• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 17, 2018
If you want to craft the promo planeswalkers (Teferi, Vraska and Ral), make sure you do it before Thursdays patch; after that you won't be able to anymore.

Wait what? I have to craft the promo ones or they are disappearing? Are you sure? I don't even know which ones are which. Can you provide a picture? Shit, that is three mythic rares lol.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't even know there's a code for the alt art planeswalkers
that link i posted shows all the masterpiece versions

Mar 17, 2018
i didn't even know there's a code for the alt art planeswalkers
that link i posted shows all the masterpiece versions

Well it appears with that that other art I was given the guys have an A on their card where the symbol is. All of mine are crafted, and the other ones are not crafted. So I am not sure what to think of this. Yes, the masterpiece versions of the three are all crafted. They have that A so maybe the code did this for me or I just got them through packs IDK. I will have to check up on this.

So I guess that code did this then already or something.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you were in the closed beta you got a code for one of each in an email. But whether or not you were in the closed beta you can use mythic wild cards to craft them until Thursday, so if you're looking to get them (or looking to have a play sets) craft them now while you still can.

Mar 17, 2018
If you were in the closed beta you got a code for one of each in an email. But whether or not you were in the closed beta you can use mythic wild cards to craft them until Thursday, so if you're looking to get them (or looking to have a play sets) craft them now while you still can.

Okay thanks. So it appears the code I got then crafted them for me correct? These three are signified with the A symbol on them. These would be the correct ones right?

I just thought it was alternate art, but it appears that the code actually unlocked them. I wasn't sure on all that.

Mar 17, 2018
yep, the ones with A symbol
Okay great. Well credit very much to the user that gave me this code then. I did thank him in conversation, but I did not know it actually gave me the mythic rares. It was Subvertedtrope who was nice enough to give me that code. That was really swell of you. Also credit for the sealed code too. A lot of nice people on these forums.

Also, anyone new probably needs to be reminded to use PlayRavnica for the free three packs of cards!

Last edited:

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
The point is that if you want a set of four of each of the full-art cards, that option is about to go away. You'll still be able to craft the normal versions of those planeswalkers, but you won't be able to get any more of the full-art ones.

Mar 17, 2018
The point is that if you want a set of four of each of the full-art cards, that option is about to go away. You'll still be able to craft the normal versions of those planeswalkers, but you won't be able to get any more of the full-art ones.

Oh jesus all four of them? Haha now that is a bit crazy. I don't even have that many mythics left so.... plus I don't think I need to use that many PWs in any deck I will be crafting.

I wonder if this will come back though. Seems weird to take away options like this when it could be monetized.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
I was reading about this game and it sounds like only standard legal sets will be available? So what happens when cards you bought rotate out of standard?

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
Oh jesus all four of them?

There are three.

Ral, Izzet Viceroy
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
Vraska, Golgari Queen

You were given one of each by redeeming the code, so if you want a full set, that's nine Mythic Wildcards you've got to spend. Just in case you haven't seen them, this is how those cards will look after the Thursday update:

OjOoOBl.jpg

I was reading about this game and it sounds like only standard legal sets will be available? So what happens when cards you bought rotate out of standard?

They are planning to implement formats that support cards that have rotated out of Standard. It's very unlikely that Arena will ever support a full "Modern" format, but at the very least, an "Arena Modern" will definitely exist.

Mar 17, 2018
There are three.

Ral, Izzet Viceroy
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
Vraska, Golgari Queen

You were given one of each by redeeming the code, so if you want a full set, that's nine Mythic Wildcards you've got to spend. Just in case you haven't seen them, this is how those cards will look after the Thursday update:

OjOoOBl.jpg

They are planning to implement formats that support cards that have rotated out of Standard. It's very unlikely that Arena will ever support a full "Modern" format, but at the very least, an "Arena Modern" will definitely exist.

