• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
They certainly can hold grudges(atleast a single individual can and that single individual can represent the entire company) yamauchi is famous for basically saying fuck square when they lost them to Sony and had a broken relationship for a while after that which caused square to support the wanderswan for their portable business

It wasn't due to Square leaving for Sony. In fact, Yamauchi wish Square the best. It was when Square's CEO convinced Enix to leave Nintendo so that Square and Enix could have a super RPG platform for the Playstation.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
I expect Octopath sales to surprise very pleasantly. Ever since its prominent placement in the launch presentation, the game has been closely associated with the Switch's identity. I think there is a small but significant group anxiously waiting for the game since the original reveal.

I am a little out of touch with the current state of the market, so I won't try to peg down any numbers, but > 150K wouldn't surprise me.

Speaking of being out of touch, I got a new job earlier this year and have not been able to participate much since. (Lucky you, I know.) I do keep an eye on the sales threads occasionally, and I want to thank Chris, Silph, hiska-kun, Vinnk and everyone else who contributes great info, analysis, observations, and discussion to the threads. It appreciate having this resource here to refer to when I feel the urge.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom probably wouldn't revert those changes back because:
- If they make a Switch MH game, they would still want it to preform as good in the west, and they largely attribute that to those changes
- There's no real backlash to those changes either oversea or in Japan that would make Capcom go "we need to revet those to gain that 1 million lost sales back"
- Even in an imaginary scenario where that backlash exists, and is the cause of the lost 1m sales in Japan, Capcom will still take the increased sales those changes brought in the west over the lost Japanese sales, even for a Switch game

There is evidence form Tsutaya MD observations, and Capcom's own surveys, showing that MHW sold to two main groups in Japan

1) MH fanatics who will play every MH
2) PS only gamers who last MH game was on the PSP.

Given the low rates of multiple TV ownership in Japan, we can easily surmise that kids and young adult casual MH fans are not catered to by MHW.

A NSW MH can reactivate this audience, and if the game is good enough (big IF), the MH fanatics will follow. This will allow it to hit what MH4 achieved at best (∼4.0 million). The western and WW potential of such a game is probably lower, but it would be a disaster if it doesn't hit MH4 rates of 1 million, 2 million is a the highest it can go probably.

It's viable (6 million sales WW) but I don't think Capcom will do MH anymore on NIN platforms.

1) Tsujimoto Elder wants all Capcom SW sales to be majority (80%) from foreign markets. The split above is not favorable to his stated strategy. He has stated this on national televsion.

2) Tsujimoto Jr attributes the success heavily to the shift to high specs platforms which allowed MHW to be MHW. Both Tsujimotos have said that HH is the reason MH was "held back" on the record. Even if we take NSW as a home console and Not a HH, it is still a low spec machine that doesn't fit with Tsujimoto Jr's own view of why MHW is successful. He has been saying the same thing in every interview in any national newspaper/magazine.

3) Capcom internal developmemt resources are probably stretched thin as they have ongoing content creation for MHW, and two large scale AAA games coming. I cannot see anyone team actively workIng on MH NSW in this time. The lack of developers has been a problem for Capcom for at least 3 years.

4) MHXX will fail in the West. This will give Capcom the perfect "out" from making another MH for Nintendo platforms ever again. It will be BS of course, and Nintendo knows, but this is an easy way to deflect shareholder queries.

5) The Sony marketing push was tremendous and it is highly likely the game is associated with the PS brand now, especially in emerging markets like China. Capcom doesn't want to risk audience division that is built up at Sony's expense.

6) MH is now a premium Capcom brand that is going to be a premium product, much like how Resident Evil is. You can easily get how Capcom will treat NIN systems just by how Resident Evil played out the last two gens. MH isn't like Megaman or AA games that Capcom shits out to make quick bucks.

7) MHW still has its G version and significant post launch content lined up. They have indicated they planned to support the title for a year, but nothing indicates they will not pull a SE and start charging for content expansions beyond that one year.

