harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I've been a bit dejected on here lately with all the negative posts relating to gaming. All 3 have been targeted very recently for various reasons:

Sony - News of a PSOne Classic has had various people call it a rip off, poor value and compare it to a device that is no longer manufactured (Vita TV)

Microsoft - Their tweet to promote "free" BC has been met with anger and backlash

Nintendo - The whole online service has driven so many negative threads regarding them being behind the times etc

Let's each post 3 positive things about each of the Big 3 and things they have done we admire most this gen. Mine are:

Sony - As an Xbox and Switch owner, I really envy their exclusive games and they changed the game by releasing a mid-gen Pro model. I now expect this going forward and am happy to pay for the extra power.

Microsoft - I love BC and the fact that it can play my older games in 4K.

Nintendo - I love being able to play indies on a handheld and portable device. Yes the Vita and 3DS did/do this, but the support the Switch has is insane and it's made me actually play less AAA games and play these bite sized gems.

Please don't post in this thread unless you can say something positive about all 3 companies!

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Nice thread. The nergativity in the online gaming community is absurd and from my brief sting here so far this forums seems especially jaded. I don't get it as games are supposed to be pure fun!! Anyway....

Sony-they're just crushing it for my tastes. I love cinematic, narrative-driven games and their exclusives are the cream of the crop in that style of game.

Nintendo-Switch is a great piece of hardware, it's building a great lineup of exclusives and has replaced Vita as they place for indies for me.

Microsoft-play Anywhere is great and I wish all three would make PC storefronts/ecosystems. Gamepass is a great service as someone who rarely replays games and I'll subscrivd when the library of Play Anywhere games on PC expands.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
How about game companies? I love seeing how Japanese companies like Sega have been bringing games like Yakuza over to the west at a quicker pace than ever. Localization times have been pretty good lately in general this gen and DQXI is the only one I can think of that had a significant delay from the Japanese release.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How about game companies? I love seeing how Japanese companies like Sega have been bringing games like Yakuza over to the west at a quicker pace than ever. Localization times have been pretty good lately in general this gen and DQXI is the only one I can think of that had a significant delay from the Japanese release.
Sega has been rocking with their Yakuza releases lately. We've gone from not getting games, or getting them 3 years later to getting English announcements the same day as Japan (for Judges Eyes). Capcom has also been in top form lately with DMC5, REmake 2 and MM11 alongside Monster Hunter. Its been a good few years for me.

Consoles wise -Switch is an amazing indie/retro handheld for me. So many games to play.
Sony - first party stuff is very much to my liking. Just finished Spidey and I'm over the moon that they funded a proper AAA Spidey game and it turned out better than I'd imagined.
MS have been doing great with Forza Horizon for years now, and their BC stuff is fantastic.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Nice to see some good will threads once in a while!

Sony: Their exclusives this year have been killing it! Spider-Man is tracking way ahead of expectations.

Xbox: Their services are top notch, game pass has actually given so much to play I don't even know where to start lol.

Switch: The momentum remains strong and Smash is looking to be GOTY material for me. The NES games also run pretty well.

Aug 26, 2018
Xbox's comeback this gen, Sony's Killer 1st Party, Switch being a Runaway hit and the fact that all 3 companies are doing well is a great sign.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm playing Dragon Quest XI and Forza Horizon 4 is just getting ready to come out.

They're even putting out Katamari on PC later this year.

I'm pretty happy

Aug 26, 2018
Xbox's comeback this gen, Sony's Killer 1st Party, Switch being a Runaway hit and the fact that all 3 companies are doing well is a great sign.

delicious

Apr 2, 2018
The amount of good games from every gaming device/platform, I don't think I've ever purchased so many games in so little time! Wish I had longer weekends tho.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft- Gamepass, BC
Sony - PSN is worth money, great library of games, pushed back against Microsofts always on line idea and I can rent their stuff from the library
Nintendo - Solved the problem of needing one device at home and another on the go.
PC- Raytracing is now an actual real time thing, holy shit

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's easier to bitch and moan about everything, it seems.

