daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Box art!

E38OWLaVgAcJbOI

day one for me. This looks amazing!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Its kind of wild that folks will buy a product with the assumption that a company will add DLC. Nintendo never released a SMP road map for updates. You got what you paid for. Being upset that Nintendo isn't updating a 3 year old game with a ton of new content is definitely a choice lol.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I thought only Minigames from 1-3 were included? Definitely seeing Gamecube era ones.
So only the boards are from 1-3?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Did they announce there will be DLC? If not, how in the world is anyone confident we will get that here? We already have an example where DLC didn't transpire in a Mario Party game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its kind of wild that folks will buy a product with the assumption that a company will add DLC. Nintendo never released a SMP road map for updates. You got what you paid for. Being upset that Nintendo isn't updating a 3 year old game with a ton of new content is definitely a choice lol.
In the case of SMP it was a case of buying the game and getting burned after realizing just how little there was to it and wanting DLC afterwards. I don't think people went in expecting DLC out of the gate.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't have the assumption they would add DLC before buying it. I felt burned by the product after buying it and hoped they would expand on it in some form to alleviate that. They never did. So I'm not buying another 60$ Mario Party that seems to be following the same path of limited content with no potential updates.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In the case of SMP it was a case of buying the game and getting burned after realizing just how little there was to it and wanting DLC afterwards. I don't think people went in expecting DLC out of the gate.

People have prayed for DLC since it started to become a thing out of the gate tbh, the new one just made people a bit more bitter. Mario Party 10 OT was filled with confidence in DLC and honestly I think that game was worse for content than Super Mario Party because the standout Bowser Party mode didn't even support every board and Amiibo Party was a complete waste of effort purely for cross-promotion

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Needs Eternal Star, Chilly Waters, Waluigi Island, Pirate Land.
Man, almost all old boards were great.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Online play + 100 minigames means this is an insta-get for my family and friends. Though, its hard not to be disappointed in only 5 boards. I'm really hoping they release more as DLC but we all know the chances of that...

Oct 28, 2017
It's so strange they updated Super Mario Party with new online modes a few months ago then drop this entire game.

I sincerely doubt there will be more boards if SMP is anything to go by.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Initially this stuff kind of had an air of strategy to it, but the more you play the game the more you realize it's just as random as ever, and the golden pipe strategy is really the only way to go.

Some of these traits actually ended up working against strategic play in the long run. Such as the smaller boards making star placement even more randomly rewarding (oh wow it got put right by me and the next turn it got put right by me again thanks for the 2 free stars game, which happens all the time). I like the character dice blocks a lot, but it wasn't enough to change anything in the end and some blocks were clearly better than others.
Sure... I do appreciate how the team rethought Mario Party and made it feel less random the way they did, which is part of why I think it's the best game in the series. But I know you have a lot more experience playing the game than I do, so I'll take your word for it that it doesn't really translate to a less "random" experience overall.

Also, you're right right about the "lucky" star placement thing. That said, the board I have the most experience with is the last, unlockable board. There, the star location is fixed, and IIRC the store doesn't sell gold pipes. So I guess I've been somewhat shielded from some of those more cheap moments.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Is the 100 Minigames list the same as the 100 Minigames 3DS title? Curious.
And since the Pro Controller is supported (fuck you joycons), that means, Gamecube Controller automatically works too, doesnt it?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
So thrilled with this, diving back into the well of past mini-games allows them to make it basically all killer. I hope *this* game gets DLC, I'd happily pay for more old mini games in the future.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
would have liked the current MP systems (special dice, allies, less extreme coin distribution for minigames) with small tweaks in combination with these older boards & minigames rather than 'just' a "best of remaster".

Still excited for it though, even with the low number of boards.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So the boards so far -

- Peach's Birthday Cake from MP1
- Space Land from MP2
- Woody Woods from MP3

Hoping the last two are Spiny Desert and Chilly Waters from MP3. To be honest though with only 5 boards I don't even know if this is a go for me.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure... I do appreciate how the team rethought Mario Party and made it feel less random the way they did, which is part of why I think it's the best game in the series. But I know you have a lot more experience playing the game than I do, so I'll take your word for it that it doesn't really translate to a less "random" experience overall.

Also, you're right right about the "lucky" star placement thing. That said, the board I have the most experience with is the last, unlockable board. There, the star location is fixed, and IIRC the store doesn't sell gold pipes. So I guess I've been somewhat shielded from some of those more cheap moments.

That last board is pretty good, but linear Mario Party boards with the star at the finish have just never been my favorite thing.

And don't get me wrong, the game is fun. Like I said, I think SMPs biggest strength is approachability, which actually is one of the most important aspects to be strong in for a good MP game imo.

