psilex

Aug 3, 2020
I wonder if the Millennium Star or Game Guy will appear in the Mario Party 3 boards. Space Land already showed the boards lost some of their unique design as part of the unification of the games.

Flynn22

May 22, 2020
I wonder if the Millennium Star or Game Guy will appear in the Mario Party 3 boards. Space Land already showed the boards lost some of their unique design as part of the unification of the games.

I highly doubt it although I'd love Game Guy to come back. I think Toad, Toadette and Koopa are gonna be the hosts for all the boards.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they'll bring in the Millennium Star (he's just a host after all), but I could see Game Guy given it's an actual game mechanic.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda glad this is a new game and not DLC for super since we'd have to put up with all of super's annoying design otherwise.
Stars are 20 coins again, dice blocks go up to 10 again, the cutscenes are skippable and way faster overall, etc etc.

It does kinda suck that there's only 5 boards but all the original MP games came with 5 - 6 anyway. Purely content-wise this game is the same scale as the originals.
2 and 3 had 6, the original had 8.

The selection so far is decent but these last 2 are pretty important imo

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Ran out of things to do in the last one. Wish it was supported more. Had to make my own challenges. Just played 10 rounds as DK, but did not move from start. 0's and and +5 coins. Lol. Ugh.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
2 and 3 had 6, the original had 8.

The selection so far is decent but these last 2 are pretty important imo

I just went through all the classic games to get a count:

MP1 had 8 boards (most of them weren't very good)
MP5 had 7
MP2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 had 6 boards
MPDS had 5 boards

So yeah, looks like most of them did have 6. Feels like this one should've strived for 6 especially with it all being remade content.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

MP5 had 7
MPDS had 5 boards

So yeah, looks like most of them did have 6. Feels like this one should've strived for 6 especially with it all being remade content.
I'm getting the feeling NDcube isn't really much bigger than Hudson was to account for HD development.

Hopefully they do DLC this time around. It somehow feels like a better platform for it; they don't really need any minigames or anything, just boards. It feels more suited for a skeleton crew to work on than SMP did.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
This game has 100 mini games not in Super and 5 new boards with a completely different economy. Just because its visually similar I don't think it could have been a simple DLC expansion.

I think Nintendo probably figures the demographic for something like Mario Party will be more receptive to a new game than a large expansion for an existing game...

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
This is the Mario Party they should've released first and then learned what we liked about it to release a new version.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

MP5 had 7
MPDS had 5 boards

6 would have been a good number, both in terms of game size as well as giving us 2 per game.

As it currently stands one of the three 64 games is going to feel left out since there's no way to have an even distribution with only 5 boards.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
This is the Mario Party they should've released first and then learned what we liked about it to release a new version.
I think if they did that it would've been full of the annoying decisions like all the slow animations and potentially the weird coin values. At least this way it looks like we'll have a relatively uncompromised version of N64 Mario Party on Switch - and the fact they actually sped everything up raises my confidence in their next original entry. I think they're finally getting it.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
6 would have been a good number, both in terms of game size as well as giving us 2 per game.

As it currently stands one of the three 64 games is going to feel left out since there's no way to have an even distribution with only 5 boards.
I hope it's 2. I realize that game's beloved but the actual game mechanics of the boards just aren't very inspired imo. With the removal of 2's theming none of its boards are must-haves for me.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Thank God the coin economy is fixed. Between the low cost of everything and minigames giving out coins like candy it felt unearned buying something.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I caught some of the treehouse gameplay, are Stars 20 coins again?

Very nostalgic for these games, Day one :)

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I got really excited at the initial announcement. Thought it was going to be a collection of boards and mini-games from across the entire series. I was disappointed by end of the segment.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Aren't they similar (top 100 mini games)?
61Cc4pTCUVL.jpg

Milhouse

Oct 25, 2017
I caught some of the treehouse gameplay, are Stars 20 coins again?

Very nostalgic for these games, Day one :)
it appears so! I hope dice rolls go back to being 1-10... and that only the winner of mini games receiving coins... I want my brutal and random Mario Party back!!

