Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I keep saying it, but this is insistence on looking at The MCU as a package deal is strange to me and, I think, a huge part of the current problem.

You should be able to watch the content you want to watch, ignore the content you don't, without the added exhaustion of thinking you have to keep up with all of it.

Because so many people are saying they're done after Endgame, but when you think about it, that sounds silly. Done with what, exactly? Superhero movies?

THANK YOU

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf Wandavision has a terribly slow start and doesnt really get going even until a few episodes in. I bounced off initially too and though it has it's moments I would never watch any of it again. Also I think most regular people could absolutely not give a fuck less about Vision and Wanda
Felt the completely opposite.

One of the most interesting ideas they had, with an very good hook, but it went all the drain when it turned into the bread'n'butter MCU schlock after the reveal.

Seriously, IIRC that scene where Wanda is just talking with Vision and then it cuts into an dead vision body before Wanda "resets the tape" was so good. This was before the reveal.

Another MCU show that had great premise was Loki, and was one of the most interesting one. Great character study into Loki as we know him, but then it turned into the usual MCU stuff since they were obliged to abandon this concept and introduce Kang to set up the next big saga.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The amount of people who insist that, unlike with right now, there was a clear plan and throughline in the Infinity Saga, and you knew what all those films were building toward and how everyone was excited about Thanos, really highlights just how many jumped on the bandwagon and binged those movies in the last year or two

I was there Gandalf, roughly 9 years ago.

Back when Iron Man was ruined forever with 3, back when Captain America sucked and there was no way to make him interesting because he was too much of a boy scout, back when there was no steaks and the characters never called the avengers to easily solve the individual movie plots, back when Thanos was a boring guy in a chair that was getting zero development.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Wow, Twitter and Reddit, truly the platforms of the common man

Yes, you're right, there was more than one insular online community who insisted for years that any follow-ups to GoT and Avatar were going to flop because the prior works were either so bad or so unmemorable to them that the rest of the world would obviously feel the same way. Clearly the actual general public disagreed! This place is a bubble. So is Twitter, so is reddit. Your work friends were convinced GoT had killed that franchise dead and that no one gave enough of a shit about Avatar to watch the sequel? Well guess what, they were wrong too.
I added these points too late.

The only difference is, people take the criticisms more personally here hence the corporate cheerleading and free PR from fans.

I can go to work, say phase 4 sucks, piss off one or two people, get into it with them, the difference is, it'll just happen once. Not every week.

But no, I don't know anyone offline that cared to argue Avatar 2's boxoffice. I hope to keep it that way.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I was there Gandalf, roughly 9 years ago.

Back when Iron Man was ruined forever with 3, back when Captain America sucked and there was no way to make him interesting because he was too much of a boy scout, back when there was no steaks and the characters never called the avengers to solve the individual movie plots, back when Thanos was a boring guy in a chair that was getting zero development.
Damn you just took me all the way back lol

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I think some people are jumping the gun. Not every MCU movie has been a major event, during the Infinity Saga it was basically the team up films, Black Panther & maybe Iron Man.

We're just going through the same growing pains as phase 1 & 2, where most of them were very loosely connected solo movies that were hit or miss.

Besides, No Way Home released a little over a year ago and was definitely an event movie and Kang Dynasty/Secret Wats will be too.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
I can only speak for myself, but my MCU viewing has scaled back quite a bit. I'll catch the new movies when I can, whether it's in the theater or at home, as opposed to an opening weekend show. That's more or less how I approached it in the times of the first two Avengers movies, so I guess I've just gone back to that. I may get hooked again as the overarching story builds up again, just not there yet.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if something like the multiverse was introduced in the time before Endgame they would have done so much more with it and made it way more interesting. We had 'Multiverse of Madness' and it was just so…plain? You have infinite concepts, realities, etc. you can do whatever you want with it, nothing is off limits. It's hard to make something like that as not interesting as they have done. There was just a lot more passion behind stuff before Endgame.

