the control room terminal

Dec 6, 2017
US
How about that part in RE4 where you have to protect Ashley while she raises the platforms or whatever in the castle 'water hall' area?

On higher difficulty this segment is insanely anxiety-inducing, especially when she starts being carried off by some fucking creepy bald zombie monk while another one rips into you with one of those chain maces that makes the most vicious sound when it hits and staggers the crap out of Leon.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
ZombiU

I played that game in long ass bursts because it was so addictive and I would get so wrapped up in trying to get my character to survive.

Also, this game features one of the most fucked up and terrifying locations in a game ever. I'd consider myself a jaded lifelong Horror fan and the Baconfield building was the scariest, grimmest shit I've played since Silent Hill.
I also came into this thread to talk about ZombiU!

Yes, the Baconfield Nursery was indeed very anxiety-inducing.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
In Metroid Fusion, the SA-X escape sequences still make me anxious thinking about them. I guess it's a common video game trope, but it was my first experience with a recurring undefeatable pursuing foe and the environment and writing just seemed so oppressive. Why do I like it so much?

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about Amnesia. not being able to properly look at the monsters or you go insane is such a genius game mechanic that makes it even scarier

Oct 28, 2017
Everything about Amnesia. not being able to properly look at the monsters or you go insane is such a genius game mechanic that makes it even scarier

This. Amnesia is the only game I had to force myself to continue playing. Leaving a safe location to explore some pitch black cellar was mind-wrecking.

Penumbra, too (playing that for the first time right now). It's not on the same level as Amnesia, mainly because the dogs just aren't that scary after a while and quite predictable, so those parts just seem like a stealth game. But the atmosphere is still top notch, and fuck the spider caves and the chase sequences.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Never played it, but I imagine something like Irritating Stick on PS1 would be that.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Play Overwatch at 60Hz while not sober and have 12 ults go off one after the other on the point. All that bass from the ultimates, all those effects, 12 people in a single room. Can't tell wtf is going on. I went and bought a 240Hz monitor after that.

Horror games? No thanks, I got my fill.

Last edited:

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Another one of mine - playing Alien Isolation in VR, yet to see the monster, walking around scared stiff ... I hear footsteps... I think coming from the ceiling ventilation...louder...super loud. I hug the wall by a crate. The alien drops a meter infront of me, I can see him irl. Scared stiff and completely still. It walks by slowly sniffing the air, thank god I showered. Didn't move for a good 30 seconds after. Then run to a save spot and never launch the game again.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The glasps in Resident Evil: Revelations 2. I hate the sound they make when flying, I hate the nauseating screen effect when they're nearby, and I hate how they kill you.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Challenge in The Witness.
It's 14 random puzzles in 6 minutes. Each time you get a puzzle incorrect, the current one fades out and you're forced to go back and solve the previous one again. You can't brute force with guesses like some of the puzzles in the game. It's designed with the assumption you understand the rules of all the puzzles in the game.
If you used a walkthrough through some parts (like me) or most of the way of the game, you're pretty much fucked once you reach The Challenge room. And the music playing just adds to the anxiety. I lost my goddamn mind doing it trial and error for over a week.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Being the last one alive on your team in a game of Siege.
Especially when it's match point and you're up against their best player in a 1v1... and then this starts playing.

Never felt anxiety like that outside of the horror genre.

Edit: Except for the Sonic drowning music of course.

Last edited:

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
If Id pick one moment it would be: Going under the gas clouds of Giants Deep in Outer Wilds, I was overwhelmed with panic when I realized what laid underneath. I left my ship in despair and died shortly after. I had to take a long break and gather courage before I was ready for another attempt.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
PUBG - getting into the last 10 and with every step closer to winning the anxiety and heart rate just goes into ridiculous levels. Nothing else has ever come close. There are times I've been worried how it effects me and I don't play it any more, it's not worth it.

Surprised to read so many people get anxious at single player games though, don't think I've ever been anxious more than very slightly outside of competitive multiplayer.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any Souls game where you have died and know you'll have to face a gauntlet to get your currency back

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 on Mein Leben, especially at the end of the game feels like your life is on the line lol

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
RE7.....I dont think Ive stopped playing a horror game because it was too scary in 15 years