• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would of been more funny if he switched bodies and was using outdated white people slang to everyone's confusion.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really my place to judge whether this use of the n-word is okay or not but the mystical no-English Chinese man and the celebration of Chris Brown seem like questionable elements as well.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Are you sure? Switching bodies with someone is more common than you think.
I wish, tbh.
I'd love to try around. Still in Vienna, but spend some time as someone born to Turkish parents, then maybe walk in the shoes of a refugee... just learn how my close neighbors live their lives, get treated, and so on.
And obviously, I want to be a woman for at least a month.

Not really my place to judge whether this use of the n-word is okay or not but the mystical no-English Chinese man and the celebration of Chris Brown seem like questionable elements as well.
Not sure if I agree on the Chinese man. Well, maybe the no-English part, but the "mystical Chinese man" is just a reference to Freaky Friday, no? I think that it should be okay as a parody.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Freaky Friday" presents more of the same. The Kendall Jenner gag at the end brings up queasy questions about consent. In the video, we learn Dicky and Brown's body trade is the work of a mystical Chinese man. (I realize this is because a mystical Chinese woman swaps Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis in the Freaky Friday movie remake, but its perpetuation of magical ethnic characters was questionable then and remains questionable now.) The entire premise of the song is founded in tropes about black and Jewish men so deeply ingrained in society that for some people they amount to conventional wisdom.

This paragraph is more corny than the song

Commanderbuck

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This song is funny. I think people need to stop thinking so hard about how to be offended. Chris did the verse, so it's all good. Chris Brown is still trash tho.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
People are still judging Chris brown for hitting Rhianna or has he beat up more women since then? Did white people not know he never left the radio.
I know he's still a major mainstream artist but fuck that women beating piece of shit.

He didn't just hit Rhianna, he beat her within an inch of her life.

I don't forgive women beaters. Especially ones that don't appear remorseful.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish, tbh.
I'd love to try around. Still in Vienna, but spend some time as someone born to Turkish parents, then maybe walk in the shoes of a refugee... just learn how my close neighbors live their lives, get treated, and so on.
And obviously, I want to be a woman for at least a month.

Not sure if I agree on the Chinese man. Well, maybe the no-English part, but the "mystical Chinese man" is just a reference to Freaky Friday, no? I think that it should be okay as a parody.
I haven't seen the movie so I didn't know it was a direct reference. I don't know if that makes it totally ok but I'm not saying it's a grave offence or anything.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
This song is trash and this Stereogum article does a good job detailing why it is so trash.
"Freaky Friday" presents more of the same. The Kendall Jenner gag at the end brings up queasy questions about consent. In the video, we learn Dicky and Brown's body trade is the work of a mystical Chinese man. (I realize this is because a mystical Chinese woman swaps Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis in the Freaky Friday movie remake, but its perpetuation of magical ethnic characters was questionable then and remains questionable now.) The entire premise of the song is founded in tropes about black and Jewish men so deeply ingrained in society that for some people they amount to conventional wisdom. To top it off, "Freaky Friday" sweeps Brown's myriad offenses under the rug so as not to interfere with the farce. It's a mess, but one presented so cleanly that you might not notice.

I feel like I'm being trolled.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Brown can say that word all he wants, but I don't know why people would still agree or want to work with him when he's such a terrible person.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I came in here wanting to care... I really did.

With that being said, I see a freaky Friday remake on the way with the rock and Kevin hart. You just know it is bound to happen.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
The song is terrible but the video makes up for it for being funny and at the same time correlating well to the song.

On to the N-Word part, I don't see nothing wrong with it at all, one's who do are just looking to complain.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are still judging Chris brown for hitting Rhianna or has he beat up more women since then? Did white people not know he never left the radio.
He has gotten a restraining order filed against him by a ex-girlfriend as recently as literally last year. After many things including sending a text saying the following "Bitch I will beat the s--t out of you"

So yes, Chris Brown hasn't changed. He's still the same piece of shit.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I haven't seen the movie so I didn't know it was a direct reference. I don't know if that makes it totally ok but I'm not saying it's a grave offence or anything.
Yeah, it is still questionable (as in "I wouldn't instantly dismiss concerns raised by anyone), but I just wanted to point out it was not just some lazy stereotype, but an actual reference to the story this is based on.

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
Its chris doing the verse so i dont really see the problem.
now if lil dicky wrote the verse...
jayzd.gif

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Also, getting mad that a Jewish guy doing Jew jokes seems...weird. Like 99% of Jewish comedians are constantly doing self deprecating Jewish jokes. I hope this dude's never seen an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Jokes are fine. The line the article quoted didn't contain a joke. There was a stereotype, and then a word that Jews should not call each other.
Where's the punchline?
Curb is hilarious, and I love making Jew jokes and hearing them.