When I walked out of Endgame I was ready for more. I didn't expect to drop off the MCU. The quality of the output since then is what has turned me off. It has dropped off greatly. All discussion about the current state of the MCU should be starting there.
How I wish we had gotten Everything Everywhere All at Once instead of Multiverse of Madness...

I don't know how to explain, it just feels like the MCU is playing so safe that it ends up being boring. And sometimes we get an crazy interesting hook and idea only for it to be abandoned midway through to fit the overarching narrative.

Just sad I guess, really wished they took more chances with their concepts and ideas, let the creativy flow, don't be afraid of trying some new structure, don't be stuck to the status quo of the MCU phase. That kinda of stuff.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
I mean...a Doctor Strange movie made 950 million dollars and that was last year,Spooderman also made alot of money.I'm sure a good amount of people dipped after endgame but not a significant amount.Anything that Marvel loses after Endgame is on Marvel,the movies themselves are disappointing people.

Policy Chonk

Jul 9, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
It's fine to jump after the Infinity Saga, it's a good enough place to hang your hat up with the MCU, but everyone who I see saying this are saying it in the comments of posts for the MCU or in pages dedicated to the MCU, they're people who are still clearly watching or following in some way so clearly these people aren't just walking away and leaving it be

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that's somewhat me. I'll still watch the shows and movies but I'm not paying extra for them. I have Disney+ for my kids so only reason I still watch them currently. They're alright but I'm not going to the theaters to watch them anymore

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But I was stretching when I pointed out "holding onto comments for years", right.

I see you take a lot of issue with me being able to remember the conversations I had about the stuff I like.

I also remember the discussions about Heath Ledger as the Joker or the positive spin we comic fans tried to do on TASM1 as the best Spider-Man just because it had web shooters.

.... Should I just... stop remembering stuff?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...a Doctor Strange movie made 950 million dollars and that was last year,Spooderman also made alot of money.I'm sure a good amount of people dipped after endgame but not a significant amount.Anything that Marvel loses after Endgame is on Marvel,the movies themselves are disappointing people.
Both for me and my SO, No Way Home felt like the dessert or goodbye fanservice movie that we wanted from the MCU, since we loved the three iterations of modern Spider-man movies (maybe not Amazing Spiderman 2). Pretty sure that was the case for many more people.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I mostly stopped after Endgame. The only phase four thing I saw was the new Dr. Strange and thought it was really bad.

I think it was a lot easier for me to ignore the mediocrity in the MCU when I wanted to see where the story would go. Now that it's over, I'd rather just focus on movies that I actually find compelling.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love any negative discourse about the MCU, It definitely feels like an anecdotal comment based on correspondence from listeners plus the many people he must bump into who talk about filmS with him. But interesting to see if there's any demographic data to prove/disprove it

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how he can claim a whole generation, so I don't agree.

Marvel have failed to reach those heights but have released some great films like Spidey 3, Multiverse and Wakanda Forever. The rest were ok or worse (Thor 4 is an abomination). It doesn't help that they all have so many unresolved end-credits as well. Wanda Vision, Loki and Hawkeye were also all great.

I truly can't believe the RT score for Quantamania, this was supposed to be their most significant film since Endgame and it's just above 50% score, madness.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
FOMO got to me. There's just too much to watch, and if I can't watch it all, I might as well watch nothing. I realize it doesn't make any sense but hey. I don't give a shit anymore.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I see you take a lot of issue with me being able to remember the conversations I had about the stuff I like.

I also remember the discussions about Heath Ledger as the Joker or the positive spin we comic fans tried to do on TASM1 as the best Spider-Man because it had web shooters.

.... Should I just... stop remembering stuff?
But no this means you're overreacting because reasons. Really feels like dude wants us to come across as wound up when he seems to be the only one that is.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf Wandavision has a terribly slow start and doesnt really get going even until a few episodes in. I bounced off initially too and though it has it's moments I would never watch any of it again. Also I think most regular people could absolutely not give a fuck less about Vision and Wanda
The first couple episodes of Wandavison are the most intriguing.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't given too much of a shit since then.

but to be honest, that could change once X-Men and Fantastic Four start being introduced.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Quantumania had the tenth highest Thursday opening for an MCU film.

