Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Nice thread OP. When I see people going crazy for no reason I just jump off the internet and go play some games. I mean there are just too many good ones on any system to not fill up your time !

Sony - the exclusives keep getting better and better with some incredible deataio and polish. There is also a huge variety in the exclusives they offer

Microsoft - Game pass is legit. I normally spend $1k + on games every year. I have spent $40 on games for my X1 this year and it's not because there isn't anything but because game pass has a great selection of titles

Nintendo- fantastic third party indie games during first half of year. Also I can't wait to play Mario Party with friends in a few weeks.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread. This site started off so positive, and slowly but surely started becoming more negative as time went on.

Think I'm finally gonna pick up a PS4 sometime in the next month. Mostly because my son is a huge Spider-Man fan. Also to catch up on a couple great exclusives I missed. Ratchet, god of war, guacamelee 2. Not a huge fan of their story driven campaign games.

I've had an xb1 since launch and always loved it. Never shared the opinion that it was a bad console. My most played games on it are exclusive, so even if I went PS4 at launch I would've caved a long time ago. Can't wait for forza.

Got a switch last Christmas for my son because he grew up as a huge Nintendo fan. Doesn't get much use because me and him played the shit outta the wii u, so it's hard to be as ecmxcited as everyone else. We're big on co op play and never really use it as a portable. I mostly love the hardware, just not a huge fan of the controller though. Just can't wait for the catalogue of games to grow. Excited for Pokemon despite the negativity, and can't wait to see what the next mainline Mario will be. Hoping for a 3D world sequel even though I loved odyssey.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nintendo: Is really giving an effort in market some indies, which is great for players and devs alike. It's the actually interesting console maker to follow since the other ones are basically just about a more powerful black brick.

Microsoft: Have admirable work in backwards compatibility and are fast to follow feedback, like when the Xone + Kinect flopped and they didn't insisted.

Sony: You don't need positivity when you have exclusivity on stuff like Bloodborne. Their effort on VR is also admirable.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I really like what I see out of Smash Bros.

To me it epitomizes fun game design Nintendo is great for.

And fuck yea Cloud in the game, he's the only character I play now.

I look forward to eventually playing the Switch version, some of my colleagues own Switch consoles so it will be enjoyable to play.

I'm also surprised how the Switch level design and graphics compared to the WiiU ones, definite improvement across the board, very nice looking stuff and the increased colour contrast and saturation and lighting makes it pop a lot better.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony: has platform with the most games and a top dog first party

Nintendo: Switch brings new life to indie games and it's great to see Nintendo back in a healthy spot as it leads to more ninty games

MS: I am envious of the X1X power and game pass seems to be evolutionary

SPCTRE

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best time to be playing video games.

I'm very happy (continuing to be very happy) with PSN/PS+ on my PS4.

Also very happy to have two XBONEs in the household now (including an X) where the wife and I are able to share my digital library and Xbox Live Gold - super neat.

If I had more time to play PC games, my GoG/Steam/Origin libraries are bursting with amazing backlogs.

Lastly, it's nice to return to Mass Effect 3, playing in bed on the Wii U gamepad. As long as the wife loves her 2DS, I guess we're fine without a Switch.

Gloggins

Nov 27, 2017
Sony: Dedication to big budget AAA single player experiences, perhaps moreso than any other publisher out there.

MS: Their efforts in BC are admirable.

Nintendo: Switch looks like the most enticing Nintendo product in years or maybe ever. Getting one next month.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to indie games, there's just so many games that offer new, unique experiences. Mainstream games have always chased trends, and there's nothing wrong with that, they're going where the money is, but it can get a little tiring seeing a lot of games trying to do the same thing, but thanks to indie games there's just so many unique and interesting games that try different things, or try to tell a message, or try to recapture the joy of a game or a genre that isn't quite mainstream anymore.

Sorta related to indie games, but just the sheer amount of variety. FPS is my genre of choice, I love multiplayer shooters, but for the longest time it felt like there was only the AAA/Mainstream games as my options, like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but now there's so many different kinds of multiplayer shooters that cater to all kinds of people, like if I want a full blown milsim experience I got ARMA 3 and Squad, if I want a more hardcore Battlefield-like experience there's Rising Storm 2, or the bright, colorful, and arcadey Overwatch, or Rainbow Six Siege for a more tactical take on the hero shooter genre.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Sony - I love they invested in VR taking risks.

Microsoft - BC for free is a great thing, I would love it if I had an Xbox!

Nintendo - I love they continue to try different things in the market, the Switch hybrid console is a great idea.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to have a positive thread for a change.

Sony - Best in the business Big Budget AAA exclusives and good variety of other ways to play including VR and Playlink.

Nintendo - Fantastic exclusives and great hardware that can be can be used as a home console or portable.

Microsoft - Great hardware with the Xbox One X and they have done some great work on their Backwards Compatibility.

PC - Best graphics and performance, cheaper games, free online gaming.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people get too caught up in gaming. When talking with other people who play games more seriously, I don't know why, but people tend to always be negative about something. It's good to change things up once in a while.

Right now I'm happy because Steam (PC) is getting more support for Japanese games, so I can play friggin Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest on my PC. I'm also eying that Tales of Vesperia port for next year.

EDIT: Just to comment further:

Nintendo: The Switch is really a huge improvement, and there are some games that make me want to buy it, but I just don't have the resources for it. I'd love to be able to play Octopath and try Xenoblade 2, among other games. I hope Nintendo continues with this success.

Microsoft: It's good that they are pushing the edge in console graphics. This gen felt a bit stagnant in terms of technology. I'm curious to see how the new consoles will look.

