• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

So Samus is using what looks like the Spazer Beam but it's going through the enemy and has a fire like effect to it. Possibly combined with the Plasma Beam (and the Plasma Beam was redesigned to look like the fire based Prime version?) or maybe a new beam.

EDIT: Second look at the trailer it looks like I was mistaken, Samus can just shoot very fast in this game, the blast beyond that enemy is one shot beforehand.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing through Hollow Knight and its crazy how much better that game looks compared to Dread.

The animations look really great however.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I already loved Samus Returns on 3DS and this seems to be a better more refined game with more fluid movement and intriguing new concepts.
Visual design is absolutely stellar as well. Love love love the angular style. Amazing silhouette design. Would love to see a layer breakdown of the backgrounds.
Extremely hyped for this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But the leviathan landed years before the Space Pirates brought metroids and was sealed before the Pirates ever got there. And Phaaze is covered in Metroid Prime exoskeletons.
Metroid Prime very explicitly isn't one of the Space Pirates' Metroids. As you said, it was there before the Space Pirates even arrived. It's still a Metroid.

The prophecies tell of the coming of the Worm. Born from parasites, nurtured in a poisoned womb, the Worm grows, devouring from within, until the world begins to rot. The words of the seers have come to pass, for there, in the depths of the world, the ravenous Worm lurks and feeds. From the stars it came, blighting Tallon with its Great Poison.

It seems like the issue you actually have is Metroids getting on Phaaze somehow. So, uh, pretend some random Chozo scientist from SR388 was transporting a sample and crash-landed there or something. It's not really important and it's not something the writers for the first Metroid Prime would have even been able to anticipate being an issue with the material they had. Look at the Fall of Zebes log for example.

(I guess you could argue the "Worm" is the Leviathan and not Metroid Prime itself, but it's pretty obvious that wasn't the original intent)

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god damnit, countering is back. That ruined the pacing of Samus Returns.

The search and find enemies look amazing though.
Looks like they fixed the problem by adding a dash attack that does the same thing. This game looks faster paced than any other Metroid.

Are people watching the Treehouse footage in the OP?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a high quality upload of the Treehouse gameplay? The one I saw earlier is super low quality.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I hate when she has white on her costume. The light suit in Echoes bothered me so much and I only saw that in cutscenes! haha

Game looks aces though.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I just chatted with BB, the rep seemed confident that more will come in but couldn't say when
They usually have several tiny restocks that will go up sporadically between the first listing and launch. In the past you could get lucky spamming the purchase link for a couple hours after the first batch sold out, but they redesigned how the purchase process worked recently and I don't think it works anymore.

Jan 10, 2018
This did not look that promising at all to me. Everything feels like it's in a very early state. I love my Switch to death but man, the tech just feels so outdated at this point.

Jan 11, 2018
That there is a "Metroid Team" is great news. Hopefully this portends stability I'm the franchise after a rocky last decade.

Well, I think it will come down to sales honestly. There is no longer lack of technology holding them back, which is why Dread now exists. And if Sakamoto talks about the end to this story arc, surely he must have further ideas for the next arc? And obviously Retro has ideas for the Prime series. Part of what made the drought so bad was that we were spoiled in the previous decade with:

Prime (2002)
Fusion (2002)
Echoes (2004)
Zero Mission (2005)
Corruption (2007)

Not to mention Hunters which plenty of people seemed to enjoy. Both 2D and 3D were in full force at the time. Replicating that in the 2020's would be a dream come true.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily dislike how it looks, but I definitely think it needs more color. Metroid are always colorful games and I think this one looks too grey and bland? Hopefully there will be more colorful environments that we haven't seen yet.

Otherwise, it looks amazing. Super excited.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know what to think: it is good that we are getting a new metroid but i wasn't particularly impressed by Metroid Returns, and this seems to be an evolution of that game (at least gameplay wise).

So yeah, it's going to be a wait and see for me.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm not understanding the full price questions. What part of this makes anyone even question if it will be full priced? Does the fact that it's a 2D throwback somehow make it less deserving of a normal retail price?

This isn't a remake this is a new game

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't like the 2d graphics of Nintendo games.

