Status
Not open for further replies.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I saw that Talinda Bennington posted a comment of approval on Emily's Instagram, which is...interesting.

Well that's... sudden. There wasn't anything about him skipping the tour yesterday, was there?
He didn't perform in the show yesterday either. Probably some sort of personal situation where he is unable or unwilling to perform live, for whatever reason. I don't think this is connected in any way with the ongoing drama.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
Hum... Without Brad, that's half the band that's gone/new, almost not worth calling Linkin Park.

I've listened to half of the livestream, Emily sounds good when she actually sings; I'm not a fan of letting the crowd sing the hard parts of Chester's voice lines, haha, it feels like glorified karaoke.

New single is decent. I'm almost tempted to buy the album, but I like listening to albums on a physical CD, and I don't have a physical CD player anymore; might be worth looking into getting one.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Hum... Without Brad, that's half the band that's gone/new, almost not worth calling Linkin Park.

I've listened to half of the livestream, Emily sounds good when she actually sings; I'm not a fan of letting the crowd sing the hard parts of Chester's voice lines, haha, it feels like glorified karaoke.

New single is decent. I'm almost tempted to buy the album, but I like listening to albums on a physical CD, and I don't have a physical CD player anymore; might be worth looking into getting one.

Not defending her at all but Chester did the exact same thing a lot during concerts, especially later into the set lists and as he got older. Not to the same extent, but it's not exactly uncommon for singers to do that.

Also Brad is still in the band, he's just not going to be touring for this short and sudden period of time. It's fine.

Rat Face

Sep 2, 2023
What a disgrace to Chester's legacy. Replacing him who struggled with mental illness and depression with a person involved in a cult that shits on mental health and treats it like a joke. Not to mention all the Danny Masterson shit.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I'm withholding judgment and just trying to appreciate the music for now. People are flawed and being born into Scientology fucks you up. We don't know where she's at right now and the particular nature of the cult might make it difficult for her or even the band to say anything. I still want them to, but they don't owe me shit. I'm happy for the original members pushing ahead to do something new, they seem genuinely happy

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm withholding judgment and just trying to appreciate the music for now. People are flawed and being born into Scientology fucks you up. We don't know where she's at right now and the particular nature of the cult might make it difficult for her or even the band to say anything. I still want them to, but they don't owe me shit. I'm happy for the original members pushing ahead to do something new, they seem genuinely happy

This is where I'm at. Though being born into Scientology doesn't excuse the Danny Masterson issue.

I hope they address it soon.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
What a pisser this whole situation is. It is heartening, at least, to see more backlash against celebrity Scientology involvement than usual in the press - it's allowed to be swept under the rug too much, and I'm not even just talking about Cruise (There's also Moss, Peña, Cartwright, etc. etc.)

Funny enough feels like it's been happening a lot more lately. I've had friends tell me about some youtube skateboarder who got into shit for Scientology association too. It's good to see that the CoS can't just totally fly under the radar or be ignored.
The being born into it part definitely makes it slightly more of a question mark than the usual. The only confirmed course completion she has in Scientology is a beginner-level course on workplace efficiency from 2007 - but it is possible that further coursework was never reported or she's simply a casual believer who doesn't do many courses rather than a Nancy Cartwright type fanatic donator/devotee.

The Masterson stuff is the biggest concern / cause for suspicion though, for sure. Some sort of statement ought to be put out imo though, one way or the other, people have a right to be skeptical and outraged about cult involvement on this level, especially with the Danny Masterson stuff on top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Putting everything else aside, and looking at the music: This song is pretty good. Surprisingly so.
Yeah, it sounds like an evolution of the songs that were on The Hunting Party (though I think I like it more than pretty much any song from that album). I keep listening to it and yesterday's performance of Bleed It Out. So fucking good.