The fact is that Capcom is trying to position itself as a maker of AAA console games that are primarilu export-driven, and exported to growing markets overseas. Instead of selling to the dead console home market and the mobile home market which it is not competitive in, this is the corporate strategy the Tsujomotos sold to investors.

As such NSW MH is anathema to what the Tsujimotos envision their companies' future to be, this is why I doubt any high effort Capcom game (MH or not) will come to NSW

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
In the end the funny thing with MHXX on Switch is that despite Capcom handling it will have easily outsold MHW on XB1.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
There is evidence form Tsutaya MD observations, and Capcoms own surveys, showing that MHW sold to two main groups

Given the lack of multiple TV ownership in Japan, we can easily surmise that kids and young adult casual MH fans are not catered to by MHW.

A NSW MH can reactivate this audience, and if the game is good enough (big IF), the MH fanatics will follow. This will allow it to hit what MH4 achieved at best (∼4.0 million). The western and WW potential of such a game is probably lower, but it would be a disaster if it doesn't hit MH4 rates of 1 million.

It's viable but I don't think Capcom will do MH anymore on NIN platforms.

1) Tsujimoto Elder wants all Capcom SW sales to be majority (80%) from foreign markets. The split above is not favorable go his strategy. He has stated this on national televsion.

2) Tsujimoto Jr attributes the success heavily to the shift to high specs platforms which allowed MHW to be MHW. Both Tsujimotos have said that HH is the reason MH was "held back" on the record. Even if we take NSW as a home console and Not a HH, it is still a low spec machine that doesn't fit with Tsujimoto Jr's own view of why MHW is successful. He has been saying the same thing in every interview in any national newspaper/magazine.

3) Capcom internal developmemt resources are probably stretched thin as they have ongoing content creation for MHW, and two large scale AAA games coming. I cannot see anyone team actively workIng on MH NSW in this time. The lack of developers has been a problem for Capcom for at least 3 years.

4) MHXX will fail in the West. This will give Capcom the perfect "out" from making another MH for Nintendo platforms ever again. It will be BS of course, and Nintendo knows, but this is an easy way to deflect shareholder queries.

5) The Sony marketing push was tremendous and it is highly likely the game is associated with the PS brand now, especially in emerging markets like China. Capcom doesn't want to risk audience division that is built up at Sony's expense.

The fact is that Capcom is trying to position itself as a maker of AAA console games that are primarilu export-driven, and exported to growing markets overseas. Instead of selling to the dead console home market and the mobile home market which it is not competitive in, this is the corporate strategy the Tsujomotos sold go investors.

As such NSW MH is anathema to what the Tsujimotos envision their companies' future to be, this is why I doubt any high effort Capcom game (MH or not) will come to NSW
I'm not arguing that they would or wouldn't make a Switch MH though, just that if they do, they have no reason to revert changes the series received with MHW.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why anyone would bother. Could literally any XBO game at retail in Japan justify the costs with such an all-time low install base? It's still sub 100k LTD. A game would have to be a huge hit on XBO in Japan to do anywhere near well enough.

Also don't most Japanese stores have barely any space reserved for stock anyway?
Only big stores in Japan carry XB1 anymore and whoever Japanese publishers develop for it have abandoned retail too.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I expect Octopath sales to surprise very pleasantly. Ever since its prominent placement in the launch presentation, the game has been closely associated with the Switch's identity. I think there is a small but significant group anxiously waiting for the game since the original reveal.

I am a little out of touch with the current state of the market, so I won't try to peg down any numbers, but > 150K wouldn't surprise me.

