• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
MDJkacm.png

General info

Platform:
PlayStation VR
Release date: February 27
Genre: Action/Adventure/Puzzle
Price: $29.99 / €29.99 / £24.99
Developer: Polyarc
Publisher: Polyarc​

What is Moss?

From the official website:

Moss is a single player action-adventure puzzle game for all ages. Built for virtual reality from the ground up, Moss reimagines classic action-adventure gameplay in a first-of-its-kind fully immersive environment.

Your every action has meaning. Moss takes full advantage of today's virtual reality technology, letting you move objects, battle enemies, and manipulate the field of play as the key ally to our hero, Quill.

Travel to a lively world that hums with wonder and legend. Explore caves, forests, and foreboding ruins that are filled with ancient artifacts, mysterious creatures, and sprawling views.

Your abilities are complementary to Quill's in an alliance for the ages. Combine classic, action-adventure controls with a world that responds to your touch. Solve puzzles, combat evil, and achieve victory together.​

Pictures say more than words...

ksWjAOF.jpg
4VPpAQy.png

LJtSZWB.png
tiMuHtB.png

...and video even more!

Bonus cute gif :)
40208129171_6955706306_o.gif

Reviews

Eurogamer - Recommended
Polyarc really has created the perfect game for PSVR here. It's not just something that youngsters and adults alike can enjoy; it's also an experience you'll want to share with as many people as possible. This is VR that's capable of changing people's perception of the platform from one that's a novelty, to one that's a legitimate, exciting progression for gaming as a whole.

Push Square - 7/10 (Video)
Moss is sublime throughout, but it's so good that you'll wish there was more of it. Much more of it. Clocking in at just a few hours, the game feels like the prologue for a much bigger adventure, and it'll leave you yearning for more. As a virtual reality experience, only minor technological limitations detract from its lush fantasy world and cunning use of the medium. There's no doubt that Polyarc's built the foundations for something truly special here; it now needs to write a few more chapters in Quill's tale.

Metro - 8/10
If you own a PlayStation VR then there is no question: you must play Moss. Given the length we wouldn't go so far as to say this is a game worth buying the hardware for, but it is the most compelling post-launch title so far and a hugely encouraging sign of things to come.

Critical Hit - 8.5/10
Moss is a joyous, delightful experience that is both captivating and enchanting. It's one of those games that leaves you with an indelible smile on your face from beginning to end. It's just a pity that the end comes so soon.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
Moss is an absolute joy to play, proving that a great VR experience doesn't always require that you flail your arms around while fending off bouts of motion sickness. It's a wonderfully realised puzzle platformer with clever twists, beautiful backdrops, and an adorable hero, making PlayStation VR even more tempting for prospective buyers.

UploadVR - 9/10

Moss is the hidden gem the PSVR never knew it needed. From the first moment we played the game at E3 almost a year ago until we saw the closing credits roll, Quill's adventure has captivated our hearts and minds. Moss strikes that perfect balance between tense, action-packed moments of combat with slow, methodical puzzles that require you to rethink the way you interact with video games through the power of VR. Polyarc has crafted one of PSVR's most essential games to date.

VentureBeat - 9/10
Moss is my favorite VR experience so far. This is partly due to the fact that it's extremely gentle. Because it doesn't task you with moving through the environment, it's an accessible VR game for people who are prone to getting motion sick. The world's beauty is also a draw.

Road to VR - 7.9/10
Moss is the beautiful opening to a promising tale of an adorable mouse and her silent helper. It's an artfully crafted game that you will want more of—more content, more story, and more depth. Moss feels like an opening chapter that's trying too hard to be a self contained story. It got the ball rolling but fumbled when it came to bring all the pieces together. If Polyarc can follow through with their (apparent) plans for timely episodic installments to the world of Moss, and continue building on this foundation, this could be the start of a world you'll look forward to losing yourself in any time there's a new story to be told.

Digital Trends - 9/10
Moss bridges the gap between traditional games and virtual reality experiences. It's an adventure game brimming with charm, crafty puzzles, and a fully realized fairy tale world that makes you feel as if you are really there. Moss is proof that virtual reality games can redefine well-known genres.

