• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
There has been lots of threads about Wolfenstein The New Colossus and the reactions to it are very mixed. You have two camps, those who love the story and find the game great and those who feel the story is good but the gameplay isn't that good compared to the past games.

I sit in the second camp and I am hopeful they will win me back (in the gameplay part of the game).

First and foremost, they need to tighten up the gameplay. I would love it if they made it closer to Doom and the classic Wolf games where you could run and gun everywhere without needing to pick up the health packs/armor/ammo manually. Doom 4 does this perfectly. Speaking of Doom, I feel the game would be way better if they make it so there is less hitscan and more dodging, and no I do not mean big projectiles like Doom 4 but somewhere in between like tracer projectiles. Also I feel they need to have more varied enemies to make encounters more interesting, past games had (Nazi priests, ninjas, flamethrower units, stalker units that could go invisible, and lots more interesting occult enemies). Another thing that they definetly need to improve and was a flaw in TNO was the weaponry being really bland and samey. Wolf 2009 and Castle had some really amazing weapons that felt really unique. I mean just look at this:

This kind of crazy weaponry would be great.

Level design is another one that I disliked. The levels should be way more varied art wise and objective wise. Instead of the whole "commander" loop where you have to stealth and kill them, try something like Dishonored. You choose the way you enter, how to acomplish your objective and maybe also reintroduce the currency system from Wolf 2009 and expand on it by using the money to buy assets that could be stashed in the level to help you and upgradable weapons like Wolf 2009 with different upgrades you apply to your weapons. (Speaking of Dishonored, Arkane is supposedly helping in the level design area so we might get a big improvement in that particular issue.)

Story is one thing I am not really sure what to improve there. Perhaps more occult elements to the story and a "world tour" setting where you go to different countries and see how they hold up under the nazi scum empire (How would the middle east or africa or even australia look like in this alternative timeline?). Also since it is pretty much confirmed we are getting mecha *a certain horrible person* as a final boss, I hope they look at their boss fight and death when designing that sequence. One scenario that I have in my head would be them acting like they are confident and strong while piloting the mech only for BJ to destroy the mech and show them how pathetic and powerless they are, before turning them into a gore spaghetti like in Wolf 3D.

What do you guys want in the next game?

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
No more tiny flying enemies that buzz around you in random directions slowly wearing you down. Please. It makes the game impossible using a controller.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dunno, i'll wait to see where they're going with Youngblood

would like more classic run n gun but since nu doom already delivered that in spades i guess it'd be redundant. i'm cool with them capping off the trilogy that TNO set up but after that i'd like something that takes itself less seriously, assuming its another reboot of sorts

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Better level design, as the openness of TNC didn't always work in its favour. Need to signpost things better and make them less arena-y. Also a story that leads into Machine Games working on Commander Keen. Please!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Arkane is co-developing Youngblood amd MachineGames has already said they've been instrumental in the game's level design.

That bodes well for the future.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
If I wanted Doom I'd buy Doom, Wolfenstein is its own brand and it is better for it. I enjoy Wolf's style more

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I must be a weirdo, because I've always had absolutely zero issues with the gunplay in any of the three games. Whenever they got brought up at Giant Bomb, the discussion was always couched in some form of "the story is rad but the shooting is awful" and I was always baffled, because it feels exactly like what I'd expect from a shooter.

I can see the complaints about some of the level design I guess, but I never really got lost. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
TNO was great. TNC was bad. TNC, despite having more locations felt a lot less varied. I remember one level had you start off in a lively town with lots of npc's and I was like, fuck yeah, this is gonna be great. So what happens? You descend into some dark, industrial place once more and that's where you get to actually shoot people. It's just lame. All I remember is lifeless ruins and dark industrial levels.

I also take issue with the game's general gameplay balance. It feels good to run and gun in TNC, but the game punishes you for it if you play on higher difficulty. Hell, even on normal it kinda does. The game clearly wants you to constantly use cover and move slowly, but that just feels so wrong in a game with such high movement speed. In TNC, at least at launch, another issue was that the game was really bad at providing feedback when you got shot, which led to a lot of deaths where I thought I was doing fine while my health was getting flushed down on the toilet.

Story is fine.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I loved the story. Combat was great. I honestly want them to keep doing what they're doing. Maybe get rid of the stealth mechanics? Never really felt like it fit to me

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
Ammo and health should be picked automatically without having to press a button. Also they need better writers, the tone is all over the place. There is pretentious inner monologue and silliness in the same scenes, makes no sense.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just smoother difficulty. I was pretty happy with TNC's gameplay overall - really liked the gadgets, especially - but MAN there were some brutal difficulty spikes.

