OP
OP
Pickman

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Update:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publi...n-Clearwater-stand-your-ground-case_170853729

Shooter charged with manslaughter in Clearwater stand your ground case

Prosecutors charged Michael Drejka, the man accused of killing Markeis McGlockton in a shooting that has reignited a debate around Florida's stand your ground law, with manslaughter Monday.

According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Drejka was taken into custody Monday morning. He is being booked into the Pinellas County Jail, where he will be held in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Drejka, 47, has avoided arrest since he shot 28-year-old McGlockton on July 19 because of the controversial self-defense law that eliminated one's duty to retreat before resorting to force.

Might get some semblance of justice for the family.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how someone who brandishes a weapon (this is a crime) isn't immediately arrested. Multiple people said Drejka waved a gun at them; he denies this, but admits having a gun in his car. How did the people know he had a gun in the car if he didn't brandish it? This is "Why'd I have the bowl, Bart? Why'd I have the bowl?" levels of detective work.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Good. Lock his trigger happy ass up.

South Park did it where Cartman made Token walk within a certain distance of a circle he drew just to shoot him and claim stand your ground. And JUST because he could.

States that have the law are:

Ah, most of the usual suspects - still backwards in almost every respect.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Good. Lock his trigger happy ass up.

Ah, most of the usual suspects - still backwards in almost every respect.
They all have variations on it and what it constitutes, though. Florida is a helluva lot more broad than, say, Texas. We actually require you to prove that there was a justification for it, even if it's your own property. It's literally just an extension of self-defense to be your home. It's the same reason the people who shot the assailant in Sutherland Springs weren't brought up on charges. This actually covers it fairly well:
https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/deadly-force-self-defense-in-texas/

The fact that this guy is being brought on manslaughter charges is a sign that maybe, just maybe, Florida is moving towards something more reasonable and less open to interpretation or bias. The only problem is how it gets interpreted as self-defense, considerign he was physically acted upon, but if it were more like Texas law he would have been brought on charges because it was incredibly needless.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is going to be one depressing fucking bump....

Edit: Well how about that.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Called him guilty as fuck earlier, glad common sense prevailed. Can't do that, CCW or not.

But this is not the correct application of the law as what the shooter did was not 'standing his ground' but rather murder. You can't shoot someone that is backing away and showing no further aggression. That's been well established in previous incidents that have gone to trial. There's a pretty good amount of time between the push, the shooter drawing, and the shooter firing. He should go to prison but won't because of the incorrect application of the law. If you identify that you are armed or draw down on someone and they are compliant/backing away, you can't shoot them because that's murder/manslaughter.

Someone wanna update the thread title?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good let him have all the time to think how fucking wrong his life was for doing this vile act, I remember this incident very vividly due to how mortified I think the child was.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
20 years, that's good long sentence at least.

Seemed like premeditated murder to me. He was looking to kill someone.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The quote from the dad is amazing. No hugging shit:

"In the Bible, it says in order to get into heaven, we must forgive those who trespass against us. At this point in my life, I am not there yet. And if it just so happens that the Lord chooses to take me before I come to terms with this, then I will see you in hell where you and I will finish this. Mark my words," his father, Michael McGlockton, told Drejka.

Oct 27, 2017

"In the Bible, it says in order to get into heaven, we must forgive those who trespass against us. At this point in my life, I am not there yet. And if it just so happens that the Lord chooses to take me before I come to terms with this, then I will see you in hell where you and I will finish this. Mark my words," his father, Michael McGlockton, told Drejka.
GOTDAMN

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
He should have walked into the dudes house and shot him to death. Woulda got less time and a hug.
Salt aside..

Tragic this entire thing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Wow now thats a response i can relate with