Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Some new quotes about the Shang Chi movie.

www.empireonline.com

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings Is Inspired By ‘Jackie Chan And Wuxia’ – Exclusive Image

Marvel's upcoming superhero adventure is drawing from martial arts greats, says director Destin Daniel Cretton. Read more at Empire.

The article has chosen to focus on the movie being inspired by Jackie Chan and Wuxia. But for me that's nothing new, the more interesting quotes are the ones hinting that Shang Chi might be a super powered being. Here are those 2 lines.

"It was important for us from the beginning to have the MCU's first Asian-American superhero be a superhero,"
"We want him to be on par with other superheroes in the MCU and not just be the master of kung fu. Shang-Chi is an incredible martial artist, but he's so much more than that."

I know this has been a subject of debate. I definitely want him to have powers. I don't want him to have eye lasers or multiply himself, just th typical enhanced speed, strength, and durability so he can be in the fight against future big bads. And it sounds like the Director is suggesting that.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Is Illumenerdi reliable?

From what I can tell their rep's overall questionable but has been better of late. At the very least Murphy's Multiverse has been backing them up strongly and their rep's historically far better.

The Murphy links, since we're talking about it:

www.murphysmultiverse.com

REPORT: 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' to Feature Tenoch Huerta as Namor - Murphy's Multiverse

We’ve all been keeping a close eye on what the sequel of Black Panther might have in store…

REPORT: Attuma and Namora Joining Namor in 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' - Murphy's Multiverse

Around four months ago, it was revealed that Marvel Studios was actively casting two Mayan Warriors for the…

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
not a fan of that actor for Namor ... these days with all the political correctness and they cast a CHARISMATIC ACTOR TO PLAY NAMOR ?

That is political correctness going too far =P

Everyone knows the actor for Namor needs to be someone that you see on the street and feel the urge to punch him in the face without him doing anything

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
From what I can tell their rep's overall questionable but has been better of late. At the very least Murphy's Multiverse has been backing them up strongly and their rep's historically far better.

The Murphy links, since we're talking about it:

REPORT: 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' to Feature Tenoch Huerta as Namor - Murphy's Multiverse

We’ve all been keeping a close eye on what the sequel of Black Panther might have in store…

REPORT: Attuma and Namora Joining Namor in 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' - Murphy's Multiverse

Around four months ago, it was revealed that Marvel Studios was actively casting two Mayan Warriors for the…
Damn...I was hoping that Namor would be played by an asian instead.
MCU is still lacking in that department.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Namor is a prime candidate for race-lifting because you can really put Atlantis anywhere, and historically he's been "othered" by virtue of being Atlantean. You just need to visually update what the Atlanteans looks like. East Asia would have been interesting, particularly when putting him into a WWII-era context, but I do think an indigenous American angle makes sense. They just need to tread carefully to avoid "pre-Colombian civilizations are all descended from Atlanteans" trope.

In particular I think it'd be a nice opportunity to have Latino/Latina heroes that aren't from the US, which Shang-Chi provides for Asia and Black Panther provides for Africa. Marvel doesn't really have any prime candidates without moving things around. The Ghost Riders are pretty closely tied to the southwest, the White Tigers are Puerto Rican, and Ms. America is obviously tough to divorce from the US. You could maybe transplant Nova's story to Mexico. I'd watch that.

In general, the more internationalization of the MCU the better.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I may have gone a bit too ambitious with the Loki OT in doing a different type font with each letter. I'll try to have the thread up by tomorrow morning at the latest.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not seeing Namor and T'Challa at each other's throats is pretty sad.

We will also not have T'Challa being friends with Reed or his... interesting relationship with Doom...

(I've always been fascinated by the relationship between T'Challa and Doom. Two kings who first appeared in the pages of the Fantastic Four.)

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed Asian actors tend to pop up more as non-white alternatives for Atlanteans, most likely because of the ability to play into the aquatic nature of Southeast Asian and Pacific Islander culture, like the choice of Jason Momoa for Aquaman. I remember Daniel Dae Kim was a popular fancast for a while that I was personally really into.

Latino still works though, and I can totally see Huerta in the role.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking: Wakanda Forever taking place during Endgame and Namor being involved makes sense. They can get away with T'Challa not being around and also exploit the whole underwater earthquake that Okoye dismissed so quickly. Also your nation being attacked by an underwater kingdom while your protector and king is dead makes for an interesting plot, doesn't it?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Thank you! :D
Definitely excited to stay up again to see the first episode tonight (as I did for the first two shows).

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No Spoilers...but for those that watched.. Thumbs up or down?

20180526173439-4111bac9.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
First episode of Loki was a blast. Maybe my only complaint is that its only 6 episodes, so hopefully they are all as good as this one was. Set tihngs up really well, Loki rocks as a main character (was there any doubt?) and there's a couple of really good funny moments in the episode. Really loving Marvels D+ output so far, makes me very excited for She Hulk and especially Moon Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.