Huh

It's almost like black people using the n word

But apparently that's ok so not sure why this wouldn't be?

Hell no, these are 2 very different things.
Your post indicates you're not black, so what would it matter to you anyway?

The words have 2 different origins, and have developed in vastly different ways. Many believe that kike started as a derogatory term from 1 Jew to another. Then other people used it as a derogatory term for us too. There's no good reason that a Jew should be saying it. It's not edgy or funny, its embarrassing

I'm sure you know the history of the N word, and you know how it has developed.
When I see how annoyed people get that they're not supposed to say the N word, it shows the power of what black people have done with it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The controversy is recent and has happened because some idiot lacrosse players posted a video of them singing along to it.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/i...4.1570784838.1521906207-1968352186.1515536442
I mean, you say that, but in the link, they literally write
"In this music video, the white guy makes a big show of saying the word "nigga," repeatedly and with abandon, to himself and others."
For them, the video itself is a huge problem.
That's what's so crazy to me. This is a blatantly false statement.
Taboo things have appeal. They make people curious. Just look at children. I absolutely understand that the n-word is not for me, but because if that, if I suddenly woke up black, it would be an experience I'd be curious about. Being able to do this thing I cannot do now. Trying to paint this concept as a show of racism just seems like the author lacks an understanding of how humans function.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was pretty funny. Who knew little dicky had enough clout to get so many random people to do a video with him. I just remember him as some youtube rapper.

As for the "controversy, I'll just say, people on the internet should probably get over themselves with who they choose to "forgive". I don't think Chris Brown, or anyone for that matter, gives a shit if some random people on an internet forum "forgive" him. He's a millionaire, he's probably eating a tomahawk steak in Dubai or something right now, who the fuck are you?

The "nigga" part is not even worth getting into, yall need to go on with your day.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good song and funny ass video.

The word controversial needs to be banned on this goddamn message board lol

Oh myy god!!!! a light skin nigga said nigga on a comedy song...smh

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
As for the "controversy, I'll just say, people on the internet should probably get over themselves with who they choose to "forgive". I don't think Chris Brown, or anyone for that matter, gives a shit if some random people on an internet forum "forgive" him. He's a millionaire, he's probably eating a tomahawk steak in Dubai or something right now, who the fuck are you?
And who the fuck are you to tell me I'm supposed to just be ok with a celebrity brutally beating a woman?

I will keep bringing it up and you can choose to keep being salty about it.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Using threatening language against another user.
And who the fuck are you to tell me I'm supposed to just be ok with a celebrity brutally beating a woman?

I will keep bringing it up and you can choose to keep being salty about it.

You don't wanna know who I am bro. And I will continue to be salty about it, thank you very much.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So black people can't say the n-word when they pretend to be white people for some video? Gee, this is complicated.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty funny. Who knew little dicky had enough clout to get so many random people to do a video with him. I just remember him as some youtube rapper.

The "nigga" part is not even worth getting into, yall need to go on with your day.

.......are you defending a dude that beats women by saying "He's rich and eating steak in Dubai who the fuck are you?"??????

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you forgave him I guess lmao.

Why do I need to forgive him? I was just curious why I shouldn't listen to his music because of what happened to Rhianna years ago. But as I read above apparently he is still acting like a douche bag. I don't keep up with celebrity news so I didn't know he was harresing his ex girlfriend. I've never purchased any of his music so it's not as if though I support him but I'm not going to say he can't make a living because he broke the law once. I was just taken aback by the shock some posters had that Chris brown was on this song. He's on like every song on the radio since forever.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These comments make me worry I misunderstood. It's still Dicky talking while in Brown's body, right? He himself is saying that word in the song?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I hate Chris Brown (the dude) and don't really mess with Lil Dicky's music like that but the video was pretty funny. Even the Lil Dicky (in CB's body) saying nigga part, which I expected to hate, turned out funny.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Why do I need to forgive him? I was just curious why I shouldn't listen to his music because of what happened to Rhianna years ago. But as I read above apparently he is still acting like a douche bag. I don't keep up with celebrity news so I didn't know he was harresing his ex girlfriend. I've never purchased any of his music so it's not as if though I support him but I'm not going to say he can't make a living because he broke the law once. I was just taken aback by the shock some posters had that Chris brown was on this song. He's on like every song on the radio since forever.
I really don't give a shit about him breaking the law. It's the part where he beat his girlfriend to a bloody pulp while screaming at her that he was going to kill her.