Yep.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough feels like it's been happening a lot more lately. I've had friends tell me about some youtube skateboarder who got into shit for Scientology association too.
Aaron Kyro from Braille. One of the biggest skate channels. He wasted lots of money on donations, now he has no more skate park or team. Dude is a total kook.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
My opinion is worth than the bytes it takes to submit them to this forum, but I *really* struggle to imagine the band purposefully choosing this woman if she carried baggage that pointedly discredits mental health research and medicine.

It is SO awful to think what that would imply that I just have to imagine there's more (or I guess less) to this than it appears.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
What a pisser this whole situation is. It is heartening, at least, to see more backlash against celebrity Scientology involvement than usual in the press - it's allowed to be swept under the rug too much, and I'm not even just talking about Cruise (There's also Moss, Peña, Cartwright, etc. etc.)

Funny enough feels like it's been happening a lot more lately. I've had friends tell me about some youtube skateboarder who got into shit for Scientology association too. It's good to see that the CoS can't just totally fly under the radar or be ignored.
I think that just in general this year, people are tired of off-putting weirdos typically too insulated by their wealth and clout to face any real consequences.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
It's always a bit nerve-wracking hitting refresh after a bit and seeing three notifications quickly pile up, lol.

The Masterton stuff is definitely the worst of it, no contest. The sum of what we know doesn't comport with Shinoda's remark in the Zane Lowe interview that it matters—and should matter—to fans that the people in the bands they like are good people.

If they address anything in the short term, it'll likely be that, although I suspect even that may trigger a backlash from the church. As far as I can tell, they've been copyright-striking Masterton criticism on Google pretty recently. Uncomfortable situation. Again, I'm choosing to be somewhat lenient and withhold judgment for now. I admittedly feel bad piling on the band immediately after all they've been through. You can sense some people just resent them for doing anything again under the LP name.

I'm also completely willing to change where I'm at, for all it matters.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The being born into it part definitely makes it slightly more of a question mark than the usual. The only confirmed course completion she has in Scientology is a beginner-level course on workplace efficiency from 2007 - but it is possible that further coursework was never reported or she's simply a casual believer who doesn't do many courses rather than a Nancy Cartwright type fanatic donator/devotee.

The Masterson stuff is the biggest concern / cause for suspicion though, for sure. Some sort of statement ought to be put out imo though, one way or the other, people have a right to be skeptical and outraged about cult involvement on this level, especially with the Danny Masterson stuff on top.

This backlash seems like its more of a "Openly supporting a rapist" thing than it is a "member of Scientology" thing, even if those two things are linked.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Aaron Kyro from Braille. One of the biggest skate channels. He wasted lots of money on donations, now he has no more skate park or team. Dude is a total kook.
Oh yeah, I looked into his history. His Scientology coursework is public and it's fucking hilarious. He blazed right past level OT3 (When you learn about Xenu) and blazed right past it to do the following OT4 course within TWO MONTHS, no doubts or hesitations. He also took the 'PTS/SP handling course' in 2022 - standing for Potential Trouble Source / Suppressive Persons, AKA a course to deal with Scientology's critics and/or people around him who might be 'hostile' to Scientology. He's currently at level OT6 out of the maximum of OT8 and thus is WILDLY far up the ladder in Scientology. Nancy Cartwright is the only one I know of who's higher in terms of celebrities, she's all the way to OT8.