I think I will just stick with one a piece. 9 mythics is insane lol. I only have 7 left right now, and I kinda wanted to save my last 12K gems for whatever else.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this thread blew up while I was gone today. I'll just say briefly about the sealed thing:

Different people enjoy different formats. I may not always understand the love for certain formats, but I try to acknowledge them. I REALLY like limited sealed/draft formats in particular though. I am interested in them to the point where I ported Magic's 2-player Winchester draft to Star Wars Destiny and created an automated multi-format draft mod on Tabletop Simulator that became the de facto standard mod. I made my own pauper Destiny cube. I played arena occasionally in Hearthstone even though I'm awful at it.

So I would LOVE to try sealed at least once in Magic Arena, but not enough that I want to spend real money on it let alone $10. Do you get to keep the cards like real life sealed? I like that you may find a use for less-powerful cards, and you have to work within constraints.

I'm also thinking I will try draft in Magic Arena at least once, but 5000 gold is a lot since I've heard the 2019 standard cards are some of the weakest you can get.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy I am already getting sick of Risk Factor. Why they thought this thing needed jump start is beyond me. Fits neatly in any boros deck, is a nightmare in a mono red burn and basically carries izzet on it's back. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go up in price in physical standard. I'm about to make me a set and bullshit my way through competitive for easy gold.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of this, here are my super new player opinions from the 3 I've gotten post reset:

Chaos and Mayhem (red/black): Good
Auras of Majesty (white/green): Bad
Eternal Thirst (white/black): Good

Chaos and Mayhem:

10x Swamp
10x Mountain
4x Cinder Barrens
1x Dragonskull Summit

3x Shock
3x Doomed Dissenter
2x Reassembling Skeleton
3x Goblin Instigator
2x Swab Goblin
3x Murder
3x Ravenous Harpy
4x Act of Treason
2x Blood Divination
1x Demon of Catastrophe
1x Gravedigger
1x Goblin Trashmaster
1x Rekindling Phoenix
3x Brawl-Bash Ogre
1x Open the Graves
1x Siege-Gang Commander
1x Gravewaker

If people are interested I'll type up the other two decks I have tonight.
Following up with the second deck I have:

Auras of Majesty (white/green):

11x Plains
9x Forest
4x Tranquil Expanse
1x Sunpetal Grove

3x Novice Knight
2x Daybreak Chaplain
3x Knight's Pledge
2x Greenwood Sentinel
1x Thorn Lieutenant
1x Siegehorn Ceratops
1x Danitha Capashen, Paragon
1x History of Benalia
3x Luminous Bonds
3x Oakenform
3x Satyr Enchanter
1x Ajani's Last Stand
3x Hieromancer's Cage
1x On Serra's Wings
1x Shalai, Voice of Plenty
3x Druid of Horns
2x Knightly Valor
1x Prodigious Growth

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the third and final (for now) deck I have.

Eternal Thirst (black/white):

10x Plains
10x Swamp
4x Forsaken Sancturary
1x Isolated Chapel

2x Ajani's Welcome
2x Moment of Triumph
2x Nightmare's Thirst
3x Ajani's Pridemate
3x Bishop's Soldier
1x Paladin of Atonement
2x Legion Lieutenant
2x Inspiring Cleric
1x Resplendent Angel
3x Murder
3x Skymarch Bloodletter
1x Leonin Warleader
1x Sanctum Seeker
1x Vraska's Contempt
3x Call to the Feast
1x Herald of Faith
1x Champion of Dusk
2x Epicure of Blood
1x Vampire Sovereign

Oct 28, 2017
What's funny is that people say you don't just jam in creatures, but every single Sealed match I have played in this version, and most in Duels as well, comes down to 4 or 5 creatures staring at each other until one guy kills the best creature on the other side. Sealed has such simplistic gameplay specifically, objectively, because your card pool is hideously small. You literally don't have many spells to cast, you have very few interactive spells, and altogether most Sealed matches come down to who cast the best creature first. While there is more to Sealed matches, there really isn't much more. I've played Magic for 15 plus years going on 20. Sealed is the most simplistic and redundant mode in Magic I have ever played.

