• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So like do you just want ports of the old shit

Because they said all future Halo titles will be on PC

Yes.

343i art design and campaigns do the Halo franchise no favors whatsoever.

I would pay $80-100 for a good PC port of Halo 1-3 +/- Reach with full online MP and co op in a heartbeat.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I will have to say this no matter how this version of Halo 3 was assembled: It seems to work better than the MCC and more people are playing it, too. Having a ton of fun with it.

A bit of an offtopic question: Which Halo-related youtube channels are highquality and recommended? I just bought an XBone again after the MCC and Halo 5 burned me out in 2015 and want to get up to speed again.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Mind blown thank you

It's hard to find the info since the old website looks like it's gone but I do recall them originally being on CryEngine 3 and the focus was to create a Tactical Campaign during the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV and was going to try and depict the gameplay as accurate as possible to the books.

Seems when they went to Unreal Engine 4 they scrapped that and decided to just make a more traditional Halo MP experience instead.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
People acting surprised and lashing out at MS is puzzling.

These projects follow a path that should be familiar.

They get worked on. Either develop momentum or die off. If it does take off, it gets shut down by the IP holder.

I hope that both parties can do something official.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit it is project contingency! I can't believe they continued after all these years! A while back someone stole assets and fired everyone or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGDdVWzRAs

Actually it wasn't that as I previously thought. I was on the discord for Installation 01 and I brought up Contingency and was told by an artist on it that it was actually Venerance that was the single-player game set during the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV. Seems it was basically shut down due to having not only too few of them working on it but that both of them got work from 343i.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
They could just sell Halo Online with english textfiles for a few bucks, even though the original russian game was horrible, and let people enjoy ElDewrito... I would pay $20 for this crap just to get ElDewrito continued

I will continue to enjoy the classic Halo experience with the mod in 60fps, 90°FOV, custom viewmodels, etc. Who knows how long it will takes until we finally see any results of the MCC fixes they are promising...

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it on and off now. Aside from slightly janky mouse controls it is sooooooooooo fucking good that its unreal.

Its the Halo 3 you always wanted if you were on the PC. All DLC, 1080p 60 FPS, server browser, social and ranked MM, decent controller support, improved Forge etc etc.

I dont know how this notice will work. The game is already out in the wild so the only thing they can do is stifle future changes (which isnt a big deal, the game is pretty good already) but they might be able to kill off official servers and such?

I get why MS did it. It just sucks ass that they did. This was the definitive Halo 3 MP experience. I would have actually paid 10-20$ for this happily.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it on and off now. Aside from slightly janky mouse controls it is sooooooooooo fucking good that its unreal.

Its the Halo 3 you always wanted if you were on the PC. All DLC, 1080p 60 FPS, server browser, social and ranked MM, decent controller support, improved Forge etc etc.

I dont know how this notice will work. The game is already out in the wild so the only thing they can do is stifle future changes (which isnt a big deal, the game is pretty good already) but they might be able to kill off official servers and such?

I get why MS did it. It just sucks ass that they did. This was the definitive Halo 3 MP experience. I would have actually paid 10-20$ for this happily.

Not that it matters, but not all of the base maps are present, let alone dlc. And there is no match making.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I can pirate whatever I want because it isn't on PC?

If you really think its morally reprehensible to torrent a mod for 10 year old game on a console thats no longer in production, as if it would have ANY financial repercussions on Microsoft, well then i suppose our moral compasses dont line up exactly

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If you really think its morally reprehensible to torrent a mod for 10 year old game on a console thats no longer in production, as if it would have ANY financial repercussions on Microsoft, well then i suppose our moral compasses dont line up exactly
Halo 3 is on BC, still available to purchase via the Xbox Store AND is on the MCC too

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it matters, but not all of the base maps are present, let alone dlc. And there is no match making.

