Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
i don't quite understand. what features does integral have that the US version doesn't.
metalgear.fandom.com

Metal Gear Solid: Integral

Metal Gear Solid: Integral is an expanded version of the original Metal Gear Solid first released for the PlayStation in the NTSC-J region in 1999 and later released for Windows in other regions in 2000. It includes most of the changes and additions that were made in the NTSC-U/C version of the...

The main differences compared to the US release are:

• In addition to the four difficulty settings present in the NTSC-U/C and PAL versions of Metal Gear Solid (Easy, Normal, Hard and Extreme), a Very Easy setting has been added as well. In the Very Easy mode, Snake starts the mission off with a weapon, the MP5, already in his arsenal. The MP5 is functionally identical to the FAMAS but has unlimited ammunition and a silencer already equipped. The game is otherwise identical when played on Easy mode. Unlike the other difficulty settings, no ranking is given after the player completes the game.
  • The torture event against Revolver Ocelot is considerably easier on all difficulty settings. Whereas the number of rounds per successions increases in the NTSC-U/C on each difficulty setting (i.e. 3 rounds per session on Easy, 4 rounds on Normal, etc.), in Integral, they always last three rounds per sessions regardless of difficulty. This change was carried over to Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.
  • If the player has data from the original Metal Gear Solid or has already cleared the main game once, then an "alternate round" option will be available when starting a new game which alters the enemy placement and patrol patterns in each area. This will also change the camera angles of certain cutscenes (such as when Snake uses his binoculars to scout the Heliport).
  • During a third playthrough on the same save file, not only will Snake wear a tuxedo, but Meryl will be outfitted with her own version of the Sneaking Suit. This change was also carried over to The Twin Snakes.
  • Completing the main game once on any difficulty will unlock "1P View Mode" on the Special sub-menu. This mode is just like the main game when played on Normal, except the player can move and shoot while in first-person view mode. By pressing the triangle button twice, the player can switch between the standard overhead view and first-person mobility. However, certain portions of the game (such as the rappelling event and the jeep-riding sequence) will still be played from the standard viewpoint and the game will immediately switch back to third-person view when performing certain actions.
  • Two new Codec frequency numbers had been added. Calling frequency number 140.66 in certain locations (namely the canyon, the entrance of the Comms Tower, and the snowfield) will allow the player to listen to hidden music tracks. Calling 140.07 will display messages from various members of the game's development team. These staff commentaries are unvoiced and displayed in Japanese only.

Oct 28, 2017
metalgear.fandom.com

Metal Gear Solid: Integral

Metal Gear Solid: Integral is an expanded version of the original Metal Gear Solid first released for the PlayStation in the NTSC-J region in 1999 and later released for Windows in other regions in 2000. It includes most of the changes and additions that were made in the NTSC-U/C version of the...

The main differences compared to the US release are:

interesting. It's too bad they didn't just fix the original PC release

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
It isn't only an issue in cutscenes. It's also an issue anytime during gameplay when you want to return to the main menu to check out the bonus material, switch to VR Missions, etc.

It's only ten seconds, so it's not as bad as it could be, but it's still an annoyance that will hopefully get fixed.

Integral is probably the definitive version to play, at least from what I've read. It includes the content from the US version, has the VR Missions disc's content built-in, and also has additional changes and unlockables that weren't in the US PlayStation release. It also has the English voice cast.

The only downside is that (some of?) the text is in Japanese, but if you already know what all the equipment does and are able to hear the voice acting for cutscenes, then it's probably not too big of an issue. Hell, even if you don't know what certain items do or how to use them, you can just look them up.

I plan on trying Integral. I've never played the original MGS to completion before; I've only finished The Twin Snakes. But if the text ends up being too much of a hindrance, I'll just switch to the US version of MGS and VR Missions.
it's not 10 seconds during gameplay. It was 2 seconds.

Apr 19, 2018
I haven't re-watched the trailer for MGS1 since, well, the game's release back in '98, but yeah, I'm getting really amped to play through it again. Man, the sheer gameplay diversity on display here is pretty astonishing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7fhvnjo-Hs

Always did baffle me how they tucked away Tappy's Main Theme behind the end credits after needing to go through THREE playthroughs of the game. It isn't surprising that most believe that the theme was introduced only in MGS2.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't re-watched the trailer for MGS1 since, well, the game's release back in '98, but yeah, I'm getting really amped to play through it again. Man, the sheer gameplay diversity on display here is pretty astonishing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7fhvnjo-Hs

Always did baffle me how they tucked away Tappy's Main Theme behind the end credits after needing to go through THREE playthroughs of the game. It isn't surprising that most believe that the theme was introduced only in MGS2.

they chose to rip-off the theme from speed for MGS1 instead

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dying for some PS5 footage of MGS2 and MGS3, only MGS1 footage so far :(. It's gonna take a really bad port for me not to pick this collection up since those are my 2 favorite games of all time and have no other way to play them.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

019k8z.png

You can see here that it has an option for English (UK) and English (US).