And no one here has done anything to justify their logic in defending their position versus the other modes. Until you can produce that logic you fail. You don't just get to say oh man 4 other people here agree Sealed is awesome you are wrong. That is not the point. I don't care if you think Sealed is awesome.

Right now it is a very expensive mode. And beyond that it is one of the most simple Magic modes out there.

So you have created an argument where only your framework is valid. You've predetermined what the terminology is and have allowed no one any space to enunciate their own framework and perspective. You've attempted to use belligerence and aggressive to push your point forward and have made zero concessions towards others.

As for your argument of simplicity, you have to be more precise: you value precision of execution in complex decision trees during gameplay as opposed to the adaptability required for play in a more hostile and unpredictable environment.

Your argument only holds valid if there is a world where no people who are more skilled in unpredictable circumstances as opposed to controlled circumstances exist. That's patently false; human aptitude exhibits enormous statistical variance.

Your emotion stems from you wanting others to prefer the format you deem yourself superior at, and wanting your own skills in that format to be considered more valuable than the skills of those who may excel in an unpredictable card environment.

Many people believe that constructed is ' simplistic and redundant' as well. That it emphasizes narrow bars of efficiency and predictability that actually increase the variance of outcome due to luck.

If both players card pools are infinitely strong the effects of shuffle rng and play/go is actually far more significant. In a limited card environment even if your pool is randomized, barring enormous outliers, all players cards will contain inconsistencies that present more opportunities for back and forth play.

It's why it's so stressful. You can't have five thousand reps and have seen every single possible card interaction with every possible opposing card interaction. You are forced into an uncomfortable situation with many imperfect plays.

It's perfectly valid to believe those skills are less meaningful than the skills of working the metagame. But they are both skills that can be improved and some people may have better aptitude for than others. What more, your aggressive tone leaves a lot to be desired and is not conducive to general self improvement. It definitely weakens the standing of your argument.

It is, however, expensive. That's definitely the point.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
you don't have to list them, they're all here
http://magicarena.wikia.com/wiki/New_Player_Experience

keep in mind that whichever deck you 1st get pretty much decides the remaining 4 decks you will receive, that's the current popular theory (it happens in both my brother and my case)
my 1st deck was RG dinos and the rest i got BG saprolings, UB pirates, UW artifacts, and yesterday RW aggro
https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena...h_npe_decks_youll_get_can_be_predicted_kinda/
Darn, I definitely wanted to try the saproling deck, so it sounds like it will be pretty time-consuming to grind up to it the slow way.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
you're actually not getting the saprolings deck lol
this is your path
Rakdos -> Selesnya -> Orzhov -> Simic -> Izzet

official word now is that we will only get 5 of these decks (out of 10 total, in closed beta you can get all 10 decks), so there's quite a lot of complaints right now on reddit and the official mtga forums

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
you don't have to list them, they're all here
http://magicarena.wikia.com/wiki/New_Player_Experience

keep in mind that whichever deck you 1st get pretty much decides the remaining 4 decks you will receive, that's the current popular theory (it happens in both my brother and my case)
my 1st deck was RG dinos and the rest i got BG saprolings, UB pirates, UW artifacts, and yesterday RW aggro
https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena...h_npe_decks_youll_get_can_be_predicted_kinda/
Missed a day's unlock, but your first 4 match mine, so I guess I know what I'm getting tomorrow...

(Dang, was kind of hoping for Merfolk, but oh well.)

Edit: And just to specify, I'm okay with the whole "only get 5 out of 10" thing, but it does feel pretty lame that you don't get to pick and choose at all. Like, if the option was there Merfolk probably would've been what I jumped on first because I find them neat, but thanks to random chance, looks like I'll have to build them the slow way. Well, and the other problem being what seems to be a pretty hefty power difference between the things. Like, that Saproling deck killed, while that U/W Artifact died horribly many times even after modification.

