• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
I watched or more accurately due to not wanting to see any spoilers, I listened to a guy playing last night and he had great things to say about it. He was especially impressed by how good it looked and overall impressions were very positive. He did end up rage quitting at a point where a number of bugs attack at the same time along with some kind of projectiles being fired at you. I'm not sure if there's a game mechanic he was missing or if was really that hard so it will be interesting to hear from others as they play through.

I hope they're already working on book two.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Ah man, right when I get my PSVR the big hit is a game where you play as a rodent?

Not sure if I want because I tend to hate Animal characters (Spyro, Crash, et al.) ... but maybe some impressions will turn me around.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 1-2 hours of the game and really like it so far. The platforming, puzzle solving, exploration and fighting make it a really engaging VR experience.

Some of the fights were more challenging then I expected, they start off very easy with one attack button and the ability to dodge, but with multiple enemies on screen that all rush towards you and additional enemies firing at you from the distance, fighting quickly becomes more tactical than I thought it would be. I've found if easier to play standing up because it makes it easier to use the motion controls to stun/posses enemies and heal Quill.

Quill herself is a great new character, she has lovely animations and the interplay between her and you, the reader, is my highlight so far. Can't wait to play more in the coming days.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When I finish, I want to go back and watch that guy who played so fast. I've already played for 3 and a half hours and I just got to a big hub area with a lot of locked doors leading to other big areas. Some of the puzzles and combat areas have taken 15-20 minutes to get through. I definitely will be playing it again. There were story aspects that I missed because I was so mindblown by the visuals, so I want to play again and listen more carefully; then there are the collectables and hidden areas. I've tried to be careful, looking for them, but there have been some real headscratchers that I just couldn't figure out how to get to and passed by. This might be the first game that I enjoy being in the world so much that I would like to Platinum it.
Looking forward to hearing back from you on this.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Image quality on Pro is great, really sharp. Never played the demo on a Pro so I can't compare.
While I could have played some more I decided to take a break for today as I don't want it to end so soon. This really feels very polished.
I can see how some might find it too expensive but I'm fine with supporting such a high quality VR title on day one with the full price.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Been interested in this one for quite a while. I may hold out until the title goes on sale, as $30 for ~3 hours is a little steep, but I may just bite the bullet and go all in anyway.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Bravo to Polyarc on this, really hope they get some good uptake on this.

VR games don't really get enough reviews to warrant a separate thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/moss-review-thread-psvr-spoiler-its-great.26136/

What about this really well done one? :b

Also something worth of note: Quill communicates with the player in sign language! :)

DQanTzz.gif

Just saw this - that is fucking wonderful, man.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Installing now, but my internet is so slow I won't be able to play until tomorrow. I'm really anxious for this one. I loved the demo.

Edit: $30 is pretty steep but I had some credit left from GameStop so I got it for $20.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
kubus you restored my faith in reset era :D Great work thanks for doing this. Game is fantastic, about 2 hours in, about to bolt home from work and finish!!!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play the demo and I know almost nothing about this but the high review scores sold me on the game. Bought!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently this is what Quill says in the gif

"It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Quill."

Oct 25, 2017
VR games don't really get enough reviews to warrant a separate thread.
It really bothers me how lots of gaming sites have completely ignored VR so far.
MattAces just loves to contradict me. That is all.
:-p
Maybe if the coverage got more traffic/visibility it'd get more coverage, so I think it's good we get a review thread.
Particularly for a very well reviewed game, that avoids the issues around motion sickness.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
About halfway thru I would think and the game is so good. Looks so good on the Pro as well and this might end up overtaking Resident Evil 7 as my favorite VR game. Going to dive in after dinner and hopefully finish it tonight.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Super happy for everyone involved in making this game. Just wish I could stomach VR (like, not get sick instantly) so I could play it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
About 2/3 done according to a Let's Play. The combat is pretty tedious but I do appreciate how generous the checkpointing is. It's so cute high-fiving Moss and watching her give you clues if you can't figure out a puzzle in a few minutes.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR has built up a really good library of titles at this point. Makes me tempted to get one even though I have a Vive, but that's a bit excessive. Hopefully there will be plenty more Moss games to come!

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first VR game I've purchased since Batman more than a year ago. I only got to play it for about 20 minutes before my golden retriever parked herself in my lap and demanded I pay attention to her instead, but I really liked that 20 minutes. This and that Play Room platformer are what I want out of current VR technology; immersive, easy to play, and doesn't make me nauseated. And it's really pretty too.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This looks neat, but as someone who will never invest in PSVR I need to ask:

I've watched some footage and this seems almost like Lucky's Tale VR? As in, a game that while a VR game, could comfortably be a traditional controller game.

So, is this a game like Dance Central where it can ONLY work with Kinect? Or is this more like Disney Rush where it could just as easily be re-released/patched to work with a controller?

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game and it's a must buy for any PSVR owner. Such a beautiful game and I can't wait for the (hopefully) next game.