VRFocus - 5/5
Moss is a flawlessly crafted experience starring a character that absolutely deserves to be the face of modern VR. Every inch of the world shows attention to detail, and a story is woven that draws you in, making you truly invested in the world and in Quill as a person. All that can be wished for is that there was more. Get on that, Polyarc.

Playfront.de (German) - 9.2/10
Moss galt von Anfang an als echter Geheimtipp für PlayStation VR, das sich durch sein nicht ganz konventionelles Konzept von den meisten Spielen im VR-Bereich abhebt. Und es wird euch auch nicht enttäuschen. Auch wenn die Story mit seinen 3 bis 4 Stunden recht schnell wieder vorbei ist, denkt man immer mit einem Lächeln im Gesicht daran zurück. Die kleine Heldin Quill punktet von Anfang an mit einem enormen Sympathiefaktor, gepaart mit niedlich umgesetzten Ideen, innovativen Gameplay-Ansätzen, einer wunderschönen Spielwelt und einem verträumten Soundtrack, mit denen man sich in der Welt von Moss verlieren kann.

SpazioGames (Italian) - 8/10
Moss is a charming puzzle game that every Playstation VR owner should play.
EveryEye (Italian) - 8.5/10
Although it is a title as short as it is simple, Moss still manages to ensnare our body and soul in an adventure that we would never want to end: the PlayStation VR becomes the gateway to a world that is amazing and enveloping, to explore in the company of one of the most "living" virtual characters of all time.

FAQ

• Can I play this game without PlayStation VR?
    No, the game is designed around VR and it's the only way you can play the game. No plans to release a non-VR version have been announced.

• Is a physical release planned?
    Not at this time.

• How do I get the sweet dynamic Moss theme?
    Sadly, it was pre-order exclusive so it's not available anymore.

• Is Quill a boy or girl?
    Quill is a girl.

• Is the game localized?
    Aside from the standard English options, the French and German versions will have voice over and text translations. There are also English, French, German, Korean and Japanese text translations.

• Does this game have a Platinum Trophy?
    As a matter of fact, it does!

Also something worth of note: Quill communicates with the player in sign language! :)

DQanTzz.gif

Read more about it here!

ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Last edited:

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Nice OT! I really liked the demo but it looked quite blurry on a regular PS4, is the final game any better than that?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4-5 hours with almost no replay value doesn't sound too good for 30EUR, but it looks great so I'll probably try it one day.

OP
OP
kubus

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll go and play it right now and finally see my Moss theme in action! So dumb that in EU we had to wait for the game to release before we could use the theme :P

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I will be picking this up later on today/this week when I make the time.

Really looking forward to this. Probably my biggest surprise of the second demo disk as I really didn't think it would have been my sort of thing.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Good job on the OP. Have this pre-ordered so looking forward to dive in tomorrow. :)
Chronos & Lucky's Tale remain some of my favorite VR experiences. This takes the third-person platformer/adventurer a further step into VR with the mouse & spirit cooperation.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Great OT, amazing game. Looking forward to the reviews.

This game is another great example that VR doesn't need to be first person focused.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
Great OT and some great scores there.

I'm picking this up at the weekend and really looking forward to it. It's been on my radar since the first teasers and it looks to be another killer app to go alongside RE7 and Superhot.

4-5 hours seems an absolutely perfect length for me. I'll probably complete it in 2-3 sessions.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
4-5 hours with almost no replay value doesn't sound too good for 30EUR, but it looks great so I'll probably try it one day.

i don't know about you but personally, for VR games, i actually prefer shorter experiences......as good as a killer app RE7 is....i think it's abit too long for me to play through the whole thing in VR...

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know about you but personally, for VR games, i actually prefer shorter experiences......as good as a killer app RE7 is....i think it's abit too long for me to play through the whole thing in VR...

I like long and short, same with regular gaming. I didn't think RE7 was a long game though I completed it in two sittings with an end time of around 7hrs, the game does get a lot weaker once you leave the house though so maybe this contributed to it feeling longer.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Feb 15, 2018
I think this may be next PSVR purchase (its been a while). I really should play Resi 7 first, but this seems a bit more... approachable. Plus the way that demo cut off makes me feel obliged to get involved.
Nice to hear that the IQ is supposed to be improved for the Pro. Despite it being decent in the demo, it would be nice to see a small boost (i am yet to see a game where the boost has been anything more than small tbh).

