Orbulon

Nov 1, 2017
France
Didn't World Tour sell dreadfully ?

Cool announcement regardless. Mario Tennis Aces was very fun online.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
That looks a lot like Everybody's Golf, which means I'm going to enjoy it.

Day one for me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I highly doubt that last point, TMS sadly flopped hard on the switch, I think somewhere around 800,000 units shipped. I could see Golden Sun remaster getting at least a million sales if not more. There aren't a lot of RPGs like Golden Sun to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the Warioware games have sold better than Metroid games, should we stop having new Metroid games? Rhythm heaven and Retro's Donkey Kong sold better than Metroid Prime, should Retro only make Donkey Kong? All I want a second chance that isn't a late game poorly marketed and sold on a system that already has a successor announced shortly around when the game came out. Never mind NOA torpedoed the marketing, almost making me wonder if they were trying to make sure the game failed.
I personally prefer Wario Ware and Donkey Kong to Metroid so yeah, I'd be happy with the scenario you present.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Golden Sun salt in here is unreal lmao. Can't believe people are dismissing a new console Mario Golf as "just another Mario game" just because Camelot isn't making them a new Golden Sun.

It ain't happening guys, join us F-Zero and Punch-Out fans in the perpetual misery of knowing one of your favorite franchises is stuck in Nintendo hell

Because Mario Golf (and Tennis) has been around every single generation since the N64 days and all games are basically the same reharshed gameplay with small improvements. This is not like NBA 2K or FIFA where every year there's a team/roster update of real life players to justify it.

On the other hand Golden Sun is shafted for almost a decade ago. "Ah, but the last game bombed", not a problem, so have Metroid with Other M and Nintendo is still going on with the IP. Mario Golf never really was that massive seller some people are trying to paint it here, either, it's not like we're asking Bungie to work on a new Oni instead of Destiny.

It's okay if you like to play the same reharshed stuff over and over, but other people like to try something else instead. They're not wrong for wanting that.

I understand people want a new golden sun, but while the switch is host to a lot of great JRPGs, there's not a single quality 3D arcade golf game on it. Mario Golf is filling a way bigger void in the Switch library than another Golden Sun would, and to be frank it's kind of annoying that people come in here to write eulogy's to Golden Sun instead of just talking about the game actually being made.

And for people complaining it's "another" mario game, arcade golf games are not nearly as plentiful as they were in the past. Being tied to the Mario license helps games like this get made and make a great theme for a goofy golf game. I understand this may not be what people wanted Camelot to be made, but instead of mucking up a place to talk about a specific game to complain about what's not there, can you make a different thread to discuss Camelot on the whole and disappointment of no Golden Sun?

I love backseat mod and dismissiviness too.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't World Tour sell dreadfully ?

I don't think so..?
btw:

I enojyed Mario Tennis Aces story mode and post-launch support; I played a lot of it solo or with my son.
I honestly can't wait for this to arrive, to play it again both in single player/story mode and with my son.
I really think that, if the basic mechanics will be well implemented, a light-hearted story mode and good controls will make it a classic for our family spare time!

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would really recommend not getting hype for story mode. Looks extremely similar to Mario Tennis Aces which was very basic with the most barebones of RPG elements. Don't expect shit like the game boy games.
I agree with this. But I recently went back and played through Mario Golf on GBC and it's remarkably more barebones than I remember. It's a really fantastic 10/10 game, but not really much more than what was in Tennis Aces other than some cooler customization options. If Tennis Aces was a 5 hour game. Mario Golf on GBC was a 12 hour game at most.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I highly doubt that last point, TMS sadly flopped hard on the switch, I think somewhere around 800,000 units shipped. I could see Golden Sun remaster getting at least a million sales if not more. There aren't a lot of RPGs like Golden Sun to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the Warioware games have sold better than Metroid games, should we stop having new Metroid games? Rhythm heaven and Retro's Donkey Kong sold better than Metroid Prime, should Retro only make Donkey Kong? All I want a second chance that isn't a late game poorly marketed and sold on a system that already has a successor announced shortly around when the game came out. Never mind NOA torpedoed the marketing, almost making me wonder if they were trying to make sure the game failed.

Retro's Metroid games all sold a million or more, you can't throw out examples and ignore context.

Retro's games still have a good RoI, lots of copies sold and great brand expansion as far as quality/fans mindshare.

