• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
This thread makes my head hurt. Spin?!?!?

Corporations the size of MS don't regularly lie to their investors, particularly the ones actively participating in conference calls on earnings, about relatively small chunks of the company. Xbox and gaming makes them money; it's not cloud computing or Windows, where the money really lives.

It's the CEO and CFO for Microsoft, not the marketing department or the PR hacks for the specific Xbox brand. They won't be CEO and CFO long if they routinely lie to their primary investors.

Can't decide if being trolls or just genuinely don't see the difference between the CFO discussing quarterly numbers and Major Nelson pimping State of Decay 2.

Nov 11, 2017
Aka, Microsoft wants to sell gaming software and services that connect to their Cloud Platform Azure. Consumer facing and Developer facing. No matter what client platform. The number of users that are using these services, aka engagement is what they are tracking.
Actually this is incorrect gaming is now a large part and the forefront of ms consumer facing products. Mixer ,xbox, xbox live and similar services is inportant for microsoft and azure going forward.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Corporations the size of MS don't regularly lie to their investors, particularly the ones actively participating in conference calls on earnings, about relatively small chunks of the company. Xbox and gaming makes them money; it's not cloud computing or Windows, where the money really lives.

It's the CEO and CFO for Microsoft, not the marketing department or the PR hacks for the specific Xbox brand. They won't be CEO and CFO long if they routinely lie to their primary investors.

Can't decide if being trolls or just genuinely don't see the difference between the CFO discussing quarterly numbers and Major Nelson pimping State of Decay 2.

The trolls most likely haven't worked in a publicly traded company at a level where they learn the relationship between the CEO and the board/investors.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Actually this is incorrect gaming is now a large part and the forefront of ms consumer facing products. Mixer ,xbox, xbox live and similar services is inportant for microsoft and azure going forward.
Do people even realize what Azure really is and who uses it for what? Do people here think its just some cloud set up to run game servers or something?

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Who the hell is losing money?!
Losing users is the same than lose money... it is the same.

MS is losing a lot of money with a tiny userbase... and before you try to say they are happy, good, etc they definitely are not... no company is... everybody want the big slice of the cake and that is even more true after you experience better sales in the past (360).

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Engagement is useless by itself. Engagement as a metric is only relevant when matched with userbase size. More specifically, engagement PERCENTAGE is nearly useless. What matters is the actual number of people who are heavily engaged, not how big they are in proportion.

If 25 million people spend on average $300 a year on content/services that is an engaged customer compared to 40 million who may only buy $100 worth of content each year. Android may have more users than Apple but who is making more money?

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I'm not sure you understand the concept of "losing money", you can't "lose" money from customers you never had.
?

You had 80+ million consumers... they had now 35+ million consumers.

They are losing a lot of money with that.

I don't know how you run your business but in mine if I had 300 consumers but in a few years I lose 150 it will makes me lose a lot of money. Money that I will hate to lose and I will try to do everything to avoid that.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Engagement is useless by itself. Engagement as a metric is only relevant when matched with userbase size. More specifically, engagement PERCENTAGE is nearly useless. What matters is the actual number of people who are heavily engaged, not how big they are in proportion.
Well Microsoft does track their userbase size with monthly active users, but that gets laughed off here as spin as well.

I disagree with your statement that engagement percentage is useless because having a high percent of your users be highly engaged is a very good thing. Of course it ultimately depends on what the company defines as highly engaged but Nadella's comments come as an explanation for why Microsoft's gaming revenue grew and he calls it a "great growth area." So obviously to them it is a valuable and meaningful metric which has actual measurable benefits to their bottom line.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
?

I don't know how you run your business but in mine if I had 300 consumers but in a few years I lose 150 it will makes me lose a lot of money. Money that I will hate to lose and I will try to do everything to avoid that.
Damn, did they really have 80+ mil consumers? And that dropped to 35+ this generation? o_O

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017

Spin isn't about telling a lie, it's that they might be taking the result from lack of growth and presenting it as a positive. Say two console makers are perfectly tied in both sales and engagement, but one greatly expands their business into the casual crowd. The one that didn't expand could now brag that their players have the highest-engagement on average, but that was a result of not growing like their competitor.

That's not necessarily what happened here, without all the information we have to figure it out or guess, but there are some possible scenarios that aren't as positive as they may seem that can be covered with spin.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Losing users is the same than lose money... it is the same.

MS is losing a lot of money with a tiny userbase... and before you try to say they are happy, good, etc they definitely are not... no company is... everybody want the big slice of the cake and that is even more true after you experience better sales in the past (360).

Sure, if you are Sony and have put more emphasis on PlayStation than other electronics/cameras etc. because the company as a whole was bleeding money but now its gaming is growing and being more profitable. So when you compare gaming to each other Sony is doing a better job financially but as a company Microsoft still dwarfs Sony. Microsoft can and will use Xbox as part of it's overall strategy so to simply say it only has 35 million or 40 million Xbox systems sold isn't really showing the whole picture because It's users online and engagement of those users are actually increasing.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Microsoft does track their userbase size with monthly active users, but that gets laughed off here as spin as well.