OP
OP
kubus

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Just played for a bit. I'm floored by how beautiful, playful and fun it is. I had to let out a few loud "awww"s at Quill's cuteness. Loving every second of it, and now I'm actually sad that the game is so short.

The trophy for beating the game gives me hope that there's gonna be more Moss later (I think it says "Complete the first book of Moss" or something?).

Anyway, if you have a PSVR; don't sleep on this game.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a good PSVR game though don't have time for this atm I'll pick up on sale in the Summer I think.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not in the OT, but here's my Moss review:

Moss is sublime throughout, but it's so good that you'll wish there was more of it. Much more of it. Clocking in at just a few hours, the game feels like the prologue for a much bigger adventure, and it'll leave you yearning for more. As a virtual reality experience, only minor technological limitations detract from its lush fantasy world and cunning use of the medium. There's no doubt that Polyarc's built the foundations for something truly special here; it now needs to write a few more chapters in Quill's tale.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/moss

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
been excited for this one since it was first shown. game length is a little disappointing, but if it's all great that's all that matters.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great OT, love the cute animated gif too.

I'm guessing that video walkthrough that was up yesterday was edited or something? Because it seemed to be close to 90-100 minutes with the intro and outro removed according to people that took a look.

I'll be waiting for a bit more impressions before diving in.

OP
OP
kubus

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I feel like I took my time searching every nook and cranny for collectibles (I only missed 3) but still I probably beat the game in approx. 4 hours? It is quite short, which is really quite unfortunate....

....because holy shit I need/want more of this. I really loved every second of the game. There's so much love put into the world, the storytelling, the characters, etc. that it really feels like a shame that the game ends so quickly. The ending did confirm for me that more Moss is coming, because this was "Book 1" and I couldn't be happier.

The price is kinda steep considering the game is only a few hours, but it was more than worth it for me. It's pretty embarrassing to admit but I actually had to cry a little at the ending, because the game was so beautiful. I wasn't really blown away by VR yet but Moss completely sold me on the technology now. Interacting with Quill and literally being able to reach out and peek inside this wonderful little world she lives in... it's simply not possible without VR. I took a bunch of screenshots during the game and was excited to share them with you in this thread but when I looked at them without the headset, that magic feeling was gone and they're rubbish now.

9/10 from me only because I feel like the game could use another chapter and I encountered two bugs.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
-Apparently it's clear when you finish that the game has episodic content, and that this is just one of the episodes.
- Eurogamer says: "The only major criticism I can give to Moss is that, at three and a half to four hours long, it's all over far too quickly."
- Venturebeat says: "Some may wince at shelling out $30 for a game that lasts four maybe five hours. "
- DigitalTrends says: "Our first playthrough took us about four hours, but we immediately turned the pages back to the beginning to take a closer look at each chapter and scour for collectibles."
- And yes, the guy on Youtube played it in less than 2 hours.
- My feeling is that it will depend on the person. It took me 40 minutes just to get to where the game really starts. I died about 6 times and had trouble with 2 puzzles.
- I think it's fair to say that what's been released so far is on the short side if that bothers you. But it's definitely the highest quality game on PSVR.

If it's the length most people say it is, I'm perfectly fine with it (even though more of this quality would be amazing of course).

I was just worried when the first playthrough we heard from was under 2 hours. Just glad that it isn't the norm. At least it's not another Inpatient.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Awesome! I was hoping we'd have an OT for this game, and I'm very happy the game seems to have lived up to my expectations for it. Can't wait to download this when I get home!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All right then, Moss looks great. I'm in.

Of course, it's a little disappointing that it's not longer. There's no doubt VR is better in smaller doses, but $30 for a four-hour game is a bit dear.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This looks so lovely. I don't care if it is short as long as it is good. Will escape the wintery hellscape of our cold reality with this tonight.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews sound good. Will definitely boot up my PSVR for it once I can tear myself away from MonHun.