• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Seeing some posts, I think it speaks a lot if your only post in this topic it's to defend a rotten community. Really no words about of whats going on at all?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What kind of timeline do we live in?! At what point did we enter this strange parallel universe? I want back to the original one.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
This is the culmination of a years long community wide campaign of griefing and harassment against one, albeit controversial, Smash player that has always been handwaved because Leffen used to engage in unsportsmanlike behaviour. It's been going on for a long time, it's a community wide issue, not just one bad apple. And now we have a player that needs to employ a minder everywhere they go for their own safety.

And while we're at it, please stop saying Hax had a mental break. You don't know him or anything about him.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Do people in this thread realize that they way they're dismissing this (someone having a serious mental break) as "oh yeah I always knew the smash community was a toxic cesspool" is exactly how people outside of this board talk about resetera?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna +1 it being honestly kinda shitty just how much of the conversation in this thread has been on using this as an example of why the Smash community doesn't get official Nintendo support. It just comes off like a really fucked-up misplacing of priorities and/or mistreatment of these scenarios in trying to lump them all together.

With shit like everything with Zero and Zack and the Sky house there were webs between pros and events that could be used as an indictment of at least the community's pro scene. With this we're really talking about the actions and behavior of a single man. A prominent individual in the community, sure, but ultimately one man, his one-sided toxic obsession with another, and that combined with radicalization culminating in this literal manifesto.

Maybe we can save dunking on the smelly Smash kids for another day and right now just focus on making sure Hax isn't a literal threat to Leffen or anyone else.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Smash is a great fun charming game, how is it that a part of the community is always on the spotlight regarding some of the most aberrant shit in videogames landscape? It is obvious that there are only sone bad apples, but those specific apples make a shit ton of noise, more than any other community.

I'm not aware at all with this particular case, but 136 pages manigest and 2.5 hours video is some sociopath shit over there, I would be really concerned too, tbh.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing some posts, I think it speaks a lot if your only post in this topic it's to defend a rotten community. Really no words about of whats going on at all?
I'm far from a fan of the competitive scene. There's a lot about that I've disliked for years, well before all of the gross stuff was exposed last year.

But there's a difference between discussing the legitimate issues with the scene, and using this thread, which is highlighting a specific individual's mental health episode, to ride in with thoughtless drive-bys.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Fortnite and FIFA both have had their fair share of issues but both are heavily regulated by the games' publishers which strongly discourages bad behavior and has stronger punishment for whatever happens. Fortnite is 100% online only, which greatly reduces the possibility for abuse, and FIFA is very heavily tilted towards online play and community building. There is no singular Minecraft community, there are many small communities around Minecraft but no all encompassing, competitive one. Most of the Minecraft communities that do exist are either completely online or moderated in part by Microsoft with the understanding that interest in the game skews younger than gaming at large which has resulted in them taking steps to ensure player safety. That is not the case with Nintendo who uses community members for an occasional marketing bit but nothing more. You also have the confirmation bias issue where fewer people on a site like this are heavily invested into those games so less about them will be posted here.

Smash is unfortunately a community which has every single disadvantage for the fostering of toxicity you could imagine. It overwhelmingly takes place in person, entirely at grassroots events that barely scrape by financially with no centralized authority for creating or enforcing rules, it is generally younger than most which means that many players tend to be more vulnerable to abuse (or in some circumstances more likely to commit it), and so many people within the community rely on it for their income, whether it's through tournament winnings, stream subscriptions, merch sales, etc. and thus place particularly high importance on continuing to be able to play it. Yet despite all of that things are slowly but steadily improving as awareness of these problems is becoming more widespread and people are being more motivated to ensure it's as safe for everyone as possible. Making harsh generalizations based on limited, anecdotal data helps no one and only makes it harder for the people trying to make things better.
Well put.

Capcom is really the only company that supports their own scene, though.

