• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
ZXA rom in european regions are the eu version or the american one? Heard that it has no dubbed dialogue so it can be less annoying to play.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I'm starting to have hope again about Capcom fixing the bad input lag on previous collections (espcially on Switch). You know, because we eventually had FF VII fixed on PS4 so many years after so you can never say never, but I know I shouldn't be expecting anything.

At least I didn't find the input lag that bad from what I've played so far so I can see myself playing through all the games again this way, but still...
It's annoying to know that it could be much better with a simple patch.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need someone to actually measure the input lag before I buy. I want this shit bad. But, I threw my fucking money away buying the X collection on Switch cause I find it unplayable. And I am not one to usually notice input lag.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Okay... Not being able to change buttons in Z-chaser mode makes it totally unplayable for me, what a shame :(

Didn't really check before release, but i was affraid the second screen would be annoying but you can turn it off with the press of a button and set up trasnparancy too so your screen can steel be in the middle and not pushed to the left or right! So that's great!

i wish there was a way to start hard mode directly in ZX though​

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The Reploid Remixes and the new music they made for Z Chaser and the menus is all top notch. 10/10. Can't wait to hear the new version of Departure play when I get to Zero 2.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Did people who bought the game digitally ahead of time get the new music tracks? I honestly forgot they were even a thing being offered?

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Did people who bought the game digitally ahead of time get the new music tracks? I honestly forgot they were even a thing being offered?

Yup, loaded up my digital Xbox copy this morning and the Reploid Remix tracks were all sitting in the music player as an extra album.

If you go into options, there's a section called "Special BGM" which allows you to toggle inserting the remixes into each game individually.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I need someone to actually measure the input lag before I buy. I want this shit bad. But, I threw my fucking money away buying the X collection on Switch cause I find it unplayable. And I am not one to usually notice input lag.
I played it on PS4 (slim) on a gaming monitor and noticed no lag at all. it seemed very responsive. hell i played the game better than i ever did in my life after years of not touching it.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just sitting here at work waiting for impressions. Definitely not coming down with anything to get out early and play. Nope not me.

The reviews got me super hyped and MAN I want to play...

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I think...

I think I'm going to play Megaman Zero 1-4 with the Switch SNES controller...

yeah I like that idea.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing zero for a bit a long time ago. And I was struggling quite a bit. Are these games way harder than the NES Megaman games?

Only if you want them to be hard.

The games are designed in a way that you can choose to upgrade your character or not, and if you do, it quickly becomes a cakewalk. In order to get the best grade in the missions you have to play with no upgrade though, and like that it's a really hard game, harder than the NES games, probably.

I like the sense of progression and the exploration to find the upgrades, so I play with them and it's much easier than even MegaMan X.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to tempt me with exclusive pre-order music? Tsk tsk, Capcpom, I played MMX Collection. I'll wait for the analysis.

An education in box art...

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest thing about this collection is that Zero 2 onwards don't have those awful logos that Capcom Europe decided to rebrand all Mega Man games with around that time. The box arts were even worse (though it looks like they at least improved as time went on).

For the unaware, here's Zero 2:

67524-mega-man-zero-2-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg
Mmzero2box.jpg
617HMGRAAKL._AC_SX342_.jpg

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Would the story make zero sense (hur hur) if I skipped 1 and went right into 2? I'd like to get play through them all but sounds like the original is maybe not the best so I'd rather start with something good.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The greatest thing about this collection is that Zero 2 onwards don't have those awful logos that Capcom Europe decided to rebrand all Mega Man games with around that time. The box arts were even worse (though it looks like they at least improved as time went on).

Mmzero2box.jpg
Jesus Christ. With or without that logo, that cover is still kind of awful.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I forgot to look this morning before going to work, is there a way to look at the collection credits from the main menu? If so, do they list who did the work on emulation?

Last edited:

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Would the story make zero sense (hur hur) if I skipped 1 and went right into 2? I'd like to get play through them all but sounds like the original is maybe not the best so I'd rather start with something good.

Zero 1 is good, just not excellent like the other 3 Zero games.

This collection actually fixes one of the biggest flaws of Zero 1: the super punishing retry chip/lives system. Just turn on Save-Assist before you start.

I highly suggest not skipping any of these games.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Mmzero2box.jpg
Woooow, what were they thinking with that, lol

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017

Mmzero2box.jpg
I will never not be in love with Japan's landscape boxes for GBA games.

Also 😂 at that PAL box.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Mmzero2box.jpg
Wow, from art to clipart

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

Mmzero2box.jpg
Wow that's a giant downgrade. The heck were they thinking?

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile

Mmzero2box.jpg
Ummm...I put my game in Spanish, and guess what logos greeted me once I went back to the main menu?

