Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This opens up the possibility that someone in the MCU can just get killed for shock value and have their multiverse variant (portrayed by the same actor) come back in a future MCU movie.

Edit: lol, imagine Disney asking Tom Holland "Hey, this will be your last Spider-Man movie. Do you want to play character xyz from the marvel multiverse?"

He could be Iron-Man in another universe...
Don't know if he's smug enough to play the jerk that is Iron Man 2022

Oct 27, 2017
Nah it's perfectly fine to not like the finale. It's just not nonsensical. It ties the whole show together, displays the culmination of Loki's character arc and sets up S2 and other upcoming MCU stuff.

Right like even if you don't know the comic lore the finale still demonstrates a lot of character stuff that has been built up over the course of the show so it's not like it was an 'only for comic fans" type of episode. Whether it's well executed or not is obviously ymmv.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I get the "Loki barely matters" concern - in a sense, the finale spends 2/3rds of its runtime setting up a very, VERY detailed trolley problem, and then throws it at the Lokis to see how they react. They both, really, act the way you'd expect. Sylvie, who wants revenge, wants to kill him. Loki, who wants power, wants to usurp him. But Loki is changed enough by his journey that his motivation is no longer just power, and he has the uphill battle of trying to convince people that THIS TIME, it really stuck, because the choice is the same either way.

But it's 100% the back seat, and objectively it's a ton of time dedicated to fleshing out the lore of that choice. In sheer mass, the lore outweighs everything else. So pound-for-pound I can see why people would call it a bad finale. Good piece of MCU content, holistically, but a bad Loki episode. Depends on how Season 2 ends up going I guess.

That being said... the Loki stuff has always felt a little shoehorned in here. It's kind of a nuts-and-gum combination. I can imagine a version that jettisons Variant Loki entirely and focuses entirely on Mobius, Sylvie, and Ravonna - just a straight up "TVA: The Series" - and it might honestly be a better show?
I disagree that it's bad lore for a Loki episode. He Who Remains built the TVA - explains why he built the TVA, then offers the Loki's a chance to run the TVA. Like everything he says is in service of the Loki series. It affecting the larger MCU is a byproduct, not the main concept.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are humans not regarded as the most dangerous creatures in the multiverse lol. Just a normal (ok genius) lil human from the 31st century, goes on to destroy most of the multiverse and command control over everything, to the point where infinity stones mean nothing to them. Like, where is galactus during all this? Is this immortus really powerful enough to kill celestials++?

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
My only complaint about the show's finale is that it wasn't long enough. When I saw the runtime was shorter than episode 5 I let out an audible "Boo".

I could listen to He Who Remains exposition dump for far longer than he did, which was most of the episode. I also didn't care for the multiple cliffhangers. Waiting until the next Dr. Strange movie is waaaay to long to get some answers. With the only tease being that there will be a 2nd season. Coolcoolcool.

giveitomenowplease.gif

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't wait for the Fantastic Four with all of this going on. With Reed having to deal with the fact that his descendant is wrecking havoc across the multiverse, then you add Franklin into the mix... if we don't get God Emperor Doom within the next 10 years, I riot.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I were really disappointed with the final episode. We are not comic people (we've seen most of the main movies), so we had no idea who this new 'enemy' was. Episode was so weird; how do you go from an exciting penultimate episode were you enchant a freaking smoke dragon, to a final episode were you have an exposition dump for half the episode by some guy that seems like he's done too many lines in the bathroom? How is this guy someone that is controlling all of time, and yet he's just a normal human that can be stabbed to death? The fight between the two Lokis seemed so forced, with the female Loki basically changing behavior to fit the plot. Ugh, episode was dumb, episode 3 remains the highlight of the series.

One thing I will say is that after it was over, I told my wife I bet a lot of the people big into this stuff will have loved this finale for some reason or other, and looking here it seems I was correct. It's like this episode was made for the select few that are deep into this lore; for the rest of us it was just a mess of nonsensical exposition and odd choices.

We are on the same wavelength. Imagine a series that kept that same level of character focus as episode 3. Once Loki met his other variants and they all just turned out to be gimmicks with neither really questioning the other outside of Old Loki's lore dump, I knew where things would end.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
How are humans not regarded as the most dangerous creatures in the multiverse lol. Just a normal (ok genius) lil human from the 31st century, goes on to destroy most of the multiverse and command control over everything, to the point where infinity stones mean nothing to them. Like, where is galactus during all this? Is this immortus really powerful enough to kill celestials++?
It's all relative. Kang is crafty, smart, and can travel through time. He's not super powerful, he's just relentless.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's great if people liked it, I thought the last episode was crap, but also to be fair 5000 votes is a select few compared to the millions who watch these shows.