Anyone know if dice and mini game coins are changed?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Did they... remove Daisy or make her unlockable? I can't spot her.
She might not have been included with this demo build of the game, and quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about her being excluded in the roster. She's been a mainstay since Mario Party 3 (with the exception of Mario Party Advance, but no one cares about that game).
The assets for the characters seem to be directly copied over from Super Mario Party. There's no way she's going to be excluded since it'll be so trivial to put her in.

Aren't they similar (top 100 mini games)?
61Cc4pTCUVL.jpg
This game is looking to be "The Top 100, But Actually Good" lol.

The Top 100 completely missed the mark by only having mini-games. It felt so shallow without the boards to back it up.

Milhouse

Oct 25, 2017
it appears so! I hope dice rolls go back to being 1-10... and that only the winner of mini games receiving coins... I want my brutal and random Mario Party back!!

Anyone know if dice and mini game coins are changed?

NVM... just watched some treehouse footage. Dice rolls go to 10 and only winners get coins from mini games!! Woohoo!

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

Flynn22

May 22, 2020
Did they... remove Daisy or make her unlockable? I can't spot her.

No way they're removing her, it would make no sense as they only have to port her model and animations from Super Mario Party, although it is weird that she wasn't seen in any single image.

I hope there are more surprises in the roster apart from Birdo (who is a nice veteran returning, btw), though. SPM had a solid roster which just a few odd exclusions (mainly Birdo and the Toads who were the hosts), and while I would not expect the same number of characters as there are no groups in this game, I'd like characters like Dry Bones and Diddy Kong returning. I was expecting some Pauline love too, but seems like that's gonna have to be left for Mario Golf.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
So glad I never wasted my money on Super Mario Party because now I don't feel ripped off by this. One or two additional boards would have been ideal, but the fact that it's classic boards, classic mini-games, and a corrected coin economy makes this an easy buy. I just hope they've fixed the Bonus Stars, too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the treehouse section but did they say anything about DLC plans for this one ? Could be the perfect MP game if they expand on boards over years.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It took them like 20 years but they are finally starting to bring these games online.

The classic stuff is way better than anything in Super Mario Party so this is going to be great.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
NVM... just watched some treehouse footage. Dice rolls go to 10 and only winners get coins from mini games!! Woohoo!

Nearly, 4 player games seem to be split as 10-3-2-0. With 1vs3 and 2v2 only giving coins to the winners.

If there is concerns on the economy, it comes from the shop and those lucky spaces. Lucky Spaces do seem a bit abundant and give out items and a fair bit of coins.

Here's a view of the shop as well.

uGSHw3c.png

This is the leader looking at the shop, so none of the lower place discounts involved here that some Mario Party games have. For comparison with MP2

Skeleton Key = 10 Coins
Mushroom (Double Dice Equivalent) = 10 Coins
Warp Block = 15 Coins
Chomp Call = No Equivalent in Mario Party 2, but assuming it works like it did in 4, then the closest comparison is the Lucky Lamp of 3 which is 10 coins
Golden Mushroom (Triple Dice Equivalent) = 20 Coins
Magic Lamp (Golden Pipe Equivalent) = 30 Coins.

So stuff is certainly a bit cheaper than their 2 counterparts.

It's actually fairly similar to the cost the items had in Mario Party 3, to pull that list here:

Skeleton Key = 5 Coins
Mushroom (Double Dice Equivalent) = 5 Coins
Warp Block = 5 Coins
Lucky Lamp (Chomp Call Equivalent Assumption) =10 Coins
Golden Mushroom (Triple Dice Equivalent) = 10 Coins
Magic Lamp (Golden Pipe Equivalent) = 20 Coins.

You are actually paying more for Warp Blocks and Lamps in this one compared to 3.

So I think it mainly comes down to how those Lucky Spaces work out for the games economy more than anything else.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I didn't really like Super Mario Party, so I'm very happy that this is the first Mario Party to look good since Mario Party 8. Even if there are only five boards, they are going to be exponentially better than the crappy ones in Super Mario Party anyway, so I don't mind this not being DLC honestly.

That said, really, remaking at least one board from 1-8 would've been nice. But the N64 era (plus 4) was the best in the series, so I'm okay with this. I just hope this sells well and encourages the next games following the template of the good, classic boards.

