sw26

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a translation available for this? Or Can you tell me what the trophies are please? Jm
Dying to know.

One I was referring to with my previous post is the Big Boss rank, given these are the requirements:

• Beat the game on Extreme difficulty.
  • Beat the game in under three hours.
  • Use 0 continues.
  • Kill 25 or fewer enemies.
  • Trigger four or fewer alerts.
  • Use no more than one ration.
  • Save less than 80 times.
I can already tell this one is going to suck ha, some of the bosses are no joke.

According to a thread on PSNProfiles forums the trophy is "Obtain Big Boss or Fox rank". Difference being Fox can be achieved on Hard difficulty (with <25 kills, 0 continues, game time under 3 hours, <5 alerts, no more than 1 ration consumed and no radar) while BB rank must be done on Extreme. Probably not that hard from memory since the cap on saves is very generous (80) - but note you get 3 mandatory alerts.

Actually nevermind, this is marginally more achievable but still not a walk in the park.

Apr 19, 2018
They didn't cut the main theme from these right?

The current ongoing stream confirms that MGS2's rendition of the Main Theme is present during the opening, so it's pretty much guaranteed that it'll be present in MGS3 as well. (And very most likely during the end credits of MGS1 too.)

Heads would roll if they excluded it from MGS3's Debriefing sequence.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
They did at least swap the controller button icons, as I just saw the PS5 touchpad icon in the codec text even though the Colonel says "select button."

EDIT: Also on-screen alert says "push touchpad."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
The current ongoing stream confirms that MGS2's rendition of the Main Theme is present during the opening, so it's pretty much guaranteed that it'll be present in MGS3 as well. (And very most likely during the end credits of MGS1 too.)

If there's one side benefit of the games barely being touched, it's that the music will be intact.

Sep 23, 2018
One I was referring to with my previous post is the Big Boss rank, given these are the requirements:

• Use 0 continues.
I can already tell this one is going to suck ha, some of the bosses are no joke.

Actually nevermind, this is marginally more achievable but still not a walk in the park.

Thanks for the info everybody. There is not a hope in hell of me doing that extreme one. Possibly the hard. No doubt the special items aren't allowed :P

Jaguar King

Oct 25, 2017

• Use 0 continues.

I would like to mention, You can get Fox Rank quite easily if you play the Original Japanese version of the game, which is included in the Master Collection. Since that version has only 1 difficulty and its based on EASY difficulty. by following the requirements you will get Fox Rank.

However to get Big Boss rank in the Japanese version you need to disable the Radar and you can't disable unless you have a completed save file. so you need to beat the game once before you attempt to get the rank.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Snake's Revenge can run on a calculator, they can just slap a rom on it and call it a day; Twin Snakes is a GC game that's never been ported before, they'd have to invest a significant amount of money to port it to modern platforms and considering what little they did to the included games and how much of a turd it is, it's probably not in their priorities.
And that ties back into the 3 rumored volumes for this collection, with the third one being the games that need all the work, like MGS4.

Jun 20, 2021
Just realised getting the bandana will be a fucking nightmare. In the PS1 days I literally had to buy a turbo controller for £20.

Charade

Oct 25, 2017

Oh thank god. It's something I really missed from post-MGS3 games

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
They did at least swap the controller button icons, as I just saw the PS5 touchpad icon in the codec text even though the Colonel says "select button."

EDIT: Also on-screen alert says "push touchpad."
Damn, I wanted the Colonel to say "push the button with two boxes shifted on top of each other"

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
To me the perfect line up would be:

-Vol.2: Peace Walker, 4: Guns of the Patriots and V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain. And as extra games maybe Ghost Babel.

-Vol.3: Portable Ops, Rising and Survive. As extra games Portable Ops +, Acid and Acid 2.