They can because their games basically built the old scene and the ProTour was an extension of this. And this only happened this generation with SFV.
I feel like there's some irony here because there does need to be a central authority (I thought that the Smash World Tour would partially accomplish this, but then COVID happened) and Nintendo's involvement would be the most obvious and direct way to accomplish that using Capcom as a model, but instead a lot of the responses are saying Nintendo should just wash their hands clean are the exact opposite of that.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash is a great fun charming game, how is it that a part of the community is always on the spotlight regarding some of the most aberrant shit in videogames landscape?

I'm now aware at all with this particular case, but 136 pages manigest and 2.5 hours video is some sociopath shit over there, I would be really concerned too, tbh.
I think it stems from the community being young in comparison to others AND compared to todays eSports landscape, a professional structure that would shut down such BS early on. You just don't have this on this scale in any other sports, because there are people that would stop this or you would get fired.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no value in fighting toxicity with another form of toxicity. If your only takeaway is "this community is rotten" you aren't helping the thousands of people in it who are trying to make things better, the thousands of people who are struggling because so many others don't care about how much adversity they face. Those kinds of comments are just handwaving the abuse that happens because it happens to those dirty smashers who don't shower, not taking a stand to help those in the community who need it or expressing solidarity with them.

Drive-bys accomplish nothing

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Some personal hygiene isn't enough anymore to have some normal Smash competition I see. First it was just a bottle of deoderant, now people need to bring their own security to tournaments holy shit? Wtf is wrong with people?

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

This clip alone shows the levels of reach and delusion this guy has

Yeah, that's a very classic sign of paranoid behavior right there, for him to insinuate Leffen wearing a very common shirt is somehow an attack on him. I legit hope someone close to him urges him to take care of his mental health and/or possibly get checked out, because the legenths and obsessive detailing he's showing regarding Leffen is a very worrying sign, and I don't blame Leffen in the slightest for being concerned about his safety.

And for all the people with the "This is why Nintendo shouldn't support Smash" takes... seriously? smh

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
"Man why doesn't Nintendo support the Smash scene?!"
A dude is worried about his safety and you're gonna post a drive-by about Nintendo? Come on. If there were a governing body like Nintendo in charge, maybe shit like this wouldn't happen because players doing this would be banned?

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
Is Hax the same dude who campaigned against the smashbox and then released their own version after getting it banned?

edit: lol he is. Dude has always been shady and scummy from my point of view.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
it's funny because that statement you just made is eerily similar to one Hax makes in the actual video.

Well, as i said i don't understand anything.
I will delete my comment, i should keep my mouth shut on matters like this.
Sorry...

...had just some weekend read on here and made a comment without knowledge...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's some irony here because there does need to be a central authority (I thought that the Smash World Tour would partially accomplish this, but then COVID happened) and Nintendo's involvement would be the most obvious and direct way to accomplish that using Capcom as a model, but instead a lot of the responses are saying Nintendo should just wash their hands clean are the exact opposite of that.
The drive-bys joking about Nintendo being right to ignore the scene are trash, but I don't believe any organizational body would have prevented this specific incident from occurring, which is purely the result of an individual's mental health.

A lot of the takes in this thread are giving me vibes of past threads where people were dunking on Etika while he was in his downward spiral.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I would make sure this dude is banned from any events before going if I was Leffen. And also maybe ask Regi for some bodyguards, they can easily afford it now

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand any of the drivebys here. How do you take a thread about someone who is plainly exhibiting a number of mental health problems as a cudgel against a community of people who just want to play games together. Especially the comments from people actively admitting they know nothing about the scene then casually condemning them all in the process.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Really sad that this site in particular has learned nothing about making really dumb shitposts and drivebys in regards to what appears to be someone going through very bad mental problems

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're an asshole if you're making a dude's public mental breakdown into a yuckfest about the Smash scene.

Really sad that this site in particular has learned nothing about making really dumb shitposts and drivebys in regards to what appears to be someone going through very bad mental problems

It's okay if we do it, obviously. We're good people and therefore our actions are always good.

