• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Hate that the creep's name is trending.
Normally I agree, but with him being on the run for so long, it was a necessary evil to get his name out there in an effort to ensure he was caught sooner than later. As a general practice, though, I prefer that these assholes remain anonymous.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Highland Park is an affluent suburban neighborhood.

My wife and I were thinking of going to Glen Ellyn for their fireworks, but considering they're also another affluent neighborhood and the guy is still at large, we've decided not to. :/

Freedom folks…

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Highland Park is an affluent suburban neighborhood.

My wife and I were thinking of going to Glen Ellyn for their fireworks, but considering they're also another affluent neighborhood and the guy is still at large, we've decided not to. :/

Freedom folks…
I think the posts above mentioned he was in custody

Oct 27, 2017
I am being serious, and I'm not the only person to have had this idea. See this link. 30% tax on all guns and 50% on all ammunition.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ase-taxes-firearms-and-ammunition/5231813002/
That seems pointless. A lot of people (almost all?) that obtain guns with the intention of committing murder end up having a whole arsenal with thousands of rounds by the time they actually kill anyone. If you cut the number of guns and bullets in their possession by half, I don't think it would change how many people are dead by the time they are killed or caught.

Is there any study that shows gun prices correlate with murder rates?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was obviously into Q shit and a Trumper but...still doesn't make sense to shoot up a July 4th parade? Unless it was just a spur of the moment bloodlust.

Shooting occurred in a heavily left leaning, Jewish neighborhood. Piece of shit probably thought it was patriotic.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
He was obviously into Q shit and a Trumper but...still doesn't make sense to shoot up a July 4th parade? Unless it was just a spur of the moment bloodlust.

They're all hyped up to murder people, with social media and cable news networks feeding them a steady stream of hatred and anxiety. Sadly we're way past needing specific triggers.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
poor guy is just mentally ill. it's the videogames' fault, of course.

sick and tired of this shit. the gop and the right wing are a legit terroristic organisation. human rights, human lives, none are safe because a bunch of cowardly white people are scared of no longer being the overwhelming majority and having their precious privilege threatened.

so it's basically free reign for the nutjobs to kill us all because they got the guns and no one is stopping them from buying and using them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That seems pointless. A lot of people (almost all?) that obtain guns with the intention of committing murder end up having a whole arsenal with thousands of rounds by the time they actually kill anyone. If you cut the number of guns and bullets in their possession by half, I don't think it would change how many people are dead by the time they are killed or caught.

Is there any study that shows gun prices correlate with murder rates?

Nothing I can nor have seen. But I did find these nuggets of information:

American taxpayers pay a daily average of $34.8 million for medical care, first responders, ambulances, police, and criminal justice services related to gun violence.

Families directly affected by gun violence everyday face $4.7 million in out-of-pocket costs for medical bills and mental health support, and $140.3 million in losses from work missed due to injury or death.

Society loses an estimated $586.8 million per day in intangible costs from the pain and suffering of gun violence victims and their families.

Employers every day lose $1.4 million in productivity, revenue, and costs required to recruit and train replacements for victims of gun violence.

The average cost for overall gun violence in the United States is $860 for every person. However, in states with stronger gun laws, the economic toll of gun violence is less than half this amount, whereas in states where gun laws are weaker and gun injuries and fatalities are higher, gun violence costs residents double or more this amount per person.

Seeing how much this is costing us, I sure as hell do think that a much higher tax on guns and ammo (along with reinstating the assault weapons ban from 1994 that lapsed in 2004), would help curb some of these shootings. You never know that if it takes a potential shooter more time to stock up if that someone would've notified the authorities or had someone talk them out of their plan. Anything is worth trying at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing I can nor have seen. But I did find these nuggets of information:

Seeing how much this is costing us, I sure as hell do think that a much higher tax on guns and ammo (along with reinstating the assault weapons ban from 1994 that lapsed in 2004), would help curb some of these shootings. You never know that if it takes a potential shooter more time to stock up if that someone would've notified the authorities or had someone talk them out of their plan. Anything is worth trying at this point.
An alternative is to require insurance the same way we do for cars. I remember this tweet from right after the Uvalde massacre:

Basically, gun insurance can be treated like car insurance where they're allowed to look at all the different ways you could fuck up (accidental discharge, intentional homicide, etc) and just throw the estimated cost at you. I looked it up for 2019 (pre-pandemic) on the FBI UCR stuff, and apparently:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/topic-pages/expanded-homicide
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/01/business/coronavirus-gun-sales.html
2019 homicides by gun: ~ 10,000
2019 gun sales: ~ 10,000,000

So like the economist in the tweet says, you get an AVERAGE cost of around $10k/year for every gun since there's approximately one homicide for every thousand guns sold. Obviously, it could go much higher or lower depending on the buyer's background, purchase history, type of gun being bought, and anything else that might be relevant. Still, costs like that would drastically lower the accessibility and amount of guns being sold every year.

The craziest thing is that it would actually spur gun nuts to support a shitload of regulation just so they don't end up in the same insurance pool as the psychopaths. Almost no young, unmarried men would be able to afford a gun and probably not anything deadlier than a bolt-action or maybe a shotgun.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Terrible. I work in Highland Park. We'll be closed tomorrow. I know at least one person that was shot. Dreading finding out just how many regulars were harmed/killed.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
My sister just called me and was telling me in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania a group of people got spooked by something and started to panic and run during a fireworks show. Hopefully its just people being on edge...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got a load of family in Highland Park and Northbrook, and some were at the parade. My cousin specifically brought her three young children to it and ran off with them as soon as the shooting happened, leaving behind a stroller and her purse as she ran. Fucking nightmare.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a load of family in Highland Park and Northbrook, and some were at the parade. My cousin specifically brought her three young children to it and ran off with them as soon as the shooting happened, leaving behind a stroller and her purse as she ran. Fucking nightmare.
Young enough to not remember this, I hope.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
An alternative is to require insurance the same way we do for cars. I remember this tweet from right after the Uvalde massacre:

Basically, gun insurance can be treated like car insurance where they're allowed to look at all the different ways you could fuck up (accidental discharge, intentional homicide, etc) and just throw the estimated cost at you. I looked it up for 2019 (pre-pandemic) on the FBI UCR stuff, and apparently:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/topic-pages/expanded-homicide
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/01/business/coronavirus-gun-sales.html
2019 homicides by gun: ~ 10,000
2019 gun sales: ~ 10,000,000

So like the economist in the tweet says, you get an AVERAGE cost of around $10k/year for every gun since there's approximately one homicide for every thousand guns sold. Obviously, it could go much higher or lower depending on the buyer's background, purchase history, type of gun being bought, and anything else that might be relevant. Still, costs like that would drastically lower the accessibility and amount of guns being sold every year.

The craziest thing is that it would actually spur gun nuts to support a shitload of regulation just so they don't end up in the same insurance pool as the psychopaths. Almost no young, unmarried men would be able to afford a gun and probably not anything deadlier than a bolt-action or maybe a shotgun.

This is actually brilliant. It is such an obvious solution to the problem given our society.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
This hits too close to home. I worked in Highland Park for years. I grew up not too far from here. I currently live 20 miles away in Chicago. My family still lives in Lake County. My good friend still lives in Highland Park, and they caught the shooter 2 miles from her house. This shit is so fucked.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And of course another MAGA terrorist.

Can't wait for the AKSHUALLY HE'S AN ANTIFA PLANT

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever feel safe in public, crowded event in the US. Chance of something happening seems higher than winning a lottery.