Speaking of being out of touch, I got a new job earlier this year and have not been able to participate much since. (Lucky you, I know.) I do keep an eye on the sales threads occasionally, and I want to thank Chris, Silph, hiska-kun, Vinnk and everyone else who contributes great info, analysis, observations, and discussion to the threads. It appreciate having this resource here to refer to when I feel the urge.
Glad to have you ^^

I think you're right about Octopath how people associate the game with the Switch's identity. A lot of people here consider it the Bravely Default of the Switch, especially since the project was created by the same team. I assume you mean 150k lifetime, which I think is a no brainer. A lot of people here, me included, expect a FW above 100k (I personally think about 120k FW). The game will be very interesting to follow.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo promotion is missing for UG, digital only release for Europe, it won't make it to 1m.
It does have a physical release in Europe. I agree with you that it won't reach 1M tho. Unlike MH3U and MH4U, the vanilla version of MHXX did get a western handheld release. Then there's also the overlap between PS4 and NSW players, who probably have bought MHW and aren't waiting for MHGU at all. I think this game might add 300k or so in the west, but I doubt it'll get to 1M worldwide.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
MHUG won't have problem to ship half million at west but I don't see it going much further from there. Capcom has killed whatever potential it could have.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
Glad to have you ^^

I think you're right about Octopath how people associate the game with the Switch's identity. A lot of people here consider it the Bravely Default of the Switch, especially since the project was created by the same team. I assume you mean 150k lifetime, which I think is a no brainer. A lot of people here, me included, expect a FW above 100k (I personally think about 120k FW). The game will be very interesting to follow.

I was actually talking about a 150K first week, but I don't have the info needed to make a decent prediction. I just won't be surprised by a really great launch.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS would have sold better with different hardware, names and initial marketing. Those were its biggest flaws, not the lack of AAA 3rd party games.

It sold 24m in Japan and only 72m WW, it clearly was unappealing outside on its home market.

This can be stated for most of the consoles on the market in some market-Xbox One sales outside of the US & UK, Vita & Wii U sales in globally, PS4 sales in Japan. If selling 48 million outside of Japan is unappealing, then video games in total unappealing.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This can be stated for most of the consoles on the market in some market-Xbox One sales outside of the US & UK, Vita & Wii U sales in globally, PS4 sales in Japan. If selling 48 million outside of Japan is unappealing, then video games in total unappealing.

Xbox One outside of the US is unappealing.
Vita and WiiU were walking dead.
PS4 in Japan is unappealing.

I don't see anything wrong with this 3 sentences.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There is evidence form Tsutaya MD observations, and Capcom's own surveys, showing that MHW sold to two main groups in Japan

Given the low rates of multiple TV ownership in Japan, we can easily surmise that kids and young adult casual MH fans are not catered to by MHW.

A NSW MH can reactivate this audience, and if the game is good enough (big IF), the MH fanatics will follow. This will allow it to hit what MH4 achieved at best (∼4.0 million). The western and WW potential of such a game is probably lower, but it would be a disaster if it doesn't hit MH4 rates of 1 million, 2 million is a the highest it can go probably.

It's viable (6 million sales WW) but I don't think Capcom will do MH anymore on NIN platforms.

1) Tsujimoto Elder wants all Capcom SW sales to be majority (80%) from foreign markets. The split above is not favorable to his stated strategy. He has stated this on national televsion.

6) MH is now a premium Capcom brand that is going to be a premium product, much like how Resident Evil is. You can easily get how Capcom will treat NIN systems just by how Resident Evil played out the last two gens. MH isn't like Megaman or AA games that Capcom shits out to make quick bucks.

7) MHW still has its G version and significant post launch content lined up. They have indicated they planned to support the title for a year, but nothing indicates they will not pull a SE and start charging for content expansions beyond that one year.

The fact is that Capcom is trying to position itself as a maker of AAA console games that are primarilu export-driven, and exported to growing markets overseas. Instead of selling to the dead console home market and the mobile home market which it is not competitive in, this is the corporate strategy the Tsujomotos sold to investors.

We live in a world where The Mercenaries 3D and Umbrella Corps exist

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
This has probably been brought up many times before, but what do people here in the MC thread think MS could do(if anything at all) to make XB relevant in Japan(or even just make it relevant outside the Anglosphere) ?

