• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
So...

What would you all specifically want the rumored Halo and Gears spin-offs to be?

I'd like a squad-based, tactical Halo and a Gears that's like XCOM.
I want a Forerunner RPG, they have the reference material with the Forerunner Saga. There is so much you could do with a Forerunner RPG, your literally not limited in any way with the world or character. There is so much you could do with the origins of humans and first contact, the other species and politics, eventually you can get into the war and the Precursors/Primordial/Gravemind. For Gears I want a horror game or an XCOM like, Horror would probably be to close to the mainline games though.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Doesn't Microsoft own the Shadowrun IP and licensed it out to Harebrained Schemes? Still baffles me that Microsoft didn't pay them to port over the game to Xbox One.

I'd like to see this as well, depending on how well they managed to convert the controls / UI / text. The Shadowrun "universe" is an interesting one and could be spun into multiple genres, as seen by HBS' Shadowrun, Shadowrun X360, and Shadowrun 16-bit era. It might be a good fit for something along the lines of Deus Ex / Prey.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see this as well, depending on how well they managed to convert the controls / UI / text. The Shadowrun "universe" is an interesting one and could be spun into multiple genres, as seen by HBS' Shadowrun, Shadowrun X360, and Shadowrun 16-bit era. It might be a good fit for something along the lines of Deus Ex / Prey.

I would like to see a direct port of Shadowrun Returns but with the gameplay being action shooting like the SNES version as opposed to turn based because I think that it would be more fun.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Would a new Halo really be considered a bomb?
Well a bomb would be a good way to describe the thread that will spawn from it lol, you thought the GOW thread was moving fast. Wait till you see the mess that will be the Halo 6 reveal thread, fun to watch in a good and very bad way. That thread is going to depend on what 343 does.....

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://pursuenews.com/showtimes-halo-tv-series-starts-filming-in-october-filming-location/

ok this is the only way I know to shift the discussion on something less "hot".

Showtime is a huge network with a high quality standard (like Twin peaks 3 last year)

I've met only one game that I thought was worth the 9,5 status, planescape: torment :lol:
But maybe it's just our personal tastes, like once said one of the masterminds of italian literature, Torquato Tasso, "s'ei piace ei lice: if you like it, you could enjoy without regret"

Now this is what I'm talking about! My hype levels are through the roof at the thought of what a huge sprawling space opera set in the Halo universe might be. For the love of God give it the budget it deserves though, it could be huge if done right.

Alright, let's take a nice long look at how MS's 1st party offerings on Xbox One compare to Nintendo with the Wii U and Switch.

:P

The inevitability of a Nintendo acquisition makes this a moot point.

;D

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another random Halo spin-off idea:

A Halo multiplayer game in the style of Star Wars Battlefront. Every map is a large scale battle from different points in the Halo timeline.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Another random Halo spin-off idea:

A Halo multiplayer game in the style of Star Wars Battlefront. Every map is a large scale battle from different points in the Halo timeline.
I'm expecting Warzone in Halo 6 to be along those lines, well not the timeline bit :P Klobrille mentioned a large player count for Halo, we know their not doing a battle royale. So Warzone makes the most sense, as their original goals for Warzone were far bigger than what we got. Hopefully the extra year allows them to reach their ambitions, I'm expecting a mixture of Warzone and Battlefield.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Also I don't really think it's a conspiracy. Narrative based games this gen at least are reviewing higher than a more gamey game. Aside from Overwatch, MP games aren't reviewing higher than mid 80's or so. And I'm kinda astonished that OW got that high, not because it's bad. But because it's a MP only shooter at full price

I don't even like COd but when was the last COD to get above 87 MC

Mar 10, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Console warring, antagonizing another user, attempting to create inter-thread drama.

I already mentioned this thread in first page. Yes, that thread is indirectly connected to this thread because some reactionary posts because GOW's reviews here. And that thread is created just because GOW's reviews, otherwise it wouldn't happened. I'd explained in post on first page which is true, Klobrille. You, a legit insider, agreed to a post which accuses media for giving to Sony games a good reviews just because emotional storytelling. Which is a straight up bullshit. Now, you mentioned me here too because post in other thread. You did the same now as i did, right?

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I don't really think it's a conspiracy. Narrative based games this gen at least are reviewing higher than a more gamey game. Aside from Overwatch, MP games aren't reviewing higher than mid 80's or so. And I'm kinda astonished that OW got that high, not because it's bad. But because it's a MP only shooter at full price

Like I said before there isn't a conspiracy, it's just the type of games most long time gamers like to play. Go down the list of consensus goty winners each year and see what they all have in common, they're all single player games. Some are RPGs like Bethesda/Bioware stuff, some are naughty dog cinematic games, but they're all narrative driven single player (and SP only games largely) games. We can accuse Sony of making these as award bait, as if that gets them more money or anything, but they've been doing this since the ps2 gen with the original GoW and even Jak 2 and 3 arguably.

MP games just don't register with dedicated gaming communities like this and the media, who largely share the same tastes. The closest one came to upsetting the regular order was Overwatch a few years ago.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Let's chill alright. That thread began to turn into something else that I'd rather not engage with.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018

The funny thing about this trope is that 3 months from now the crop of "GOW wasn't that good" guys will come out, or the pacing has issues. The initial review will never get the full story on the quality of a game. It's easier to critique how a game makes you feel in the moment than how it's game play holds up under scrutiny.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Oh.. that's why you'd consider it a bomb.