Oct 27, 2017
How is the scaling on Switch in both docked/handheld modes? I prefer to play older sprite-based games with integer scaling, but all too often on Switch those games will be accurate in one mode but will have uneven pixels in another. Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle was guilty of this.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I played Z1 on the Switch handheld mode and it looked pretty nice. Probably need to turn off that smoothing though.

Also, please please save yourselves some trouble and just play with the Save Assist unless you're gunning for max rank. The Zero games are quite draconian with its death system (you fuck up once, fuck you it's game over) and the save assist is a good QoL feature because it keeps the game moving fast. You will get bodied by some bosses and it's a lot better to be able to jump right back in there for a new attempt rather than being booted to the very beginning of the level after one life.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Mmzero2box.jpg
I really, really hate those awful starburst covers we got around the time of the GBA games. The BN series had the same rubbish as well, so did X7 (somehow making it look even worse...)
The Japanese box arts as per usual look wonderful.

OrionsNebula

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that in Canada this game isn't available ANY WHERE on switch on launch day??? Like all retailers are sold out before the game even comes out. What the heck.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Why is it that in Canada this game isn't available ANY WHERE on switch on launch day??? Like all retailers are sold out before the game even comes out. What the heck.

I would imagine an incredibly low print run. Capcom probably thought this would sell a significant amount less than Classic and X.

It's ironic cause I pre-ordered Zero/ZX the second it was announced, and I skipped out on buying physical copies of Classic and X cause both collections were not all on the respective cartridge.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Can't wait to be able to play ZX and Advent with a proper controller. ZX in particular wrecked the shoulder buttons on my DS Lite.

Good too, since Zero 3 and ZX have some of the best bosses (if not the best) in the franchise, IMO

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, for new players, the weapon grinding crap is only present in Z1 and Z2, and you really should not bother with the boomerang and the rod unless you want to. But do grind that saber ASAP.
Also, please please save yourselves some trouble and just play with the Save Assist unless you're gunning for max rank. The Zero games are quite draconian with its death system (you fuck up once, fuck you it's game over) and the save assist is a good QoL feature because it keeps the game moving fast. You will get bodied by some bosses and it's a lot better to be able to jump right back in there for a new attempt rather than being booted to the very beginning of the level after one life.
That's not completely true for the sequels fyi, but yea
Can't wait to be able to play ZX and Advent with a proper controller. ZX in particular wrecked the shoulder buttons on my DS Lite.

Good too, since Zero 3 and ZX have some of the best bosses (if not the best) in the franchise, IMO
The best 2D bosses period. Inti was ahead of everybody.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How's the input lag for this collection? The reports about the MMX collection made me stay away

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
How's the input lag for this collection? The reports about the MMX collection made me stay away

So far, I have not seen a single negative report. Everyone is saying it's flawless or near flawless. No scientific testing yet that I've seen, but I played the intro to Zero this morning and it felt perfect to my senses.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
First impressions - just got my physical Switch copy earlier today. Beat the first Golem in MMZ1 and got to the base.

- Looks good with no smoothing
- The "CRT" filter is kinda garbo. You get scanlines, which are fine, but it also adds a noise filter to the whole image that makes it look like you're playing a shitty VHS. I'm usually pro-scanline filter, even if they're not great, but the noise filter makes it a dealbreaker for me.
- Handheld mode has no appreciable input lag that I can appreciate. I'm not a huge Mega Man Classic/X person but I got A-ranks in MMZ2-4 and it feels great.
- Menus and extras seem cool. You just press a button to toggle between EN/JP versions of individual games.
- I ranted about this earlier, but YOU CAN'T BIND ZL/ZR. WHAT THE HELL. Apparently this was the case in previous Legacy Collections, and it's still an issue here. It's awful.

If Capcom allowed you to bind ZL/ZR and disable the noise filter on the CRT filter, I'd call this a nigh-perfect collection.

How is the scaling on Switch in both docked/handheld modes? I prefer to play older sprite-based games with integer scaling, but all too often on Switch those games will be accurate in one mode but will have uneven pixels in another. Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle was guilty of this.

There's a pixel perfect mode that I think is 1:1 with the GBA, a (presumably) 2x integer scaling that takes up 80% of the screen, and a fill mode that still respects the original aspect ratio. And a stretched 16:9 mode for heathens. I'm trying out the fill mode and haven't noticed any egregious issues, e.g. the health bar still looks even on both fill and 2x.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- I ranted about this earlier, but YOU CAN'T BIND ZL/ZR. WHAT THE HELL. Apparently this was the case in previous Legacy Collections, and it's still an issue here. It's awful.

I tried to do this right away and was incredibly disappointed. Playing the game with L/R just hurts my hands, so I guess I won't be playing this much portable.

Ah well, seems like a great collection otherwise. Hopefully the control stuff can be patched.