This basically confirms that you get both the 60 Hz and 50 Hz versions. If you select English UK (or any of the European languages) you get the 50 Hz version. If you select English US or Japanese you'll get the 60 Hz version.

What I'm saying is, if you want to play this game in English, please, even if you live in the UK, don't select the UK version lol. Always choose the US version when you play this.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
019k8z.png

You can see here that it has an option for English (UK) and English (US).

This basically confirms that you get both the 60 Hz and 50 Hz versions. If you select English UK (or any of the European languages) you get the 50 Hz version. If you select English US or Japanese you'll get the 60 Hz version.

What I'm saying is, if you want to play this game in English, please, even if you live in the UK, don't select the UK version lol. Always choose the US version when you play this.

Yep, also confirms that the PAL versions of MGS and Special Missions appear to be on the disc with the NTSC versions of these and VR Missions and Integral requiring downloads from the PS Store - not sure if this was known previously.

Presumably a US disc will be the opposite with NTSC on disc and PAL as downloads.

Edit: for the European release

VersionOn DiscDownload
MGS PAL (5 versions)X
MGS NTSCX
Integral NTSC-J (English/Japanese)X
VR Missions NTSC-UX

Last edited:

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
Those menus look really clean! Also nice to know that the VR Missions from MGS1 are included, I never got to play them.
I was never the biggest fan of the gameplay in MGS1 because I started with MGS2 and felt like the controls in the original are too dated, but when I finally got around to playing VR Missions, it totally turned me around. I absolutely loved it.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Yep, also confirms that the PAL versions of MGS and Special Missions appear to be on the disc with the NTSC versions of these and VR Missions and Integral requiring downloads from the PS Store - not sure if this was known previously.

Presumably a US disc will be the opposite with NTSC on disc and PAL as downloads.

Edit:

Integral is Japanese NTSC
VR Missions is US NTSC
Special Missions is PAL

This is really confusing to me. If I want the best version of MGS1 (in US English) from this collection what do I have to do?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
This is really confusing to me. If I want the best version of MGS1 (in US English) from this collection what do I have to do?

You'll want either Metal Gear Solid US English and VR Missions, or Metal Gear Solid Integral (this is a Japanese release which includes both the original game and the VR Missions in one package, but included English text and voices still). I don't know if there are any additional differences which may swing it in favour of either...

Edit: the differences were listed in a post above: https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...vol-1-hands-on-previews.755398/post-113691863

If you're buying a European version disc for PS5 these versions are not on the disc and you have to download them from the PS Store via the game menu. It's likely if you buy a US disc you'll get the US English versions already on disc, but that's to be confirmed.

Last edited:

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some of the previews are fairly positive. Definitely want to (and can't wait to) see the digital foundry video about it though.

Mar 28, 2023
I was never the biggest fan of the gameplay in MGS1 because I started with MGS2 and felt like the controls in the original are too dated, but when I finally got around to playing VR Missions, it totally turned me around. I absolutely loved it.
I also don't really like the controls or gameplay of MSG1 that much, (even though it was the first MGS game that I played). Hopefully my opinion changes like yours has once I play them!

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Looking forward to this, but man, I wish Twin Snakes got some representation somewhere in there as well.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If I understand correctly it is confirmed that 2 and 3 xbox versions (Series S/X bc) are still better than the ones in this collection?

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Switch version leaked btw so expect impressions shortly

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this, but man, I wish Twin Snakes got some representation somewhere in there as well.
Hopefully in the next collection.

If I understand correctly it is confirmed that 2 and 3 xbox versions (Series S/X bc) are still better than the ones in this collection?
I don't see why that would be the case? MGS2 and MGS3 on Xbox in this collection should be, at minimum, on par with the 360 version running via backwards compatibility in terms of framerate, resolution, and content. Plus the games in this collection have bonus content that wasn't in the HD Collection. And from what I remember people saying, it seems that some of the missing graphical effects in MGS2 have been restored in this, after being omitted in the HD Collection version.

