misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
First post, you'll get the explanation there.
It's explained in the first post..

Edit: beaten by a second

So you need to know the context and the reference to the "sing-a-long" or what ever that is, to understand that it's racist? Sorry, I just want to understand this stupid thing, because if you would show me that clip without any context, I wouldn't understand that "joke" and definitely wouldn't know that it's racist.. just stupid "kness/chinese"= it rhymes

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I don't understand dont China have to review movies to release them? How did this make it through?

Yes, the Publicity Department of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party , or propaganda department.

Most likely, the person doing the reviewing doesn't speak english at all, and is depending on the chinese subtitle, which is compeltely different and is a old saying in Chinese.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the Publicity Department of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party , or propaganda department.

Most likely, the person doing the reviewing doesn't speak english at all, and is depending on the chinese subtitle, which is compeltely different and is a old saying in Chinese.
I feel bad for the dude that missed this during review.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
So you need to know the context and the reference to the "sing-a-long" or what ever that is, to understand that it's racist? Sorry, I just want to understand this stupid thing, because if you would show me that clip without any context, I wouldn't understand that "joke" and definitely wouldn't know that it's racist.. just stupid "kness/chinese"= it rhymes
The likely intended "joke":

Chinese man: "Hey, look at my knees! (You can't see his knees) What kind of knees are they? CHI-KNEES!"

It's....... it's incomprehensibly bad and should never have been in the movie to begin with. Add in that it sounds similar to a racist rhyme and you have a shitshow.

Imagine killing your career because you thought "Chi-knees" was funny.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
And to think, all of this - the inevitable financial failure of the film, the damage to Capcom and the franchise's reputation, and (most importantly) the offense caused to Chinese people and Asians in general - could have been avoided if they had just stuck to the fantasy setting of the games.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm sure almost every ethnic Chinese person living anywhere in the world has been the target of some variation of this racist joke at some point in their life, probably from a very young age.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Capcom will never license one of their games to a western filmmaker again and it actually might be better that way.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

People in the twitter replied that its probably just a localization thing because puns and certain jokes tend to get changed to reflect the intended audience

And honestly that makes sense it happens all the with Japanese games and animes

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
lol, this is straight up embarrassing

imagine being such a bad writer that your attempt to pander to a country ends up being racist enough to get you banned from the country instead

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine offending tens of millions of people and losing hundreds of millions of dollars so that you could put THAT joke in your movie.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying Seriousness of Racist Joke
deleted pun

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole affair has been bitterSwede. Cubanning the movie seems a little harsh, but I imagine their hands are Thai'd. Honestly, I Mexican't believe anyone would seriously think that pun was funny. I guess this is what happens when you Russian to production without double-checking the script. Anyone could have told them that joke Israeli offensive. Anderson is Finnish'd in Hollywood.
...wat

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
This whole affair has been bitterSwede. Cubanning the movie seems a little harsh, but I imagine their hands are Thai'd. Honestly, I Mexican't believe anyone would seriously think that pun was funny. I guess this is what happens when you Russian to production without double-checking the script. Anyone could have told them that joke Israeli offensive. Anderson is Finnish'd in Hollywood.

ehhh

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how brutalized the film market was in 2020, the studio was probably really hoping for this movie to make a good profit in China. That is probably never going to happen now and I doubt this movie will make a profit at all. Then there is Capcom whose games may be affected by this in the Chinese market too. This is going to cause a bloodbath in the studio and heads are gonna roll.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Anderson can make as many shitty movies or outright bombs as he wants but the shit he pulled on his sets is the real problem. Never forget, never forgive:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Death, Injuries and an Amputation: Is ‘Resident Evil’ Hollywood’s Most Dangerous Franchise?

Stuntwoman Olivia Jackson nearly died on the set of 'The Final Chapter.' Her colleague was killed. And over the course of the billion-dollar series, many others have been injured. The Hollywood Reporter investigates what happened — and who might pay for it.
The criminal neglect of the likes of Anderson or John Landis (wiki the "Twilight Zone accident") is that. Criminal. I hope that this derailment can finally derail him for good.

"The release of even a censored version is effectively halted" in case you wondered if there was some sort of 11th-hour rescue.
variety.com

‘Monster Hunter’ Pulled From Chinese Cinemas Over Scene Said to Be Racial Slur

Chinese regulators are in the midst of censoring the Hollywood title “Monster Hunter” after controversy broke out online on opening day over a ten second-long exchange in the film that patriotic lo…
The good news is that Tencent will lose face over this.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So I see era has really toned down the anti Chinese racism after all those threads this year.....
To be fair, most of this thread is actually condemning it as wtf, which is really heartening to me.