GS2, the game that flopped has none of that. So Prime 4 vs Donkey Kong 3 makes a strong argument, where as clearly GS3 over Mario Golf doesn't.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Very excited for this. Mario Golf was my most wanted announcement for the Nintendo Direct, and it happened. :)
Mario Golf: World Tour is my favorite entry (it surpassed the N64 game, which I thought would have been impossible), so if Super Rush has similar features (good unlockables, great customization, fun courses, great online), then I'm going to love this one. Can't wait to see more!

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It still boggles my mind that they never made one for the Wii.
Definitely weird that it was the only GameCube game that could use the "New Play Control" update, but didn't get it.

Because Mario Golf (and Tennis) has been around every single generation since the N64 days and all games are basically the same reharshed gameplay with small improvements.
This is not remotely true. Your argument is bad because you need to tear down a game that got up to #2 trending on Twitter yesterday, and that alot of people want. Also, the Mario Golf series is hands down one of the best arcade sports series of all time, especially in sales.

And...it's possible Golden Sun is in development right now! And...there is another game called Bravely Default II that is similar in many ways...except having the IP associated with it that you want. Are the Djinn really that important of a mechanic? What makes Golden Sun the game Nintendo should be spending time on? I'm sorry...it was a nice set of games, but I think you are overrating the critical and fan reception.

I think we all can agree that an arcade sports game like this is much cheaper and faster to make than a JRPG.

Last edited:

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I personally prefer Wario Ware and Donkey Kong to Metroid so yeah, I'd be happy with the scenario you present.
And Metroid by what is being said by others here Metroid is a dead franchise, especially if Nintendo had to outsource getting a remake made of a 2D game. Nintendo is wanting to breath life into it, all the Golden Sun fans want is for the same to be done for Golden Sun and for it to be on the Switch. Heck I think Monolith could have fun with the first two in remaking them, they have a great RPG legacy and heck tie in Golden Sun to the XenoMulti-Verse.
Retro's Metroid games all sold a million or more, you can't throw out examples and ignore context.

Retro's games still have a good RoI, lots of copies sold and great brand expansion as far as quality.

GS2, the game that flopped has none of that. So Prime 4 vs Donkey Kong 3 makes since where as clearly GS3 over Mario Golf doesn't.
Both Fusion and Zero Mission sold around and slightly less than Golden Sun 1 and Lost Age did. Dark Dawn was starting from at an uphill battle, if Prime 3 was a gamecube only game when the Wii was coming out in 6 months, I am pretty sure the game would've flopped. To be honest as well Metroid doesn't fit Nintendo's new design aesthetic that has been reinforced by Mario Odyssey and Breath of the wild. That aesthetic is of having all of the core abilities in the tutorial section of the game.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Definitely weird that it was the only GameCube game that could use the "New Play Control" update, but didn't get it.

This is not remotely true. Your argument is bad because you need to tear down a game that got up to #2 trending on Twitter yesterday, and that alot of people want. Also, the Mario Golf series is hands down one of the best arcade sports series of all time, especially in sales.

And...it's possible Golden Sun is in development right now! And...there is another game called Bravely Default II that is similar in many ways...except having the IP associated with it that you want. Are the Djinn really that important of a mechanic? What makes Golden Sun the game Nintendo should be spending time on? I'm sorry...it was a nice set of games, but I think you are overrating the critical and fan reception.

I think we all can agree that an arcade sports game like this is much cheaper and faster to make than a JRPG.

I mean, I liked the Wiimote controls on Pikmin 1 and 2, but I digress.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if you look at their games, it's obvious why the Wii didn't have any original games from them. It was 5 years between Mario Tennis: Power Tour in GBA and Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

Camelot worked with Capcom and developed We Love Golf on the Wii, which was an awesome golf game. I loved it. It was cool playing as generic characters cosplaying as Capcom characters. ha

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And Metroid by what is being said by others here Metroid is a dead franchise, especially if Nintendo had to outsource getting a remake made of a 2D game. Nintendo is wanting to breath life into it, all the Golden Sun fans want is for the same to be done for Golden Sun and for it to be on the Switch. Heck I think Monolith could have fun with the first two in remaking them, they have a great RPG legacy and heck tie in Golden Sun to the XenoMulti-Verse.

