thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It ain't just retro, believe me. There may be a more... visible? part of it because a lot of them tend to trend older and thus will have some stodgy views (which I am not defending, to be perfectly clear), but it's any enthusiast community for nearly any product or set of media. The fighting game community has it, retro gaming community has it, gaming communities centered around more recent series do it (look at anything super popular, ie Overwatch), etc.

I wish there were more pushback against, say, retroarch devs for being complicit in doxxing and harassing people, to the point we lost near/byuu. The problem with it is that the stink isn't there if you don't stick around long enough to sniff it, so the "regular/casual/whatever" user has no idea what's going on and how shitty it is.
Oh totally. I know this issue isn't exclusive to retro gaming. It's just always amazing to me how crotchety (to put it mildly) people in retro games communities can be.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It isn't too amazing, considering the age these people tend to be, and the demographics that gaming appealed to at the time.
Yeah, I get that but at the same time I don't understand it if that makes. lol. I get the correlation there but I just don't understand why people have to be that way. Then again, I feel like 90% of what this site (and many Reddit threads and many other gaming sites) are about is yelling at people about video games. lol. It just seems so exhausting to be so angry about something that matters so little in the grand scheme of things. Not to say I haven't had my moments since getting online back in '96 but I feel like I was like that more when I was younger than I am now as I've mellowed with age in that regard. Now when something really riles me up I usually get as far as typing out what I want to say, then I have the "what am I doing?" realization, then I either delete the message entirely before posting it and move on with my life or I dramatically alter the tone of what I was going to say before posting it.

Anyway, I really didn't mean to derail the thread with this so I'll just bring things back on track: I got overly excited when I received an email saying the shipping status of my MiSTer Multisystem order had changed, only to see that basically a shipping label had been made :/ lol

EDIT: Oh shit! I just checked the tracking for it again and apparently it's left the UK but for some reason I haven't gotten any emails about this. Very excited!

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, I get that but at the same time I don't understand it if that makes. lol. I get the correlation there but I just don't understand why people have to be that way. Then again, I feel like 90% of what this site (and many Reddit threads and many other gaming sites) are about is yelling at people about video games. lol. It just seems so exhausting to be so angry about something that matters so little in the grand scheme of things. Not to say I haven't had my moments since getting online back in '96 but I feel like I was like that more when I was younger than I am now as I've mellowed with age in that regard. Now when something really riles me up I usually get as far as typing out what I want to say, then I have the "what am I doing?" realization, then I either delete the message entirely before posting it and move on with my life or I dramatically alter the tone of what I was going to say before posting it.

Anyway, I really didn't mean to derail the thread with this so I'll just bring things back on track: I got overly excited when I received an email saying the shipping status of my MiSTer Multisystem order had changed, only to see that basically a shipping label had been made :/ lol

EDIT: Oh shit! I just checked the tracking for it again and apparently it's left the UK but for some reason I haven't gotten any emails about this. Very excited!
Absolutely with you. Even with some discussions here I have to basically bite my tongue because I know I have some unpopular opinions that, quite frankly, don't amount to a hill of beans most of the time anyway. But someone will absolutely tell me how wrong I am to think a certain way, lol. Having that kind of introspection definitely comes with age and experience, though. Some people just lack that second one or don't care to begin with.

Also on topic: at least a shipping label means maybe you're going to be getting it shipped soonish?

I'm still wanting to potentially get my MiSTer setup into a state with an ITX board for that sweet consolification. I know how mini the setup is right now in case I want to move it, but at the same time I don't foresee doing that anytime soon.

ALSO on topic, I ordered some PCBs to be made so I can make Fighting Board Picos out of them for use as semi-dedicated MiSTer sticks, maybe in a box, maybe just as their own thing, maybe as a replacement PCB for one of my really old cases as a project (I got a Pinecil recently and am itching to solder stuff!).

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I try to interact with the Discord minimally. Just the other day I had the audacity to suggest the slightest of insults in Putin's direction and some russian/trump stooge came out of the woodwork. Shitty people are everywhere.

Discord has never made sense to me as platform for these kinds of things. It reminds me of IRC or something, in that the information isn't static. (It's very possible that I just don't know how/am using it wrong/am too old.) In any case, I'm happy to be steering clear of these spaces based on what others are sharing.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I've followed quite a few people in the retro gaming scene that I later realized are entirely pieces of shit. It's such a bummer, but I'm not surprised.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Discord has never made sense to me as platform for these kinds of things. It reminds me of IRC or something, in that the information isn't static. (It's very possible that I just don't know how/am using it wrong/am too old.) In any case, I'm happy to be steering clear of these spaces based on what others are sharing.
I feel this way too. I can't keep up at all on what happens on Discord, threads are difficult to read through and are full of off-topic posts, so I've left most communities, and I now only use ones with friends and coworkers. Previously, the only one I liked was the one for the guild I was part of in FF14.

Anyway, time to run update_all after what feels like a month or two since my last one to see what's new. :)

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like whichever is on the remote board is worse off, but it happens on both the remote board and main board. It's way less or maybe even hard to notice on point blank 2 vs my rgb-pi or MiSTercade.

