• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere I can go to keep track of sales on common projects? I'm not dead set on the all whites but I am dead set on getting the classic model (non-retro).

r/frugalmalefashion is pretty good about posting them. Check FarFetch and END frequently as well for both the men's and women's lines (they both run the exact same EU sizing, width and all).

What's got you opposed to the retros? I know they used to have thinner outsoles, but the past several seasons have had regular-thickness Margoms.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
r/frugalmalefashion is pretty good about posting them. Check FarFetch and END frequently as well for both the men's and women's lines (they both run the exact same EU sizing, width and all).

What's got you opposed to the retros? I know they used to have thinner outsoles, but the past several seasons have had regular-thickness Margoms.

Maybe I'm crazy but in pictures it seems like the retros have a more bulbous toebox compared to the original model. The sleek toebox is half the reason I like common projects so much, so I'm not about to drop a bunch of money on something that isn't really what I want.

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm crazy but in pictures it seems like the retros have a more bulbous toebox compared to the original model. The sleek toebox is half the reason I like common projects so much, so I'm not about to drop a bunch of money on something that isn't really what I want.

I've seen both in person. Last is identical.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
thanks for the heads up, but my "expensive shoes" money is currently reserved for a pair of these:

CommonProjects_Achilles_Low_White_Stacked_1024x1024.jpg

Ive seen those for about £8 in Asda and Shoe zone

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone recommended those big ugly ass Timberland construction worker boots yet?

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So my not so expensive Dr Martens (asian ones ^^°..but i still liked them?) have the leather split just above the welt after 2 years of wearing them every day. Meaning the leather itself is broken right above the sole. I guess there's nothing a shoemaker can do about that, right? My feet are huge but not in the sense that they're long. More like Donald Duck-broad. Every shoe I ever owned broke at the exact same location mich earlier. These boots held up pretty well.

Anyway, I'm getting some Solovairs (oxblood <3) for christmas. Santa told me! I hope I can somehow save my old Martens.

Oh and everyone who had problems breaking boots like these in: use oil or wonder balm or any of that stuff. It actually helps a lot. Mine were fine after a week or two.

Plasmid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Living in the south in the winter I have a pair of LL Bean duck boots. They're wonderful if you can get thick socks.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I picked up a pair of Captains from Thursday Boots at the start of winter and really like them. I liked that these seemed to have a slimmer profile compared to the Iron Rangers and 1000 Miles that usually get recommended. They look great and I've gotten a couple compliments already

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I need to find black boots for a leather/(possibly) rubber outfit. The shinier the better.

I'm going to swap out the laces for red ones. Something like this I think:

YIqEMut.png

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pup, actually!

I'm picking up the versatile pieces before trying to figure out what material I'll want to wear at meetups.

I'm leaning towards leather but I like the look of rubber. I haven't tried it on yet sadly.

Leather boots looks good with any latex outfits IMO . You're limited to Hunters or something insanely expensive for rubber , so yeah , leather is your best bet .

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love my Red Wing iron rangers. I live close enough to drive to Red Wing. Always nice to go to the factory sales.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought a pair of Caterpillar Cohesion Ice winter boots and I was impressed just how waterproof they were. And damn comfy.

266706_P723753_PROD_1_BROWN

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Caterpillar does good quality stuff. My winter boot ones are closing in on 20 years old now. They have cracks in the soles but still work fine as long as you don't literally stand in water. Thinking about buying a new pair, haven't decided which yet though.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Blundstones. Slip resistant, steeltoe and super comfy. I wear them in the kitchen and theyre the best ive ever had. Better than danskos and look as cool as docs

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I discovered Bates combat boots a while ago and I can't recommend them enough (if you're okay with that style, ofc).
Deltas 8 are amazing, but the cheaper (and less flashy) Enforcers are still great. Durable, comfortable and surprisingly light. Plus, y'know, it's a combat boot, so things like grip are given.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I remember you posting about aldens over at the old place, too lol.

I am up to 3 pairs of Indys now, along wth a pair of the Alden x JCrew roughed out chukkas and a pair of reverse chamois captoes that is a makeup by Alden for a local menswear chain.

Reverse chamois indys!

46564633525_beb3533ba1_c.jpg

haha hey man, good to see you here.

those look incredible 😍

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Chelsea boots for me (I wear RMs, black). The only thing with black boots, unlike brown is that you need to take better care of them. Aged brown boots look good, black not so much.

6oaV7PQ.jpg

[edit] how did nikes make their way into a thread about nice boots smh

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Does anyone have experience with Nicks or Red Wing boots? Talking about 1 year+ , maybe Builder Pro or Iron Rangers? I'd never buy these unless the price equals durability. They are so beautiful, though. ;_;

The concept of re-soling boots is a bit alien to me.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Does anyone have experience with Nicks or Red Wing boots? Talking about 1 year+ , maybe Builder Pro or Iron Rangers? I'd never buy these unless the price equals durability. They are so beautiful, though. ;_;

The concept of re-soling boots is a bit alien to me.
I have a pair of Iron Rangers that have worn soles after 1.5 years. However I used them how they were meant to: hiking, trekking, urban exploration, for miles and miles throughout my travels through Germany and Costa Rica, plus daily usage in NYC. It's $100 to resole. Nothing happened to the body itself except dirt and grime. Absolutely amazing pair.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If you afford it, get yourself a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers.

wear, resole them, keep wearing them. Incredible works of art. Best boot you will ever own.

Ox Blood, Rough and Tough, or Black. Trust me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I have red wings but they're more for doing work outside, extreme cold, shit conditions. They're a pain to wear indoors and weigh a ton. There comfortable but if I have to walk a couple miles in them my dogs are barking

They make more casual boots too. All of their boots are amazing nearly all are waterproof, most are insulated down to like -10 degrees or something stupid, some have steel toes etc. Really love mine even tho I only wear them like 10 days a year.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
I love Corcoran model 985 boots.

Mens-Corcoran-Black-10-Zipper-Boot-with-Lug-_57.jpg

The side zipper makes them easy to get on and off. They're solidly built and durable without feeling too heavy or clunky to wear. They have a classic, timeless style.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I need to find black boots for a leather/(possibly) rubber outfit. The shinier the better.

I'm going to swap out the laces for red ones. Something like this I think:

YIqEMut.png

Best not wear these with red laces, unless your leather/rubber outfit is going for Nazi-chic on purpose:

"Wearing such boots was and is typical of racist and non-racist skinheads alike, but racist skinheads commonly use red- or white-colored shoelaces in their boots to identify themselves as white power skinheads. It is also traditional for them to lace boots with "ladder lacing," so that the laces don't cross each other going up the boot.

Within a few racist skinhead circles, white or red laces have to be "earned" by some violent act such as attacking a perceived enemy of the white race. However, most racist skinheads wear red or white shoelaces not because they have committed an act of violence but simply because it is part of their subculture."

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
33146_89645_PROD_1_BLACK

These are really comfortable.

I bought a pair of these for work, best purchase I made in footwear. The previous pair of boots I had was just killing my feet by the end of the day. These Timberland were fucking amazingly comfortable. I immediately went and got me a second pair for everyday wear.

I wanted to get a pair of Red Wings this year, but I missed the Saturday sale they had going Black Friday weekend. Oh well.