• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Don't talk down to me "boss."

Are you that dense? Halo is at an all-time low point. This thread proves it.

PEOPLE ARE ACTIVELY MAKING THEIR OWN HALO GAME BECAUSE THEY CANT GET IT THE WAY THEY WANT IT ON CONSOLE OR PC.

The "we" refers to everyone, besides you apparently, who stopped playing Halo and didnt enjoy the new expierences. Read this thread. Read the Halo general here. Read /r/halo, read anywhere Halo is discussed. There's a reason the game's population is low and if you don't see it "boss" maybe you need to take a step back and see why.

"C'mon son"

lmaoooo

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Bruh it's the internet. Everyone forum and subreddit are full of people complaining. It's like saying Valve is at an all time low because of the shit posting.
I know how the internet is, i was responding to a child who thinks "lmaoooo" and talking down to people is a constructive way to get a point across.

But you're saying the poster i responded to doesnt understand where to find a group of people who dislike the franchise as it currently stands. He doesn't even have to leave this thread to find them.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't talk down to me "boss."

Are you that dense? Halo is at an all-time low point. This thread proves it.

PEOPLE ARE ACTIVELY MAKING THEIR OWN HALO GAME BECAUSE THEY CANT GET IT THE WAY THEY WANT IT ON CONSOLE OR PC.

The "we" refers to everyone, besides you apparently, who stopped playing Halo and didnt enjoy the new expierences. Read this thread. Read the Halo general here. Read /r/halo, read anywhere Halo is discussed. There's a reason the game's population is low and if you don't see it "boss" maybe you need to take a step back and see why.

"C'mon son"

Redditers hate everything, even themselves, that's not an argument.

Most of the crap Halo 5 (rightfully) gets, is because of the campaign, the narrative is all over the place and the mission design is linear as hell. But multiplayer wise, Halo 5 is a fantastic game and like it or not is the most competitive Halo since 3.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
343i and MS cant really do anything with this franchise since Reach. Ignored PC players for too long. These modders did more service for the franchise than 343i ever did for fans.

Oct 25, 2017
343i and MS cant really do anything with this franchise since Reach. Ignored PC players for too long. These modders did more service for the franchise than 343i ever did for fans.
While the campaigns have definitely gone downhill, I'd argue that 5 is probably the best state that multiplayer has been in since 3, perhaps even surpassing it.

The series is definitely in good hands when it comes to MP, plus 343 have already stated that they plan to support the series further on PC.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
I know how the internet is, i was responding to a child who thinks "lmaoooo" and talking down to people is a constructive way to get a point across.

But you're saying the poster i responded to doesnt understand where to find a group of people who dislike the franchise as it currently stands. He doesn't even have to leave this thread to find them.

alphabet-2034741__340.png

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That Stinkles post really should be in the OP. Otherwise we get the same comments over and over.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, but it was bound to happen.

Anyways... Please give us an official Halo SDK already.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I`m supporting MS in this. I understand all these people bitching and moaning at MS and complaining 343 sucks anyway, but do you want everyone just going rampant with the Halo IP? No thank you.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
it's better than any MP Halo games 343 have put out. sad.

maybe if they didn't do horrible shit like only releasing parts of the Halo 5 custom games on PC people wouldn't need to back together a corpse of a cancelled F2P just to play decent modern Halo.

Lol nonsense .halo 5 is best Halo mp ever.

And MS did nothing wrong here. I would have done the same if I was incharge. Can't let anyone mess with your billion dollar IP.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daily dose of hyperbole, something we don't need.

- MCC (X enhanced along with a great Halo 2 anniversary addition)
- Halo 3 4K
- Halo 4 (superior SP to Reach)
- Halo 5 (loved and enjoyed by millions)

Last edited:

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
And I won't be giving 343 any money. You fuck up the franchise and expect this to go well?

Why not read and try to understand before making such nonsensical post?.

Online mod of a popular game without permission is wrong in every way. It's stealing and illegal .If this offends you then so be it. Nobody cares.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Daily dose of hyperbole, something I don't need.
People who are making such comments have not played Halo 5 or purposely ignoring the amazing post launch support that 343 offered for Halo 5. Everything for free every month they were offering and people saying that 343 did poor job supporting Halo ?Seriously? lol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who are making such comments have not played Halo 5 or purposely ignoring the amazing post launch support that 343 offered for Halo 5. Everything for free every month they were offering and people saying that 343 did poor job supporting Halo ?Seriously? lol

Seriously, Halo 5 is a high point for the series multiplayer, as a fan since day one, the mechanics are sublime. I play it more then any other FPS, feels so damn good.

