Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
At this point I just see shit like and go "yeah makes sense." Because a big parade filled with fireworks and people is the best place to go shooting.

Going to a big rock festival later this month. Hope they stepped up their security game, because that's another fantastic spot for a mass shooting.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Shit that's scary. Really hoping the casualty count doesn't go any higher. Even though it's 25 miles away from me, it's got me rethinking going to a July 4 celebration tonight (assuming it's not cancelled).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty wild that this is one of the most affluent and safest suburbs in IL. I'm seeing on Twitter people saying it's a Chicago thing and it's certainly not.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The people who need to hear this and need to have their minds change will just say "but Chicago"

:\ So tired.....

Edit: To make it clear, I'm aware it's not actually Chicago. But it will be blamed on "gang violence bleeding over" or some shit. I hear it all the time in my area because I live near Memphis.

May 31, 2018
It honestly feels that this is the new trend that's "in" for crazy sickos. Skin whoever this is alive and keep them alive just to feel the pain.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As stated above, Highland park is one of the more wealthier areas. Michael Jordan had a mansion there. I think he still has. Hasn't been able to sell it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also I guarantee you that Highland Park is spending more on police than 99% of places
I really want someone to call them out on their bullshit and ask for a quote on crime reduction proportionate to the increase in police presence. I don't think the numbers would quite reflect what these idiots think they do.

But if that's true, how can we blame everything on the urbans and minorities? /s

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Assholes who say this is a Chicago thing, this is like a shooting at Orange County and people say "TYPICAL SOUTH CENTRAL LA."

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Is it confirmed that the suspect currently has hostages?

A WGN reporter live on the scene said he heard a rumor about the suspect holding hostages inside a grocery store nearby but he reported that he didn't see much police activity near said store so he didn't put much weight behind the story.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell and they still haven't got the guy.

I am so tired of this shit, so beyond tired.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
The red stripes of our flag today be stained with the victims of senseless violence and irresponsible gun laws.

I hate that I had a feeling that something would happen on this day of all days.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible and it probably won't be the only one today.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
most suburbs around here have now cancelled everything for the day out of respect and fear. This country sucks.

I saw a photo of multiple dead so I believe the tweet above stating 5.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is that I expected something like this to happen. It's not a celebration of our freedom without murdering people with guns.

RIP to the victims who had their lives stolen far too soon.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Highland Park is extremely white and extremely affluent. I live 20 miles away, we call it Yuppieville.

Can't wait until the talking heads start blaming it on "Chicago gangs!!!"

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
God damn it, even on a fucking holiday across the US? When will this madness end

The solution is extremely clear, but it's insane that no one in the US government at any level, is willing to outright ban guns.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a german reading americans saying "just a chicago thing" is mindnumbing… as if that amount of people being shot is "just a thing" anywhere else but the US as a whole.

The guy is still on the loose wtf… I feel so much for the victims and their families but I also feel so much anger and compassion for the americans who want change but don't get it from their government

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this shit because if it happening in an affluent community is the only thing that makes you pay attention then what the fuck have you been doing for all the rest of these shootings.
I think they're drawing the point that Republicans like to blame it on "minority violence" and "bad neighborhoods" and other bad faith racist shit, and you can't argue that here. Really you can't argue it in most of these shootings in general, but people like to try to find an instant scapegoat to explain the situation instead of saying, oh, we have a gun problem.

Of course that's a moot point anyway because it doesn't matter where it happens, including multiple schools regularly, Republicans will still find a way to blame everything but the actual problem of gun availability.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the parade aftermath is like something out of a Stephen King novel. It's eerie, and disturbing that this is a common event in today's America.

Zv0dkBU.jpg