• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2021
Does anyone care about antitrust anymore? At this point the oil companies should just reform standard oil, the telecom should reform Mama Bell.

This deal is not large enough to ring alarm bells in terms of antitrust / competition laws / monopolisation. Market share will still be too low for there to be any objections to this deal on that front.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What is the ultimate goal here?
unlimited-money-unlimited-power.gif

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
This is not just the biggest gaming deal of all time or the biggest Microsoft deal of all time...depending on how you classify it this is the biggest Tech deal of all time.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
For perspective, the amount they are pay CASH is just under of half the valuation of Sony's market cap. And that includes Sony's other divisions that are not gaming.

If Microsoft wanted (and anti-trust laws would allow), they could as easily buy the Playstation division from Sony

Also, why does Phil Spencer have to worry about banning users on other platforms if the games don't come to other platforms ;P

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Console wars
Cool that the company which has consistently failed to capture the interest of the majority of console gamers for four consecutive generations can just buy up the competition.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Phil's comment about Xbox not being spotless makes much more sense now. I hope Microsoft kicks all the shitheads out ASAP and reforms that company...

Also, fuck you, Bobby.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
This is huge. As a PC gamer, I'm fine here (I may even consider gamepass now, depending on what from Blizzard goes on it). But if consoles were my primary platform I'd definitely suggest y'all buy Xboxes instead of PlayStations from here on out. Let's hope Kotick and other toxic leadership get the boot eventually, even if that involves the unfortunate reality of golden parachutes that always come with those things.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the thread when Vivendi bought Activision and merged it with Blizzard. This is like 100 times bigger news.

Karanlos

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't think you'll see Blizzard/Acti games on the service. Select titles perhaps, but Blizzard in particular to me is a PC-centric developer best kept separate. Add in the annual CoD launch numbers, and does it make sense to bring it day 1 to a service already kicking so many goals with its own first party/Bethesda titles? It's the old Sony first party day one service argument.

Blizzard in particular to me is the one to watch - that is a mess I'm real curious to see how Xbox/Microsoft both clean it up and get it back on track.
Quote from the blog post:
Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard's incredible catalog
Doesn't sound like a limited selection to me.

Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about this, the more uneasy I feel. Something about it seems ominous and that we're heading toward a monopolistic gaming industry. Plus, it feels weird to think of Crash and Spyro as Xbox exclusives now, those will always be tied to PS for me. Same for Tony Hawk.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
We're gonna do the whole song and dance about "surely they'll keep the games on Playstation" like we did after the Zenimax acquisition, aren't we...

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are we allowed to abandon "Good Guy Phil" yet?

Kinda kidding, kinda not.

Anyway, yeah, if this actually clears regulators, and COD goes exclusive, very hard to see how Sony competes. Damn.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I thought we would see GamePass on Playstation at some point, but I did not think it would be this generation...

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'd love to see whether the people saying it's a bad move and claiming anti-trust are PlayStation owners.

I definitely think there'll be some Xbox owners who think it's a bit much consolidation but I also think if Sony had made this move, there might have been less people saying it's concerning.
I 99% game on PC, this news affects me 0% at best. This acquisition is fucking terrible for the industry.

Stop being a childish console warrior.

M_a_X

Mar 20, 2019
My mind is blown, from everything I've heard, Microsoft has been way better at handling their acquired studios recently than they've were when they first entered the gaming space.

I wonder if Sony is going to make a move, a statement, or anything of the sort.

OP
OP
Kawngi

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
My head canon is that Mike Ybarra left Xbox to infiltrate Blizzard, became the head of Blizzard, and helped orchestrate the plan for the Xbox buyout.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into the Kotick news. I wouldn't be surprised if he's quickly gone once the deal is actually done.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Well, part of the succes of GP is the price, they just want more subscribers.

Yeah they are in the growth phase of the service where there are enough new users to maintain unlimited growth. Once that slows, they'll put the squeeze on the current user base and you'll see higher prices for reduced benefits, premium and basic tiers, etc. etc. Look at Netflix. Happens to every service.

Status
Not open for further replies.