You may not have liked it but it was the perfect season finale. It challenged the two protagonists, with one succeeding while the other failed, it established the antagonist for the next season and the MCU as a whole, it left both protagonists on a cliffhanger that sees them separated and on seemingly different paths and we have no idea what direction those paths are in, it answered a lot of questions and left us with many more... It sets up a second season so well that it's difficult to see how it could be seen as crap.

To be totally honest with you, the only people that don't like the finale seem to be the people that insisted for weeks that it had to be a Loki behind everything and aren't happy that they were way off base.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
[
for the rest of us it was just a mess of nonsensical exposition and odd choices.

I got several quotes of people telling me they didnt know anything about Kang and enjoyed it. Thats great, but Im with you. Without next day internet research, most viewers wont even know Kang's name. My wife and daughter were like "that just ended with a giant conversation and then a forced fight".

It seems like watching a whodunnit and finding out the killer was a guy not introduced until the last 15 minutes, which is kind of underwhelming. Im down for season 2, just felt like a fizzle until the shot of the conquerer statue in the library.

From a narrative standpoint, just a weird choice to make the last ep an introduction with large amounts of exposition.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just like Vision said, "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
[

I got several quotes of people telling me they didnt know anything about Kang and enjoyed it. Thats great, but Im with you. Without next day internet research, most viewers wont even know Kang's name. My wife and daughter were like "that just ended with a giant conversation and then a forced fight".

It seems like watching a whodunnit and finding out the killer was a guy not introduced until the last 15 minutes, which is kind of underwhelming. Im down for season 2, just felt like a fizzle until the shot of the conquerer statue in the library.

From a narrative standpoint, just a weird choice to make the last ep an introduction with large amounts of exposition.

Also, it's an introduction to a character that can't be defeated in this show. Which is the dumbest thing to do for a TV series that's supposed to keep going after this. What's the point of Season 2 when we already know for a fact Kang has to stick around for a bunch of movies and not get truly defeated in any of them either?

If this was a limited series and the show was just over now, okay. Lead into dumb MCU metaverse bullshit. Fair enough. But why should we keep watching this show when the central conflict by its very nature cannot be resolved within its own confines?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that it's bad lore for a Loki episode. He Who Remains built the TVA - explains why he built the TVA, then offers the Loki's a chance to run the TVA. Like everything he says is in service of the Loki series. It affecting the larger MCU is a byproduct, not the main concept.

Right, but we're sort of hitting the point where you have to wonder why the TVA matters to Loki at all? It matters to Sylvie, for sure - they're her enemy. But Loki? It's just an obstacle, something for him to try and overthrow, something that puts up a wall for him. It's an excuse for him to be thrown into these situations where he's seeing his life laid out, and seeing other versions of himself that went down different paths. The origins don't matter to him or his character arc, just that final choice. The lore dump is for the audience.

The "TVA stuff" and "Loki character stuff" are essentially two different pillars of the show, and neither really needs the other.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I watched a different show than the people that say this episode didn't focus on 'character'.

Episodes 1 through 5 were about putting Loki through a series of experiences that possibly changed him. Episode 6 was about testing those changes over and over again. PROVING that Loki had actually changed.

•Originally, Loki wanted ultimate power. He wanted this because he felt unloved his entire life, looked down upon, alone. But when he -saw- ultimate power, the TVA, he realized that it was even more alienating than a lack of it. The TVA was dry, boring, empty, soulless.
•Originally, Loki was alone. His family cared for him, but he couldn't see it. He thought his father and brother looked down on him, or were ashamed of him. And even though he did not resent his mother, he probably felt like she couldn't possibly actually love him, because he wasn't hers, and he was such a fuckup. But these people loved him, and he couldn't accept it or risk the vulnerability to love those people back. Over the course of the series, he is forced to spend time with people that understand him in some way, and this allows him to understand himself better, but also develop true and meaningful connections (Mobius and Sylvie)

In this episode, his character development is tested and confirmed TWICE. Miss Minutes offers him Asgard, Midgard, Thanos, The Infinity Gauntlet, and he turns it down. He could have had incredible power, but his newfound selflessness prevailed. Then Kang offers him the ultimate throne: dominion over ALL OF TIME AND SPACE. LITERAL KING OF SPACE. And he turns it down again! Everything he's ever wanted is right in front of him, but he begins to put the needs of others first.