Last edited:

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense from Microsofts perspective. From a players perspective though, no one gives a shit about Microsofts perspective, meaning that MS and 343 punch those who want to enjoy some classic Halo straight in the face by shutting this down.

Hell, trying to find a match in the MCC is difficult, finding one here is easy. The Halo community is so fractured by this point :-(
I agree that Halo 5 is a great game in multiplayer (lets not talk about singleplayer or battles against AI), but it does not stand out that much compared to other games on the market. It is Halo´s arena plus more modern movement options, which have a profound impact on the game.

I think some people are here just trolling and trying to bait actual fans of the series. I hope mods are keeping eye on such people .
Do not equalize "actual fans of the series" with "Halo 5 is great". Just don´t. Halo nowadays comes in many flavours, and there are "true" fans who like and dislike what 343 created.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BTW, we're not "shutting down the mod" or going after the Eldewrito crew - we're enacting action to remove the Halo Online code and packages from places it's being hosted. The distinction may seem like semantics to a lot of folks, and I don't blame them for assuming that, but to be clear, this is a legally necessary step to protect code, product, IP, trademarks and copyrights, and is not optional. We're a publicly traded company, and we have a fiduciary and legal responsibility to our shareholders, and further, if we don't take steps to protect it, then we actually run the legal risk of losing it - and there's code and content in there that is still very much in use.

As a company, we spend a lot of time, effort and resources to support, amplify and enable our community creators - we have a simple set of rules that are generous and fair, that as long as they are abided by, we're happy to help with and in some cases, promote.

Halo Online code and content is not within those rules.

I hope nobody on this site thinks anyone is happy about this - at one end of the spectrum, it's sad to see folks' hard work and effort be sunsetted, and on the other, all the people who do this stuff are human. Nobody takes joy in this kind of work or responsibility. It's simply a necessary part of being a publicly traded company in the US.

If anyone wishes to send death threats, please direct those and Scholarly Legal Opinions to @franklez.

I won't be responding to this thread, because effectively I've said everything I can say here, but my one ask - a favor - is that folks try to contextualize this within real world circumstances, and not apply intent or evil where none exists.
Thanks for this informative post Frankie.

The code wasn't meant to be available to everyone. It's use by people would open doors to competitors even using it on their own game releases(imagine some knock off iPhone halo game) and Microsoft would have a harder time dealing with it in a court of law at that point if they didn't pursue the ED team right now

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I have to give MS and 343 mad props about how they handled this. A takedown was inevitable, but they decided to go about it with common sense and decency. PR or not, this type of response is rather uncommon for a corporation.

Compared to how Nintendo handles fan games this is genuinely laudable.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I have to give MS and 343 mad props about how they handled this. A takedown was inevitable, but they decided to go about it with common sense and decency. PR or not, this type of response is rather uncommon for a corporation.

Compared to how Nintendo handles fan games this is genuinely laudable.

They are between a rock and a hard place really. I mean even if they like it they still cant allow it. As Stinkles said they are legally required to act on it. If they dont. They risk losing the IP themself.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe there are posters advocating for theft and piracy when it suits their needs. I didn't expect this behavior in ERA.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Don't know why people would consider this stealing outside of the assets being obtained through shady methods. The game is not going to be released at any point and it's not like 343 are going to be using any of those assets in new games as they sure as hell don't give much of a crap about the previous Halo artstyle.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people would consider this stealing outside of the assets being obtained through shady methods. The game is not going to be released at any point and it's not like 343 are going to be using any of those assets in new games as they sure as hell don't give much of a crap about the previous Halo artstyle.

Dude.

Also, the code that was stolen is being used in current Halo games. Seriously stop trying to justify this.

Last edited:

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
Other than the fact that they stole/pirated the game and are giving it away for free? One of the modders accessed Halo Wars 2 early and tried to use it as leverage by blackmailing Microsoft.
What a dumbass.

The people involved in the creation of the Halo Online modification have been here before. This is no one's first rodeo. Quoting from the ElDewrito website: "ElDewrito was created through the hard work of well known Halo fans, developers and modders like DEElekgolo, Gamecheat13, Lord Zedd and many others"

Gamecheat13 has received more cease and desists than anyone I have ever met - he was involved in thefts and leaks of Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2 content from PartnerNet. He also hung around the 'Xbox Underground' crew responsible for a lot of the nonsense that was happening at the start of the generation (https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-underground-videogame-hackers/). A genuinely bad person, time hasn't changed him in the slightest.