Sep 14, 2018
I'm actually thinking about working toward something like this, though I was thinking red might be preferable so that you can get Aurelia. Right now I'm just burning onward toward a mono white Angel deck, though I realized I might have gone for a deck with far too many Mythics after I started spending wildcards towards it.

Oops I forgot about her, I even opened a pair, thanks for reminding me I already put her in and she's such a heavy lifter, especially when she has hexproof, lifelink, vigilance and trample lol. Love me some angels.

Oct 25, 2017
you're actually not getting the saprolings deck lol
this is your path
Rakdos -> Selesnya -> Orzhov -> Simic -> Izzet

official word now is that we will only get 5 of these decks (out of 10 total, in closed beta you can get all 10 decks), so there's quite a lot of complaints right now on reddit and the official mtga forums
That's what I mean -- I'm sad because I WANTED to try it, but since I'm never getting it, I'll have to grind out enough wildcards and packs to eventually build it F2P style, which will take forever.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i don't even mind taking a longer time as long as they still give us the rest
maybe make it a weekly quest or something, in closed beta they give us the decks every few days~1 week if i wasn't mistaken

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this thread blew up while I was gone today. I'll just say briefly about the sealed thing:

Different people enjoy different formats. I may not always understand the love for certain formats, but I try to acknowledge them. I REALLY like limited sealed/draft formats in particular though. I am interested in them to the point where I ported Magic's 2-player Winchester draft to Star Wars Destiny and created an automated multi-format draft mod on Tabletop Simulator that became the de facto standard mod. I made my own pauper Destiny cube. I played arena occasionally in Hearthstone even though I'm awful at it.

So I would LOVE to try sealed at least once in Magic Arena, but not enough that I want to spend real money on it let alone $10. Do you get to keep the cards like real life sealed? I like that you may find a use for less-powerful cards, and you have to work within constraints.

I'm also thinking I will try draft in Magic Arena at least once, but 5000 gold is a lot since I've heard the 2019 standard cards are some of the weakest you can get.
The format in quick draft changes and will eventually be Dominaria again which is easily the best format currently in the game.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Magic noob I must say that control oriented decks can be seriously boring to fight in this game, especially when playing with the shoddy starter decks the game gives you. Spend like half an hour playing someone with a blue red deck that did virtually nothing but counterspells and dmg spells, while protecting a single creature card that spawned a 1/1 creature everytime an instant spell was cast. I don't have an issue with decks like that when playing someone in real life, since you have the social element there. But in an anonymous matchmaking playlist without any meaningful form of social interaction, that's just very unfun.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished getting all the free decks I assume the game will give me, I didn't get the Blue/Green one but the ones I got seem fine.

I'm mixing it up between the free decks and the Goblin one I'm building. I'll try to make other decks later on.

Edit: I was weak and got the 5 dollar deal, got 5 Rare wildcards out of it and my Goblin deck is so much better now.

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I downloaded yesterday, first time I've ever played Magic. I did the tutorial and some matches and feel a bit comfortable with what's going on.

But is there a deck colour that's better for beginners? Or are they all about the same? So far I've been using the Red dragon deck they give you.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I downloaded yesterday, first time I've ever played Magic. I did the tutorial and some matches and feel a bit comfortable with what's going on.

But is there a deck colour that's better for beginners? Or are they all about the same? So far I've been using the Red dragon deck they give you.
Red and green tend to be the easiest colors to play at lower levels. After that, I'd say white is also relatively simple.

Mar 17, 2018
So you have created an argument where only your framework is valid. You've predetermined what the terminology is and have allowed no one any space to enunciate their own framework and perspective. You've attempted to use belligerence and aggressive to push your point forward and have made zero concessions towards others.

As for your argument of simplicity, you have to be more precise: you value precision of execution in complex decision trees during gameplay as opposed to the adaptability required for play in a more hostile and unpredictable environment.