I love the state of gaming these days. Tons of great games - too many, in fact. Plus there's never been as comprehensive a list of options to play older ones.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft: Making a great comeback, tons of moves that are good for the consumer, can't wait for Halo: Infinite.

Switch: Got to play the 2 highest ranked games of this generation on it (and still not finished with them), also becoming the perfect indie machine.

Sony: Spiderman is one of the best games I've played all year.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Sony - Thanks for believing in VR and bringing it to the console space. Glad you're keeping it up with recent patents to improve upon for PSVR2. Also your variety in exclusives are just sublime.
Nintendo - Thanks for keeping Fire Emblem alive, along with Bayonetta.
Microsoft - Gamepass allowing anyone to subscribe for only $10 a month to play any particular upcoming AAA game they want in its entirety is pretty cool.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Very impressed with the strides Microsoft has taken with backwards compatibility.

In addition to great first-party titles (loving Spider Man right now) gotta give props to Sony for pushing the boundaries with PSVR. Experiences on this thing genuinely make me oooh and ahh and scream and laugh aloud while I'm playing like I'm a kid again.

Love the Switch hardware. :)

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Spiderman is so damn delightful. I struggled to even get motivated playing the story because I was having so much fun getting collectibles which I've never enjoyed before. The story is amazing.

Once I'm done with Spider-man, I'm getting back into Dragon Quest XI. This is my first dragon quest game and I love these enemy designs that I've seen so far!

October is coming up and I have so many horror games backlogged that I'm going to try and get through with my wife. Until I leave as the coward that I normally am.

Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong expansion is so damn good. Its hard but everything from the music to the combat is amazing. Never thought I'd enjoy the Rabbids but damn, do I love Rabbid Peach and Luigi.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
I don't really have anything to say about those three but let me just say this:

There's never been a better time to be playing video games, y'all!

Oct 26, 2017
No need to feel dejected! There are negative nancies in gaming forums all the time :P

Really, I think we're in the best landscape for gaming at the moment, overall. The PS4 had started to pick up with great exclusives in the past few years. As someone who felt burned by the PS3, I've done a 180 with the PS4. The XB1 has been doing fantastic with stuff like GamePass and backwards compatibility. They're genuinely setting themselves apart from everyone else, now more than ever. Nintendo has come back with a vengeance when it comes to their hardware and software with the Switch. The 3DS and Wii U in their twilight years weren't exactly pumping out games left and right but the Switch is just putting games at such a great pace and among the absolute best that they've ever put out. Really, they're all doing well at the moment

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Yay some nice positive vibes, love it!

I am a 38 year old gamer and like to think I've developed a balanced opinion over the years and feel there has never been a better time to be a gamer!

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love the idea of the PlayStation Mini. Still on the fence about getting one, but I'm glad Sony is making it. Microsoft continues to impress me over there BC support, and for all the complaints Nintendo's online service has, I love the NES app with how quickly it loads and easy to use, it definitely bodes well for later potential additions.

Bonus - Thank you Square Enix. Not just for bringing back TWEWY and giving it another chance, not just for Crystal Chronicles remastered, but for putting FF7 and 9 on Switch. As Cloud said in his Smash reveal trailer; 'Never thought I'd see the day'.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sony - Proving that you can sell consoles with bomb exclusives in 2018 if you're not Nintendo

Nintendo - continuously releasing the best games of the generation, continuously pushing genres forward in innovative ways, and cementing the Switch as a must-have console

Microsoft - The only console manufacturer whom I've never bought a console from but I have heard that gamepass is awesome

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Sony - Games man, they just make the games I want to play, plain and simple. Also, share button and photomode has been fantastic.

Nintendo - I always respected Nintendo for their main games but it's never enough for me to get a system so the best thing I can say about Switch is that I'm constatly looking at the calendar to see which date fits my economy well to buy the console.

Xbox - Although their games don't appeal me much, I really like all the services they're pushing these last years, if they can get better at making games I can see myself purchasing their next system.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Sony - Games man, they just make the games I want to play, plain and simple. Also, share button and photomode has been fantastic.

