benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist

www.metacritic.com

Metacritic Users Pick the Best of 2020

Over 2,800 Metacritic users have submitted their favorite albums, movies, games, and TV shows of 2020. Here's what they picked.

It wasn't even close: PS4 exclusive The Last of Us Part II was the favorite 2020 game of Metacritic users by a landslide. We don't compile game critic top 10 lists, but TLOS2 was the #2-ranked game of 2020 by Metascore. Our highest-scoring game of the year, Persona 5 Royal, placed just 13th with our users. And, yes, you'll notice that Cyberpunk 2077 managed to rank third in our user voting. We'll assume that all of those votes were for the PC edition.

1. The Last of Us Part II - 10,194
2. Ghost of Tsushima - 2,079
3. Cyberpunk 2077 - 1,691
4. Hades - 1,510
5. Doom Eternal - 1,062
6. Final Fantasy VII Remake - 1,044
7. Demon's Souls - 818
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 701
9. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 694
10. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 615
11. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 596
12. Half-Life Alyx - 584
13. Persona 5 Royal - 487
14. Resident Evil 3 - 463
15. Nioh 2 - 354

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
lol cyberpunk at #3. Somebody shake me and wake me up. I'm in the timeline where that game wasn't released as an unmitigated disaster!

(that said, Ori made a top 10 so I'll take it)

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked by that tbh.

TLOU2 is indeed the best game of the year, but I figured The Gamers would have had a hate campaign against it.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
What's the methodology here? Was it just some Internet poll that could be gamed, or did they send a survey to people individually, or what?

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
It also has a 5.7 user score there. So maybe user voting in general is completely useless whether its for goty or user scores especially when people just use this stuff for whatever agenda they are pushing.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

TLOU2 is indeed the best game of the year, but I figured The Gamers would have had a hate campaign against it.
Yeah, I'm kinda blown away to see this. Last I heard the game was review bombed to hell, so weird to see it now take first place by so much. Guess the ragers have moved on.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that settles was was already settled 50 times last year.

Prople think The Last of Us Part II is great.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Haters love to use the users score as a "proof" the game is bad, take that now 10K to 2K for the nearest competition lol
Cyberpunk still get 3rd over Hades yikes

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
Am curious as to how they got around review bombing
I think it was more likely bombed the other way. TLOU2 has more votes than the #1 2020 movie, the #1 2020 TV show, the #1 2020 music, the #2 2020 game, the #1 2019 game COMBINED with lots of room to spare. It's actually quite comical how many more votes it has than entire top 10 lists from both this and past years' user votes.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I see. I dunno, results seem way too out of whack -- not that TLOU2 shouldn't win, but the margin is too big. Feels like the result of some sort of campaign.

I can't think of a corner of the internet where that would get momentum without a counter-campaign doing the same.

It probably has more to do with the relative sales popularity of the game. 5x Ghost of Tsushima and a divisive Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't strike me as odd.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Haters love to use the users score as a "proof" the game is bad, take that now 10K to 2K for the nearest competition lol
Cyberpunk still get 3rd over Hades yikes

Now they will argue that user scores are not trustworthy and that only journalists opinions matter. And the cycle begins again.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Thing is about cyberpunk
Even if you ignore the bad performance(consoles) glitches and bugs on all systems

It's still a very shallow game that lacks even the basic features that games from 2000 have (GTA vice city)
From lack of AI, terrible ai response, police system, shallow Rpg, most conversations are "yes I'll do it or I don't want to but will do it", empty and lifeless open world (not interactive such as sitting and eating) lacking minimum open world acitivies, shops just a menu, lack of customisation from car to buying homes and so much more...

It really does not deserve to be on the list.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe trolls wrote "Not Last of Us 2" after putting their #1 choice, probably the funniest back fire XD
2077 above Hades is just appalling.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The people chose well, not that the result is a surprise considering

Gamespot

The Last of Us 2 continues reeling in the wins! Naughty Dog's sequel amassed over 200 Game of the Year awards in 2020.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
DAYUM that's enough votes to bridge the poverty gap! Seriously, a margin of 8000+ is intense.

You know, Ellie, we really are the game of the year.

I tried on a 3080 and it ain't. The only difference between PC and console is the better performance and lack of crashes. Just because it runs better doesn't really fix the core issues of the game.

Gameplay's alright. Its music, atmosphere, and narrative style, however, beat out every open world game that came out in 2020*. They're that good. It is simultaneously CDPR's greatest lie/trainwreck, and their best game yet.

*Every one except for Ghost.

Ghost is very good.

Last edited:

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It's probably has more to do with the relative sales popularity of the game. 5x Ghost of Tsushima and a divisive Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't strike me as odd.

It's the difference between TLOU2 and Tsushima that's weirding me out -- from what I've experienced, their fanbases online are about equal, with there perhaps even being a few more Tsushima boosters. There definitely isn't 5x more TLOU2 fans out there. Then again, I'm not that familiar with the Metacritic audience. Maybe it's just a hotbed of TLOU2 love. Shrug!

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Part II has the highest number of Positive and Negative scores on Metacritic (reviews too,like 10x the second), now has the highest points in reader's choice, the hate wagon needs actual numbers to work on it ( cof cof TGA reader's) , when is in blind they just can't.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Personally was disappointed with the game but happy that so many enjoyed it!

Thing is about cyberpunk
Even if you ignore the bad performance(consoles) glitches and bugs on all systems

It's still a very shallow game that lacks even the basic features that games from 2000 have (GTA vice city)
From lack of AI, terrible ai response, police system, shallow Rpg, most conversations are "yes I'll do it or I don't want to but will do it", empty and lifeless open world (not interactive such as sitting and eating) lacking minimum open world acitivies, shops just a menu, lack of customisation from car to buying homes and so much more...

It really does not deserve to be on the list.

Eh, if it was a critic list i may agree with you. But this is just a popularly poll and if enough people enjoy it despite its faults it gets on the list.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It was like a PS5 game before the PS5 was released. That early linear part where you are on a horse with Dina going through foliage - absurd how good that looks. Rest of the game wasn't a slouch either. I'd put it as GOTY too. Should probably load it up on my PS5 and LG CX - don't think I have yet.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

I think people just really dislike Neil over the game itself. TLOU2 was pretty much going to win the the TGA's Player's Voice, but the second Neil said something on Twitter that rubbed off the haters, then they started flooding the votes. Given the fact that MC vote was lowkey and barely anyone mentioned it, I'm pretty sure they just didnt care about voting or the game winning, they just want a chance to "own Neil" for ruining their beloved Joel.

EDIT: wrong quote sorry.