• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully the board gets let go after the deal goes through.

Also considering how Microsoft is invested in diversifying its catalogue for GamePass, I think the odds of seeing Tony Hawk 3+4 and Crash 5 just increased. I bet we'll see more unused Acti IPs get brought back.

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
This is insane.

I wonder how sony is feeling.

Nintendo can live off their own franchises forever.

How Sony is feeling? Get ready for Apple
In a battle of attrition, MS always wins in the long run. Always. They just have too much money.

Which is exactly why Sony's endgame has to be some type of partnership or merger with Google, Amazon, or Apple.

It's the only way forward. Sony simply doesn't have 70 billion lying around to compete with Microsoft in a spending war.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Damm, Nintendo has to start buying some shit or. There won't be big third party's anymore on Nintendo systems….

Nintendo will be fine.

Also, Microsoft and Nintendo have been getting along really well lately. I don't see their relationship getting worse. Some of these takes make me chuckle.

This needs to be denied by a govt. this is too much of a consolidation.

Haha, I doubt ANY government cares at all about this compared to everything else going on in this world. It's not even important enough they should waste time on it.

Oct 31, 2017
I could buy the game for $100 here in Canada for PS5 or download it as part of my Gamepass service.

Things will likely change in the future, but no recent actions Sony has done has screamed "good for consumers", this will hopefully force them to respond

Lol

Some of you will stretch anything to make massive consolidation and fewer competitors seem "good for consumers."

This isn't good for consumers whatsoever.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
So basically you are hoping that Microsoft doing something bad will hopefully make Sony also do something bad?

What?
I do not think this is bad personally. If they can clean up the company, it added a ton of content that I can play across Xbox, PC and mobile as part of my subscription.
Sony needs to react, which maybe will then make MS react.

Competition is fun like that

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
How Sony is feeling? Get ready for Apple

Which is exactly why Sony's endgame has to be some type of partnership or merger with Google, Amazon, or Apple.

It's the only way forward. Sony simply doesn't have 70 billion lying around to compete with Microsoft in a spending war.
I can't even imagine what this would look like. I do not like to imagine it, either.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, maybe I'll feel okay playing Activision games in the near future. On the other hand, cheering on multi-billion dollar mega corporate mergers feels a bit dystopic. Maybe WoW Classic will be on PC Gamepass? Oh dear, this warrants some reflection…

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is already beholden to mega corps. I mentioned things will likely change in the future but currently Gamepass is very consumer friendly and I can't worry about something that has not actually happened yet
This is bigger than what games you can buy on Gamepass, man.

What happens when MS no longer has to worry about competing, since hey, they own everything.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

That's what Jeff Grub was saying on his Nintendo podcast just now. Scandal after scandal over the past few years and the start of employees unionizing spurred the talks that according to him started in October/November and they worked over the holidays to finalize this deal. So while it's been in the works for a while, it's still coming in pretty hot.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Come on. There's more than fps in that deal. Crash, Spyro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Tony Hawk and so many other ips that Activision buried like Prototype

Bro if they start a new warcraft or starcraft TODAY, I will be nearing my 40s by the time they release them ......

So yeah. Tony Hawk just got hard cancelled so same thing there is nothing in the works.

I did forget about Crash and Spyro.

But even then given the amount of the deal, it's not those two licenses that are shaking my heart.

Oct 27, 2017
How is it giving us "more devices" when you know that Microsoft is gonna make as much of their stuff exclusives as possible.

This and the Bethesda purchase was basically them saying " You like Elder Scrolls? You like Fallout? Well you better own an Xbox or a PC of you can go fuck yourself because all future releases will be exclusive." Now you can add Overwatch, Diablo, and Crash to that list.

Its too big. The move on Bethesda was bad enough, but this is insane.

I guess I don't really get the feeling that Microsoft is interested in exclusivity or feels these purchases are about excluding Playstation or Nintendo so much as it continues to be a push towards Microsoft's insistence on making gaming platform agnostic in the future where the majority of the planet accesses these properties through cloud infrastructure.

Obviously the infrastructure and logistics of this streaming reality are nowhere close to being a reality at this moment and we're still a long way away from that but in an industry that has been rapidly consolidating long before Microsoft bought Bethesda and Activision, I think that their plan does do a good job of stripping away barriers to entry even if it does come at the expense of some of these titles leaving Playstation.

