• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You can move onto Gwen or Arana someone. That'd all be a super long way out.

And Ganke can be readily reinterpreted to be different, or they could give Peter's best friend to Miles. Like, I know changes from the source material are scary, but there are a million different ways to interpret these characters. Friggen Miles Morales on the PS5 made the Tinkerer one of Miles' oldest friends and we just rolled with it. The characters will be reinterpreted, reanalyzed, reshuffled, and rebooted for all eternity. We'll be okay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You could actually have Phin take Ganke's role early on, only to turn heel later.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why would I? If I'm a fan of the universe... why would I want any character to leave the MCU when its interconnected characters and continuity are some of its basic building blocks?

"A fan of the universe."

I don't think the film "universe" should be prioritized over the needs of the story and characters. And I think that is one of the fundamental flaws with the MCU Spider-Man and why it attached itself so heavily to Iron Man.

(I also can't see any universe where they would prioritize Araña as the franchise's leading Spider-Hero over rebooting.)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ganke is probably going to die in MCU Miles, seems like a trend that different supporting character of Miles died in any of Miles incarnation.

Mom died in comic
Dad died in game
Uncle died in animated movie
Ganke is soo going to die in MCU movie, lol

His uncle died in the comics too (Spider-Man's uncle always dies, lol). He and Miles' mom just got better, lol.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
"A fan of the universe."

I don't think the film "universe" should be prioritized over the needs of the story and characters. And I think that is one of the fundamental flaws with the MCU Spider-Man and why it attached itself so heavily to Iron Man.
This is a really uncharitable interpretation of my statement, and I think you're inherently wrong about this and are too close-minded about what Spider-Man is, was, and can be and will leave it at that.

You could actually have Phin take Ganke's role early on, only to turn heel later.
I liked Phin, but the Tinkerer is already in the MCU, sorry to say.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is a really uncharitable interpretation of my statement, and I think you're inherently wrong about this and are too close-minded about what Spider-Man is, was, and can be and will leave it at that.

My apologies. I didn't mean to insult.

As for your other point if I'm too close-minded, I wanted MCU Spider-Man to be more comics accurate after the Amazing films, which focused on a Peter obsessed with his biological dad. And we didn't get a more comics accurate Peter, and I was completely disappointed.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
8IcYXUq.png

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The second the deal ends, Sony is rebooting with a universe that has Peter, Miles, and Gwen. And they'll all share supporting characters and villains. So Peter will be dating the girl who named the band after herself that Gwen is a member of.

We all know it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're in the Marvel Cinematic Universe thread, so I'd hazard probably yes?

I'm legitimately curious. It looks like the deal between Marvel and Sony will continue. They're not going to keep Holland and co. around forever. Sure, they can do a Miles trilogy after that, but then what? Gwen? And where do they go after that?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm legitimately curious. It looks like the deal between Marvel and Sony will continue. They're not going to keep Holland and co. around forever. Sure, they can do a Miles trilogy after that, but then what? Gwen? And where do they go after that?
Keep going with Miles for as long as they will for Peter, similar to how Sam was passed the mantle of Captain America.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know how long it would take for people to be okay with MCU Spider-Man ending and Sony rebooting again. People threw a fit when the deal looked like it was over after FFH.
I mean, you're asking something that can't really be answered. Most people will say never but you're asking what they'll want decades from now, they might not even give a shit about MCU by then. The MCU might not exist or it might have been rebooted.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I hope the deal is settled to the point we can get a lot of Spidey's cast into MCU proper and Spidey can constantly hang out with the NY characters. Not a fan of the Venom movie and not looking forward to any more Sony live spin offs but Spiderverse is a great compensation for that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope the deal is settled to the point we can get a lot of Spidey's cast into MCU proper and Spidey can constantly hang out with the NY characters. Not a fan of the Venom movie and not looking forward to any more Sony live spin offs but Spiderverse is a great compensation for that.
It'd be great to have Norman be an overarching threat in the MCU (from getting tech from Sharon in Armor Wars to bank-rolling the Thunderbolts).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you're asking something that can't really be answered. Most people will say never but you're asking what they'll want decades from now, they might not even give a shit about MCU by then. The MCU might not exist or it might have been rebooted.

Sony isn't going to give up Spider-Man if they can help it. Eventually something is going to break.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Maybe but it won't be for a very long time.
Even with 75%, Sony currently gets money comparable to what they would get from Venom while letting Marvel Studios do most of the work. Sure, Sony could stand to get more money by doing it all themselves. But at this point, keeping the sharing arrangement with Marvel Studios going is basically guaranteed money.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to re-boot the MCU and right off the bat they have Spider-Man getting bit by a spider at a Stark Industries fair or something.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want Kindred as a villain in a future Spider-Man movie, and he's mad that Spider-Man keeps getting rebooted.