Yeah, I've heard that once the flyback needs replacing it's game over. What would cause me to have ground issues once the switcher is introduced? I have none of these issues when removing the switcher. John Riddle actually is offerring to let me send him the switcher to inspect it. But I'm with you, I feel like it's something with my cab. Also, this wasn't happening at all when I first set all of this up. But I've swapped boards back and forth a few times and at a certain point it started. Frustrated :/
If it's happening on one both remote and local then I suspect the relays are malfunctioning on the switcher. It would be best to send them back to riddledtv as you are planning on doing. I don't know if you have an oscilloscope on hand, but I would probe the video signals on the output of the mistercade and the output of the switcher and see if the switcher is somehow corrupting the signals.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Just pre-ordered a MiSTer Multisystem:

https://rmcretro.store/multisystem-board-only/

Pretty excited! Already have a DE-10 nano (actually bought it at the start of the pandemic before the price went up) and I'm trying to think of what else I need? I bought one of their 3D printed cases with it as well as a Monster Joysticks Case. I forgot to include a power supply so ill need that and I'm guessing I'll need ram? I was thinking of getting that from here:

https://misteraddons.com/collections/parts/products/sdram-xsd-2-9-128mb

How much ram would I need to get the most out of stuff like the PlayStation core?

EDIT: It looks like the Multisystem comes with 128mb of ram.

EDIT2: I'm guessing I don't need this?

https://misteraddons.com/products/in-line-power-switch?variant=34262991831173

EDIT3: Just realized I don't need the Monster Joysticks Case since I'm getting the 3D printed case. Gonna try to remove it from my order.

Just curious, has this shipped yet? I ordered one a bit after you but haven't heard anything.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
If it's happening on one both remote and local then I suspect the relays are malfunctioning on the switcher. It would be best to send them back to riddledtv as you are planning on doing. I don't know if you have an oscilloscope on hand, but I would probe the video signals on the output of the mistercade and the output of the switcher and see if the switcher is somehow corrupting the signals.
That's a great idea, but I unfortunately do not have access to an oscilloscope. I'll send it back and see what he says :)

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
PXL_20221021_172614433.MP.jpg
Super Mario Land 2 is 30 years old today! :)

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
FYI - for anyone who ordered a MiSTer from Mister Addons and was waiting for them to restock their aluminum cases, they have some back in stock for both the analog and digital I/O versions.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The PSX core has been updated with 24-bit rendering, which addresses the sole complaint I had with this core. It makes the gradients, which are particularly common in RPG text boxes, totally smooth now. It also gets rid of the banding you'd see if you ever disabled dithering, which I think is the main pro for most people.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
The PSX core has been updated with 24-bit rendering, which addresses the sole complaint I had with this core. It makes the gradients, which are particularly common in RPG text boxes, totally smooth now. It also gets rid of the banding you'd see if you ever disabled dithering, which I think is the main pro for most people.

Nice. I should update and give Silent Hill 2 a play through...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Any compatibility issues?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the FYI -- gonna check things out this weekend (as well as the new updater).

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I haven't messed around with the settings since connecting the MiSTer up to my PVM, but are you able to universally set a fixed output resolution? I am interested in outputting all cores to 1600x1200 for use on a VGA monitor that has picky timings--is this possible?

EDIT: Thinking about this more, could I just do an integer scale of 5x for most console and arcade stuff?

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Fixed output resolution is how the HDMI side is mostly designed to work, that's the point of the "scaler." You can use either an HDMI->VGA converter, or use vga_scaler=1 in the ini, to get it to your VGA monitor. Most of the video settings in the ini pertain to the scaler.

1600x1200 will let most consoles go to a 5x integer scale, although you will have more or less of a border depending on the core. You can try messing with vscale_mode=5 to try and reduce the resolution to exact multiples of the core, but I've found results of that can get wonky depending on the core. You can even go so far as to make custom output resolutions and other settings for each and every input resolution.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Fixed output resolution is how the HDMI side is mostly designed to work, that's the point of the "scaler." You can use either an HDMI->VGA converter, or use vga_scaler=1 in the ini, to get it to your VGA monitor. Most of the video settings in the ini pertain to the scaler.

1600x1200 will let most consoles go to a 5x integer scale, although you will have more or less of a border depending on the core. You can try messing with vscale_mode=5 to try and reduce the resolution to exact multiples of the core, but I've found results of that can get wonky depending on the core. You can even go so far as to make custom output resolutions and other settings for each and every input resolution.

Thank you breaking this down. I'll dig in this weekend!

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone from Canada ordered from Mister Addons? I ordered his latest drop of a kit with aluminium shell and I'm freaking out internally about potential duties ($1037.03 CAD later)

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Has anyone from Canada ordered from Mister Addons? I ordered his latest drop of a kit with aluminium shell and I'm freaking out internally about potential duties ($1037.03 CAD later)

I did back in 2021. It was shipped USPS, so I don't think duty was too insane. (Granted nearly everything economically has changed for the worse since then, unfortunately.) Hopefully if your items are shipped USPS, you won't get screwed too badly.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
I did back in 2021. It was shipped USPS, so I don't think duty was too insane. (Granted nearly everything economically has changed for the worse since then, unfortunately.) Hopefully if your items are shipped USPS, you won't get screwed too badly.

