• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Permanents turning into other permanents via "becomes" has been a thing for awhile. Like lands "becoming" creatures.

ELD - Lovestruck Beast
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
EDkzjeTXUAIsRo1

Alright, "Welcome Home" isn't the mechanic name, it's the name of the sorcery. The mechanic is Adventure.

And now everyone is confused about the mechanic all over again, lol

Noble is a new creature type, and one that's been long coming.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, there goes my theory that you sacrifice the creature as part of casting the sorcery. I think that also debunks the graveyard theory. The flavor and implied synergy between Lovestruck Beast and Heart's Desire tells me that the Adventure is just something you can cast while the creature is on the battlefield. Maybe you can only cast it once to differentiate it from a normal activated ability?

Edit: Oh, here's an idea. Maybe you can cast the Adventure from your hand like a normal sorcery, or you can cast it while the creature is on the battlefield.

Edit 2: Okay, even better idea. It's effectively like a Fuse split card. You can cast the creature, you can cast the Adventure, or you can cast both.

Last edited:

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
New OT titles, what you think

|OT| We're going on an ADVENTURE!
|OT| The Neverending Story
|OT| We eatin'
|OT| Will and Rowan's Excellent Adventure
|OT| Take a look, it's in a book, a reading rainbow
|OT| Welcome to Flavortown!
|OT| Presenting: The Iron Chef Adventure
|OT| Knights, Thrones, Food, Oh My!
|OT| Masterpiece Theatre with Mark Rosewater
|OT| Rowan, Rowan, Rowan, Gently Down the Stream
|OT| There's mana on my arm already, Oko's spaghetti
|OT| Bookmark this thread for a great story!
|OT| Fantastic Feasts and Where To Find Them

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My guess here is that in addition to paying the Adventure cost, you have to discard a card too to activate the Adventure. I do want clarification on if this is an activated ability or just counted as a spell (and would therefore have all the same upsides and downsides of casting a spell).

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It could be like Grandeur. As long as you have one in play any further copies enable the sorcery/left side of the card.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah, it kinda sucks that the rules for Adventure aren't obvious on sight. I wonder if there'll be reminder text on the standard-art versions of these cards?
I feel like the idea of it acting like Fuse makes sense, but at that point couldn't they just bring back fuse? I guess with creatures that kinda justifies a new thing. Hard to know.

Also, I like the idea that food tokens read sac: gain 2 life or sac: put a +1 counter on a creature. Flavour wise, it's like eating it.

Edit: also I bet Adventures are counted as historic spells
oh and i hope they bring back sagas

Last edited:

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I can't imagine the effects are ever repeatable or you'd get a harem of beauties for the beast, or a whole extended family reunion of bears coming home to find goldylocks. I don't think it's from the graveyard because the beast's design seems to be that it can threaten to meet its own attacking requirement if it needs to. It's either a kicker during cast or yet another monstrous variant one off activation from the field and neither of those is interesting enough to warrant a new keyword let alone a new card layout. So what's the catch gonna be?

Funny that goldylocks dies if she eats the porridge aka destroys a food token, or that if it sees constructed play the lovestruck beast will probably rarely be lovestruck by a human and more often by a goblin or a llanowar elf or whatever. You've broken through my gruff exterior and shown me how to love, saproling token.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the idea of it acting like Fuse makes sense, but at that point couldn't they just bring back fuse? I guess with creatures that kinda justifies a new thing. Hard to know.

Fuse combines the effects of two possible spells into a single spell. You can't really fuse a creature and a sorcery, that doesn't work within the rules.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Witch's Cottage is cool. Can't wait to see the blue one where it enters to scry 2 and the red one which will probably make a non-flying creature not be able to block. I'm also calling the names Mermaid's Cove and Dragon's Cave.

My prediction for Adventure: If you cast it as a sorcery and it isn't countered, it goes back to your hand. If you cast it as a creature, that's it, it's now a creature. Adventure means nothing once it's on the battlefield. My thinking is casting the sorcery and THEN the creature tells the story. Casting just the creature allows you to have an earlier creature on the battlefield.

Sep 14, 2018
I see an Impulse that can get through Teferi, I can appreciate that, It looks a little like Ancestral Vision if you squint hard and imagine it is.

ELD - Faerie Vandal; Maraleaf Pixie; Eye Collector; Tome Raider; Rankle, Master of Pranks
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Tweet chain revealing faeries.

789c5c2b-3e51-4f6c-ac76-d276facf716f.jpg

e6d7f9c9-dd83-4684-a949-1c22f316138a.jpg

2b9bb2f3-a7c7-4e8f-ba39-44e6acd9240b.jpg

e04ad850-5801-4654-a388-f86be20a43bf.jpg

93c2c11d-dfc3-4ba9-8c0f-a98114090396.jpg

So faeries are in BUG. Appropriate.

Rankle is interesting. I do think Magic could use more symmetrical effects. Note that the choose wording means 0, 1, 2, or 3 choices.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
This James Ernest fellow has a wild imagination indeed. Is he perhaps the lead designer of this set?

Shuckle

Mar 30, 2018
What food are you guys gonna use for food tokens at the prerelease? I'll probably do some cookies I guess.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering when they'd do another cycle of monocolor lands with basic land types. Feels like it's been a while.

I laughed at the flavor text of the Little Mermaid card.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
A) A lot of colored artifacts we have up in here

B) Hard to get excited for Tome Raider when Cloudkin Seer was just a thing :P

ELD - Order of Midnight; Foulmire Knight; Syr Konrad, the Grim; Smitten Swordmaster

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hoau8ex5ikk31.png

So adventure cards are both cards, just in a strange order.

forfm7rdikk31.png
Syr_Konrad_the_Grim_EN1567585952833_original.png
c2pdmt4aikk31.png

Konrad is a damn mess
What we understand is you can either cast the spell then the creature later, or just cast the creature if you prefer

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Konrad is just word soup on that text box, my goodness. How did that one make it through?

ELD - Tournament Grounds; The Circle of Loyalty; Wintermoor Commander; Fireborn Knight
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

This gives insight into those knight designs.
* Adventures represent the creatures going out on adventures. Then you can cast them as they come back.
* Every color has an order of knights. They have a legendary creature at both rare and uncommon; Syr Konrad is the uncommon black knight.
* Knights are focused in red, white, and black. The white and black pair needed a common finisher, hence Smitten Swordmaster

unknown.png

Ashodin intensifies

unknown.png

The Round Table

image1.jpg

Interesting design, with it only gaining toughness. The flavor plays out well with the commander staying back as you build up forces and only joining the fight if needed.

image0.jpg

Devotion intensifies

Status
Not open for further replies.