shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at the racism towards Chinese in this thread. Can't believe people are that fucking stupid to not know how to separate the government and the people living there. Shows you racists are everywhere, but not surprising in a thread about China/Chinese people. Fortunately that fucker is banned, what a pos racist.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If this ends up finally liberating Capcom's IP's from Anderson then this is a win for everybody.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sadly I doubt anyone working on this thought it was racist.

Hence the question, how does a company that pumps millions of dollars into films not have a cultural sensitivity team that reviews the film at multiple stages (ideally early script, rough cut, and "final" edit) to avoid these kinds of situations. This should have been caught and dealt with long before it got out and the movie ended up banned for it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the movie is going to bomb now
Hence the question, how does a company that pumps millions of dollars into films not have a cultural sensitivity team that reviews the film at multiple stages (ideally early script, rough cut, and "final" edit) to avoid these kinds of situations. This should have been caught and dealt with long before it got out and the movie ended up banned for it.
They probably were lazy and didn't bother

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
This is going pretty much as expected and I expect it to get worse, Monster Hunter deserved better. These type of juvenile/insensitive jokes were supposed to be left behind in middle school.

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
F'ing idiots, how did nobody catch this during the writing, shooting, editing and test screenings of the movie?

I hope some racists lose their job over this, seems incredibly intentional.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Making a chinese racist joke in a chinese financed movie.

giphy.gif

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Will this be the tipping point for Capcom begining to look into what their adaptations are up to? RE by Netflix will be the next trashfire going by the pilot script leak.
Anyway, Mulan you now stopped being the biggest Hollywood fuckup when it comes to China focused film in 2020. Congrats Constantin Film and Sony.
Capcom didn´t produce the film btw.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
odd that Tencent never stopped them, surely they saw what would become the final movie months ago.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Will this be the tipping point for Capcom begining to look into what their adaptations are up to? RE by Netflix will be the next trashfire going by the pilot script leak.
Anyway, Mulan you now stopped being the biggest Hollywood fuckup when it comes to China focused film in 2020. Congrats Constantin Film and Sony.
Capcom didn´t produce the film btw.
I'm pretty sure Capcom made the choice to give it to Anderson considering the godawful RE movies he made. They're definitely not absolved of anything here. Sony, meanwhile, is distributing the film and weren't one of the production companies. I think one of the main companies who produced on it alongside Tencent is owned by Sony, if that makes much sense. They're not absolved either, though, but to single them out seems odd.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Paul W. S. Anderson is the single credited writer. He directed this, he produced this and he cast this. MH is a 60 mil film not counting promotion cost. And here is the kicker. The biggest film of the year The Eight Hundred (8/10) made 461 mil in China. Only 60% of what Chinese blockusters can make in a normal year but nothing to sneeze at during Covid. The last RE film made 160 mil in China (but was the only runaway success in the series there) and MH has a Chinese producer with Tencent.
There is no justice in Hollywood if Anderson won´t end up in Hollywood jail over this for years and years. They had a Chinese producer so it would have been easy to get script approval from the CCP but here we are. WTF? RIP franchise appeal unless Paul again goes the direct to video (streaming?) rout like his Death Race sequels.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone from a Muslim background and has experienced plenty of Islamophobia, please do not use what's happening to Uighurs as an excuse to be racist towards Chinese people. Good grief. Y'all have no sense deflecting away from the racism that this thread is about.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Holy crap at that poster who got justifiably banned...what the fuck were they thinking with that take?

As for the "joke", I'm not sure how that gets through all the rewrites and evaluations a movie goes through to make it to release. It could've been any kind of dumbass, cliched, military banter joke...how did they settle on that one without thinking of the implications behind it? Did they really think the shitty wordplay was just that clever?
I've liked Anderson's films for a while now, I recognised them for the dumb, guilty-pleasure type crap they became after a couple of legitimately decent films at the start of his mainstream career (Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat are perfectly good, uncomplicated movies imo.). It seems he's been on a quest to scrape the bottom of the barrel ever since, and has devolved rather than get better because the money kept rolling in. As dumb as the Resident Evil movies were, this seems like a new level of low for the guy, and I wonder if this kind of careless shit is what finally craters his career. All for the sake of a reference to a childish, racist, shitty, outdated slur of a rhyme that everyone else grew out of after hearing it on the playground.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So many odd posts in this thread that are willing to excuse racism against Asians because of the actions of a single government. Where is the logic in that? You can be anti-CCP and still want people from China and Japan to be treated respectfully. Saying this "joke" is wrong isn't supporting the CCP, it's supporting basic human decency.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. The fact that all of this somehow slipped through is ridiculous, but hopefully Anderson is finally send to director's jail and never gets to make another video game movie ever again.

As someone from a Muslim background and has experienced plenty of Islamophobia, please do not use what's happening to Uighurs as an excuse to be racist towards Chinese people. Good grief. Y'all have no sense deflecting away from the racism that this thread is about.
So many odd posts in this thread that are willing to excuse racism against Asians because of the actions of a single government. Where is the logic in that? You can be anti-CCP and still want people from China and Japan to be treated respectfully. Saying this "joke" is wrong isn't supporting the CCP, it's supporting basic human decency.
No kidding, there's a time and a place to call out the government of China. This ain't it. And this is coming from someone who vehemently despises said government for the horrific oppression of their own citizens. Keep the government and the people separate, and keep race out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Holy shit at the racism towards Chinese in this thread. Can't believe people are that fucking stupid to not know how to separate the government and the people living there. Shows you racists are everywhere, but not surprising in a thread about China/Chinese people. Fortunately that fucker is banned, what a pos racist.