598017eb61e67a745035a5ab08024d8391b484d2r1-1041-1600v2_hq.jpg

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-verse is overrated and the other Sony movies are all inferior to the MCU films. Tom Holland's Spidey is the only one that matters until further notice.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to re-boot the MCU and right off the bat they have Spider-Man getting bit by a spider at a Stark Industries fair or something.
It's kinda funny how we have so little information on how Parker became Spider-Man in the MCU. "Spider-Man's here, everyone just deal with it." You'd think some scientist would say, "Wait a minute, didn't we make radioactive spiders? And now there's a Spider-Man? Am I losing my mind here?"

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-verse is overrated and the other Sony movies are all inferior to the MCU films. Tom Holland's Spidey is the only one that matters until further notice.

(Edit: This might be too mean, so I'll edit it out.)

This is still a rather embarrassing hot take.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda funny how we have so little information on how Parker became Spider-Man in the MCU. "Spider-Man's here, everyone just deal with it." You'd think some scientist would say, "Wait a minute, didn't we make radioactive spiders? And now there's a Spider-Man? Am I losing my mind here?"

We have so little information about anything related to MCU Spider-Man and his world, beyond wanting to impress Tony Stark.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Eventually, like RDJ and others, Holland will become too expensive. I'd expect he'll get another deal, maybe one that'll carry him through three films and assorted nonsense, but ultimately that's up in the air.

To be perfectly honest, if they continue the MCU Spider-Man I'm fine with that. If they reboot it and it's good, I'm fine with that. I honestly don't have a problem with most of the Spider-Man films. I dislike Maguire's Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 3 is a dull thud. I dislike Garfield's Peter, and Amazing 2 is heinous. I like Holland's Peter and Spider-Man, and he's gotten two solid films. If they continue, sure. If they reboot and do good, sure.

Life is long, Spider-Man will be rebooted and continued until the sun dies. I know you read comics. Occasionally, you have years of story you don't like and mostly, if I have that problem I just don't read the book and wait for things to change. (Another good example is the Way of the House Husband animated series, which is bad. So, I merely hope that they'll improve with a future adaptation and continue to enjoy the manga.)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eventually, like RDJ and others, Holland will become too expensive. I'd expect he'll get another deal, maybe one that'll carry him through three films and assorted nonsense, but ultimately that's up in the air.

To be perfectly honest, if they continue the MCU Spider-Man I'm fine with that. If they reboot it and it's good, I'm fine with that. I honestly don't have a problem with most of the Spider-Man films. I dislike Maguire's Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 3 is a dull thud. I dislike Garfield's Peter, and Amazing 2 is heinous. I like Holland's Peter and Spider-Man, and he's gotten two solid films. If they continue, sure. If they reboot and do good, sure.

Life is long, Spider-Man will be rebooted and continued until the sun dies. I know you read comics. Occasionally, you have years of story you don't like and mostly, if I have that problem I just don't read the book and wait for things to change. (Another good example is the Way of the House Husband animated series, which is bad. So, I merely hope that they'll improve with a future adaptation and continue to enjoy the manga.)

After two (soon to be three) films and numerous cameo appearances, I'm just ready to move on from MCU Spider-Man. I've ended up not really caring for this incarnation of Spider-Man, and am eager to see the franchise go in a new direction. Preferably one a little closer to the comics. I'd love a good gang war story where the Robertsons are prominently involved.

(The Robertsons are some of my favorite Spidey supporting characters, and I'm always a little disappointed when they get the shaft in adaptations.)

But it's looking like we'll be getting more of the same for the foreseeable future.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I don't really see Spider-Man going anywhere anytime soon. It's in Sony's best interest as currently Spider-Man gets a boost in viewership from it being connected to other MCU films. It's also in Marvel's best interest to keep it going as it's a popular and fan favourite character and is the only one they don't have ownership of.

Obviously, Tom Holland won't be playing the part forever but that's what makes the deal so fruitful, there are a thousand different Spider-people that can take up the mantle, be that Miles Morales, Gwen Stacy, or someone new.

Hell doesn't even need to be a Spider-person. Could have a franchise in the MCU based on a villain or anti-hero like Black Cat or whatever.

Much like the rest of the Marvel comics, Spider-Man has enough history to mine to keep it going for another 50 years. If it continues to be profitable, I don't really see it going anywhere. Then again, I thought this a couple of years ago and Sony still tried to get out of the deal. So, who knows? But its obvious most fans want it to continue and Far From Home showed that connecting to the MCU has its benefits.

Personally, I like MCU Spidey and find it a nice mix of Ultimate and 616 Spider-Man. I was a fan of both, a bit more of Ultimate during his younger years because young 616 Peter was a bit of a twerp at times.