That way they would leave the more spin off games for the last volume, after all the mainlines are out. And maybe V doesn't have much sense considering it's already available on PC, PS and Xbox, but it would just add value to a collection in which the main attractive would be 4. And also I would really love to have V on Switch/Switch 2, it's on Xbox 360 after all.

Twin Snakes is the wild card here. Maybe they will put it instead of Survive, but I don't know if they will bother on remastering the game, as Survive is ready and wouldn't need any extra work.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gameplay of MGS2. I'll note the front end of the M9's laser sight is still missing and the sea lice are invisible during the Fortune cutscene. I thought the M9 laser bug was supposedly fixed?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna start out by playing Metal Gear which I've never played before. And then do VR Missions sessions inbetween playthroughs maybe. Are the two MSX Metal Gear games hard to get through without a guide?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Watch this emulator somehow be better than ePSXe lol
Who the hell is still using ePSXe in 2023? People should've hopped off of that by 2013 anyway.

I think I'm gonna start out by playing Metal Gear which I've never played before. And then do VR Missions sessions inbetween playthroughs maybe. Are the two MSX Metal Gear games hard to get through without a guide?
MG1 might be a bit cumbersome toward the middle since zones get a little samey, but MG2 is fairly modern even though it's all sprites. You're not going to get lost.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm crossing my fingers that this collection turns out good. Would be nice if they were in 4K, but they do seem to be mostly putting in a good effort here.

I'm not sure where the rumored 3 volumes comes from but if that's the case I'd like to see the following.

Vol. 2
Portable Ops
MGS4
Peace Walker
Bonuses - Ghost Babel & MGS4 Database

Vol. 3
MGS5 Ground Zeroes & Phantom Pain
Rising
Survive
Bonuses - Acid 1 & 2

I think that would just leave out Twin Snakes which probably isn't worth the trouble. I guess tack that on to Vol. 2 if possible.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Is there a confirmation about Konami cutting some content like historical footage or is everything here?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If people are serious in terms of 'Les Ports Terribles' as OT title, whilst a joke and play on words I'd put forward that's sounding quite hyperbolic based on the now quite substantial amount of footage out there.

Is the Switch version being 30fps disappointing? Yes. Is the lack of 4k disappointing? Yes.

But otherwise they seem pretty decent representations of the originals, with bonus content and menus that seem lovely.

Ive dunked on Konami plenty and still detest what they did with Silent Hill HD Collection, but running around with a front and center title implying these are 'terrible ports' seems flat out misrepresentation.

*No fun allowed meme* I know, I know

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
The ports are straight up decent at worst and very competent at best. The OT title is just way too good though, would be a shame to use anything else even if it's a lie.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think MGS4 is a given, despite the technical hurdles. Folk should be less concerned about it happening, and more concerned as to...the quality.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt they'd be doing the 'Volume 1' and 'Volume 2' thing if they weren't planning on porting MGS4. It's a mainline, numbered game, in a series where you'll be able to play MGS1, 2, 3 and 5 on modern systems after Vol. 1 releases. It's the obvious choice for inclusion.

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for expecting MGS4. It'd be wild if they didn't do it given that they reference it throughout the extra digital books in Volume 1 as a key part of the series from what I've seen.

Obviously if this collection absolutely bombs then maybe we don't even see a Volume 2 but on the assumption Volume 1 will sell steadily to well it's an open goal for them.

Would fully expect it to be similar to the port job we are seeing here with the bare minimum to get the game on modern platforms but I'd just be happy with it being freed from PS3 prison.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd wager 4 gets ported but that it's the only title in Volume 2 due to the work involved

Volume 1: MGS 1- 3
Volume 2: MGS 4
Volume 3: Repackage GZ/TPP with some nice menus and work out the rights to Twin Snakes / the Gameboy and PSP games

I could live with this

I mean....with MGS4 just porting across previous work isn't an option, and just dumping the ISO into an easy emulator ala MGS1 isn't really an option, so you'd hope with it we'd get nearer a locked frame rate and modern resolution options

Last edited:

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Is there a confirmation about Konami cutting some content like historical footage or is everything here?