Nintendo - I always respected Nintendo for their main games but it's never enough for me to get a system so the best thing I can say about Switch is that I'm constatly looking at the calendar to see which date fits my economy well to buy the console.

Xbox - Although their games don't appeal me much, I really like all the services they're pushing these last years, if they can get better at making games I can see myself purchasing their next system.
Buy the Switch you won't regret it!

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Nice thread idea OP!

Microsoft- lots of Innovation, learned from 2013 mistakes

Sony - Great exclusives, PSN is stable

Nintendo - Switch is an amazing device

I own a PS4 and Switch and Gaming is better than it ever was these days for me. I rarely go 2 months without a release that brings me a ton of joy.

There's really no need to focus only on lootboxes, toxic communities and other negative side effects.
More than enough good shit happening

Ps. I'm playing the lovely DQ11 atm, got Spider-Man on hold and RDR2 is around the corner.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Buy the Switch you won't regret it!

I know, is just that the prices for consoles in my country are out of control and I'm buying games every month (especially on these dates), and saving money for vacations and a Car... damn, I need so much money lol. Having said that, I'm still convinced that I'll buy it, I'm pushing a friend that wants it so when he gets it I'll be envious and will make it a priority (I told him that, is not a secret feeling).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The fact we only really have petty shit to argue about says it all, all 3 are doing great and PC is also extremely healthy.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony: Bloodborne is the greatest game ever made and PS VR is really cool.

Nintendo: Great exclusives and I love the portability of the Switch.

MS: Great services and the One X is a marvel of a console.

Best of all: Japan is killing it this gen.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
PS4: I like the controller.
Switch: I love the combination of portability and decent power. I've gotten a lot more gaming time than I otherwise would because of the Switch. Plus Cities Skylines just came out on it!

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
I started playing "indie games" before they were called that, when they were hand-coded against low-level OS APIs (or later against SDL or Allegro for portability). Widely available free or cheap game engines have been an incredible force multiplier over the last decade, letting individual designers and very small teams build incredible games.

Nov 14, 2017
PS4 - Probably the best PS has ever been in terms of first party, it's crazy the ammount of quality games coming from them, and just thinking The Last of Us 2 is still to come, holy shit.

XB1 - Best services this gen, by far, game pass is awesome. Forza Horizon 4 looks absolutely incredible, XB took some chances this gen with Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, and Quantum Break, all games I really like.

Nintendo - Even though I don't own a Switch, I know they create quality games, first and last Nintendo console I owned was a gameboy back in the 90's, maybe it's time to invest on Nintendo soon.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming in general has been better and more accesible than ever before. Gaming companies are not immune from criticism though and things such as Nintendo online, and the new PSX classic do feel like a cash grab when Sony for a long while had given accesss to PS1 game purchases with the PS3 and vita. The hate mob mentality and hyper disagreement against people being happy for things like the PSX classic and Nintendo online are ridicoulus though.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just echo what others have said already.
PS4 is pumping out quality exclusives and PSN is a lot more stable now.
Xbox one has introduced the games pass service which is amazing value and the backwards compatibility solution should be the standard going forward.
Switch has given us a unique hybrid console and their exclusive output for 2019 and beyond looks to be killer.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nintendo - First party software has been good/great. Lulls that plagued previous consoles are nonexistent here due to the breadth of content available on the eshop. This has replaced all comers as my indie machine.

Microsoft - The backward's compatibility program at Microsoft is fantastic. As someone who owns a lot of games (and consoles), both physical & digital, from past generations, it is always a treat to have a one of the titles show up and suddenly become available on a console I have hooked up. I look forward to this continuing into next generation. Buyng all those studios should be nice as well.

Sony - The first-party offerings here have been amazing. PSVR is solid. Allowing PS4/PC crossplay, before it was all the news, was a great step back when. Day 1 for all exclusives.

PC - is awesome for practically everything!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Bit bummed you excluded platforms like PC (especially) and mobile for such nice and positive thread.