I was just thinking about this. The current metroidvania games coming out of smaller and indie devs have much better art directions and graphics. Recent metroid games look like they are prototype art or placeholder art. You can replace samus and no one will know the difference.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I got better outlook for this game compared to Samus Returns. Not being hamstrung by 3ds hardware and not being a remake of an already boring entry certainly helps.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's just a plot hole. The Metroid Prime Trilogy collector's edition art book - which I believe is the main "canon" now that the GCN Prime was retconned - explicitly calls Metroid Prime "a Metroid that has
mutated into a terrible creature after absorbing a great amount of Phazon energy from the Phazon Core". The husks on Phaaze could probably be handwaved away as saying that the Pirates brought Metroids to Phaaze before the events of Prime 3, and rapid mutation formed the exoskeleton husks near the core, but the Metroid Prime creature coming from Phaaze and impacting Tallon IV years ago just has to be a plot hole, can't think of a way around that one.
It's hard to call it a plot hole when the plot elements it conflicts with didn't even exist when the first game came out.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So is it going to be almost impossible to get the SE and amiibo? I fucking hate missing out because I wasn't on the internet for the two minutes it was available. :/

Also this looks great! Much better showing than the Zelda trailer which was almost nothing. Highly disappointing after 2 years of nothing.

Apr 9, 2019
Metroid's not really my thing because I'm too dumb for it (and/or don't enjoy being lost in a game), but this looks *snappy*, and the updated more modern sci-fi look with a tinge of horror suits the series very well. Happy for y'all!

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to call it a plot hole when the plot elements it conflicts with didn't even exist when the game came out.
They did, though. Metroid 2 establishes that the Metroids are native to SR388. Retro ignored that, and made it so that they can also come all the way from Phaaze. This plot point has always bothered me, tbh.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this looks so much better than Samus Returns. Not needing to stand and wait to parry I think was the change I wanted but didn't know how to verbalize.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They did, though. Metroid 2 establishes that the Metroids are native to SR388. Retro ignored that, and made it so that they can also come all the way from Phaaze.
This is a setting with interstellar travel, with the Metroids originating on a planet settled by one spacefaring civilization, being discovered by another, and then transported to Zebes by yet another.

So no, a Metroid coming on a meteor to Tallon IV was not a plot hole. We only got a time frame for the Metroid's creation in 2003.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Metroid Prime a spin off confirmed. Sakamoto says this is the first new story in the series in 19 years.
I mean, there's Other M too. Every Metroid to date since Fusion has been either a remake or is set between existing games in the timeline. This is the first Metroid since Fusion to actually move the overall story forward, that's all he's saying.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So yeah, this game looks really fun. 19 years between entries is nuts though. And Yoshio Sakamoto saying they scrapped Metroid 5 like twice before this and it's a case of third time lucky, damn. Dread though, I remember seeing that name for a new Metroid floating around when I was in college in GamesMaster magazine, good lord, so long ago lol.

Oct 25, 2017
They did, though. Metroid 2 establishes that the Metroids are native to SR388. Retro ignored that, and made it so that they can also come all the way from Phaaze. This plot point has always bothered me, tbh.
I think I always took the husks to be from "children" of Dark Samus we don't see, and the Leviathan crashing into a cave system on Tallon IV that had Metroid in it. Hence, Metroid Prime being born, and the husks being new lifeforms after Dark Samus' return. No contradictions.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm in a similar camp. I think it looks really good, some of these rooms look great even, but I guess I was expecting it to look... slightly better visually? Definitely doesn't look bad and I suspect it'll get more polish before it comes out (the games always look better than the E3 demos suggest anyway). Definitely was hoping for something a little more visually stunning though

The first area of Metroid games are usually the least visually interesting, so I'm hopeful that they can flex their artistic muscles with some of the later areas. Samus Returns was kind of drab visually, but they had to adhere to to Metroid 2 just being a bunch of underground caves. Obviously I'm not expecting Retro like brilliance that we'll get in Prime 4, but I'm hoping for some solid art direction that we've seen in their Castlevania games.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
So I've never played a Metroid game, is it worth playing through the Metroid game(s) on NSO before this comes out?
It's always worth it to play Super Metroid, no matter what.
Sadly Fusion and the really good remake oF Metroid 1: Metroid Zero Mission aren't on Switch.
Those 3 are all totally worth it to play.
SAmus Returns by the sames devs as this is also pretty good.
But Super Metroid should be your priority, as it'S the on you are already able to play.
And even if it'S Metroid 3, it's not a pretty good starting point, they story really isn't that deep before then.