In a perfect world though, Microsoft and Sony could carve out some sort of way to enable these titles to still come to Playstation and make it work. Of course, that would be a bigger shock than this deal itself since it would require Game Pass being on Sony platforms in a manner that doesn't undercut their own business interests.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this sucks and really isn't a good thing for the industry. As customer it might be nice in the short-term. You get those games on Game Pass and we will get hope for IPs like Crash, Warcraft or Starcraft which were pretty much dead for me like everything else from Activision Blizzard.
But this isn't a move that should be celebrated, I am pretty sure Sony is now forced to buy at least a big publisher too and we will head more and more into a future were everyone will be sucked up. I am also not really comfortable with stuff like cloud gaming and streaming getting too dominant. I love Game Pass, but I also want the retail market and the classic consoles from Nintendo and Sony to stay strong to give me as many options as possible.
MS buying everyone under the sun will eliminate that.
A price increase for Game Pass is now unavoidable too and one we got some hikes like with Netflix it might lose appeal for me too, because I usually still love to own games.

I also definitely don't see this as MS "clearing the house"
Kotick and all the others now got an easy way out with ton of money and jumped from the sinking ship instead of going down with them, that doesn't sit well for me either.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
Consoles sold has not been the only, or most relevant, metric of success for years now.

People like you still think and act like we're in 2010. The world has and is changing. Subscription based services is where it's at.

Microsoft doesn't care if you have an Xbox console. As long as you're playing in their ecosystem, be it an Xbox, Windows PC or mobile device (through cloud gaming), they are happy. And by happy, I mean making an absurd amount of money.
Uh... okay. The comment I made was about brand strength and loyalty.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think everybody should stop and think that it's okay to feel happy if you're part of the Xbox ecosystem while also acknowledging that this is a really shitty situation for everyone who's not part of it and that the implications regarding the industry's consolidation movement being scary.

I for one am incredibly excited to play Blizzard games day 1 on my Xbox, but at the same time it's still something that makes me worry for the future of this industry.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
The only thing good about this is maybe they have some hidden old IP's we don't know about and maybe Microsoft could revive them? This is big news for sure but for me I stop playing Call Of Duty a long time ago and nothing so far from that company I care about expect for Overwatch, but I know I am in the minority.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

Some of you will stretch anything to make massive consolidation and fewer competitors seem "good for consumers."

This isn't good for consumers whatsoever.
Aside from the question of which games will no longer be available on Sony platforms...how else has the competition changed for these games being owned by Megacorp ActiBlizz vs Megacorp MS?

Sony has locked down many games in the past, MS responded with the nuclear option

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Nintendo will be fine.

Also, Microsoft and Nintendo have been getting along really well lately. I don't see their relationship getting worse. Some of these takes make me chuckle.

Haha, I doubt ANY government cares at all about this compared to everything else going on in this world. It's not even important enough they should waste time on it.
They'll push gamepass streaming onto Nintendo devices as the only way to play them, can't see many now MS titles making it to Nintendo, so not sure how its fine for them?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Uh... okay. The comment I made was about brand strength and loyalty.
One thing to always remember is the most costumers (especially the young ones) are not loyal at all. Nintendo has arguably the biggest brand strength of all the console makers and they landed a Wii U. And after that a Switch.

Its all about execution, marketing and content. Brand loyalty is a really small factor.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
It seems I half-remembered; it's not the "exact same thing", but they did say they'd be bringing future Bethesda games to other platforms "on a case by case basis"
www.polygon.com

Microsoft deciding ‘case-by-case’ about future Bethesda games on PS5, Switch

Exclusivity is the billion-dollar question

Before then stating that those future games would be exclusive instead:

www.videogameschronicle.com

Elder Scrolls 6’s Xbox exclusivity ‘isn’t about punishing PlayStation’, says Spencer | VGC

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has again reiterated that The Elder Scrolls VI is an Xbox exclusive.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I do not think this is bad personally. If they can clean up the company, it added a ton of content that I can play across Xbox, PC and mobile as part of my subscription.
Sony needs to react, which maybe will then make MS react.

Competition is fun like that
You don't think it's bad that millions of gamers who recently spent $500+ on a new PlayStation will be losing access to some of their favorite titles in the near future?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the question of which games will no longer be available on Sony platforms...how else has the competition changed for these games being owned by Megacorp ActiBlizz vs Megacorp MS?

Sony has locked down many games in the past, MS responded with the nuclear option

So if Sony locks down the next RE game, MS should buy EA then? And then if Sony gets exclusive rights to the next Sonic game, MS should buy up Take Two?

Sony only brought it on themselves you know... /s.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because Activision has slowly been forcing all of their studios to work on CoD, and through this, ideally we'll start getting other games other than CoD.

You're making up a scenario where games that are already available on a platform are going away for whatever reason, and that future games are also becoming Microsoft exclusives.

Yeah, on a positive note those studios may get to do something else and hey, StarCraft, you never know. I think generally it may be a solid culture change and freedom to do new things as well as old with all that headcount and less of a hollow grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.