I disagree with your statement that engagement percentage is useless becausinf having a high percent of your users be highly engaged is a very good thing. Of course it ultimately depends on what the company defines as highly engaged but Nadella's comments come as an explanation for why Microsoft's gaming revenue grew and he calls it a "great growth area." So obviously to them it is a valuable and meaningful metric which has actual measurable benefits to their bottom line.

And basically this is all that needs to be said. The division is doing well. He answered investors questions at an investors call. His comment wasn't guided towards forum console warriors. At this point anyone who wants to keep arguing that it's meaningless, spin, PR, etc. will never grasp this, either intentionally or not. There is no point wasting your time with them.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Sure, if you are Sony and have put more emphasis on PlayStation than other electronics/cameras etc. because the company as a whole was bleeding money but now its gaming is growing and being more profitable. So when you compare gaming to each other Sony is doing a better job financially but as a company Microsoft still dwarfs Sony. Microsoft can and will use Xbox as part of it's overall strategy so to simply say it only has 35 million or 40 million Xbox systems sold isn't really showing the whole picture because It's users online and engagement of those users are actually increasing.
Users and online engagement happens with bigger user base... userbase will always be more important to a company because it what generate money, engagement, MAUs, etc.

MS dreamed to have over 80 million users now doing these MAUs, engagement, etc... not these 35 million.

Userbase is and it always will be the key metric for a game business.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

I just get the impression a lot of people on ERA don't actually know what Azure is.

?

I don't know how you run your business but in mine if I had 300 consumers but in a few years I lose 150 it will makes me lose a lot of money.

Yeah, that logic certainly holds up in some weird business school that doesn't exist.

If 25 million people spend on average $300 a year on content/services that is an engaged customer compared to 40 million who may only buy $100 worth of content each year. Android may have more users than Apple but who is making more money?

Apple, just on phones, takes in what is it, 87% of industry PROFITS off of 18% of unit sales. That is fucking insane btw. https://www.investors.com/news/tech...tphone-profits-but-small-slice-of-unit-sales/

also.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/ So last year might have been the first time Andoid app store(s?) generated more revenue than the apple app store, despite ~20% of phone sales.

I am only pointing this out because pure numbers sold don't necessarily represent the health of a product.

This weird, black and white binary arbitrary cause effect think on ERA is crazy making sometimes.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Users and online engagement happens with bigger user base... userbase will always be more important to a company because it what generate money, engagement, MAUs, etc.

MS dreamed to have over 80 million users now doing these MAUs, engagement, etc... not these 35 million.

You don't need to increase userbase to increase engagement. What are you talking about? MS is doing both.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
If I'm not using the wrong date... after 2012 they had over 80 million... they lose over half of that after 2014 without any perspective to recover until 2019-2020.
Wait....you think all of the people who had X360's have now moved over to next gen?

If that were the case then Xbox live subscriptions and MAU statistics would have dropped off a cliff, more than a 50% drop according to the tales from your ass.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

So Android is probably 10-1 with Apple in devices and it matters what to Apple. Nada.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
edit: actually removed the quote from teh poster as it's not worth my time as it will go nowhere.

Apple, just on phones, takes in what is it, 87% of industry PROFITS off of 18% of unit sales. That is fucking insane btw. https://www.investors.com/news/tech...tphone-profits-but-small-slice-of-unit-sales/

also.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/ So last year might have been the first time Andoid app store(s?) generated more revenue than the apple app store, despite ~20% of phone sales.

I am only pointing this out because pure numbers sold don't necessarily represent the health of a product.

This weird, black and white binary arbitrary cause effect think on ERA is crazy making sometimes.[/QUOTE]
I hate to tell you, but you are fighting an uphill battle. You're correct of course, though

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by post. Ignoring moderator post.
Did they hire Trump to write this? "Highest! Bestest!" lol

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Userbase generates more engagement... userbase is key no matter how this gen companies or some users try to spin.

80 million expending $80 is a hell of bigger than 35 million spending $100.

You still fail to understand that you don't need to increase userbase to increase engagement of the console.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Userbase generates more engagement... userbase is key no matter how this gen companies or some users try to spin.

80 million expending $80 is a hell of bigger than 35 million spending $100.

That's if the full 80 million is engaged. Let's be honest last gen Sony and MS did 80M consoles. That's not 80 million users. How many of us bought 2-3 of them over the generation.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If that was the key to success Ferrari would have shut down years ago.

You don't need to increase userbase to increase engagement. What are you talking about? MS is doing both.