Technically MGS3 in this collection is missing Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, but only because those two have been spun out into their own separate app. It's still included by buying the collection, though if you buy the games standalone, they're included with MGS1 now rather than MGS3. But other than that, I don't see why the 360 version via BC would be better than this.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hopefully in the next collection.

I don't see why that would be the case? MGS2 and MGS3 on Xbox in this collection should be, at minimum, on par with the 360 version running via backwards compatibility in terms of framerate, resolution, and content. Plus the games in this collection have bonus content that wasn't in the HD Collection.

Technically MGS3 in this collection is missing Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, but only because those two have been spun out into their own separate app. It's still included by buying the collection, though if you buy the games standalone, they're included with MGS1 now rather than MGS3. But other than that, I don't see why the 360 version via BC would be better than this.

They are the exact same versions from the HD Collection, so they shouldn't be inferior.
I was more talking about performance and image quality. Do they perform the same? I'm asking cause I already have those and want to know if I should just buy MGS1

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
Watching some of the footage out there I really love how slick the package for this (menus, extras etc.) looks outside of the games themselves.

Really looks like a lot of care and attention poured into that aspect, hopefully the performance on the games themselves does it justice.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
Watching some of the footage out there I really love how slick the package for this (menus, extras etc.) looks outside of the games themselves.

Really looks like a lot of care and attention poured into that aspect, hopefully the performance on the games themselves does it justice.
Yeah, the extras seem really special.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I was more talking about performance and image quality. Do they perform the same? I'm asking cause I already have those and want to know if I should just buy MGS1
Performance seems likes it's going to be the same, yeah. I recall people saying that some graphical effects missing / broken in the HD Collection version of MGS2 have seemingly been restored in the Master Collection version, but otherwise, it and MGS3 in the MC seem to perform the same as they do if you play the BC 360 versions, in terms of framerate and resolution.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. But considering how this has Snake's Revenge in it, I imagine Twin Snakes isn't impossible.
Snake's Revenge can run on a calculator, they can just slap a rom on it and call it a day; Twin Snakes is a GC game that's never been ported before, they'd have to invest a significant amount of money to port it to modern platforms and considering what little they did to the included games and how much of a turd it is, it's probably not in their priorities.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Performance seems likes it's going to be the same, yeah. I recall people saying that some graphical effects missing / broken in the HD Collection version of MGS2 have seemingly been restored in the Master Collection version, but otherwise, it and MGS3 in the MC seem to perform the same as they do if you play the BC 360 versions, in terms of framerate and resolution.
Thanks
I might get this collection for the bonus content then

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
arent 2 and 3 running at 1080p instead of 720p through BC?

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a translation available for this? Or Can you tell me what the trophies are please? Jm
Dying to know.

Copied from Reddit, so I can't speak to how accurate it is:

Start a new game
Defeat Revolver Ocelot
Defeat the M1 Tank
Defeat Gray Fox
Defeat Psycho Mantis
Defeat Sniper Wolf
Defeat the Hind D
Defeat Sniper Wolf 2nd Boss
Defeat Vulcan Raven
Defeat Metal Gear Rex
Defeat Liquid Snake
Complete a VR Mission
Read all of the story summary
Obtain Stealth Camo
Obtain the Bandana
Obtain Big Boss rank
Complete all VR missions
Capture a ghost photo

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen enough to be pretty ok with paying up day 1 for this on PS5. Would be a different story if on Switch.

It seems the best official modern way to play the games on console, wrapped up in a host of nice menus and bonus content.

Could Konami have made these ports 'sing' with filter options / 4k etc? Sure. But they seemingly haven't fucked them up with new graphical issues.

For a Konami port I'll take it but the bar is low I grant you

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
According to a thread on PSNProfiles forums the trophy is "Obtain Big Boss or Fox rank". Difference being Fox can be achieved on Hard difficulty (with <25 kills, 0 continues, game time under 3 hours, <5 alerts, no more than 1 ration consumed and no radar) while BB rank must be done on Extreme. Probably not that hard from memory since the cap on saves is very generous (80) - but note you get 3 mandatory alerts.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
"Highest possible variable frame rate achievable"

Man, if a mod comes out that puts MGS at 60fps, Konami gonna be looking duuuuuuumb.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
"Highest possible variable frame rate achievable"

Man, if a mod comes out that puts MGS at 60fps, Konami gonna be looking duuuuuuumb.
If nobody's gotten it to run at 60FPS on any existing PlayStation emulators, then they ain't going to get it to run at 60FPS on Konami's PlayStation emulator.