The sky isn't falling, y'all lol

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I think I'm one of these people. I'm still gonna check out Guardians and Ant Man, but I've seen almost nothing outside of Loki in the MCU since Endgame. I just don't feel the draw anymore in the same way.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Found them boring honestly. Overall the whole show was mid to me but has a couple great moments.
Wandavision gave us one of the best things out the MCU

Ev1OxbfWgAQS87B

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Meanwhile, Quantumania had the tenth highest Thursday opening for an MCU film.

The sky isn't falling, y'all lol

Let's stop for a moment there. Since the WOM isn't great it probably won't surpass 2, but still do fine. Ant-Man films don't have the best reputation and their BO is pretty weak even at the height of Endgame hype.

Also Ant-Man 2 is the worst Ant-Man film by a large...LARGE margin.

They'll never capture the same buildup or climax that the Infinity Saga did.

Yep. And that's fine, Star Wars won't ever have a ANH-ESB level of hype ever again.

Oct 22, 2020
Phase 4 didn't have a lot of new to it in the cinematic space. Shang-Chi was a success, but the Eternals wasn't - and then everything else was sequels or films starring well established characters. Feige focused on introducing new heroes in the D+ shows, and while I think in some narrative respects that was a good thing, I think it dulled the overall impact of these new characters. Even though some of the TV stuff has been good, the movies are still ultimately what gives the MCU forward momentum. Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight as movies instead of TV shows might have made Phase 4 feel a bit fresher.

I don't think enthusiasm has massively dipped or anything, but I think it's kind of undeniable that there's a bit of a lull. I do think people will get more jazzed once folks like Blade, F4, and (eventually) X-Men start showing up.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Last one I saw was Multiverse of Madness opening night and it just wasn't that good.

I'm going to see Ant-man tonight, but more as a thing to do because I need schlock to deal with walking out of my job. It's not something I'm looking for like I was NWH

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know that the data supports this claim at all. I'm sure it's true anecdotally, but everything is true anecdotally.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
The MCU definitely doesn't have the same pop cultural impact it used to have. Seems more like a routine to watch it now than an event.

Oct 28, 2017
It was the end for me. I've had no interest all in this next phase outside Spider-Man.

I really don't have much interest at all in the B team. Or that next level of characters after the A-listers.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
Both for me and my SO, No Way Home felt like the dessert or goodbye fanservice movie that we wanted from the MCU, since we loved the three iterations of modern Spider-man movies (maybe not Amazing Spiderman 2). Pretty sure that was the case for many more people.
Yeah but then you have movies like Captain Marvel that were a massive sucess and is a hero setup for the MCU post Endgame.
I think people who enjoyed that movie will be excited to see that character again in the sequel.
The MCU experiment naturally reached its conclusion for a storytelling perspective and hopping off on Far From Home,No Way Home or Endgame is perfect but i hardly believe that's where the majority of the audoence stopped.
Marvel might start losing audience tho,because of back to back middling movie reception but that's another issue

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Moon Knight and Werewolf by Night are two of my favorite things Marvel put out since Endgame because it actually felt nice to have stories that just focused on the new characters and the story they wanted to tell, instead of shoe-horning in 2 or 3 extra characters for the larger MCU or being filled with past references.

I've kinda lost interest in the movies, even the ones I've liked lately I haven't really cared about much.
Felt the completely opposite.

One of the most interesting ideas they had, with an very good hook, but it went all the drain when it turned into the bread'n'butter MCU schlock after the reveal.

Seriously, IIRC that scene where Wanda is just talking with Vision and then it cuts into an dead vision body before Wanda "resets the tape" was so good. This was before the reveal.
Yeah, my partner was enjoying watching the show (she liked the sitcom stuff, and the general mystery), but when it got to the episode set in the real world with totally new characters and going through their journey of being "Snapped" and "Blipped" back and ditching most of the mystery of what was happening half-way through the show, she completely lost interest.