So because of that, even though everyone always goes for the same strategy, even though we generally always play the Thwomp board 4 out of 5 times cause it's really the only "classic" Mario Party board in the game, and even though the game is still decided half the time by random bonus stars, we still have a good time playing the game with friends. I just don't think the gameplay is as revolutionary as you're implying, and the game is undoubtedly lacking in content. Wish so bad we could at least have one other board in the vein of Thwomp's for christs sake.

Flynn22

May 22, 2020
I'm sure this started as DLC for Super Mario Party but eventually evolved to a new entry, and you know why? Because ahe minigames are played with buttons and, thus, they're compatible with controllers like the Pro, Switch Lite... It could not work as an expansion just because the rest of minigames would not be able to be played like that, so it would be a bit weird to give the option to play with the Pro controller to some minigames and not others. I'm happy it's a new game and maybe they can add a couple more boards as DLC this time.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So the boards so far -

- Peach's Birthday Cake from MP1
- Space Land from MP2
- Woody Woods from MP3

Hoping the last two are Spiny Desert and Chilly Waters from MP3. To be honest though with only 5 boards I don't even know if this is a go for me.
It'll probably be one more board from MP2 and MP3.

If I were to choose, it would be Horror Land and Waluigi Island (but honestly, you can't go wrong with any boards from MP3).

Flynn22

May 22, 2020
If I were to choose, it would be Horror Land and Waluigi Island (but honestly, you can't go wrong with any boards from MP3).

Horror Land is a must, so I hope we'll get it. Waluigi Island has pretty much the same gimmick as Space Land, so I'd say they'll go with a different option for the fifth board (hopefully either Yoshi's Tropical Island or Spiny Desert). It's a pity they didn't include 6 boards, 2 from each game. Maybe as DLC.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Since they can't design good maps in the new games, I'll take them remaking the good ones instead. Definitely interested in this.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was confused by this seeing we had a mario party recently. Wow its actually a whole new game. Thought DLC would have made more sense.
I've never really been invested in the series, so not too much to say. Was semi interested in the previous mario party till I learnt you had to play it docked, and considering I play switch 99% of the time Portable don't think I'd play much.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is the 100 Minigames list the same as the 100 Minigames 3DS title? Curious.
And since the Pro Controller is supported (fuck you joycons), that means, Gamecube Controller automatically works too, doesnt it?

Definitely not all of them but apparently a decent chunk are returning from Top 100. It seems like a lot of graphical overhaul though, not much of a port.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the whole segment, did they say anything about the controllers?

At the start of the Treehouse stream, they said that all games are button based (so players can play with Switch Lite, Pro Controller, etc). So it plays very differently to Super Mario Party (where there was a focus on motion control games).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm gonna get this but I'm a tad vexed that it isn't an expansion. Especially since they recently did the online update to SMP and it looks the same. I though they were just going to breath new life into SMP not make a new one lol.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Not sure why people expected this to be DLC when this is built from the ground up, and wouldn't be playable on Switch Lite or with a Pro Controller if it was added to SMP. It's just another mash up like Mario Party the 100.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
5 board is not an issue for me! GF, friends and I mostly enjoy playing the mini-games in the others mode, which we found lacking in SMP. I hope it's better this time!

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
So... it's safe advice to sell Super Mario Party and get this, right? SMP wasn't as big a deal in my house as I expected it to be. Joycon drift didn't help. I guess this can be played with regular controllers.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought only Minigames from 1-3 were included? Definitely seeing Gamecube era ones.
So only the boards are from 1-3?
I'm not familiar with the Top 100 selection, but I'm noticing way more from 1-3 than 4 onwards. I think there's a N64 focus, but with so much overlap between 1 and 2 they pulled from additional titles.
Cheers, thanks for the update.
To answer your original question, it works very well. One of the smoother online experiences from Nintendo.

Outside of the fact that someone disconnecting will end the game then and there without any way to continue it.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
So... it's safe advice to sell Super Mario Party and get this, right? SMP wasn't as big a deal in my house as I expected it to be. Joycon drift didn't help. I guess this can be played with regular controllers.
I personally play enough Mario Party to value the variety, but this looks to be pretty true to the original experience. If that would just replace SMP for you, then yeah.

Linkie3

Feb 8, 2019
I never played the N64 games (i played all the GC games) so the boards and minigames will be new for me. Also the online play with strangers makes it perfect for me, since i rarely can get a party together for MP.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
I'm kinda glad this is a new game and not DLC for super since we'd have to put up with all of super's annoying design otherwise.
Stars are 20 coins again, dice blocks go up to 10 again, the cutscenes are skippable and way faster overall, etc etc.

It does kinda suck that there's only 5 boards but all the original MP games came with 5 - 6 anyway. Purely content-wise this game is the same scale as the originals.