Sony: It took a while, but the PS4 has a great library of games. I've always skewed more towards Japanese games, so it's nice to see them flourish here, along with others as well.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo: Has me playing games I normally wouldn't because how easily I can be in and out of a game quickly. Has made getting on flights much more pleasing as I hate flying.

Sony: Really enjoy a good number of their first party efforts and I'm looking forward to Last of Us 2. I'm also very glad they kick started the 4K gaming+HDR on the console side.

Microsoft: My prefered pad this gen and their backward compatibility + X enhanced features are amazing. I wish it sets an example for next gen.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
The coming future is going to be wonderful. Very excited about things. :)
Loved the BF5 beta and have went back to play BF1 in anticipation. The free season pass you folks offered has been amazing and playing the new maps I'd previously not played has been like playing a new game, thanks!

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Also just want to say that my Nvidia Shield and Geforce Now works flawlessly and has shown me how cloud gaming could evolve into something special in the future!

Dec 15, 2017
PC Gaming: Better than ever, the dominating platform nowadays. Easiest time to get into, ports are really good for the most part. Japanese support is strong, you no longer have to wonder if a given game will be released on pc (barring ATLUS and Vanillaware) We now can play MS games (I love the Forza series) Emulation is progressing every day, Wii U, PS3, Switch and the like.
And finally you can get by with old hardware and still have a great gaming experience, gone are the days where a high end machine would last 2 years at most. I have built my machine in December 2013 with mid range parts ( FX 6300 - GTX 760 - 8GB RAM @ 1600Mhz) and still runs games at console settings (ID Tech 6 games, the exception to the rule)

Sony: They played it safe this generation but took a gamble with VR, I applaud them for that. Getting VR to the masses is crucial for this medium to keep evolving. Also I respect their investment in single player games, even if I am not a fan of their Third person Action adventure stuff. Hopefully one day they will release a deep RPG of their own, they have the manpower to do it.

MS: Best console ecosystem, incredible effort with backwards compatibility. I couldn't be happier about playing their games on pc, even if I have to use their store. Loved the Forza games, Killer Instinct, Recore, State of Decay, Dead Rising… their titles are underrated the way I see it. Hopefully recent investments and acquisitions pay off increasing their first party output in quantity and quality.

Nintendo: They are in good shape. What they did with LABO was as innovative as it gets. Great first party as always if a bit sparse, and they are finally nailing third party support which is great for their fans.

Jun 7, 2018
Xbox : I've always been a huge fan of Halo and have enjoyed each entry in the series. I love play anywhere, since my Xbox died, its nice having the choice to play Xbox games on PC. Good job on picking up some unique studios to try and up your 1st party game.

PS4 : Exclusives are top notch with a wide variety of genres. The UI tends to be rather snappy and clean. Im really enjoying the PlayStation experience after being an Xbox gamer most of my life.

Nintendo : 1st party titles are always of high quality with a lot of replay value. The form factor of the switch is unique and practical. Thinking outside the box with boxes is probably the most creative thing I've ever witnessed a game console to do.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited to see more of Halo Infinite. I loved the first game in the series, didn't really like 2, didn't really play 3 (got a 360 to play it & Reach, but played 4, Reach, Halo CE Anniversary and by then I was burnt out and only played a little of Halo 3) and had no interest in an Xbox One so I've not played any game in the series since 2012. However, Infinite looks exciting and I think they've finally listened to fans and will be going back to some aspects of the original trilogy. I'm sure it'll take a lot of inspiration from Destiny but hopefully unlike Destiny it'll have a satisfying campaign and a good story.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Great thread! Noticed the same in the Shadow of the Tomb Raider thread. Ironically, quite often you hear negativity from people who would still rush through games without enjoying optional side stuff, not taking their time the game would deserve.

Never forget: It's a hobby, not an obligation. Play what you enjoy and enjoy playing, it's entertainment and supposed to be fun.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I'm glad how much Sony has been investing into their exclusive portfolio and SharePlay has been an interesting idea.

I love how much effort Microsoft put into backwards compatibility (especially with the X enhancements, really impressive stuff) and their GamePass/Play Anywhere offering is a great idea.

Nintendo tried something new with a hybrid console and succeeded. The tech is really impressive for something you can carry around and I'm glad they made a strong comeback with the Switch. Really looking forward to what the future might bring for them.

As for PC, I gotta say playing on PC is a better experience now than it ever has been. Looking back at the times where we got ports like GTA4's, it's amazing how much things changed for the better since then. We got almost universal controller support now (and even for games that don't support controllers as input method, Steam still provides a way to still play with one) and it's great to see a far stronger presence of Japanese titles which would have been exclusive to consoles in previous gens.

Last edited:

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sony: they are killing with their first party games, i love cinematic games and they just delivered

Nintendo: i loved zelda and mario and look foward to play the "sequels", and love even more the switch now that cities skylines and civilization 6 are coming

Microsoft : gamepass and BC are legit, im really happy with the direction they are heading

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I'll add you can have multiple great games in the same genres.
You can multiple great platforms.

It's ok. It's not football. There's is no one winner here.

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
What kills me is how solid even the mediocre releases are nowadays. Growing up, all but the very best games on systems like NES/SNES/Genesis/Gamecube/etc were pretty rough in a lot of ways. Whether it was sound-wise, visually (not just graphics, but sylistically as well), from a gameplay perspective, controls or balance perspective. Most games had serious flaws that we would almost refuse to accept in a modern game. Now it's almost the reverse, all but the worst games are going to be fairly playable, with decent controls, visuals, gameplay, etc.