In regards to the historical footage, they have said they had to replace a total of six scenes, because the original footage simply wasn't available any more, as the companies they were originally licensed from are no longer around. Those scenes have been replaced with new, similar footage.

Other than that, doesn't seem like anything has been cut compared to the past HD version.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't believe 4 can be ported. The ps3 and it's crazy spaghetti programming code can barely be emulated on top tier PCs.

Also no Twin Snakes unless it's a Nintendo platform exclusive. Nintendo rightly protects their first party gems.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe 4 can be ported. The ps3 and it's crazy spaghetti programming code can barely be emulated on top tier PCs.

Also no Twin Snakes unless it's a Nintendo platform exclusive. Nintendo rightly protects their first party gems.

I dunno, I think the 'crazy MGS4 code' thing is overstated. Like, has anyone from Konami/KojiPro ever come out and commented on it? I feel like it's just one of those things that's become internet folklore.

It just seems that if games like say, Uncharted 3, which really used every trick in the book to run on the PS3, can be ported (and seemingly easily enough that they could port all three Uncharted games, release them as a single product at a budget price, and still make it cost-effective), then I don't see what makes MGS4 any different. As a recent example, people have said the 'spaghetti code' thing about Red Dead Redemption for years, only for Rockstar to drop it on the Switch/PS4 with very little fanfare.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

It would take work to get on consoles but with the right mid - good PC setup and patches applied with RPCS3 you can get fairly decent MGS4 results in the last year or so (4k 60fps is realistic for the higher end)

They said RDR was a mess code wise and that's recently been revived. Anythings possible, it just depends on how incentivised Konami are to get the right people behind the work.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think MGS4 is a given, despite the technical hurdles. Folk should be less concerned about it happening, and more concerned as to...the quality.
That's where I'm at. It's going to happen, but whether or not it'll be up to people's standards is another question entirely. As long as it runs well enough, though, I'll be content. Just need MGS4 to stop being a reason to keep my PS3 at the ready.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine Volume 2's lineup will look something like this:
  • MGS4
  • MGS: Portable Ops (including Portable Ops Plus)
  • MGS: Peace Walker
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Metal Gear Acid
  • Metal Gear Acid 2
  • Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (bonus for buying the complete collection)
I know there was that IGN report where they said they heard it's going to include MGS5, but... I just can't see that happening. If MGS4 and Rising are going to be included, then it's already going to be a very big collection in terms of install size just from those two games alone, and The Phantom Pain would only make it even bigger. Plus, MGS5 can already be played on every modern platform except for Switch, so selling the same game to people again would probably be a hard sell. At least Rising has the excuse of not being available at 60 FPS on consoles (on top of it not being available on PlayStation or Switch).

But obviously I could be wrong and they do actually include MGS5 in Volume 2. In which case, I guess it'd probably look more like:
  • MGS4
  • MGS: Portable Ops (including Portable Ops Plus)
  • MGS: Peace Walker
  • MGS5 (Ground Zeroes + The Phantom Pain)
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if MGS5 is just the Definitive Experience bundle that's already available, with a new port of it for Switch.

as long as it has MGS4 and Ghost Babel, they can include whatever else they want imo lol

I dunno, I think the 'crazy MGS4 code' thing is overstated. Like, has anyone from Konami/KojiPro ever come out and commented on it? I feel like it's just one of those things that's become internet folklore.

It just seems that if games like say, Uncharted 3, which really used every trick in the book to run on the PS3, can be ported, then I don't see what makes MGS4 any different. As a recent example, people have said the 'spaghetti code' thing about Red Dead Redemption for years, only for Rockstar to drop it on the Switch/PS4 with very little fanfare.
We already know that they had a build or demo of it running on 360 at one point in time, so yeah, I definitely don't think it's as impossible as many seem to believe. The reason the game didn't come to Xbox was because of how big it was, not because it was impossible to port on a technical level. Konami just wasn't willing to do a multi-disc release for the game.

www.videogameschronicle.com

PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4 was once ‘running beautifully’ on Xbox 360 | VGC

The game’s assistant producer says the number of discs was an issue…

As long as they still have the source code, it should be possible.

