Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like many cycle-accurate emulator authors are ceasing development.
Blastem, Sameboy, MelonDS, mGBA, ares, Mednafen and MAME all still get regular updates. There are even a few newer accuracy focused software emulators I've heard about like Skyemu (GB/GBC/GBA), Nanoboyadvance, and rokuyon (N64). And some like Mesen or bsnes that don't have their original author around or someone carrying on the torch were already in very complete states.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Any lag test info on this joystick?

Dark Matter Arcade Fighting Stick with Sanwa joystick and Vewlix style buttons for Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Android - Monoprice.com

Dark Matter™ by Monoprice™Arcade Fighting StickCompatible with Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and AndroidThe Dark Matter Arcade Fight Stick controller brings your retro
Well I decided to take the plunge on this for $99 after tax given it's an aluminum frame and genuine Sanwa switches. I will see if I can run a lag test on it for the database.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Not every Mister core is even cycle-accurate. It just seems like its a lot less programming effort to make a highly accurate FPGA core versus doing so in software.
Shows what I know. I thought a cycle-accurate emulator was the equivalent of an FPGA quality emulator.

Blastem, Sameboy, MelonDS, mGBA, ares, Mednafen and MAME all still get regular updates. There are even a few newer accuracy focused software emulators I've heard about like Skyemu (GB/GBC/GBA), Nanoboyadvance, and rokuyon (N64). And some like Mesen or bsnes that don't have their original author around or someone carrying on the torch were already in very complete states.
And TIL there are many more cycle-accurate emulators I hadn't heard of before.

So, if a Raspberry Pi had more power to run cycle-acc. emulators, could that be similar to a MiSTer setup? Or will MiSTer still have more advantages?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Shows what I know. I thought a cycle-accurate emulator was the equivalent of an FPGA quality emulator.

And TIL there are many more cycle-accurate emulators I hadn't heard of before.

So, if a Raspberry Pi had more power to run cycle-acc. emulators, could that be similar to a MiSTer setup? Or will MiSTer still have more advantages?
You would still be dealing with the latency that comes with software emulation.
Latency can be dealt with.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
You would still be dealing with the latency that comes with software emulation.
Not necessarily, many of the 16-bit and lower emulated systems have a runahead option in software emulation that can drop latency lower than FPGA and original hardware in many instances.

Run Ahead - Libretro Docs

This is RetroArch's document page, modification or development information outside of this repo may be incorrect.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I seem to have lost the update script. When I google it, I keep coming up with the Update All script, but I'm looking for the plain old Update script.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed when I booted up my MiSTer for the first time in a while, I got an error about some unknown INI values relating to jammasd. Removing those was easy enough, but it made me wonder what else I might be missing about the INI, like new features. Is there an easy way to migrate to a newer INI version while keeping old settings, or is this going to be a manual process?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed when I booted up my MiSTer for the first time in a while, I got an error about some unknown INI values relating to jammasd. Removing those was easy enough, but it made me wonder what else I might be missing about the INI, like new features. Is there an easy way to migrate to a newer INI version while keeping old settings, or is this going to be a manual process?

You can obtain the latest default version of the ini here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/blob/master/MiSTer.ini

I can't think of any way to make this process automated.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Outrun Beta is out there for patrons, long time coming.
How is it? I've enjoyed playing it in Retroarch lately (I love and have bought the M2 versions, but it still bugs me that the car is altered), but am looking forward to it on MiSTer. The updates have been fascinating to read about; the effort going into getting it to work is pretty wild.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How is it? I've enjoyed playing it in Retroarch lately (I love and have bought the M2 versions, but it still bugs me that the car is altered), but am looking forward to it on MiSTer. The updates have been fascinating to read about; the effort going into getting it to work is pretty wild.
It has a few glitches here and there and the graphics overall look "off" - it is kinda hard to describe in words. Things aren't always the right colors, it is weird.

Apparently it is a side effect of how the frame buffer is implemented (or rather, that it isn't) - it will be fixed but the solution will not run on older platforms than the MiSTer or Pocket.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What is the best place to get one these days...I might get another one. Digikey or Terasic?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is a great interview. Jotego confirms he's going to work on all the Midway family (not just MK1), but that CPS3 is a big task due to several large custom chips.

I know it's probably impossible due to the high clock speeds (for the time anyway), but I keep hoping that somehow they'll get Killer Instinct Arcade running on this thing.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
This is a great interview. Jotego confirms he's going to work on all the Midway family (not just MK1), but that CPS3 is a big task due to several large custom chips.

I would've like to see the Midway stuff come before CPS3, personally, but I it's great to hear that all of it is coming. I can't wait to play the arcade versions NBA JAM and Open Ice again!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I would've like to see the Midway stuff come before CPS3, personally, but I it's great to hear that all of it is coming. I can't wait to play the arcade versions NBA JAM and Open Ice again!
I somewhat selfishly hope for some issue to pop up that delay or de-prioritize CPS3 for a while.