Expectations are fairly low at this point it seems.
Considering how much Halo hasn't changed from it's formula in its reveals and releases...yea, I consider them bombs. But like I said...different of opinions...but I guess you have high expectations of bombs of the 6th iteration of a good selling franchised game. #shrug

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Halo spinoff should be the damn RPG everybody's been begging for. Personally I want something that can explore parts of the universe that has only been in the novels. RPG would be the best genre to accomplish this IMO.

Can't agree more. Microsoft has the opportunity to create the new Mass Effect by making a good Halo RPG.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.....who's playing/buying State of Decay 2?

Which version are you buying? Standard or Ultimate? Or are you playing via Game Pass or renting the game via GameFly/Redbox?

I'm personally buying the Ultimate Edition. For $40 Best Buy GCU, I can't go wrong. Get the game four days early, the season pass and a copy of the original game. I'm also buying an Xbox One X for State of Decay 2 as well. Going all in with the game. Very much looking forward to the game.

Anyone else looking forward to State of Decay 2?

Oct 27, 2017
Can't agree more. Microsoft has the opportunity to create the new Mass Effect by making a good Halo RPG.

100% co-signed. A Mass Effect-style Halo RPG would be phenomenal. Build a crew with multiple species, see different types of alien life, make hard calls on missions, the Halo universe is ripe with potential for that sort of thing.

Oct 27, 2017

Which version are you buying? Standard or Ultimate? Or are you playing via Game Pass or renting the game via GameFly/Redbox?

I'm personally buying the Ultimate Edition. For $40 Best Buy GCU, I can't go wrong. Get the game four days early, the season pass and a copy of the original game. I'm also buying an Xbox One X for State of Decay 2 as well. Going all in with the game. Very much looking forward to the game.

Definitely looking forward to it. Honestly I wasn't that sold on it last year but all this new footage from IGN has turned me around. I'm going with the Ultimate Edition, Best Buy GCU or Amazon Prime pre-order making it $40 is a steal.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo spinoff should be the damn RPG everybody's been begging for. Personally I want something that can explore parts of the universe that has only been in the novels. RPG would be the best genre to accomplish this IMO.

Not into Halo whatsoever but this would definitely get me interested. Also hoping for the Gears spin off to be survival horror or something similar. Should definitely be a good filler in between the last Halo/Gears games and the next ones.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Count me in with that Halo RPG. I've been dreaming of one since 2013, when the first (fake) Halo 5 leaks played with the idea of a semi-open world where Chief would fly with a Falcon engaging Scarabs. Halo's lore is too big to contain in linear, 8-hour campaigns. A proper RPG is the next step. Just like Forza does, Halo should make two separate types of entries with their games. RPG and FPS-focused games. Of course, the RPG's should be first person as well, but you probably understand what I mean.

I have already pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition and I've convinced my friends to get it as well. What we've seen so far from the game is incredible, a big improvement from the first game in all areas.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Buy for me for certain. Wich game has this haha.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Isn't that what you're doing here? Just sayin'.
You are right. Somehow went down to his standard. I apologize.

I'm expecting Warzone in Halo 6 to be along those lines, well not the timeline bit :P Klobrille mentioned a large player count for Halo, we know their not doing a battle royale. So Warzone makes the most sense, as their original goals for Warzone were far bigger than what we got. Hopefully the extra year allows them to reach their ambitions, I'm expecting a mixture of Warzone and Battlefield.
Getting warmer.

Have it pre-ordered. Can't wait for the cooperative fun.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looking forward to it. Honestly I wasn't that sold on it last year but all this new footage from IGN has turned me around. I'm going with the Ultimate Edition, Best Buy GCU or Amazon Prime pre-order making it $40 is a steal.

Yeah, same here. Was always interested in the game but the IGN coverage won me over. Also expecting coverage on the Inside Xbox May episode since it will probably be a week or so before the game releases. I did see the three maps in a video by Open World Games on youtube. They all look pretty good and should have an excellent amount of content to do. Also, im not 100% sure but I think the game has HDR. Love HDR. Very much looking forward to that as well. :)

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If any of you Microsoft Game Studios shills on Redmond's payroll are out there ninjaing this thread for feedback, let it be known that I will force feed cheese slices into my Playstations if you ignore all the console warrior shit post list wars that pop up, and focus on immediately giving us the OG Xbox game Sudeki.

Just do it. I'm running out of cheese and patience.

T8tLOL9.gif

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, the game wasn't really on my radar but I plan to play because of Game Pass. I don't really see a reason to "buy" any first party game at launch while I have my sub active. If I really enjoy it and want to go back to it some day, I'll buy when it's on sale.

gamercode

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Canada
If we look at what time Xbox exclusive power started to decline we would all point at the year 2016 because in that ms made "play anywhere" if ms gets rid of it things will improve and they will be able to go back on an equal grounds against the likes of Sony and Nintendo.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
"Oh, wow, 6 hours away from this thread and 8 new pages, maybe there's something new or a insider hinted at something"

*read the new replies*

"WHAT'S GOING ON"

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If we look at what time Xbox exclusive power started to decline we would all point at the year 2016 because in that ms made "play anywhere" if ms gets rid of it things will improve and they will be able to go back on an equal grounds against the likes of Sony and Nintendo.

You're saying Xbox would improve by forcing me to be unable to play the games I buy at my Windows 10 PCs. Did Playstation Cross-buy kill or harm the PS Vita & PS4 marketplace?

How would Xbox improve by forcing me to buy more Xbox consoles to play my digital games? How would the need to feed a hardware paywall help customers?

It's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.