You can read his course history here if you wish to, though much of it will be gibberish without additional research on what the names/terms mean.
I think that just in general this year, people are tired of off-putting weirdos typically too insulated by their wealth and clout to face any real consequences.
Super valid point, to be honest. I totally get that feeling sometimes myself.
This backlash seems like its more of a "Openly supporting a rapist" thing than it is a "member of Scientology" thing, even if those two things are linked.
I think it's def. a mix of both, Scientology is known for aggressively attacking mental health professionals and blames the literal holocaust on them (They run the Psychiatry: Industry of Death museum, quite infamously) and they're on a crusade to end psychiatric medications, and given Chester Bennington's struggles and eventual suicide a LOT of fans feel it's also incredibly ghastly to have a Scientologist take his former position.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda crazy that the new song's lyrics could very easily be interpreted as a slight against Scientology. I don't see any credits for the lyrics but if Emily had anything to do with them than it would be really... odd. I mean, they're general enough to be about anything but yeah.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
-Instant chills as soon as her harsh vocal kicked in on the new single. Her voice is great for the music and vibe.
-the production of the live show was extremely cool, those laser effects were sick and I bet the arena show production will be incredibly impressive. Modern concert production is so awesome.
-per the interview video posted earlier today, Mike/some of the band have known Emily for years and they had started working together in some capacity musically since 2019 so it feels like none of what has come up with the news should be able to fly without some kind of statement being made.
-I had no idea that LP was still so huge, seeing them with 40+ million Spotify listeners… they really need to address all the concerns

Statement from Emily regarding previous support of Danny Masterson New

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
emilys-statement-on-the-scientology-danny-masterson-v0-6wfybvnlnand1.jpeg

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If I had to guess, any statement about the situation will come from her socials and not Linkin Park's so that it doesn't look like it's an anti-Scientology statement coming from the band.

It's ridiculous that anyone would need to tip toe around Scientology but kind of understandable when you know the history and accusations of retaliation.

Edit: Literally as I posted that. Damn, I'm good.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly what I thought. She was supporting him because he had been a friend, but she afterwards came to the realization that he wasn't the person she thought he was. Mike and the others wouldn't have let her into the band if she truly thought what Danny did was okay, not with the band's history.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Barring any more baggage, I'm ready to resume bitching about the length of the album and begging for b-sides.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Just to be very clear: even saying just that is something that is going to anger the Church of Scientology.

I think that's where we should look for next is if Emily is still in that church or not. But this statement is gonna piss those folks off. Perhaps this is just sign of her not being part of Scientology?

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Given the issues people tend to deal with when publicly denouncing the cult, I wouldn't expect her to say much about her experience with Scientology much, if at all. I can't really blame her if she chooses not to, and I don't think it would be fair to criticize her if she decides not to. Hell, even something as simple as saying that she no longer supports Masterson and doesn't condone his behavior is likely to get her some amount of shit from those freaks.

The best thing to do is to pay attention to how she acts going forward.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think that's where we should look for next is if Emily is still in that church or not.

I don't think we'll get a concrete answer to that.

If she's still in it, she'll try to keep it secret but that will be very difficult with her newfound fame. If she's not, I doubt she makes any sort of public statement about leaving for obvious reasons -- especially for a second generation member who was born into it -- and especially after implying that she believes Masterson is guilty.

I don't believe there's been any public connection to the church since she appeared at the courthouse in 2020 so we'll all likely need to just come to our own personal conclusions and go from there.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I want to believe her. But we will see.
Yeah, it's a start. It would be nice to have her come out and say that she doesn't support the stance that scientology has on mental illness as well. Believing the garbage that they spout on the subject of mental health and then going on to sing songs like Leave Out All The Rest and Breaking The Habit would be disingenuous to say the least.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be very interesting to see what happens in the future. Like someone said earlier, the church's stance is that Danny is innocent, right? So they might not take kindly to this statement.

If this is true, she's going exactly against the 'church'. And isn't a mindless drone just repeating its utterly fucked up positions. And as you said, (publicly) opposing them is not a very small, insignificant thing.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is not like we dont know who he is. You mean you want to know the nature of their relationship? Specifics like length of time, where they met? I feel like her telling us they're not friends is good for me.

What I'm getting at is this doesn't actually inform people who don't already know about the situation. We know about it, sure. But the average fan looking at that statement might not. Coming clean and doing better includes fessing up to the things you did and the context surrounding them. Saying you attended the court appearance of 'someone' isn't that.

Status
Not open for further replies.