The map variety is pretty rough, yeah. Once you are on a rotational server, it pretty much is matchmaking, though. You can stay on 1 server the whole day, if you want.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Halo 3 is available to purchase via 360 BC, the Xbox One MCC release and, in the near future, via the effectively announced via press release PC port of MCC.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Unfortunately this is all the result of copyright law. I don't think MS really cares but as was posted in the OP if they don't take action they can actually lose the protections they have on the IP.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017

I will have to say this no matter how this version of Halo 3 was assembled: It seems to work better than the MCC and more people are playing it, too. Having a ton of fun with it.
Not sure specifically what you mean by work better, but Halo 3 MCC is much more faithful to the original than ElDewrito.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

360 being in production or not means nothing when the game is BC
So yeah your entire point falls flat

Also as expected it seems like they will scramble something together and re-release it officialy. wouldnt get my hopes up for PC MCC

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
Unfortunately this is all the result of copyright law. I don't think MS really cares but as was posted in the OP if they don't take action they can actually lose the protections they have on the IP.

I was under the impression that 's not the case, that isn't how copyright works, is it? The "Protect it or you loose it" applies to trademarks, but i don't recall anything about that being something with copyright as well.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
360 being in production or not means nothing when the game is BC
So yeah your entire point falls flat

Also as expected it seems like they will scramble something together and re-release it officialy. wouldnt get my hopes up for PC MCC

My point falls flat if and when you can show that Eldewrito caused a massive drop off in sales of Halo 3

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
My point falls flat if and when you can show that Eldewrito caused a massive drop off in sales of Halo 3

you said ANY financial repercussion. now its MASSIVE repercussion? don't change goalposts
i dont have sales numbers, neither do you, since they're not provided anymore. microsoft, however, does - so unless you want to call them liars, theres your answer.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The FoV slider was the impressive part about this in my opinion, and I just found the option to fix the gun model and arms so they don't appear all wonky with a high FoV.

The modders responsible for this are primarily PC gamers and seem to understand the types of options we want more than most actual devs seem to. Out of the box with the latest release, I'm pretty sure it got basically all my settings right. It knew my resolution (why don't more games default to your monitor's resolution?).

Hell, this is the first game in awhile to have a dedicated server browser. And it's accessible from several different websites.

And the server browser was available before 1.0!

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Wasn't the Russian Halo Online a P2W filled with micro transactions?

The modders removes all that and made modes and balance like the normal halo we all know and love.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still wanna know how much dough Putin gave MS to make the only new PC Halo title exclusive to one fucking country.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The same reason Call of Duty Online is Chinese exclusive?
Take advantage of a market that plays mostly F2P PC games and try to expand your brand. it was in beta phase and didn't go well, so it got canned.
Everyone is on the F2P train now a days, and Halo as a brand is the strongest in the US so I just dont understand

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
They've been saying that for 10 years. They don't care about the PC market at all. Broken game after broken game, a disastrous store and platform, UWP and its DRM, trying to get PC players to pay for Gold back on the GFWL days...
Can't part of the PC issues blame be laid at the feet of the All Might Gabe since he was so active in his hate of MS and working against them years ago. Maybe Phil can mend the fences here and one day have the win10 store stuff merge with Steam, but this would require Windows 10 and I know plenty of MasterRace people still on Win7 simply to spite MS.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't part of the PC issues blame be laid at the feet of the All Might Gabe since he was so active in his hate of MS and working against them years ago. Maybe Phil can mend the fences here and one day have the win10 store stuff merge with Steam, but this would require Windows 10 and I know plenty of MasterRace people still on Win7 simply to spite MS.

That doesn't explain how bad the platform is, how many problems do their games tend to have on PC (I see you there, Forza Horizon 3) or how bad UWP is. They need to do a lot of work to truly show how much they care about the PC market.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd just announce MCC for PC already. I really feel like all the upcoming updates and now this are leading to that happening.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Win10 is a service and they keep fixing things. Next major update coming in a few weeks improves the game bar a ton and directflip is now fully enabled solving decade old task switching issues.

That still doesn't fix the main problem. The store sucks and UWP sucks as well. And Halo 5: Forge had a lot of problems on PC as well.