I remember when I first joined the other forum, there was a similar thread where the entire thread was posters mocking an iteration of "Dong" as a name (lol omigod dick), and I got banned for "derailing" the thread when I was like wtf this is racist, what is wrong with y'all.

This thread is totally opposite. Posters are calling other the racism both in the original story AND in other posters. The bans are the ones excusing racism. It's actually kind of nice to see, imo.

I'm sure almost every ethnic Chinese person living anywhere in the world has been the target of some variation of this racist joke at some point in their life, probably from a very young age.
Yeah I've definitely seen it in western media aimed at mocking East Asians.

The original joke may have been supposed to be "just" a pun, but it doesn't work *because* of the history of that particular "pun" in English.

Namely, it's been used in a very racist way. See first post.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gEDtx9F.png

Capcom Asia released a statement pretty much saying - different, products, different company, I hear ya'll pissed, but it's not us, seriously.

Regarding the movie monster hunter, the monter hunter gmae series and the movie "Monster Hunter" are produced by different companies. After learning your opinions on the movie "Monster Hunter", we collected a lot of the opinions coming from everyone and the situation has been reported to the relevant companies.

CAPCOM has always been committed to providing high-quality game works for the majority of players, hoping to continue to live up to expectations in the future. Thank you for your support.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I don't get the joke (apart from that it rhymes? knees/chinese) and I don't understand how it's racist.. can someone please explain it to me?
check this out, Zhuge Ex goes into better detail about why this blew up
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1335261976705052674.html

Alot of us asians who grew up in the west were mocked by this slur growing up, I know I was.

Here Chinese-American singer Wang Leehom talking about how he was subject to this racist rhyme when he was growing up.

guess one good thing about this thread is it helped out a bunch of blatant racists on here

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
And to think, all of this - the inevitable financial failure of the film, the damage to Capcom and the franchise's reputation, and (most importantly) the offense caused to Chinese people and Asians in general - could have been avoided if they had just stuck to the fantasy setting of the games.

if the review bombing of MWH is any indication, Capcom may have just hamstrung their efforts in the country for at least a while. CCP trolls dont forget quickly, they're also disgusting and nationalistic as hell

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware, which is why I chose to show how Burmese-y it would have been to come up with a million other nationality puns that aren't offensive enough to get your film banned from an entire country.
Well, as someone who is Burmese ethnically, you can quite frankly quit that shit.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty bad, yeah. It's actually racist on multiple levels, on top of being a terrible pun in the first place.

- Either of the first two lines on their own are racist. Just pulling your eyes in a slant and going "Chinese" or "Japanese" is mocking them and using their race and appearance as a punchline in a "haha, look at the funny looking foreigner!" way. In fact, the sign language word for "Chinese" was pointing to the corner of your eye, and there are efforts to change or avoid this sign because it's racist.
- "Chi-knees" or "Japan-knees" are dumb puns and also mocking their race again.
- Chanting the phrase to anyone is just loudly othering them and mocking people of this race for existing. You're highlighting that they're different, you're putting people on the spot for it, and you're showing that you think it's fun to make a chant about it.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
People in the twitter replied that its probably just a localization thing because puns and certain jokes tend to get changed to reflect the intended audience

And honestly that makes sense it happens all the with Japanese games and animes

And as can be seen here and other place, alot of people are still saying it's not racist, or it's just children song.

and the person that tweet it in English is getting death threat.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie isn't shaping up to be the bee's knees so far.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
And as can be seen here and other place, alot of people are still saying it's not racist, or it's just children song.

and the person that tweet it in English is getting death threat.

Holy shit. This should be a fucking crime. People need to be forced to be better human beings.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It's definitely racist - but are all movies with racist characters banned in China? You would think at most it was cause the age rating to go up.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
It's definitely racist - but are all movies with racist characters banned in China? You would think at most it was cause the age rating to go up.
Anything that the CCP deems as having anti-Chinese sentiment is typically banned, yes. I mean, Winnie the Pooh is banned in every incarnation because of President Xi's resentment to people calling similarities. They didn't (don't?) allow Brad Pitt movies because he starred in Seven Years in Tibet. They ban a lot of media.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Anything that the CCP deems as having anti-Chinese sentiment is typically banned, yes. I mean, Winnie the Pooh is banned in every incarnation because of President Xi's resentment to people calling similarities.

Thats actually not true. What is banned is the meme and that live action movie. Everything else is allowed and can be found on all major streaming plattforms like Tencent Video, Youku etc.
Merchandise of it is also huge and can be found in every major toy store.