For me the only thing i could imagine is if they go the path of Vita and make a super souped up Handheld(possibly a handheldified Surface Tablet), though i doubt that will happen, since such a device would fail outside japan for sure, and i doubt even Phill would make something just for Japan with the knowledge that it will fail overseas.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
despite being a privately held company, Monolith Software posted financial info for the year ending in March 2018. net profit went down by 60% compared to the previous FY

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=213754
I'm guessing last FY included xenoblade 2(I get confuses with when these generally end) and I'm guessing it went down either because they disnt release a game, or becauaw they bought that extra building?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing last FY included xenoblade 2(I get confuses with when these generally end) and I'm guessing it went down either because they disnt release a game, or becauaw they bought that extra building?
no, Xenoblade 2 is accounted for in the year ending in March 2018. since they are a nintendo company, their FYs are from March to April. and I dont think they see revenue from their games since Nintendo pays for everything. what they count as profit, I don't know

Oct 25, 2017
despite being a privately held company, Monolith Software posted financial info for the year ending in March 2018. net profit went down by 60% compared to the previous FY

Weird since their last game was in 2015 so profiting less last year with their most successful game doesn't make too much sense.
Though they do say they spent a lot working on Splatoon and BOTW.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It does have a physical release in Europe. I agree with you that it won't reach 1M tho. Unlike MH3U and MH4U, the vanilla version of MHXX did get a western handheld release. Then there's also the overlap between PS4 and NSW players, who probably have bought MHW and aren't waiting for MHGU at all. I think this game might add 300k or so in the west, but I doubt it'll get to 1M worldwide.
There's also MHW on PC which will probably get a release date announcement at Gamescom and should release a month or two after GU(might even get a demo).

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil

This whole post, apart from the playerbase over the Japan and west, is purely speculative.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS would have sold better with different hardware, names and initial marketing. Those were its biggest flaws, not the lack of AAA 3rd party games.

It sold 24m in Japan and only 72m WW, it clearly was unappealing outside on its home market.

I mean, 73m is a pretty good result. Even more because when 3DS launched, smartphones already existed. If DS was launched in a time where smartphones already existed, I doubt that it could reach 150m. It was the right time for it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Nintendo expands them after all they've helped with.
XCX in 2015, Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2 in 2017, Torna Golden Country in 2018.
After a decade of having no hits, they're paying off quite a bit
Thankfully they are expanding, Monolith Tokyo hired a lot of new staff and besides their Kyoto branch they now just opened the Iidabashi studio.

They are in a really good position.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Very weird that they published numbers. They're 96.7% owned by Nintendo (the rest of the stock is owned by management). So why did they actually publish these numbers? They aren't even positive numbers compared to the previous year. Usually, one would think they publish numbers because they're looking for an investment or new owner, but that seems weird to me...

The reason why results are much lower than previous year is most likely because they depreciated the total development costs of Xenoblade 2. Usually work done on a game is stored as inventory value, which gets lost when the actual product is released. However, they get a fixed fee from Nintendo for development, which means that work done on a project is sold directly to Nintendo (so there's no inventory left). I don't know what kind of structure they've used, but this earnings release and its results are quite peculiar.

I was actually talking about a 150K first week, but I don't have the info needed to make a decent prediction. I just won't be surprised by a really great launch.
The original Bravely Default release was 141k FW, so >150k FW would be pretty high in that case. I think Square Enix and Nintendo can be prepared for a great launch nonetheless.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaand right on cue:

I didn't see a thread, the news are pretty old since it's from the investors meeting two weeks ago.
Via Nintendo-everything:

The question noted in the Q&A pdf:

During its latest shareholders meeting, Capcom was asked about its impressions regarding Switch. The company responded by pointing out that Monster Hunter XX is available, and that it intends to "continue developing other titles for this platform in the future."

One tweet that has been making the rounds on Japanese blogs is from Twitter user koudaiseidaos, who supposedly attended the shareholders meeting. This person notes that Monster Hunter World isn't going to be happening on Switch, but Capcom supposedly wants to continue with the franchise on the console and have future plans for it.