Overall I think gaming has never been better, even with lootboxes and stuff. Atleast there's a fight back going on. Even with gaming's problems we have more great games than ever and an easy access to them. We have greater variety of different experiences than ever. We have lower barriers for people to start making and releasing games. Things like inclusion and representation have been brought up, which has led to improvements. We also have an easy access to most of the old games we so warmly remember.

For the console platforms:

Nintendo: Doing their own thing which I respect and admire, innovating and taking chances. Glad to see it had paid off, Switch brought me back to the family too.
Microsoft: Showing some love to the PC crowd and they released a beast with Xbox One X. Great subsciption services too. Thumbs up for backwards compatibility.
Sony: Steady feed of high quality exclusives. While it's bit of a bummer personally that some of those are exclusives, they sure do make their fans satisfied in that regard.

Other two:

Mobile: It's cool to see Nintendo finally branching out a bit. I've been hooked at Clash Royale for a long time. Supercell also helps to build children's hospitals here through donations, 2.5 million to support immigrant youth, the founders invested in my favorite hockey team helping them a lot, they pay huge taxes to Finland. Like a billion Euros in 2017. So yeah I'm quite happy they exist and their mobile game is so succesful. Shame it comes from randomized rewards though.
PC: Winning as always.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sony-Their lineup has been incredible the last few years and is arguably even getting better.

Microsoft-Well, uh...They have definitely gotten better since xbone launch.

Nintendo-Metroid is back, so all is good.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people on this forum should be embarrassed of themselves.

Just read any Nintendo Switch online thread and it's people just repeating the same shit.
Xbox threads tend to get shit on too.

Sony threads have been seeing more and more bitterness as well as of late.

I feel like all three companies have been heading in a rather positive direction.

Sony had the crossplay issue and I do hope that is resolved. Hope they figure out PS1 bc one day.

Nintendo still can't seem to get modern in terms of online gaming, even though some of their ideas in regards to online play with Nes games is very unique.

MS still is in dire need of first party exclusives, which it looks like in a few years we'll see the fruits of all those acquisitions.

Even with those issues, I fucking love all three consoles. Each one gives me something unique to keep me coming back.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I always find the forum is at it's best inside OT threads were people having fun playing a game are discussing it, without reference to other games or other platforms.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Bit bummed you excluded platforms like PC (especially) and mobile for such nice and positive thread.

Overall I think gaming has never been better, even with lootboxes and stuff. Atleast there's a fight back going on. Even with gaming's problems we have more great games than ever and an easy access to them. We have greater variety of different experiences than ever. We have lower barrier for people to start making games. Things like inclusion and representation have been brought up, which has led to improvements. We also have an easy access to most of the old games we so warmly remember.

For the console platforms:

Nintendo: Doing their own thing which I respect and admire, innovating and taking chances. Glad to see it had paid off, Switch brought me back to the family too.
Microsoft: Showing some love to the PC crowd and they released a beast with Xbox One X. Great subsciption services too. Thumbs up for backwards compatibility.
Sony: Steady feed of high quality exclusives. While it's bit of a bummer personally that some of those are exclusives, they sure do make their fans satisfied in that regard.

Other two:

Mobile: It's cool to see Nintendo finally branching out a bit. I've been hooked at Clash Royale for a long time. Supercell also helps to build children's hospitals here through donations, the founders invested in my favorite hockey team helping them a lot, they pay huge taxes to Finland. Like a billion Euros in 2017.
PC: Winning as always.

Sorry, not mentioning PC is an oversight, of course that's a welcome discussion point along with mobile games!

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Nintendo: I'm pretty sure that they're working on Mario Odyssey 2, and that will be my favorite game of all time, a thing that puts a smile on my face. In entertainment only the best movies or music could do that to me, before Mario Odyssey (1) came along.

Sony: Never owned a console, but GOW and Spiderman seem to really make a lot of people happy, so good for them. And their TV I once bought is entering its 12th fully functional year, so I played a lot of games on that thing.

Microsoft: They made Windows, and Windows provided me with a platform that hosted so many great games to play, starting when I was just a 10 year old kid.