And every word with Sylvie, everything they do together, every aspect of the fight, it proves that he has finally found a person he can love, and that it's not fragile, not a lie. Loki barely fights her, begs and pleads for her to stop, puts his own life on the line to spare everyone from a multiversal war but also to spare Sylvie the guilt and regret and emptiness that comes with mistakes made out of anger and resentment and loneliness.

The Loki of episode 1 would have killed Kang the second it was offered to him, slipped on the super TemPad without a second thought, and gone on a rampage throughout time and space to subjugate the Avengers. He would have been truly and utterly alone doing it, too.

Episode 6 had a lot of Kang exposition, but every single Loki and Sylvie moment was crafted with geniune purpose. Even things like the way he literally steps out of her way when they get to the front door, he knows that this is HER destiny that is approaching, and does not try to usurp the moment until the very end when he has to try and stop her to save her.

Edit: And one more thing: Several times through the show, it's noted that Loki is a survivor. Surviving is what he does. He survived falling from the bifrost, survived the encounter with Kurse, survived Ragnarok, survived Lamentis, survived the void (different versions, etc). But in episode 6, survival is the last thing on his mind. He came within a hair's breadth of being killed by Sylvie so that he could try and talk her down, dissuade her from making a mistake, so that she could be okay. The finale is selfless act after selfless act, genuine heroism from a guy for whom it seemed impossible.

We talked about this quite a bit last night in my house. I don't know what show you guys were watching but Madlaughter and I were watching the same show because we came to the same conclusion about where the characters started and where they finished.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but we're sort of hitting the point where you have to wonder why the TVA matters to Loki at all? It matters to Sylvie, for sure - they're her enemy. But Loki? It's just an obstacle, something for him to try and overthrow, something that puts up a wall for him. It's an excuse for him to be thrown into these situations where he's seeing his life laid out, and seeing other versions of himself that went down different paths. The origins don't matter to him or his character arc, just that final choice. The lore dump is for the audience.

The "TVA stuff" and "Loki character stuff" are essentially two different pillars of the show, and neither really needs the other.
The TVA matters because they spent 6 episodes building up Loki's relationship's with Sylvie - who the TVA matters a ton to, and Mobius who Loki really cares about. The TVA helps Loki grow. They throw him back to an alternate TVA where Mobius doesn't recognize him, and he's crushed by it. Like, this TV series is about Loki being involved with the TVA - all of that is important.

Like, just because the TV show is called Loki, doesn't mean the TVA isn't important.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I was unaware. I thought it was planned as a standalone and a season 2 was just a possiblity of an extension past and already-concluded story. I thought it would be more like WandaVision and FatWS that way.

Don't you see? You have to set your expectations based on casting calls (to know this is the same actor that will play Kang) and executive interviews. That's the real MCU.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I now feel really confident about I next villian in the MCU since Thanos is gone. Jonathan Majors' debut last night was incredible and I want to see more of him and his acting.

I actually really like that our introduction to Kang in the MCU is an insane version from the end of time. One, his unhinged ranting provided a variety of insights into Kang's motivations and personality. Two, it leaves the viewer not knowing what to expect from a "normal" Kang who is in full command of himself and hasn't given up on his ambitions.

For instance, one might presume it was only this Kang, TOWR, who decided that squatting in a manor in the void forever, was his destiny. Other Kangs might have very different goals in mind.

The One Who Remains is simultaneously a deep look at Kang, yet only a tiny teaser of what is to come.

Time travel technology is always god-tier broken balance. Any loser with a time portal can go back to the right moment, step on a butterfly, and prevent a god from being born.

That said, in the Marvel universe you figure if a time traveler really tried to assassinate a cosmic entity or two, they'd be fucked. Celestial entities would make them a priority target.

Though as for the Infinity Stones, I think the show is following the comic book lore than an Infinity Stone only has power in the universe it is from. Take it to another, or outside of reality (where the TVA is) and it can't connect to the juice. So the TVA isn't really more powerful than an Infinity Stone - their HQ is just safely out of range.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people think Majors was acting poorly here?

How is that possible lmao

It's a weird performance. Not everyone likes really eccentric performances like that. I still don't know how I feel about it. It's hard to take the character seriously or believe anything he says when so much of his performance feels like an improv comedy bit gone rogue.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
How distant of a relative is Reed? Does that connection mean we're potentially getting a black Reed Richards? 👀

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, you're just too stuck in the past to see the fashion of the future

seriously though considering how much fashion changes every decade let alone century, the comic outfit works because it's supposed to be something kinda wild and different
Technically, if someone subscribes to the late 90s-early 00s ideals that "super hero costumes can't work in movies" when the MCU's proven the can (with tweaks here and there, but not "just go grounded, black leather uniforms..."), to hold on to that belief IS being stuck in the past. The late 90s-00s were a LONG time ago (can you believe that now we are talking about the 00s and people from that era holding onto "old ways", nostalgia and looking back with "rose-tinted glasses"? Topical with this show, but time don't stand still, folks. Time moves on even of people refuse to do so.).

