• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
It's a bold move by the R's if they move to impeach anyway, I would expect they're thinking about 2028 elections, as impeaching Trump would likely decimate their chances in 2024 and Trump might even publicly support a third party runner.

It's gonna take time for the GOP to purge itself from Trumpism and try and regain some lost centrist votes, if they ever manage to recover, and hopefully they won't without a radical shift to the center.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Being pleased by it, and bringing it to the senate floor are two different things. Won't hold my breath that he'll bring this to the floor before Trump's term ends

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
He got his judges so it's fuck Trump. I think if anything this is to legally prevent him from running in 2024. What are those Maga heads going to do, become Democrats? lol

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The old guard Republicans want Trump out of the picture moving forward, and they're right to. There is no future for any of them (let alone for any of us) in the world Trump's fanatics want. If that wasn't obvious before they tried to hang the Vice President, it's obvious now.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt that McConnell and others would like to excise Trump from the party to try and regain control of the reins and that this is a rare & tempting opportunity to that.

From their perspective the question is how much of a risk is it to the establishment GOP if they openly declare war on Trump? Supporting impeachment would definitely be an open declaration of war, there is no question about that, but they need to make sure it is a war they will likely win. I think Trump, the individual, could actually be reasonably well contained by this. For one losing his twitter lessens his ability to whip up rage and if he's barred from running in 2024 then it's harder to make himself the focus of national politics, which is the only reason that narcissist was interested in politics in the first place. Also his children are so pathetic that I seriously doubt that they are a threat.

Containing Trumpism is much more difficult. It's such a malignant cult and it's got such a stranglehold over US rightwing politics that I'm not sure how establishment republicans can take it down without serious collateral damage. What does Hawley, Marjorie Taylor Greene and all the other trumpers in the senate and especially the house do if McConnell helps get him impeached and convicted? If it does happen and a substantial number of pro-Trump republican congresspeople resign from the party, then I reckon the GOP are in big trouble 🍿.
its worse for them if he runs 3rd party. it might cost them 2022, but its far better long term to do this and miconal knows it.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Republicans don't want to damage their potential future voters, even if they might just vote for Trump, the GOP thinks that they are republican voters and rather not look worse to them.

I think they're looking at it differently, Trump at his zenith brought 75 million voters which is unprecedented but also angered more than 85 million voters and cost the GOP all three branches of the government.

Couple that with the QAnon nutjobs creeping their way through the GOP and the attempted coup which might move even more centrists and moderates towards the Dems, I think the GOP leadership sees Trump as wounded, weak and just dead weight.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bold move by the R's if they move to impeach anyway, I would expect they're thinking about 2028 elections, as impeaching Trump would likely decimate their chances in 2024 and Trump might even publicly support a third party runner.

I'm thinking it's the opposite- impeachment and removal is the equivalent of ripping the band aid off. Doing it takes Trump out of contention for 2024 no matter what. They can immediately pivot to rebuilding their platform.

Failure to impeach is just going to lead to years of in ighting within the GOP as Trump will continue to toy with the concept of running for the next four years even if I personally don't think he actually will.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Cheney is also the 3rd highest ranking house Republican, so her saying this publicly is significant.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
If the NYT had a needle on senate voting no or yes on removal, it has shifted towards conviction. This story doesn't come out without Mcconnell wanting it to come out.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Really incredible that the rest of the country has been facing this threat for the last four years and it only matters when the extremists literally make it into the capitol. Makes you wonder how many other important issues would be solved if it affected lawmakers directly.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
People keep saying this, meanwhile the Republican party keeps losing elections. The "base" is not enough and they know it. It isn't even enough to win senate seats in Georgia.

Further do you really think the base is going anywhere? They'll line up behind the next Republican asshole just the same. The trick is winning votes beyond the base and this is not something they can do with Trump being so toxic.

They need Trump gone from good so they can rebuild, simple as that.
They aren't losing elections. On the whole, republicans have gained more seats and have won a significant amount of down ballot votes.

The president and the recent senate runoff is not consistent with overall voting

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This is an opportunity to cut Trump loose. If Trump can't run in 2024, and without social media, I am not sure how influential he'll be. He certainly won't be dominating the election cycle in the way he would have had he not been banned from so many online platforms.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
I'm thinking it's the opposite- impeachment and removal is the equivalent of ripping the band aid off. Doing it takes Trump out of contention for 2024 no matter what. They can immediately pivot to rebuilding their platform.

Failure to impeach is just going to lead to years of in ighting within the GOP as Trump will continue to toy with the concept of running for the next four years even if I personally don't think he actually will.

Yep they want to purge the party from Trumpism and regain control as soon as possible, for establishment GOP Trump is a threat who sidelined them from control.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
It feels like a no brainer to impeach and purge the GOP of Trump's influence.

But I've learned not to expect brains from the GOP.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Of course he does, if he isn't impeached he will run in 2024 as independent and fuck over the Republicans vote.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Really incredible that the rest of the country has been facing this threat for the last four years and it only matters when the extremists literally make it into the capitol. Makes you wonder how many other important issues would be solved if it affected lawmakers directly.

It wasn't that. It's the fallout from 1/6 fucking with GOP money. Trump is radioactive right now and they can cut the tumor out right now because they have political cover. This parade of criminals being arrested isn't going to end. Eventually they are going to find the people that murdered the officer, for example. It's just going to be an endless stream of bad news piled on the GOP unless they break completely from Trump.

Mitch is many things but he's not stupid.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Nah fuck em regardless of whether he impeaches or not, he got his billionaire tax cuts and 6-3 Supreme court under Trump.

Trump simply outlived his usefulness to him as soon as he got those, good thing it's not enough for McConnell and I hope this Trump cult will make him and rest of the GOP's lives miserable, post-Trump era.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Liz Cheney voted Nay on both articles of the previous impeachment. Not only is double impeachment so incredibly unprecedented, it also allows for a comparison of voting record.

ZNPR1js.png

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do not think for a single solitary second that this is because Mitch grew a conscience.

The only reason Mitch would entertain this is because he see's the writing on the wall. He lost his majority bc of Trump's bullshit and knows hitching the GOP's wagon to him is now untenable.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand this "purge Trump from GOP" talk. If Trump is removed with the support of GOP leadership, that party is fucking DONE. Democrats will control the government for ten years minimum; the GOP is the cult of Trump, and almost nothing else, at this point.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are going to go the Nixon route. McConnell and McCarthy go up to the WH to tell him that he has lost the support of the GOP powers that be and he needs to resign or else he will be removed during the Senate hearings.

Sadly, Trump will pull a Palpatine and say "I am the GOP". To a certain extent he is correct. His base has been talking about establishing a "Patriot Party" and how the establishment GOP has been losing more and more elections and that is a sign that the GOP we all have grown-up with is on its last legs.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There has definitely been a shift, Trump is no longer untouchable, he is a massive liability for all, and they're probably eager to make sure he isn't taking all the air in the room in 4 years. So I can believe he is favor of the idea.

But I won't believe he'll actually vote that way til it is done.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are going to go the Nixon route. McConnell and McCarthy go up to the WH to tell him that he has lost the support of the GOP powers that be and he needs to resign or else he will be removed during the Senate hearings.

They want the conviction so he can't run again as 3rd party.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sadly, Trump will pull a Palpatine and say "I am the GOP". To a certain extent he is correct. His base has been talking about establishing a "Patriot Party" and how the establishment GOP has been losing more and more elections and that is a sign that the GOP we all have grown-up with is on its last legs.
he can do that, but if he is remoived, he himself cant run, so.