I get that people want SF3 (I do to) but I'm not sure everyone understands the opportunity cost of it.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Alright I might pull the trigger on a full setup before the upcoming price increase. I don't have a OLED screen though (QLED), and was wondering just how good are the shadow masks video filters options now? Are they at RetroTink5x's level? I really don't want to mess with my flawed PVM atm

Leninpest

Oct 27, 2017
Alright I might pull the trigger on a full setup before the upcoming price increase. I don't have a OLED screen though (QLED), and was wondering just how good are the shadow masks video filters options now? Are they at RetroTink5x's level? I really don't want to mess with my flawed PVM atm

I have a 2017 QLED and the adaptive scanlines are on par with the RetroTink IMO. I don't use shadow masks but they are very similar as well. I think you'll be happy with them if you're happy with RT.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Favorites script a lot and have been waiting around until NeoGeo worked with it, in the process learned that games can come in a single file *.neo format and that the script would work with those (and probably wouldn't be updated for the zip/folder format).

Figured out how to convert them and it works great now, I'm not sure there is any system that I care that much about that isn't covered by the Favorites script. I was extremely pro-MiSTer UI before this existed and now it is 100x better. I just wish I could call it from within a core menu, so I didn't have to reboot after each game.

Also in the process learned that "Metal Slug 2 Turbo" is a thing, and that really made my day as someone that prefers 2 over X by a considerable margin but hates the slowdown.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

The default Mister distribution has Tink5x shadow masks in it plus many more. Plus you can download more or even make your own, its not super complicated.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Is there anything to keep in mind in regards to memory cards/saving with the PSX core? I'm playing King's Field and my saves are gone every time I boot the game. I managed to get a broken save going by manually saving the memory card file or whatever but all my other saves were lost, no matter what I did.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Is there anything to keep in mind in regards to memory cards/saving with the PSX core? I'm playing King's Field and my saves are gone every time I boot the game. I managed to get a broken save going by manually saving the memory card file or whatever but all my other saves were lost, no matter what I did.
Put each of your game files in a separate folder and they will get a memory card to themselves. If all your files are in one folder, them only get one memory card.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019

Shouldn't be anything special compared to the other cores, save in game, make sure auto save is on in the core menu and bring up the osd before shutting off the system to save the save to the sdcard. It's recommended to have each game in their own folder not only for correct behavior with multi disc games but also so that it will make a virtual memory card for each game. If all else fails at least the psx core has save state support but there shouldn't really be any issue using saves.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I had all the games in their own folder but it didn't work anyways. I think I fixed it now by just deleting the old .sav file. Maybe it was incompatible/broken because it's from an older version or something? Whatever it was, it's the first time a save actually survived a reboot and was able to load so I think it's fixed now.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't be anything special compared to the other cores, save in game, make sure auto save is on in the core menu and bring up the osd before shutting off the system to save the save to the sdcard. It's recommended to have each game in their own folder not only for correct behavior with multi disc games but also so that it will make a virtual memory card for each game. If all else fails at least the psx core has save state support but there shouldn't really be any issue using saves.

Surely Konami games should be in the same folder? :)

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I got a couple of questions that have come up since my MiSTer has been connected to my main TV. Why do I have to re-enter my wifi information each time my mister is powered off for a while? I have a USB wifi dongle just like the one sold on misteraddons.

Also has anyone had trouble with the HDMI on this thing breaking their TV's "change input to detected signal" HDMI switching? I need to try another cable, but just don't have one on hand.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Also has anyone had trouble with the HDMI on this thing breaking their TV's "change input to detected signal" HDMI switching? I need to try another cable, but just don't have one on hand.

CEC is kind of a mess with Mister, some kind of CEC stripper is recommended.

The other thing is you're going to be losing sync momentarily when switching cores, and with vsync_adjust=2 even when switching resolutions. Even vsync_adjust=1 won't save you if the refresh rate starts changing.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a couple of questions that have come up since my MiSTer has been connected to my main TV. Why do I have to re-enter my wifi information each time my mister is powered off for a while? I have a USB wifi dongle just like the one sold on misteraddons.

Did you edit and rename the linux/_wpa_supplicant.conf file with your SSID and passkey? Check the MiSTer wiki for instructions on that.

As for HDMI, I doubt it's your cable. Share your mister.ini file and we can look over the settings and offer some ideas.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
CEC is kind of a mess with Mister, some kind of CEC stripper is recommended.

The other thing is you're going to be losing sync momentarily when switching cores, and with vsync_adjust=2 even when switching resolutions. Even vsync_adjust=1 won't save you if the refresh rate starts changing.

I haven't had any trouble switching cores, but the CEC stripper sounds like what I need. My partner can't get over how many bits and pieces I've had come in the mail for this thing. LOL!

Did you edit and rename the linux/_wpa_supplicant.conf file with your SSID and passkey? Check the MiSTer wiki for instructions on that.

As for HDMI, I doubt it's your cable. Share your mister.ini file and we can look over the settings and offer some ideas.

I didn't know about adding wifi info that. I'll look it up and give it a shot. I'll see if I can get my .ini file uploaded later today. Thank you!

Edit: My wpa supplicant file has my wireless info. I wonder if I'm just not giving it long enough to connect?

INI uploaded: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uXiIvvdSbDRoOUHLt4bGE29klfe5f-bW/view?usp=share_link

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
After running the wifi script I'm not sure I've ever had to think about or touch it again. Other than the transfer speeds being horrible, it is one of the more reliable devices on my wireless network.

And HDMI CEC wise I just find it is more trouble than it is worth.