WX0f6fC.png
I noticed that too.

Based on this:

MAKF4AP.jpg

...looks like 10 movies and 15 D+ shows for Phase 4.

Whole bunch of sub-branches growing past the red lines too.
Each episode of What If...? is going to probably represent a different alternate timeline. Also, all the branches are likely MORE than what we see on that screen. The edges are cut off, meaning there's timelines and the past and the future of that focused part of the timeline.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The TVA matters because they spent 6 episodes building up Loki's relationship's with Sylvie - who the TVA matters a ton to, and Mobius who Loki really cares about. The TVA helps Loki grow. They throw him back to an alternate TVA where Mobius doesn't recognize him, and he's crushed by it. Like, this TV series is about Loki being involved with the TVA - all of that is important.

Like, just because the TV show is called Loki, doesn't mean the TVA isn't important.

Yeah, it's important to people that are important to Loki, but again, to him, the main character, it's tangential.

Like, Lamentis is also important to Loki - it's an obstacle for him and Sylvie to overcome, a challenge for them to face and grow together. But do we need all the lore about it? Does it matter who is in charge of the place, or what its origins are, or what happens after they leave? No, it's just a random planet.

The TVA as a setting is important, it's the narrative hook. But the details of that setting aren't. Considering the following: it turns out the Time Keepers were really in charge, and the video he watched in Episode 1 was mostly true. They say, hey, if you kill us, it'll unravel time and chaos reigns. Very short, 5 minute conversation. Does that change anything at all about the character arcs for Loki or Sylvie?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's important to people that are important to Loki, but again, to him, the main character, it's tangential.

Like, Lamentis is also important to Loki - it's an obstacle for him and Sylvie to overcome, a challenge for them to face and grow together. But do we need all the lore about it? Does it matter who is in charge of the place, or what its origins are, or what happens after they leave? No, it's just a random planet.

The TVA as a setting is important, it's the narrative hook. But the details of that setting aren't. Considering the following: it turns out the Time Keepers were really in charge, and the video he watched in Episode 1 was mostly true. They say, hey, if you kill us, it'll unravel time and chaos reigns. Very short, 5 minute conversation. Does that change anything at all about the character arcs for Loki or Sylvie?
The whole mystery of this show is why is the TVA a thing and who did it. That's why it's different than Lamentis. It's not just a setting, it's the driving force behind everything in the show. If you don't want to know the story or reasons behind the TVA, that's fine, but to act as if it doesn't matter to this show is just silly.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
dunno what folks who didn't like it were expecting?

It's like if they don't get the most cookie cutter basic hand holding they out

"But but I don't know who this guy is despite the show being about whos been behind the TVA since ep 1. I want it to be about Loki, dangit, it has his name on the tin!!!"

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Fun story, Kang went back in time once to trick a younger, dumber Thor into drunk-fighting Apocalypse and disguised as Loki, he guides Thor to enchanting his axe Jarnbjorn to be able to kill pierce the Celestial Armor that Apocalypse wears. Then steals the axe in the present day and gives it to the children of Apocalypse in the future in order to murder a Celestial. Then the Celestials take revenge by destroying the Earth and Odin blames Thor for it, and he goes to Kang for help to undo the mistake lol

it's a reason to give Loki a reason to give a shit about regular people and become a hero. this is the same Loki who is days removed from murdering innocent humans for fun, and now he is appalled by the idea of a self-serving universal dictator who takes free will away from everyone but himself, and was willing to sacrifice his life to Sylvie in order to stop her from just potentially making things worse

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The whole mystery of this show is why is the TVA a thing and who did it. That's why it's different than Lamentis. It's not just a setting, it's the driving force behind everything in the show. If you don't want to know the story or reasons behind the TVA, that's fine, but to act as if it doesn't matter to this show is just silly.

I never said it doesn't matter to the show, or that I don't like it. I said it doesn't matter to Loki - the character - and his narrative arc. That his story of character growth and the story of the mystery of the TVA aren't really integrated together, and that I get how, if you're here for the Loki stuff, spending so much time on Kang would be a bummer.