More recently, he used flaws in the Windows 10 Store to download a build of Halo Wars 2 that was intended for external testing partners, pull plot information out of the build and attempt to extort Microsoft with it. Later, he attempted to sell the build to the public at large. I can go on and on with increasingly recent examples of shithead behavior - he revealed the existence of a Steam/Win32 port of Halo Wars: DE, which he knew about definitely by legal means and not at all by playing around with the game's backend services.

Lord Zedd was involved in various questionably legal (not at all legal) Halo stuff. He acquired 360 developer hardware and used that hardware to screw around with Halo. Not exactly legal to seek out hardware for which you have no authorization to obtain, pirate a game and decrypt it so it runs on developer hardware, take said game onto PartnerNet and modify it. Also not a huge deal - no harm, no foul - but this is a way of saying that these people knew they would be flying close to the sun and flew anyway.

Considering how some of the people involved have been thorns in Microsoft's side for a long time, the way that Microsoft has treated this matter strikes me as generous, considerate even. An early build of a Russia only title that would later be cancelled was stolen; pulled from the companies web services. The build was not intended to be accessible by the outside world. Said build was an early development build. It contained a lot of Halo 3 content (the Russia only title was not a port of Halo 3). Immediately, the worst people start hacking on it. Years pass. The result is, of course, Halo 3 multiplayer, hacked together to mostly function.

The act is illegal in every way. It's not even a modification of a public build of the Russian title. There are assets ripped from Halo 3 360 included in ElDewrito - the maps used are from the early build of Halo Online but certain other assets were pulled by the modders from the Halo 3 360. There was no serious attempt to operate inside the confines of the law. These are people who routinely do illegal Xbox shit doing more illegal Xbox shit, just this time for an audience.

Thanks for this information. More people need to know these facts before they start saying nonsense like, "hire these people!"

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

They have stolen them and then redistributed them.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Dude.

Also, the code that was stolen is being used in current Halo games. Seriously stop trying to justify this.
I'm sure there's code in the originally leaked version of Halo Life 2 that has been used in newer Valve games too. If I reconstruct that leaked version of Half Life 2 and add extra stuff is that theft?

They have stolen them and then redistributed them.
And 343 and Microsoft have known about it for years and done nothing. Now that they say they're going to fix MCC and Eldewrito starts getting popular now they do something?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'll consider the official excuse presented here another point of evidence in my common argument that I'd much rather support a privately owned company than a publicly traded one:
the latter is forced to make shitty decisions, while the former at least has a choice about it.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure there's code in the originally leaked version of Halo Life 2 that has been used in newer Valve games too. If I reconstruct that leaked version of Half Life 2 and add extra stuff is that theft?

Yes.

Especially when you add stuff you have also stole from the finished, paid , currently on sale version of Half Life 2, then give that other stuff you stole to other people.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Yes.

Especially when you add stuff you have also stole from the finished, paid , currently on sale version of Half Life 2, then give that other stuff you stole to other people.
Funny since tons of people have done just that and you don't see Valve trying to stop them from updating that. Hell, you can download some of it from Valves very store.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

And 343 and Microsoft have known about it for years and done nothing. Now that they say they're going to fix MCC and Eldewrito starts getting popular now they do something?
Gabe has said personally he doesn't mind much about people sharing the HL2 Beta content & understands fans are just interested in it, but Valve is a private company, they kinda have the privilege to not care if someone is sharing around illegally obtained assets, Microsoft & their legion of share holders & executives is a different story.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
User banned (1 day): Linking to illegal content
Nice that the game's not really affected, it's just harder to get a hold of it now. Basically you need to find the old version of the game on a different site, then patch it with their patcher that they still offer on their site (so I guess that is in the clear in regards to assets/whatever included) to 0.6. For now the [MOD EDIT: Don't link to illegal copyrighted content] still works even if it's not linked on their site, so you can still use that if you don't want to bother with getting the old version and patching it.

I've deleted the game since it wasn't my thing from the little I've played of it, I had never played Halo multi player before though I had the PC CE, just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, it would actually, since no matter how much free shit you add to it, you are still working with content that was obtained through illegal methods. And to anybody here that's thinking "oh this means MCC on PC right guys?" No, it isn't coming to PC, if it was than we would have heard it already.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Funny since tons of people have done just that and you don't see Valve trying to stop them from updating that. Hell, you can download some of it from Valves very store.

in the case of Valve and Half Life 2 and the Source Engine SDK, it's actually part of valve's business model.
Hats.