MH for Switch is gonna happen. Capcom was never going to look off 5-7 million in potential sales on Switch just "cuz PS4/XB1". They can make money off both and don't have enough franchises that sell big numbers to ignore that Switch MH market.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

no, Xenoblade 2 is accounted for in the year ending in March 2018. since they are a nintendo company, their FYs are from March to April. and I dont think they see revenue from their games since Nintendo pays for everything. what they count as profit, I don't know
Wow, weird. Weird that they published it, and weird that the profit was so low.
I guess Nintendo isn't too bothered about that or they wouldn't open another studio.
Aaaaand right on cue:

MH for Switch is gonna happen. Capcom was never going to look off 5-7 million in potential sales on Switch just "cuz PS4/XB1". They can make money off both and don't have enough franchises that sell big numbers to ignore that Switch MH market.
Yeah for sure. MH is one of the only things they can commit on this platform at this point. Still thinking they'll announce something at TGS (doesn't mean it'll be more than a logo).

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand right on cue:

Yeah, thought that would be the case. A few users kept insisting on MhW DLC being more profitable than a new Switch release, but 4M+ is higher than basically everything else they put out

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, weird. Weird that they published it, and weird that the profit was so low.
I guess Nintendo isn't too bothered about that or they wouldn't open another studio.
these are Monolith's results, not Nintendo's. so Xenoblade's sales are irrelevant as Nintendo pays them for development. again, I don't know what they count as profit, but we have to remember they still have another game in development and opened a new office with a bunch of new hires. all that could chew into their profits

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
We also have yet to see if the Western market is as receptive to all the MH DLC as the Japanese audience. It's just speculation but I think although the base game sales were very impressive, there isn't the same level of dedicated fanbase that will keep buying extra content for MHW. We'll see, however.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
these are Monolith's results, not Nintendo's. so Xenoblade's sales are irrelevant as Nintendo pays them for development. again, I don't know what they count as profit, but we have to remember they still have another game in development and opened a new office with a bunch of new hires. all that could chew into their profits
Well, sure, but Nintendo still owns 97% of them. I don't remember seeing them publish those results in the past too, I just really find that unusual.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Jun 18 - Jun 24)

DgXOIMmUYAI-2Ko.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace - 159 pt
02/ N [NSW] Minecraft - 159 pt
03/ N [PS4] New Gundam Breaker - 84 pt
04/ N [PS4] New Gundam Breaker (Build G Sound Edition) - 62 pt

05/02 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 15 pt (+2 pt)
06/ N [PS4] New Gundam Breaker (Premium Edition) - 8 pt
07/12 [PS4] Dark Souls Remastered - 6 pt (+1 pt)
08/01 [PS4] Record of Grancrest War (normal version) - 6 pt (-13 pt)
09/14 [PS4] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link - 6 pt (+1 pt)
10/08 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6 pt (-2 pt)
11/07 [PS4] Detroit: Become Human (Normal Version) - 5 pt (-3 pt)
12/ R. [PS4] FIFA 18 - 5 pt
13/ R. [NSW] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - 5 pt
14/04 [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 5 pt (-4 pt)
15/03 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5 pt (-6 pt)
16/ R. [PS4] Resident Evil 7 Gold edition - 4 pt
17/13 [PS4] Rainbow Six the Advanced Edition - 4 pt (-1 pt)
18/11 [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Moon - 4 pt (-2 pt)
19/14 [PSV] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link - 3 pt
20/06 [PS4] Super Bomberman R - 3 pt (-5 pt)

PS4: 11
NSW: 7
3DS: 1
PSV: 1

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...2018-jun-04-jun-10.48809/page-10#post-9373129

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is looking more and more likely that both Mario Tennis and Minecraft will have a >100k opening.

The best opening for Minecraft was on Vita with 36.593 units sold FW and the game eventually reached 1.441.780 units sold LTD (Famitsu numbers).