Both Fusion and Zero Mission sold around and slightly less than Golden Sun 1 and Lost Age did. Dark Dawn was starting from at an uphill battle, if Prime 3 was a gamecube only game when the Wii was coming out in 6 months, I am pretty sure the game would've flopped. To be honest as well Metroid doesn't fit Nintendo's new design aesthetic that has been reinforced by Mario Odyssey and Breath of the wild. That aesthetic is of having all of the core abilities in the tutorial section of the game.
Notice we haven't gotten a 2D Metroid since those games either, including a very well known canceled version of Metroid Dread.

Even Metroid Return of Samus went 3D.

Lastly Prime is the only First Person Shooter Nintendo has, one of the largest genre's in gaming...they have no need for GS3 when it's a potential money sink and they have several successful franchises in JRPGs.

One of my favorite games of all time is Mega Man Command Mission X, and I'd kill for a sequel...but it also makes clear sense why Capcom isn't doing it just as it does why Nintendo isn't doing GS3. There is a difference between wanting something, and then actually sticking your head in the sand and arguing for a company to spend millions on a game in a franchise/style that has a high likely hood of not being worth investing in.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Notice we haven't gotten a 2D Metroid since those games either, including a very well known canceled version of Metroid Dread.

Even Metroid Return of Samus went 3D.

Lastly Prime is the only First Person Shooter Nintendo has, one of the largest genre's in gaming...they have no need for GS3 when it's a potential money sink and they have several successful franchises in JRPGs.

One of my favorite games of all time is Mega Man Command Mission X, and I'd kill for a sequel...but it also makes clear sense why Capcom isn't doing it just as it does why Nintendo isn't doing GS3. There is a difference between wanting something, and then actually sticking your head in the sand and arguing for a company to spend millions on a game in a franchise/style that has a high likely hood of not being worth investing in.
I'm not wanting a Golden Sun 3 right now, I'd be happy with a remaster of the two GBA games packaged into one full game. Give the series a Samus Returns, if the remaster flops, then bury Golden Sun in the darkest hole, never to be talked about at Nintendo again.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Im actually excited for this game, hopefully the online works well.

I never got to play the old Mario golf rpg from Camelot, but I've heard awesome things about it!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not wanting a Golden Sun 3 right now, I'd be happy with a remaster of the two GBA games packaged into one full game. Give the series a Samus Returns, if the remaster flops, then bury Golden Sun in the darkest hole, never to be talked about at Nintendo again.
I don't think it's going to happen, but I hope you get it.

Capcom have repackaged the X franchise 4 times at this point and every single time not bothered with Command Mission, and I'd kill for a Remaster too, and I don't wish this fate on any fandom lol.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I worded that weird...what I meant was, all the GameCube games that could benefit from New Play Control (like Pikmin) were ported to the Wii except Mario Golf. But yeah, I agree that it was a great idea for Pikmin, Mario Tennis, and Metroid.

My assumption was that because the Wii had a Golf and Tennis game packed in, Camelot figured nobody would buy them?

I know they were working on Dark Dawn pretty hardcore at that point.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
That looks a lot like Everybody's Golf, which means I'm going to enjoy it.

Day one for me.
This sounds good to me, though how do Everybody's Golf differ from previous Mario Golfs? Fewer gimmicks?

I just want some casual golf with not too many gimmicks to fill that hole Albatross18 / Pangya left.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I don't think it's going to happen, but I hope you get it.

Capcom have repackaged the X franchise 4 times at this point and every single time not bothered with Command Mission, and I'd kill for a Remaster too, and I don't wish this fate onny fandom lol.
A think a Remaster of the two GBA games is an easier sell than a sequel to a series that hasn't seen a game in more than 10 years. My fault is liking dead game series like Mega Man Legends, Golden Sun, and 2D Metroid.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Oh, did previous Mario golf games have an expansion pass? If so, I'd be down for that. Going all in with this one!
Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS had DLC season pass and lots of online content, timed online tournaments, online leaderboards -- even Callaway sponsored content. I'm gonna post it here to build some hype:

1.png

osazEtR.png

6a0120a5464113970c01a73dae30f7970d-800wi.jpg

mario-golf-world-tour-dlc.jpg

DLC info: https://www.siliconera.com/mario-golf-world-tours-dlc-courses-detailed/

Last edited:

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Looking forward to seeing how they are handling the golf mechanics. It looks a bit different from recent entries with that power bar on the right side of the screen. Doesn't seem to be a 3 click system? Could be wrong though. Maybe they've adjusted the system.

Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS had DLC season pass and lots of online content, timed online tournaments, online leaderboards -- even Callaway sponsored content. I'm gonna post it here to build some hype:

1.png

osazEtR.png

6a0120a5464113970c01a73dae30f7970d-800wi.jpg

DLC info: https://www.siliconera.com/mario-golf-world-tours-dlc-courses-detailed/
Nice. Really hope we see something similar

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Speed Golf is looking ripe for some hilarious fuckery while playing with friends, going out of your way to wipe each other out. As long as it's got a bit more meat on it at the outset compared to Tennis Aces, it should do just fine.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
World Tour was probably the best Mario sports game so I'm hoping this is close to its quality and content.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just went back and checked my Mario Golf: World Tour 3DS stats.

I only ever won one online tournament which was the "Americas Driving Contest 12" on March 18, 2018:

333.64 yd drive, 207 players took part and I gained 18,063 coins for the win.

When visiting "Toad's Booth" my Great Shots show as:

Hole in One - 66
Albatross - 7
Eagle - 2023

I played this game a lot!

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the desire for fans to get another Golden Sun game, but it's kind of ridiculous to act like this is some kind of Federation Force situation. Mario Golf is a stellar series with a ton of fans who are very excited to finally get another "big screen" Mario Golf game.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It's okay if you like to play the same reharshed stuff over and over, but other people like to try something else instead. They're not wrong for wanting that.
Ill skip the rest because others have responded, but I never once said that there's anything wrong with wanting a new Golden Sun. I do think it's wrong to go in a thread for a different game by the developer and complain about the lack of Golden Sun 3. Also, it feels extremely dismissive and bad faith to say Super Rush is just a rehash, it's a totally new game where they specifically highlighted new modes and features yesterday. Just because it's not the game you wanted doesn't make it low effort you know.

Oct 27, 2017
Love Toadstool Tour, one of my favs all time. World Tour was nice too. Looking forward to this so much and happy its only 4 months away.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Nazgoth

May 17, 2018
Belgium
I was waiting for this one. I wasn't expecting something like speed golf and it looks amazing. I'm hoping for some more fun modes. Mario Tennis Aces was a bit underwhelming on that part. The courses they showed do look a bit to realistic for a Mario sports game. Maybe they show some more crazy ones at a later date.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A think a Remaster of the two GBA games is an easier sell than a sequel to a series that hasn't seen a game in more than 10 years. My fault is liking dead game series like Mega Man Legends, Golden Sun, and 2D Metroid.
Lol I hope your right.

Sides maybe I'll get lucky and if you can get a remaster maybe XCM isn't as impossible as I think.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I was waiting for this one. I wasn't expecting something like speed golf and it looks amazing. I'm hoping for some more fun modes. Mario Tennis Aces was a bit underwhelming on that part. The courses they showed do look a bit to realistic for a Mario sports game. Maybe they show some more crazy ones at a later date.
There's always a normal cup though that's a series staple too. Toad highlands(64/WT) is pretty plain
Toadhighlands1.PNG

ToadHighlands.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also we've only seen the opening area, a forest briefly, and the desert area(which is full of tons of stuff!)
image0.png

image0.png

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty hyped for this. Hopefully there's enough meaty content to keep you going for some time.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the video a few more times and I'm really worried about the swinging mechanics

I just wish the n64 controls would come back

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah just adding a bit more to the course visual discussion. Camelot Mario Sports games are no strangers to generic courts to kick things off. The Mushroom Kingdom and Bowser Badlands stuff wasn't until later on.

From Toadstool Tour:

"Lakitu Valley"
mario-golf-toadstool-tour-02.png

"Cheep Cheep Tournament"
MGTT_Cheep_Cheep_Falls.png

"Shifting Sands"
MGTT_Shifting_Sands.png

Easy to suspect this one'll be the same.

Now, that isn't to say you have to like how they're doing it this time, or you have to like it at all lol. (Personally really digging that mystical looking forest).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
find it crazy that Camelot of all companies have an engine that can produce such great visuals despite primarily only working with Nintendo. their engineers are quite talented. most other partners moved to third party toolkits