Well he also thought console crossplay was anti-consumer and bad for gamers so it's pretty clear he doesn't want to shed any positive light on what Microsoft says or does. The fact is a user who isn't really engaged isn't a valuable customer to begin with. Valve can say they have 200 million active users but that doesn't mean a heck of a lot because my Steam account automatically logs in every time I turn my pc on.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?

sticking with your analogy then what this is saying is those 150 people are spending more because they offer a different product.

It's not like 80m 360 consoles being sold meant 80m copies of Halo were being sold to 80m people.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
?

But aren't they making more money this generation then last? So it's a moot point.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Yeah, that logic certainly holds up in some weird business school that doesn't exist.
It is called real world businesses.

You sell q lot more with little decrease in consumer spending resulting in way more revenue/profit. When you sell a product you can decrease the money coming from each unit to increase sales and overall have a bigger revenue/profit.

I do that every time.

I have a product selling 250 units per month at $31... I decrease its price to $25 to sell over 800 units per month (basically my month stock).

Engagement are products being sold.

You decrease a little the money coming from the engagement if you have twice the userbase but the overall revenue/profit will be way bigger.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Spin isn't about telling a lie, it's that they might be taking the result from lack of growth and presenting it as a positive. Say two console makers are perfectly tied in both sales and engagement, but one greatly expands their business into the casual crowd. The one that didn't expand could now brag that their players have the highest-engagement on average, but that was a result of not growing like their competitor.

That's not necessarily what happened here, without all the information we have to figure it out or guess, but there are some possible scenarios that aren't as positive as they may seem that can be covered with spin.

But didn't Matt say that in 2018 Xbox has been growing quite a bit? So it's not like they are stagnate and telling spins here. I'm pretty sure Xbox always had the highest-engagement even last generation when they both sold 80M units. It's not a spin.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people here that the Xbox business is growing constantly even though their hardware sales are lower than those of the competition.

Xbox One X will amplify this effect, no matter how many more PS4 Amateur Sony sells.

The pill will beome harder and harder to swallow in the future. Whoever calls a statement of the MS CEO (who is a genius) a spin not based on reality is embarassing themselves anyway.

dead.png

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
But aren't they making more money this generation then last? So it's a moot point.
You can do the math of what they could be doing with bigger userbase.

It is not moot.

It is a big issue for MS business... they lose a lot of consumers and that migration and that made they lose money... they are doing everything to gain back these consumers because they want that money, they want that bigger userbase, they want recover what they lose.

No company will ever be happy with what they have today when they could have way way way more but lose it for a série of own mistakes.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Not saying that Xbox One will match sales of 360 but, why are people here comparing the installed base on year 8 of 360 with year 4,5 of Xbox One?

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about how much profit you make even if you have 1 remaining user in the whole entire ecosystem. If that 1 user is giving you more money than your entire userbase last gen, then it's all good. Sounds like a bulletproof business model to me!
/s

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS made the right business decision to hide their console sales numbers. Sony did the same back with the PS3.
Keeping the fandom engaged also involve making the ecosystem appear healthier than it actually is. And fans being fans, will assume the beat case scenario no matter how unlikely.
But I am still fascinated at fans who have so much conviction, as to genuinely think Xbox is actually in a superior position compared to its competitors.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good news for Microsoft. If they use that extra profit to reinvest back into first party software, providing diverse experiences, they can grow that install base even further. GamePass and Backwards Compatability are great selling points — they just really need some new software that's super compelling beyond their core base.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying that Xbox One will match sales of 360 but, why are people here comparing the installed base on year 8 of 360 with year 4,5 of Xbox One?
At the end of the day, the 360 lost the company money and the XB1 will likely turn a profit. That is what investors care about.

That's good news for Microsoft. If they use that extra profit to reinvest back into first party software, providing diverse experiences, they can grow that install base even further. GamePass and Backwards Compatability are great selling points — they just really need some new software that's super compelling beyond their core base.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see if they do. I guess we will see.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

You sell q lot more with little decrease in consumer spending resulting in way more revenue/profit. When you sell a product you can decrease the money coming from each unit to increase sales and overall have a bigger revenue/profit.

I do that every time.

I have a product selling 250 units per month at $31... I decrease its price to $25 to sell over 800 units per month (basically my month stock).

You decrease a little the money coming from the engagement if you have twice the userbase but the overall revenue/profit will be way bigger.

Explain to me how Apple still controls 80% of the profits when Android beats them in sales by a very, very large margins. Consoles are a gateway to by more products through that product which neither Sony or MS see's any profits from. It's all about each of those users being engaged to buy shit.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

I do that every time.

You literally have no clue what you are talking about. Engagement has an ancillary correlation to products sold. Its about how much time and money your customers are spending. And, as other have pointed out, your engagement numbers might tend to go down the more consoles you have out there because you might/probably dilute the base of users who have high engagement (that is spending time and money playing), ie., "filthy casuals".