Your argument only holds valid if there is a world where no people who are more skilled in unpredictable circumstances as opposed to controlled circumstances exist. That's patently false; human aptitude exhibits enormous statistical variance.

Your emotion stems from you wanting others to prefer the format you deem yourself superior at, and wanting your own skills in that format to be considered more valuable than the skills of those who may excel in an unpredictable card environment.

Many people believe that constructed is ' simplistic and redundant' as well. That it emphasizes narrow bars of efficiency and predictability that actually increase the variance of outcome due to luck.

If both players card pools are infinitely strong the effects of shuffle rng and play/go is actually far more significant. In a limited card environment even if your pool is randomized, barring enormous outliers, all players cards will contain inconsistencies that present more opportunities for back and forth play.

It's why it's so stressful. You can't have five thousand reps and have seen every single possible card interaction with every possible opposing card interaction. You are forced into an uncomfortable situation with many imperfect plays.

It's perfectly valid to believe those skills are less meaningful than the skills of working the metagame. But they are both skills that can be improved and some people may have better aptitude for than others. What more, your aggressive tone leaves a lot to be desired and is not conducive to general self improvement. It definitely weakens the standing of your argument.

It is, however, expensive. That's definitely the point.

While I don't disagree with many of your points, the idea that you can simplify standard to some predisposed meta where high-tier cards are as simplistic, or near to, as the system outlined in Sealed is not valid going back years to the decks that are capable of winning. These decks are objectively more complex, and the spells cast, by number, duration, et cetera, are far more prevalent. By its very nature Sealed limits spells, interaction, differentiation, et cetera.

I outlined the salient aspects that make Sealed more simplistic, and true, these aspects do not equate to a full examination of all traits and skills required for Sealed play, but they do highlight a drastic difference in complexity, and they also show through various means the nature of Sealed play that can and often does result in redundant skill level required to win.

I can also make plenty of anecdotal claims, empirical claims, et cetera, based on the games I have played and the games I seen played. I did actually give concession to the people that brought up points. You seem to be under the idea that many people brought up points at all. This is not the case. Only one person even bothered to write anything past a paragraph, and most of it was dismissive tripe.

There is far less variation in Sealed, and topdecking is a big problem with the mode as opposed to being more in control of your deck for each card. I am not maintaining that certain sectors of Standard cannot become redundant, but that overall its characteristics require far more skill to achieve consistent results. I have to go, and this was typed fast, so I will have to respond when I get back.

But this: Your emotion stems from you wanting others to prefer the format you deem yourself superior at, and wanting your own skills in that format to be considered more valuable than the skills of those who may excel in an unpredictable card environment.

This is just not true, and it ignores everything I have said about Sealed to grasp at some reasoning behind emotion signified in my posts, which has nothing to do with my logical viewpoint on Sealed. Yes, I do hold Standard skills above Sealed skills, but that has nothing to do with the innate characteristics of Sealed as a limited and limiting format.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Having read you guys' discussion and considered it, I'd say I agree that sealed is certainly more simplistic and generally easier as it does not require nearly as much knowledge of the game as constructed or even draft require. In sealed, the best strategy is to find your bombs and then ensure you can build a deck around them. There's of course some decision-making to be made, and sometimes you can't use your best cards, but anyone who's been playing for a bit of time and generally understands how sealed works shouldn't have much trouble making a competent deck with their cards. That's because there often aren't a ton of decisions to make since the pool of cards is so small and it's completely uncurated (unlike draft). You might get to choose between a control and aggro spell when cutting cards, but you'll never have the opportunity to pull an early Murmuring Mystic and then focusing on finding synergetic surveil cards -- you simply play what you get.