Nateo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So timelines are new universes, which is weird cause well Infinity Stones aren't meant to work in other universes but when the Avengers Time Heisted they did it from technically another universe which means the stones shouldn't have worked. I still think MCU cocked up time travel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So timelines are new universes, which is weird cause well Infinity Stones aren't meant to work in other universes but when the Avengers Time Heisted they did it from technically another universe which means the stones shouldn't have worked. I still think MCU cocked up time travel.

The secret to time travel is that it's impossible to actually do it well. All time travel plots fall apart under scrutiny.

Oct 22, 2020
As a casual MCU fan with no familiarity with the comics and not a particularly deep engagement with this overall storyline, I'm a bit confused about whether this conclusion is setting the groundwork for characters like Deadpool, the X-Men, the F4, and the alleged Spidey "variants" to be introduced via parallel realties - or if the fallout from this is going to be largely background noise and more limited to Loki storyline.

I mean, it seems very big. But I also could be reading too much into it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
As a casual MCU fan with no familiarity with the comics and not a particularly deep engagement with this overall storyline, I'm a bit confused about whether this conclusion is setting the groundwork for characters like Deadpool, the X-Men, the F4, and the alleged Spidey "variants" to be introduced via parallel realties - or if the fallout from this is going to be largely background noise and more limited to Loki storyline.

it means a ton for Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness, we know that much. Since Strange also appears in Spider-Man it stands to reason that it could be the first example of the Multiverse being smashed open that we get to see MCU heroes having to deal with.

But on top of that, Kang is also heavily involved in the early Young Avengers comics so it's highly likely that he'll be the impetus for their formation in the MCU

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I wonder If due to what's happened we'll suddenly see whomever is cast as Wolverine suddenly appear alongside Steve Rogers as a Howling Commando or if Mainline timeline remains the same and Howling Commando Logan would be part of a separate timeline? I wonder if the TVA will be involved with Deadpool crossing to the MCU? 🤔

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

This is absolutely massive. Your instincts are pretty good here. Spider-Man will be the first movie to explore this stuff most likely.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I wonder If due to what's happened we'll suddenly see whomever is cast as Wolverine suddenly appear alongside Steve Rogers as a Howling Commando or if Mainline timeline remains the same and Howling Commando Logan would be part of a separate timeline?

i don't care what they do to make it work, but I want the prime MCU to now be rewritten so that stuff that couldn't appear before due to rights issues, was there the whole time now thanks to Kang and the multiverse being freed

Immortus would have seen Reed and Doom as threats to his plan, so he removed them from the MCU before it ever even existed. It wasn't about rights all along!

And yes - we see a flashback to Captain America & The Howling Commandos and Logan was one of the men Steve freed alongside them and Bucky!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

In the comics, humans are often considered the most dangerous species, despite not being as advanced yet. There's a whole series, Avengers Forever, devoted to it. And Kang is central to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
In the comics, humans are often considered the most dangerous species, despite not being as advanced yet. There's a whole series, Avengers Forever, devoted to it. And Kang is central to it.

yep and the Avengers Forever: Destiny Wars comic was where Kang and Immortus were fighting over the timeline to make sure Nathaniel Richards always becomes one of them, and at the time Immortus was a servant of He Who Remains and the Timekeepers until he gathered a team of time-displaced Avengers to help overthrow them. They went from that to having Immortus being behind the Timekeepers/TVA in the MCU which makes him much more threatening.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bad acting and "looks like a TV show" have been the typical go-tos when people who just don't like it want to sound like they have valid criticism. I see where PlanetSmasher is coming from though

Yeah, like...actual bad acting is pretty rare in performances of this size and budget. We don't have a Sam Worthington on our hands here. Majors is clearly making a lot of intentional choices, but the weirdly comedic timbre of his delivery doesn't always seem to mesh wth the level of gravitas these scenes seem to want to have.

On one hand, it feels intentional - the director wouldn't let him riff like that the whole time without purpose - but on the other hand it does make the tone of the episode feel very uneven. Some people are gonna love it, some people are gonna hate it. And some people are gonna be like me and just kinda sit in the middle going "I see what they were going for, I just don't know how I feel about it".

To be totally honest with you, the only people that don't like the finale seem to be the people that insisted for weeks that it had to be a Loki behind everything and aren't happy that they were way off base.

Eh. If the entire show didn't screech to a halt to drown itself in MCU metaverse bullshit for literally half an hour, it wouldn't have been as bad. I just don't care about 90% of the movies we're getting moving forward and I wanted this show's season finale to feel like a season finale for this show, not a post-credits scene for a Marvel movie I didn't watch setting up another Marvel movie I don't want to watch.

It feels like we just went into a midseason break.