I hope he doesn't go anywhere anytime soon, but its out of my control so there's not much I can do.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand not liking the MCU Spidey, because there are plenty of aspects of those movies that I think were mistakes and I wish could be tweaked. But the last thing I want to happen is for MCU Spidey to end so that we can get another reboot of Spider-Man. It's become such a tired story that this franchise has been rebooted back-to-back-to-back, to the point that Spiderverse was making jokes about it. I'd hate it if we suddenly had to deal with Sony kickstarting a whole new Spider-Man franchise in three years.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
"A fan of the universe."

(I also can't see any universe where they would prioritize Araña as the franchise's leading Spider-Hero over rebooting.)
This again?

Spidey as a character has ALWAYS been a fanboy of other heroes. And Marvel itself has always been about heroes living in a "real" world and comin into contact on a very regular basis.

In the context of the MCU, Spidey works incredibly well and has made for some incredible moments.
Spidey NEEDS to be in the MCU. He's part of a larger universe now and deeply stitched into it. To just pull him out would be a bad move.

Sony has shown already that (aside from Spider-verse) that they no longer have a grasp on the Spidey character. After Spidey 3 and the "Amazing" series, I have no faith in them.

Sorry, I will die on this hill.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This again?

Spidey as a character has ALWAYS been a fanboy of other heroes. And Marvel itself has always been about heroes living in a "real" world and comin into contact on a very regular basis.

In the context of the MCU, Spidey works incredibly well and has made for some incredible moments.
Spidey NEEDS to be in the MCU. He's part of a larger universe now and deeply stitched into it. To just pull him out would be a bad move.

Sony has shown already that (aside from Spider-verse) that they no longer have a grasp on the Spidey character. After Spidey 3 and the "Amazing" series, I have no faith in them.

amazing-spider-man-1-1.jpg

amazing-spider-man-1-2.jpg

Peter: Hire me. Let me show you how powerful I am. (Demonstrates how powerful he is.)

FF: We're a non-profit. And aren't you a criminal?

Peter: Well fuck you too, then.

I really wouldn't classify Peter as "always been a fanboy" of the other super heroes. The relationship between Peter and the FF definitely got better later on, but Teen Peter was a hotheaded jerk and that's definitely not how he's classified these days, particularly in the MCU.

As for the other stuff, I disagree. I don't think Peter NEEDS the other heroes. That's absolutely gross. Peter's his own character with his own world and plenty of Spider-Man releases have worked just fine where he was on his own.

Peter Parker is coded as a working class hero, and making him a Tony Stark fanboy was gross. Coding his villains as working class people motivated by Tony Stark screwing them over was gross. The entire subtext surrounding the MCU Spider-Man is fucking gross.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This again?

I'm of the same opinion to be honest. Aside from Spider Verse I dont have faith that Sony really "gets" Spidey anymore and I much prefer the MCU verison over the last few non Marvel Spidey appearances. Granted, I can see the complaints about Tony helping out maybe a bit too much with Peter's character development but with him dead now it leaves Peter with some great character growth opportunities. We'll see how the next movie handles that.

And really, I still liked the idea of Spidey looking up to Tony. Totally makes sense within the context of the universe (where before it was the F4 in the comics back in the day).

And I definitely dont want to see him ripped out of the MCU.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I enjoyed Spiderverse but I agree. It's no surprise that Tom and the MCU got Spiderman to new heights critically and financially. The 2 villains in the movies were also better than any previous Spidey villain imo and I liked Ock.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe just stop exaggerating. It makes you sound more wrong than you already are.

I only responded today because someone tried to call me out and claim that Peter was "always a fanboy" of other superheroes when he clearly wasn't.

I don't like the changes that came along with making Peter into a big Tony Stark fanboy in the MCU. I think it's gross. I think what it changes the subtext of Spider-Man to is gross. I dislike other changes as well.

The internet being what it is, it's hard to have discussions about the subtle details. And rather than people saying "that poster might have a point, but their over the top responses absolutely rub people the wrong way", I just get hit with "they're absolutely 100% wrong about everything Spider-Man", which ends up making the cycle repeat itself over and over again.

Believe it or not, there are things I actually like about these movies, and I certainly understand the appeal. The cast is charming. The tone is often whimsical, with a hint of danger (so we can have scenes like Peter and Vulture in the car where Vulture threatens Peter to back off or else). And the bits we see of Peter's world present a perfectly pleasant place that audiences want to see protected by Peter and the other heroes. (How this stuff is gonna work with the "hated and feared" subtext of the X-Men is definitely gonna be something Marvel will have to really work on, but that's a problem for another day and not a knock on these movies being made right now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.