Last edited:

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm will I try Big Boss rank on MGS1? I've only ever done it for 4 because it didn't have a save limit.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It would take work to get on consoles but with the right mid - good PC setup and patches applied with RPCS3 you can get fairly decent MGS4 results in the last year or so (4k 60fps is realistic for the higher end)

They said RDR was a mess code wise and that's recently been revived. Anythings possible, it just depends on how incentivised Konami are to get the right people behind the work.

It just depends on what Konami is willing to spend as well. This collection doesn't seem like a lot of engineering work, the bluepoint HD ports were well done and pretty and already ran on a managable xbox360 code. MGS1 seems to be in a neat PSX emulation container whose internal resolution doesn't go over 240i. Engineering anything PS3 bases is going to take a lot of manpower and resources. There have been plenty of gen 7 remasters and ports, but basically none are sony games beyond GoW3, Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, and tLoU.

Peace Walker is ready to go though from the same round of remasters. I'm guessing the next one is Peace Walker, Portable Ops, Ac!d 1 and 2, and Ghost Babel. Vol 3 is the Ground Zeros, Phantom Pain, and Survive!.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they re-release MGS4 as-in, no Delta shenanigans or what.
I mean it is what it is, for better or worse, and deserves to be playable on something else than a PS3.

The game was made with a 60 fps cap too, I imagine it'd look stunning in motion on current-gen systems...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

You have to realize the different between porting and emulation. Emulation is making a system run another system's code without changing the source material. Porting involves taking the original source code and updating it to work on a new system.

Emulation is VERY CPU intensive, having to re-interpret calls on the fly constantly. A port wouldn't need to do that. It takes a lot of time to update the underlying engine, but it won't be as bottlenecked as emulation would be.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
The narrative about PS3 being impossible to port needs to stop. For sure it is not an easy task, but we got plenty of PS3 ports already, both for PC and PS4. Just think about the whole Uncharted trilogy for PS4, those are Ps3 ports. The Last of Us got a PS4 port too, but there are more, like El Shaddai. Even the Playstation references in the game are not a problem anymore, in a world in which we got The Last of Us and Horizon on PC and where MLB The Show released on XBox Series with the Playstation intro.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
You have to realize the different between porting and emulation. Emulation is making a system run another system's code without changing the source material. Porting involves taking the original source code and updating it to work on a new system.

Emulation is VERY CPU intensive, having to re-interpret calls on the fly constantly. A port wouldn't need to do that. It takes a lot of time to update the underlying engine, but it won't be as bottlenecked as emulation would be.

Yeah you bring up a very true point, but in this case, with the PS3, I think it can be assumed that working console's bizarre and nonsensical code to harvest anything transferrable to current consoles may not be as far off from emulating it all anyway.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you bring up a very true point, but in this case, with the PS3, I think it can be assumed that working console's bizarre and nonsensical code to harvest anything transferrable to current consoles may not be as far off from emulating it all anyway.

The state of PS3 emulation is pretty incredible when you consider it's been entirely reverse engineered and implemented by people in their spare time. Here's MGS2 running via emulation at a higher resolution than what the native port in this collection will be running at.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
The state of PS3 emulation is pretty incredible when you consider it's been entirely reverse engineered and implemented by people in their spare time. Here's MGS2 running via emulation at a higher resolution than what the native port in this collection will be running at.

If Sony wanted to make a PS3 emulator they could have. It's sad how many games are stuck on PS3 with Sony refusing to re release so so many games like KIllzone, Resistance etc.