Edit: That ending credit song by Malukah is a sooooo good. It's the same song from the launch trailer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I've watched some footage and this seems almost like Lucky's Tale VR? As in, a game that while a VR game, could comfortably be a traditional controller game.

So, is this a game like Dance Central where it can ONLY work with Kinect? Or is this more like Disney Rush where it could just as easily be re-released/patched to work with a controller?
I've only played the demo so far, but you're not just playing with standard gamepad controls.
You move Quill with the sticks, but you interact directly with the world via the positionally tracked controller, like playing with a diarama.

I expect, it could be altered to a 2D only game.
But how would you want that to work?
Like PS3 Move games of old? Where you move the controller, and the movements are translated into the 3D virtual world, which is being rendered onto a 2D surface?
Or forego motion controls, have a virtual cursor that you move across the screen to select what to interact with, and maybe use a stick to interact with said object?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

The thing is though you need to use VR to peer behind obstacles, like what foolishoptimist said it's like playing with a living diorama.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've only played the demo so far, but you're not just playing with standard gamepad controls.
You move Quill with the sticks, but you interact directly with the world via the positionally tracked controller, like playing with a diarama.

I expect, it could be altered to a 2D only game.
But how would you want that to work?
Like PS3 Move games of old? Where you move the controller, and the movements are translated into the 3D virtual world, which is being rendered onto a 2D surface?
Or forego motion controls, have a virtual cursor that you move across the screen to select what to interact with, and maybe use a stick to interact with said object?

The thing is though you need to use VR to peer behind obstacles, like what foolishoptimist said it's like playing with a living diorama.

Ok fair enough.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Iooks like I need to get this game, my family prefer the more charming vr stuff, it looks beautiful.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Gonna jump back in this afternoon to finish it off and get my review done. Kinda sad it's gonna be over after like another hour of play.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I love that every vignette is like a living diorama. Quill's animations are adorable!

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are loads of reviews I dont know what that guy is even on about.
What I'm on about is that most VR games don't get reviewed by mainstream reviewers. Most sites have admitted that vr traffic is so low that they had to ignore it.

Obviously Moss is a different case.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get your hopes up too high, mainstream will continue to ignore PSVR except for certain high profile titles like Moss, because only those break the minimum prospect click threshold.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Playing last night, game is fantastic and production values are very high. One of my favourite games in the last 12 months.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm guessing I'm at the mid-point of the game. Wonderfully polished so far.
The music cues are excellent with a Quill-theme but I also enjoy when it's only ambient sounds like slight wind or water drops when dungeon crawling.

I really enjoyed Chronos & Lucky's Tale on the Oculus Rift but Moss takes it to the next level with you yourself fully interacting with the environment alongside the mouse. Quill is also animated really well which helps sell her presence.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have time to start playing yesterday, but just tried it for the first time. Since the game is short I decided to split it up to several shorter sessions, so I forced myself to stop after about an hour.

This is just wonderful, isn't it? It's like being inside a beautiful storybook environent. Lush nature and tiny murky ruins. Quill is the most adorable protagonist ever, the animation is fantastic and so full of life and character, she almost feels like a real being running around in these amazing dioramas.

I get why a lot of people who haven't played third person games in vr don't understand the point of it, but it makes sense when you try it. It wouldn't have the same immersion if it was an ordinary game.

Super happy for everyone involved in making this game. Just wish I could stomach VR (like, not get sick instantly) so I could play it.

There are actually no camera movements in this game, or at least not as far as I've played. You won't get sick from this, promise!

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Right at the end now, trying to drag out the experience a bit tbh. About 2.5 hours played and it looks like I'll be done in about 15-20 minutes.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Finished it. Was a wonderful little fairy tale. It had a lot of soul and even a heart-string moment near the end. It's very pick up and play.
Basically the perfect intro game to Virtual Reality. I hope they bundle it beyond the launch period.

Criticism regarding lack of content is on point. Though it wouldn't help to drag out the experience with the current variety of enemies & mechanics. It ends when it needs to with what's on hand.
Also evade should have had its own dedicated button i.e. circle.

They have a very polished formula that they have landed elegantly. Now they should focus on making their next chapter more grand.

If you have a PSVR then this is warmly recommended. If you are a new PSVR owner then I suggest to start out with this game but pick up a content rich title in addition (i.e. Resident Evil 7).

I liked that they reserved your own mirror image for only a couple of moments in the game. It was surprisingly touching when Quill prayed for courage & your help later and you see yourself in the cave water.

DXJil4_X4Ac2abc.jpg:large

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. Gonna get to my review shortly. Basic rundown though:

Pros:
+ Great use of VR, sense of presence in this world
+ Cute protagonist
+ Great music
+ Good balance of difficulty, will make it popular with families, VERY generous checkpointing

Cons:
- Short playtime for the price
- Some tedious fighting

I'll give it a 7.5/10 I think. One of the better PSVR games recently after the year got off to a pretty poor start with The Inpatient.