I have best luck with USPS as well. FedEx is the absolute worst with DHL and UPS tied for second in regards to duties. USPS is a 40% chance I won't get charged anything. *fingers crossed* I think it's "priority international" which sounds like USPS to me. I'll report back when I get it in case someone else in the future has this question.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually looking at the Mister Addons kit (I guess whenever they're available) and can someone explain the difference between the analog and digital IO versions? I take it that you don't actually need the extra RAM?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm actually looking at the Mister Addons kit (I guess whenever they're available) and can someone explain the difference between the analog and digital IO versions? I take it that you don't actually need the extra RAM?
The analogue board has analogue out obviously. The digital IO has a power switch, room for extra ram a full sized TOS link port.

You can get analog out of the digital with a converter box, but you can't dual output.

Unless you you plan to use MiSTer on CRT's nearly full time, I'd just get the digital IO. The extra RAM so far hasn't been needed but who's to say going forward. We still don't know about Saturn yet

Last edited:

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
You may not even need the digital IO, its basically just TOSlink. If you're fine pulling audio from the HDMI that's already built into the de10-nano.

That analog I/O can save a lot of headaches if you're in to CRTs though. Direct video has a number of potential stumbling blocks, like composite sync not being passed correctly through whatever adapter, or needing an external sync-on-green circuit.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if the Switch classic controllers work with mister using a generic bluetooth adapter?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I have best luck with USPS as well. FedEx is the absolute worst with DHL and UPS tied for second in regards to duties. USPS is a 40% chance I won't get charged anything. *fingers crossed* I think it's "priority international" which sounds like USPS to me. I'll report back when I get it in case someone else in the future has this question.
Fedex is actually the easiest, with UPS next and DHL last. If you create a Fedex account, they wave the processing fee (this is a little known fact). UPS waves 5$ off the fee if you pay online in advance and DHL is the most expensive one with almost $20 in fees

But if you're close to a customs office, just tell them you'll process the item yourself, you will be saving lots of money that way (at the very least 20 to 30%, sometimes even more).

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The analogue board has analogue out obviously. The digital IO has a power switch, room for extra ram a full sized TOS link port.

You can get analog out of the digital with a converter box, but you can't dual output.

Unless you you plan to use MiSTer on CRT's nearly full time, I'd just get the digital IO. The extra RAM so far hasn't been needed but who's to say going forward. We still don't know about Saturn yet
Hrm, it's interesting because MisterAddons only sells the kit with twice the ram if you choose digital IO (which ups the cost), but yeah, my days of CRTs are probably over. lol

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Hrm, it's interesting because MisterAddons only sells the kit with twice the ram if you choose digital IO (which ups the cost), but yeah, my days of CRTs are probably over. lol
Well you can't add the extra RAM on the Analog board, but yes him including the extra ram probably gives him a bit more profit

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So I don't have an analog IO board and just have the digital. I today got a relatively newer consumer CRT from 2009. I am using an hdmi to component converter to get my mister to output to the TV(using direct video) the mister menu loads and looks great. Unfortunately the only core that will display on the screen however is the snes core. All other cores just stay on a black screen and the gui never loads.

Seems weird that the snes core works without issue but no other core will display.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
... and that's why I'm warning about the importance of the analog board for CRTs. :p

Every core has its own super-resolution for direct video, its possible your adapter isn't liking most of them. They are often strange things like 2048x240 and the like.

I recall recommending the cheap portta hdmi->component adapter and people had a similar experience. It's probably not that compatible with direct video.

Usually the HDMI->VGA converters work but you then have to get them to component somehow, you can use a break-out VGA->component cable with ypbpr=1 but that at a minimum means creating your own sync-on-green circuit as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
There is a thread on the mister forums about this.

Rahkeesh pretty much has it covered. Hdmi to Component adapters generally don't like it when resolution changes, so it works sometimes.

If you want to go Hdmi to vga to component, you need either a sync on green circuit or a vga to component transcoder.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Is there a difference between a cycle-accurate emulator and a MiSTer core? (Seems like many cycle-accurate emulator authors are ceasing development.)

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Not every Mister core is even cycle-accurate. It just seems like its a lot less programming effort to make a highly accurate FPGA core versus doing so in software. Probably helps that you can run all the different virtual chips in true parallel rather than having to schedule them to run on CPU cores, and the style of optimization is also very different (Fpgaspazumpass started the PSX core by developing a software emulator that was far too slow to run at full speed on a CPU). And even the most accurate software cores have to deal with additional input lag, sound buffering, and dealing with the host OS.

I also wonder about how much Retroarch warps the emulation scene, at least for pre-3D consoles. Less accurate cores like Gens9x and SNES9x gets front seat thanks to being featured on low-power ARM devices, rather than higher end PC-only cores like Blast'em and BSNES. Doesn't help that the BSNES author got pressured into suicide by doxxing and harassment either.