Wish Pauline was getting added to Mario Party finally, though. Especially since she's been in Kart, Tennis, and Golf now.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Since diddy Kong g is in super and they always do at least some new character even mario kart 7 had the queen bee and wiggler

Think Dixie or other kings are possible

They are in tour
Though they use paon models from barrel blast I think?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Mysteryland was the best tho

Nearly, 4 player games seem to be split as 10-3-2-0. With 1vs3 and 2v2 only giving coins to the winners.

If there is concerns on the economy, it comes from the shop and those lucky spaces. Lucky Spaces do seem a bit abundant and give out items and a fair bit of coins.

Here's a view of the shop as well.

uGSHw3c.png

This is the leader looking at the shop, so none of the lower place discounts involved here that some Mario Party games have. For comparison with MP2

Skeleton Key = 10 Coins
Mushroom (Double Dice Equivalent) = 10 Coins
Warp Block = 15 Coins
Chomp Call = No Equivalent in Mario Party 2, but assuming it works like it did in 4, then the closest comparison is the Lucky Lamp of 3 which is 10 coins
Golden Mushroom (Triple Dice Equivalent) = 20 Coins
Magic Lamp (Golden Pipe Equivalent) = 30 Coins.

So stuff is certainly a bit cheaper than their 2 counterparts.

It's actually fairly similar to the cost the items had in Mario Party 3, to pull that list here:

Skeleton Key = 5 Coins
Mushroom (Double Dice Equivalent) = 5 Coins
Warp Block = 5 Coins
Lucky Lamp (Chomp Call Equivalent Assumption) =10 Coins
Golden Mushroom (Triple Dice Equivalent) = 10 Coins
Magic Lamp (Golden Pipe Equivalent) = 20 Coins.

You are actually paying more for Warp Blocks and Lamps in this one compared to 3.

So I think it mainly comes down to how those Lucky Spaces work out for the games economy more than anything else.
wanna say 2/3 had the 10/3/2/0 split originally too. Plus battle mode split things up too

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
That last board is pretty good, but linear Mario Party boards with the star at the finish have just never been my favorite thing.

And don't get me wrong, the game is fun. Like I said, I think SMPs biggest strength is approachability, which actually is one of the most important aspects to be strong in for a good MP game imo.

So because of that, even though everyone always goes for the same strategy, even though we generally always play the Thwomp board 4 out of 5 times cause it's really the only "classic" Mario Party board in the game, and even though the game is still decided half the time by random bonus stars, we still have a good time playing the game with friends. I just don't think the gameplay is as revolutionary as you're implying, and the game is undoubtedly lacking in content. Wish so bad we could at least have one other board in the vein of Thwomp's for christs sake.

What's wrong with the bob omb map? I think that one is the best by far because it has the most interesting happening spaces.

I hope either Western Land or Spiny Desert are put in this Mario party!

Oct 27, 2017
The first MP I played was Super with my GF. We found the minigames pretty good but the boards were incredibly boring. The boards in partner mode were really good though! I was hoping for a new MP entirely focused on Partner Mode.

Then we played 9 on Wii (actually on Dolphin) and again, the minigames were good but we thought the car mechanic destroyed the competitiveness. We also tried 8 and the boards were cool (especially the Monopoly one, which was a sort of game-inside-a-game). Unfortunately, the game was very ugly and slower than the NDCube games (but I should add we played the PAL version, which was locked to 50hz for some reason).

So the content of this Mario Party will be 100% new for me. Should I get it? Do we know if they plan to add Partner Mode?

Paging Stopdoor since he seems to be the Era Mario Party Connoisseur.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the bob omb map? I think that one is the best by far because it has the most interesting happening spaces.

I hope either Western Land or Spiny Desert are put in this Mario party!

Bomb-Omb one is typically always that 1 out of 5 choice that's not Thwomp's. It's ok but too reliant on gimmicks.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
I didn't have time to watch the full treehouse presentation, how did it look? Is it closer in gameplay to the original 64 boards or SMP? I would love to get this but I felt pretty burned from SMP, at least this one has multiplayer at launch I suppose.