Yup but it aint just that dude that got banned. This place is so gross when it comes to how it regards Asians in general. Never change, Era (no, please do).

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I don't even understand what the 'joke' in the film is? Like I understand it's a reference to the original racist joke/rhyme, but like wtf does the actual joke in the film mean?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand dont China have to review movies to release them? How did this make it through?

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Yup but it aint just that dude that got banned. This place is so gross when it comes to how it regards Asians in general. Never change, Era (no, please do).
This place is indeed gross against Asians. Some people in this thread, who are banned, said some very offensive, racists things against Chinese people and were outright dismissing racism against Chinese people. Why are there no warnings beneath the thread telling people to refrain from attacking Chinese people and that members should make a distinction between the government and the Chinese people living in China and around the world? In other threads, with different sensitive subjects, I always see these warnings. So fucking dissapointing.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible for some posters to focus on the topic at hand while not always falling back on "Fuck the CCP" sentiment in every focused on China?

Yes, we know, the CCP isn't the best governmental regime. But this thread is about a Sinophobic joke and specific East Asian racism by proxy. It is ok to be critical of the CCP but this thread is about the fucked up joke that applies to billions of people, not just Chinese people.

That being said, why the fuck would they put something so blatantly fucked up in a movie like this? It's so easy to not be racist but people wake up and choose to be everyday, smh.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I don't understand dont China have to review movies to release them? How did this make it through?

That's the most baffling part about all this. By all accounts the racism in this movie isn't just limited to that one line. How the hell did this make it past Tencent, or the CCP's CFA?

Either someone's not doing their job, or they thought this was 100% cool and it bit them in the ass.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That is unbelievable... They severely fucked up.

How the hell does that joke have any place anywhere let alone in a fucking Monster Hunter movie!? 🙄👎

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand what the 'joke' in the film is? Like I understand it's a reference to the original racist joke/rhyme, but like wtf does the actual joke in the film mean?
"Hey, look at my knees. What kind of knees are these? Chi-knees!" (Actor is apparently Chinese)

It probably wasn't intended to be a reference, just a horrible pun. The problem, of course, is that it does come across as a reference and is offensive as hell as a result. It's a really big fuck-up.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
"Hey, look at my knees. What kind of knees are these? Chi-knees!" (Actor is apparently Chinese)

It probably wasn't intended to be a reference, just a horrible pun. The problem, of course, is that it does come across as a reference and is offensive as hell as a result. It's a really big fuck-up.

OOHHH I didn't realise the actor was supposedly Chinese. So it's like a dumb dad joke, but the phrase of the joke is used in another racist joke.

I see now, thanks for clearing it up. Big ooff

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I know Paul Anderson is a moron, but this is a next-level blunder even for him. He should have already lost his career over what he did to Olivia Jackson, but I'll be happy if he finally gets the axe.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
LMAO Anderson can go get bent. That joke is straight up racist and the dude is an asshole. He and Jovovich get no sympathy from me.

Capcom, get your shit together.

Oct 25, 2017
Movie made for the chinese market is banned in China, You had one job Anderson.

Can't imagine Legendary is happy about this.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Ok, I don't get the joke (apart from that it rhymes? knees/chinese) and I don't understand how it's racist.. can someone please explain it to me?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It still doesn't make sense. I'm white and I've never joked with my friends, "hey, look at this sink, what kind of seal is this?" "Caulkasian!"

Like, the only reason the knees thing would be in there would be to reference a racist school-yard rhyme. It comes off like half a joke, it's just weird. The only way it makes sense is if a character did the full on school-yard rhyme earlier and they're referencing it. Going by this thread, a lot of people had never even heard it, so what was the point?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Paul W. S. Anderson is the single credited writer. He directed this, he produced this and he cast this. MH is a 60 mil film not counting promotion cost. And here is the kicker. The biggest film of the year The Eight Hundred (8/10) made 461 mil in China. Only 60% of what Chinese blockusters can make in a normal year but nothing to sneeze at during Covid. The last RE film made 160 mil in China (but was the only runaway success in the series there) and MH has a Chinese producer with Tencent.
There is no justice in Hollywood if Anderson won´t end up in Hollywood jail over this for years and years. They had a Chinese producer so it would have been easy to get script approval from the CCP but here we are. WTF? RIP franchise appeal unless Paul again goes the direct to video (streaming?) rout like his Death Race sequels.
He needs to be gone forever. This is just an unbelievable misfire on his part.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I know next to nothing about this project or the Monster Hunter franchise, but I can't help but shake my head just looking at any of this. How fucking stupid can you be?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That joke is trash. I don't understand why on 2020 anyone would write that into a script. Or why they'd read the fucking script and decide "Yea, this will work out fine."

Then film that shit and not cringe the entire way through. That shit should have been reworked at so many points.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, don't release the movie. Take the license back from Paul Anderson. Blackball him from doing any gaming movies...PERIOD! Tencent takes the "L" and find a new director asap!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How you going to explain to your wife you killed her career?

But they are white people with past success in hollywood, they will get buy filling the 3 movies for 7 bucks bins at walmart

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe, at no point, did someone not turn round and say "here, this is really racist".

This isn't some amature hour production, like. It's not like someone said something on a live video.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh Paul WS Anderson. I was seriously wondering why tf the director of Magnolia agreed to do a Monster Hunter movie