Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
All those activision-blizzard games were previously locked on battle.net and EGS, now customers will have the choice of buying them on Steam (probably).

I have no horse in this race but on the flip side you can say all those AB games that were once available on playstation are locked out and gone now. Works both ways. That's prob what he meant by bad for consumers.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How's this good for the consumers? It's not.
Because Activision has slowly been forcing all of their studios to work on CoD, and through this, ideally we'll start getting other games other than CoD.

I have no horse in this race but on the flip side you can say all those AB games that were once available on playstation are locked out and gone now. Works both ways. That's prob what he meant by bad for consumers.
You're making up a scenario where games that are already available on a platform are going away for whatever reason, and that future games are also becoming Microsoft exclusives.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Have to say I did not see this coming.

Now for the months of speculation on what's going to be exclusive...

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah luckily, as I dont care for FPS games, none of these has mattered whatsoever so far ...

Kinda wish MS would diversify at this point.

If indiana Jones is another fucking fps in gonna flip out....
Come on. There's more than fps in that deal. Crash, Spyro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Tony Hawk and so many other ips that Activision buried like Prototype

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could buy the game for $100 here in Canada for PS5 or download it as part of my Gamepass service.

Things will likely change in the future, but no recent actions Sony has done has screamed "good for consumers", this will hopefully force them to respond
Just because you get an immediate benefit as a consumer doesn't mean it helps the industry as a hole. You get a cookie, while competition fades and the industry becomes beholden to mega corp.

Tyrion33

Mar 17, 2021
My initial misery of reading this news...

(that it's just impossible to come up with another historical corporate takeover in the entertainment industry that would have such negative repercussions on so many people. A gigantic fuck you to... what, 70(?) million PlayStation gamers? Literally the biggest Call of Duty platform just got ostensibly denied)

... has been dampened slightly by some of the funny replies. Kudos on the succession meme from Channel 5. The unintentionally funny - "isn't this pretty great deal for people looking to get a good deal on these franchises?" said un-ironically. Fucking lol.

But then stepping aside and actually looking at Activision and their games, outside of CoD, there are less franchises I'm personally still interested in than Bethesda, at 10x the buyout price. I guess COD carries a lot of weight. And Blizzard IP is juicy. But it's not about me, I'm positive lots of PlayStation people like those games a lot, just like with Bethesda titles.

But yeah, I'm old, I have historical reasons to dislike Microsoft that a lot of younger folks maybe don't. This roundly reignites my dislike of them into a burning passion. You don't see Apple flexing their market cap on this scale to fuck huge swathes of their industries at all. I'll probably be banned from here within a few short weeks due to the posts I'M GOING TO TRY NOT TO SEND AND I'M GOING TO START MEDITATING UNDER A TREE AND WE ARE ALL DEAD FROM CLIMATE CHANGE IN A GENERATION OR SO ANYWAY AHAHAHAHHHhhhhhhasdfhasdflkasdjf

Are we talking about sweat shop owning Apple ?
In this corporate world every company is there for one thing make money, So are Sony and Nintendo.
There are no « good » guys and « bad » guys just companies trying to make a profit.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I love all the "this is a monopoly" posts but also the responses where people are like "its not a monopoly yet!"

Like we all know where this is headed. They're not gonna just decide to be done buying up companies that provide their competitors with content.

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
I let out an audible WTF when I read this on my phone. I wonder if World of Warcraft and Hearthstone will still be on macOS once the acquisition is finalized.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
lol they're literally still playing out all the contracts that were in play before the acquisition. Ask this again when Starfield drops and you need an Xbox to play it (or a Windows PC). Then the next Doom, then the next Wolfenstein, then the next Fallout, Skyrim, etc… if you enjoyed any of those franchises on PlayStation, I hope you own a Xbox.

Feeling this stuff heavily is like 10 years out. It's a long term play that's going to have a huge impact.

You don't need any of that to play it since you will be able to play it with Xcloud.

Nov 8, 2017
People said I was crazy because I thought EA could get acquired by Microsoft. Redemption.

Had a bad night with a sick kid and waking up to this news was bonkers. Better than coffee.

I personally don't mind. I love Game Pass. The gaming industry is still huge when not including Microsoft.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Well if you're a Gamepass Subscriber it's enticing…

Exactly. There's pretty much never anything that's good for consumers universally. As much as we may wish it weren't so, we live in a capitalist world and corporate moves will always be what's good for executives and shareholders.

On the consumer end, those moves will usually be good for some consumer and bad for others (of course some moves are just bad for all with things like across the board price increases or what not). This is good for my bottom line as I love GamePass and now there will be more content on it down the road that I would have otherwise bought. It furthers the likelihood of Gamepass succeeding and leading to other platforms launching equivalent services down the road which is great for me as someone who hates buying games as a 99% "one and done" gamer. Obviously sucks for people who aren't interest in GamePass/subscription services period and those who don't want to buy an Xbox or PC to be able to buy the games that get made exclusive.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
The embarrassment of Xbox One's launch and the PS4 clowning on it all last gen…

MS:

screen_shot_2020-10-0cojvz.png
Needs Phil's face, lol

Oct 28, 2017
$70b lol fucking insane.

Shit just got real, like really real.

This will surely force Sony's hand into doing something big.

Crazy times.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Damn this fucking sucks.

I know gaming has always been a corporate nightmare basically since it's inception but still, the whole industry is being sucked into a mega corp with nothing on it's mind other than consolidation of IP via merger and purchase. Feel really shitty right now ngl.

Leonberger

May 3, 2021
Canada
This is what happens when you piss Microsoft off by getting exclusivity on one of their golden franchises (Knights of the Old Republic). They come and take your old mascots away from you haha.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you get an immediate benefit as a consumer doesn't mean it helps the industry as a hole. You get a cookie, while competition fades and the industry becomes beholden to mega corp.
It is already beholden to mega corps. I mentioned things will likely change in the future but currently Gamepass is very consumer friendly and I can't worry about something that has not actually happened yet

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I could buy the game for $100 here in Canada for PS5 or download it as part of my Gamepass service.

Things will likely change in the future, but no recent actions Sony has done has screamed "good for consumers", this will hopefully force them to respond
So basically you are hoping that Microsoft doing something bad will hopefully make Sony also do something bad?

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.