Brad Pitt movies are also not banned:

布拉德·皮特-doki@腾讯视频:超全的布拉德·皮特资讯、视频、粉丝、直播、活动集合

喜欢布拉德·皮特的人都在腾讯视频doki:这里汇聚了最全的布拉德·皮特资料、最新资讯、影视作品、粉丝自制视频、直播、演唱会,以及全方位的粉丝后援会活动。

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Thats actually not true. What is banned is the meme and that live action movie. Everything else is allowed and can be found on all major streaming plattforms like Tencent Video, Youku etc.
Merchandise of it is also huge and can be found in every major toy store.

Brad Pitt movies are also not banned:

布拉德·皮特-doki@腾讯视频:超全的布拉德·皮特资讯、视频、粉丝、直播、活动集合

喜欢布拉德·皮特的人都在腾讯视频doki:这里汇聚了最全的布拉德·皮特资料、最新资讯、影视作品、粉丝自制视频、直播、演唱会,以及全方位的粉丝后援会活动。
My bad, I'd definitely extrapolated off the mistaken internet impression of Winnie the Pooh stuff. The Brad Pitt example I even tried to state I didn't think was still active, but it looks like I may have misunderstood that one as wikipedia says his movies had been banned, but most articles only report that he himself was banned from entering until 2016.

Wasn't trying to spread misinformation, just trying to use some common examples with regards to the CCPs control of media and obviously picked bad examples, sorry about that. It's not the thread for it, was just trying to explain that China has very different standards for what's allowed to show and why something could potentially be banned from showing at all.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's weird how just a week ago nobody cares about this movie but now suddenly you have all the racist fucks coming to bat for it as if it's their precious baby.

"The Monster Hunter movie is something worth being extra super racist for."

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Did they really make the non-white guy (I can't tell if he's of African descent, but he kind of looks like it in the video) say the "Chi-knees" part because they thought it couldn't possibly be offensive if a POC said it?

Because it seems like they had the non-white guy say the "Chi-knees" part because they thought it couldn't possibly be offensive if a POC said it.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's weird how just a week ago nobody cares about this movie but now suddenly you have all the racist fucks coming to bat for it as if it's their precious baby.

Anybody will come to bat against China. Even if the problem is racism towards the Chinese and not the CCP itself. This forum is guilty of this quite often.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Did they really make the non-white guy (I can't tell if he's of African descent, but he kind of looks like it in the video) say the "Chi-knees" part because they thought it couldn't possibly be offensive if a POC said it?

Because it seems like they had the non-white guy say the "Chi-knees" part because they thought it couldn't possibly be offensive if a POC said it.
That's MC Jin's character. He's Chinese, which is probably the only reason it got past all of the controls in place to prevent this type of racist stuff, but just because a Chinese person is saying it doesn't mean it's not offensive.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
To be fair, most of this thread is actually condemning it as wtf, which is really heartening to me.

I think the disheartening thing for me is how nonchalant Era is in general towards Asian racism (or more specifically, Asian countries not named Japan).

Yes, there have been voices of concern in this thread, but the general tone tends to be "OH NO ANYWAY". There are times I wish the people here would attack this issue with the same ferocity and passion in African-American/black-related racism threads, but it seems people are unaware or just uninterested in our issues, especially those relating to China.

Back on topic though - the translator must be nervously twiddling their thumbs right now, given how massive of a mistake this was. Yike.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The Steam page has now turned into a racist party....

Ol6DwXH.jpg

These are people who never had to face consequences in their life, but will cry like toddlers the moment you say the word "privilege."

By those actions it's clear you're privileged, you fucking idiot.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
That's MC Jin's character. He's Chinese, which is probably the only reason it got past all of the controls in place to prevent this type of racist stuff, but just because a Chinese person is saying it doesn't mean it's not offensive.

Wait.... Jin was okay with it? The same Jin that found God just some odd years ago?? Pfft lmao. What a clown. I'm not surprised tbh.

You know how it goes. Once something "SJW" comes out of something the "GGAMERS" and "MOVIE CRITICS" all of a sudden comes out to support said something.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I am having trouble connecting the line in the short clip to that old racist nursery rhyme. Do we have an idea of the context of the clip? The lead up to that scene might as well have been, "Sergeant, how were you able to carry all that weight on that badass rescue mission?!"

And even it it's just some non sequitur banter between army buddies, that seems like an even less likely scenario in which a character would start badmouthing his own race?

Did the Chinese subtitles change the scene around to make a direct reference to that racist nursery rhyme?

Edit: ahh, i see that the subtitles are in fact the problem. I wonder who was in charge of the translation and subtitles? Seems like it's their fault, not the screenwriter's terrible joke,unless PWSA or whoever also has a deep enough understanding of Mandarin to translate the movie himself, and change a stupid wordplay joke into a racist idiom... But that's doubtful.