I think erragal's mistake is to focus on skill. You said potentialtodisplease created a scenario in which he must be right and ignored that he'll be playing against skilled and unpredictable players. This would be true if he argued that card games as a whole are simple and lacking in strategy, but he did not. In every type of game in Magic, and in pretty much any TCG, you will face players who are strategic and unpredictable. This is in no way unique to sealed and it can't be used to argue that sealed is not relatively simple.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Launching into open beta without the ability to do private matches is some mind boggling shit

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play much on PC.

But isn't that what a BETA is by definition?

A not completed product that they are still adding features to, presumably until it fully launches?

Technically yes, but it previously was on closed beta, when you go open beta you're supposed to be closer to the finishde product and the point of opening the beta is getting a new influx of players, so it's a feature people would expect at this point of the beta.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait I second, I got 2 more Ral and Vraskas through packs and crafting.

Does this mean that I'm going to get the full art card for all 3 of them?

Oct 28, 2017
I think erragal's mistake is to focus on skill. You said potentialtodisplease created a scenario in which he must be right and ignored that he'll be playing against skilled and unpredictable players. This would be true if he argued that card games as a whole are simple and lacking in strategy, but he did not. In every type of game in Magic, and in pretty much any TCG, you will face players who are strategic and unpredictable. This is in no way unique to sealed and it can't be used to argue that sealed is not relatively simple.

Are you refuting the idea that there is a skill in adaptation to an unpredictable environment? You haven't made any attempt to contradict that assertion at all.

Again, you use the word simple without establishing the context. Constructed deck building has the illusion of ' complexity' but in real world terms only a small subset of the cards are playable and even fewer are playable together. You're overvaluing having control over your environment as being the default, as opposed to an advantage.

When people suggest sealed is a more pure form of a game they are establishing that they value the way sealed resembles real life: you have no control over your starting circumstances. You have to make the best of your ' hand that was dealt you'.

To assert that there is no differentiation in player skill between those that excel at this process and those that fail often is unsubstantiated and you've provided zero information to suggest otherwise.

While I don't disagree with many of your points, the idea that you can simplify standard to some predisposed meta where high-tier cards are as simplistic, or near to, as the system outlined in Sealed is not valid going back years to the decks that are capable of winning. These decks are objectively more complex, and the spells cast, by number, duration, et cetera, are far more prevalent. By its very nature Sealed limits spells, interaction, differentiation, et cetera.

Yes, I do hold Standard skills above Sealed skills, but that has nothing to do with the innate characteristics of Sealed as a limited and limiting format.

Objectively more complex by which criteria? Limited formats utilize a more diverse card pool, restrict your resources, and require you to cede control of your environment. Again, it very heavily comes down to which skillset you value. The word objective is simply not valid...if I consider the ability to adapt and make the best of a worst situation a more complex mental task than the ability to memorize and sift through a larger card set and identify efficiencies/practice heavily with that card pool...from my perspective it may be more complex. I truly believe you are over valuing the ' raw numbers ' of cards available in the standard pool and not being honest as to how few are actually competitively viable. It also seems like you're ignoring the advantage practice provides to the human brain at making good decisions with a given card pool, thus ' simplifying' the execution of a pre built deck.

I actually noticed this mentality very heavily when KeyForge was announced. There was some rather emotional backlash I saw regarding the lack of deck building...and it seemed strange to me. There seem to be a certain player psychographic that heavily values deck building as the predominant skillset in card games and doesn't care for adaptability being the premiere skill.

Oct 28, 2017
Launching into open beta without the ability to do private matches is some mind boggling shit

My cynical mind suspects it never happens. These games heavily depend on fast queues of all matchmaking levels to remain sticky to the player base. That's why they keep the play modes sparse and don't allow for private games...the people that play alone + competitively are the most likely to spend the most money. People that play in groups amongst friends won't have incentive to acquire more cards to compete, as everyone can play decks at the same quality level.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded this. I'm gonna start playing tonight but I have question before I start:

How easy is it to build and win with green stompy? Because I love green stompy and I don't want to get blown up if everyone's running super efficient removal or some such.