• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Does anyone care about antitrust anymore? At this point the oil companies should just reform standard oil, the telecom should reform Mama Bell.

No one that actually cares (consumers) has much if any power to stop it by design because once the monopolies are in place, depending on the industry you have no choice but to deal with them on their terms and prices.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The most interesting deal in gaming history
Can't wait to see how this plays out
Would they go far enough to make COD Xbox exclusive? Now THAT could win you a console war
Tbh I don't think they can even do that since WarZone is already on PS5 but it's gonna be interesting to see.

It says Kotick will remain but I would not be shocked to see him step down after this. So much bad PR around him

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
The MS press release only says that Bobby is still the CEO for now. It doesn't make any forward looking statements other than that the division will report to Phil after the deal closes. Too early to say either way if Bobby stays or goes

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Unbelievable! Probably the biggest news I've seen in an incredibly long time.

Seriously hope they get rid of Kotick once the transaction finalizes. Wonder if this means that both Activision and Blizzard games will come back on Steam now!!

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I like XGP as much as the next person but this level of consolidation in the industry is shocking. And really surprised to see Microsoft investing so much into Xbox these past few years after a decade of sitting on the fence about its viability and, frankly, penny pinching a loss-leading division.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
WoW on PC Game Pass and CoD on Console Game Pass is nuts. 50 Million subs is pretty much a matter of when at this point.

Plus they get King bringing in billions yearly in the Mobile space. Insane move.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
CBS Radio's business report just reported that the deal is valued at $50 billion, not $70bn. Not sure how legit this info is, but they don't usually report on things like this, so when they do it's generally accurate.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
breaking-bad-jessie-pinkman.gif

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
"Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard's incredible catalog."

I legit just read that. That shit is wild. I ain't got nothing else. Surely we see a price hike before years' end.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I keep thinking this must break some kinda anti-trust law but then I remember this country is just a playground for the wealthy.

Make anothere fucking Disney and let scumbags like Bobby walk free why not? /S

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I'd be very surprised if consolidation like this could even pass regulatory scrutiny (especially after the Bethesda purchase)… but we seem to live in a time where large tech companies can almost get away with whatever they want so who knows.

Also, Kotick will definitely be out given that specific wording but he is also sure as hell getting a golden parachute last laugh out of all of this.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I am unsure how this is bad for the industry/gamers?

Activision we're already terrible for the industry. They moved/shut down so many talented studios just to focus on CoD.

All the talents/ips gone to waste just so they can milk the fuck out of CoD easy year. How can that get worse? Sure Sony may lose a massive ip (which I doubt) but the way Activision were heading it was never going to change.

Hopefully under MS, they can bring back the other ips, and make more then 1 game….

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
I hate to see another publisher being gobbled up.
Great get for Microsoft fans but man, I don't like where this is going.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Holy shit.

Please fire Kotick within a year, don't be cowards, please.

Please make CoD Xbox console exclusive, CoD was the first big game to start this console money hatting BS, letting it be the nuke would be so fitting. 😂

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just because the US hasn't been blocking this shit recently doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Teddy Roosevelt has a big stick waiting for everyone that lets these deals happen in the afterlife.
They won't block it. The end.

This is what happens when corporations capture both parties.

EU could block, but I don't see it.

If you don't think MS has talking to the EU about this already, you're mistaken. They all have insider info.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fucking A what a story to wake up to…

Can we get a over/under on 'Will CoD be on PS5" threads the rest of this week???

Status
Not open for further replies.