rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Someone questioned why white males are so violent. I used Norway as an example of a country full of white males that *never* has any mass shootings, so this white male violent thing is an american problem.

Well there was an attempted mass shooting at a nightclub only last year. By a neo nazi. And there is more than enough white male violence here that doesn't involve guns. But that is really not the discussion to be had here.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I am a local here. My friend was one of the victims. I also work closely with a non-profit that often time is the first line of communication to the public. If you happen to know anyone in need of counseling,

crisis services or counseling-

1. The Ventura County Crisis Team at 866-998-2243

2. CSUCI students and staff-

Students are encouraged to reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for additional support. CAPS can be reached anytime at 805-437-2088. If you reach the voicemail, select option 2 to access 24/7 phone counseling.

RIP...

I'm sorry for your loss, Satori :(

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
In this very thread you have evidence of people assuming the person's skin color before the details were out. You will never have a shooting where someone will assume the shooter is white. The next time this happens, no one will say, "I bet it's a white guy because it was a white guy last time!" The label only sticks if you're not white.

When in bars or public places, white people will never get strange looks.

There was at least one person in this very thread assuming the shooter was white and hated women.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

There was at least one person in this very thread assuming the shooter was white and hated women.
Just because there are a few people saying it, that doesn't mean it's the general consensus. Do you really need evidence to show how the public consciousness is warped to fear POC?
So then why is it okay to label all white men as violent for the actions a small minority commit? Genuinely curious
Because there's subtext to it. No one actually believes that white people are inherently violent. The statement is being used to point out a double standard. At least, that's the way I see it.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's a Glock 21. Just a regular handgun. Nothing special about it. It's what a lot of police forces use every day.

Even the most strict proposed gun control laws out there leave out handguns.
Which is ridiculous considering the majority of gun murders involve handguns.

Maybe some of the more vocal and less informed gun control proponents can end their myopic focus on scary black rifles and we can try to get better gun control for all firearms. Not that it will help much when gun nuts refuse any form of regulation. God forbid if owning a gun is harder than getting a driver's license.

RIP to the victims. Not much else to be said considering the people in power will never let something like this drive change.

Nothing can be done, said only nation where this regularly happens.

Cursed Mega Man Mask

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 6, 2018
I am a local here. My friend was one of the victims. I also work closely with a non-profit that often time is the first line of communication to the public. If you happen to know anyone in need of counseling,

Students are encouraged to reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for additional support. CAPS can be reached anytime at 805-437-2088. If you reach the voicemail, select option 2 to access 24/7 phone counseling.

RIP...

I'm so sorry.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Just because there are a few people saying it, that doesn't mean it's the general consensus. Do you really need evidence to show how the public consciousness is warped to fear POC?

That's fine, but you said "No one will say"... and then someone said it.

But whatever, it's not a big deal. I understand what you meant.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So then why is it okay to label all white men as violent for the actions a small minority commit? Genuinely curious
Broadly speaking it isn't, but there's an aspect of punching up vs. punching down to consider.

As a white man, when someone makes a generalized statement about me that isn't true, nothing happens to me. My day isn't ruined. My life isn't turned upside down and I'm not ostracized, marginalized, or outright harassed because of it. It doesn't become a social stigma that I have to endure while in line at the Kroger, or while I'm out walking at night in a hoodie. I don't have to worry about being accosted, threatened, or even killed by agents of the State for simply looking the way I do.

None of the above is true for minorities in this country.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017

RIP...

My condolences. :(

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
230031-witamy-w-usa.jpg

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

RIP...

Goddamn man. I'm so sorry. What a dark period for this country. Doesn't seem like the light will ever shine again.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broadly speaking it isn't, but there's an aspect of punching up vs. punching down to consider.

As a white man, when someone makes a generalized statement about me that isn't true, nothing happens to me. My day isn't ruined. My life isn't turned upside down and I'm not ostracized, marginalized, or outright harassed because of it. It doesn't become a social stigma that I have to endure while in line at the Kroger, or while I'm out walking at night in a hoodie. I don't have to worry about being accosted, threatened, or even killed by agents of the State for simply looking the way I do.

Excellent post. People should pay attention to this.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
That's a pretty dumb assumption imo. If you don't specify these things, they refer to the entire group.
Not really. When we have discussions on this board about any other group, it's kind of just assumed we're speaking about the USA.

When there's a discussion about how black men are more likely to be killed by white police officers, I don't see anyone mentioning London, Paris or Berlin. There's no need for anyone to get their knickers twisted, use the context of the conversation.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

RIP...
I'm so sorry for your loss.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I mean I know that. I, a minority, find it not very helpful to throw around blanket statements, because it really doesnt do anything except ostracize the ones that dont fall under that statement. I hate it when I'm compared to gang members by the media, so it isnt hard for me to understand the frustration a white person may feel constantly being grouped with racist, sexist, mass shooters.

In my opinion if theres something we dont like happening to us, why do it to others?

Edit: in the grand scheme of things this really isnt a super huge issue, but I am a proponent of trying to rally as many people to our side/cause, and making others feel like shit, especially important allies, doesnt help.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Maybe some of the more vocal and less informed gun control proponents can end their myopic focus on scary black rifles and we can try to get better gun control for all firearms. Not that it will help much when gun nuts refuse any form of regulation. God forbid if owning a gun is harder than getting a driver's license.

RIP to the victims. Not much else to be said considering the people in power will never let something like this drive change.

As long as the second amendment exists (and it will likely exist as long as the united states exists) we're pretty much fucked in regards to any sort of gun control.

Jul 18, 2018
Do we know who the shooter is? What he looks like and what he used?

I hate when OPs dont update their threads
Suspect Ian Long served in US Marine Corps from August 2008 to March 2013

From CNN's Ryan Browne

The suspected gunman Ian David Long was on active duty with the US Marine Corps from August 2008 to March 2013, according to Department of Defense records.

At a news conference, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said Long, 28, used a .45 caliber Glock during last night's shooting at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I know that. I, a minority, find it not very helpful to throw around blanket statements, because it really doesnt do anything except ostracize the ones that dont fall under that statement. I hate it when I'm compared to gang members by the media, so it isnt hard for me to understand the frustration a white person may feel constantly being grouped with racist, sexist, mass shooters.

In my opinion if theres something we dont like happening to us, why do it to others?
I get it, and you're right to feel that way; but again, punching up vs punching down. As you said, minorities are already fighting these stereotypes. White people are not. I suppose you could make the argument "well continuing to demonize whites in broad strokes will inevitably lead to negative stereotypes" but I honestly don't think that's likely to happen 1) ever and 2) certainly within my lifetime.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ah man, this mass shooting hysteria is so, so, so hideous.

As a former gun owner even I can clearly see there need to be utterly drastic measures to at least try to start somewhere to curb this situation. The facts and reality are there, no political affiliation of any kind should be able to avoid and/or spin that.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

RIP...

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope that you're able to find peace in the wake of this tragedy.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
signs like these should be legitimately erected around the country to try and hammer this shit home.
I'm ALL for this! In every fucking city, major road, and literally everywhere. It's beyond fucked up how we've normalized and allowed mass shootings/killings to happen on an every other day basis almost.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate my country for this. I wish it was easier for me to live and work somewhere else.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
It's a Glock 21. Just a regular handgun. Nothing special about it. It's what a lot of police forces use every day.

Even the most strict proposed gun control laws out there leave out handguns.

Waiting for more information to be released, if it comes to light that there was warning signs, he shouldn't have been allowed to carry any gun.

It's just way too easy to get a gun.