Oct 25, 2017
well back in my day we just played the games, we didnt form any scene or community. just friends playing together. even in the later years playing online all day (Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike etc) it wasnt thought of as a "scene". scenes were for music like hardcore punk or hiphop.
I don't know, I went to LAN parties for UT, there were international tournaments, IRC channels, forums etc. Even more so for CS. I don't really see the difference.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of the smash community is trash but this shit is next level. Like this video crosses from toxic community into "this is a really concerning thing that needs to be addressed for people's safety"

Like Jesus that is fucked.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Is this what its like to have someone absolutely obsessed with taking you down. Like in their mind you're like their final boss. Jesus christ, he needs help before he does something stupid

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus christ. Supposed to be just a bunch of kids and folks playing smash bros and having fun. This is an awful fucking community of people.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Leffen's fear is completely justified. Hax sounds seriously delusional.

The thing about the Smash community is that there is no The Smash Community. In the sense that it's so ubiquitous that every single video game event I've gone to has had people playing Smash. It's too patchwork and disparate to self regulate compared to something like Street Fighter and Nintendo wouldn't touch it with someone else's 10 foot long pole. The long and short is that there's no real way to even guarantee that Hax won't be able to attend the same events as Leffen, which is a real problem for his personal safety.

Oct 27, 2017
Is anybody in the scene reaching and trying to talk to the hax person? The more time goes by the more I think somebody needs to seriously talk to them as they need help.

This isn't something a healthy person would do.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I went to LAN parties for UT, there were international tournaments, IRC channels, forums etc. Even more so for CS. I don't really see the difference.
There is none. The person you're quoting is just being willfully ignorant. Back in CS days communities formed around servers. You got to know and be friends and have a "community" among server groups/owners and would wage battle against other servers. That's just online, if you were genuinely lucky you'd have people or a group to LAN with.

BK0X

Oct 28, 2017
Quoting Hitler? Comparing Leffen to Trump? Building an AI bot off of Leffen's personality??
And I'm just 30 minutes in....
I.... am speechless....

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hax is fucking insane. Get this dude some help, jesus.
Yeah someone should call his parents, a friend or someone neutral, because how he made this public could aggravate his mental health, if he starts to realise how wrong he is but it's now written all around the world. Someone should be there to let him land quietly and recover before getting back to reality, or something bad could happen. Without help he's guaranteed to either plunge into a deeper madness or depression.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The problem with a person like hax$, seems like he's so deep in this shyt that you can tell him to get help and he'd either believe he doesn't need it, or flat out refuses to get it. You need family and very close friends damn near dragging him to get help.

This is bad

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well back in my day we just played the games, we didnt form any scene or community. just friends playing together. even in the later years playing online all day (Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike etc) it wasnt thought of as a "scene". scenes were for music like hardcore punk or hiphop.
I can promise you your local arcade back in the day had a scene. Fighting game tournaments are just that on a global scale. I don't see what's hard to grasp about fighting games developing a community.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
hooooooooooo boy. the adidas fixation ALONE tells you all you need to know about this 'hax$' character...

Jan 10, 2018
I'm half-way in now and this has to be the most ironic thing I've ever watched. He's basically making an analysis of himself, through and through. The part where he talks about projection is probably the best one because he's just making an example of himself, and with zero self-reflection to boot.

I've watched a couple of vids of Leffen and he seems like a tool. But what did he ever do to this Hax guy in order for him to write an esse, in nasty detail, about how much he hates him?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The idea that this manifested out of no where because of one guys mental health issues and was in no way enabled from the long standing Reddit/twitch/twitter/real life toxicity surrounding the competitive smashers stretches disbelief.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The drive-bys joking about Nintendo being right to ignore the scene are trash, but I don't believe any organizational body would have prevented this specific incident from occurring, which is purely the result of an individual's mental health.

A lot of the takes in this thread are giving me vibes of past threads where people were dunking on Etika while he was in his downward spiral.
Absolutely. I think the organization aspect comes in with regards to how to respond to something like this and having a unified ban list that applies across several tournaments would be the best way to ensure the safety of attendants.

Status
Not open for further replies.