Jan 4, 2018
More newspapers with lore about what happened during the war and after.

More varied environments. A better soundtrack.

And a children of Irene Engel as a new antagonist.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Remove the meaningless Wyatt/Fergus timeline mechanic,or at least make them somehow interesting like in the first game,it was pointless in TNC.
A tone more like TNO and the first half of TNC,i dunno what happened after Will's execution that everyone acts so stupid.
Some of their comrades died but they start partying,riding pigs and doing head butting contests.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  • Find a way to work a greater number of projectiles and a smaller number of hitscan weapons in. More OUTPLAYABLE incoming damage. Doom gets away easy on this because demons all use energy weapons and fireballs. Wolfenstein needs to find some way to ape that to some level. The sheer amount of hitscan damage incoming is a real fucking drag. This is the biggest point.
EDIT: Alternatively, work in some mechanic like Doom's glory kills that incentivizes aggression. Mechanically correlate killing with survivability.
  • Stealth that doesn't feel totally penalizing when it gets interrupted and the gameplay switches to action.
  • Either cut out gimmicks like the constrictor vest and the stilts, or make them more fun to use in play. That shit was awful. Level designs use of it also sucked. "Welcome to the part where you get out your favourite flavour from our neapolitan selection of undercooked gadgets that we shoehorned in, for all of like 5 seconds.."
  • Trim fat. The missions with the returning to previous locales to eliminate enemy officers in TNC were bad. I don't know who would do those except out of obligation.
  • Less time in a hub. Going back to the sub and feeling obligated to talk to everyone sucked. Find ways to work characters into the action of the story. If that means more of the game is like TNC's final chapter, where it felt like EVERYONE was involved, so fucking be it. That was great. I would rather have well paced cutscene conversations than hours of standing around listening to people talk meanderingly. The writing's good but Fergus is no Garrus, and even Mass Effect wasn't as long winded as TNC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I cant wait for Wolfenstein 3. 2 was my game of the year. I want them to take the training wheels right off, or I don't know how they can top 2. So many moments. Just.....WOW.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Get rid of the commander system that forces you to Stealth instead of going in gun blazing. Get rid of the hub and just go for a straightforward linear story. Less bullshit moments like the courthouse scene.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remove the meaningless Wyatt/Fergus timeline mechanic,or at least make them somehow interesting like in the first game,it was pointless in TNC.
A tone more like TNO and the first half of TNC,i dunno what happened after Will's execution that everyone acts so stupid.
Some of their comrades died but they start partying,riding pigs and doing head butting contests.

It is honestly impressive how committed they are to the insane decision to write a trilogy of action games along two parallel tracks based on a single player choice at the very beginning of the first entry.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think a smoother difficulty curve with better level design is what's needed. Turning the game down to easy and running and gunning was the only way I derived enjoyment from TNC and it shouldn't have been that way.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I just want an option to turn off the head bobbing in that game. I stopped playing the first two because it would give me an instant headache and nausea.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Most importantly? level and encounter design that isn't total shit like in TNC. Also, this isn't nostalgia towards TNO/TOB since I actually played them back to back before TNC and it's really eye opening how they achieve so much more with level design since they stick with their basics (tight corners, clear and varied pathways and generous AI). The only bad encounter I can think of is the battle of Gibraltar bridge in TNO where you are bombarded by hitscan enemies from one side, and still that level managed to be more memorable than anything in TNC.

TNC maps are like DOOM 2016 maps with Wolfenstein mechanics shoved in. You are constantly bombarded by hitscan enemies from all sides which goes against the gung ho nature the game desperately wants to sell to the player.

Machine Games also like to go and on about how wacky and over the top their world is yet the weapon selection is so dull and pedestrian. Standard Assault Rifles, SMGs, Pistols...etc. TNC was the worst with this. Wolf 2009 was vastly more creative with its weaponary.

Apr 4, 2019
Campaign co-op with each player being from the two timelines? :P I'm hoping they're actually going somewhere with the timelines though. :s

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
All I want is for them to find a balance on what they want their game to be. There's been two titles and it can't decide if it wants to be doom or a more serious slower paced shooter.
You can do one of these, you can't be both.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to kill Hitler. And because there is a RoboHitler in Youngblood...
BLvkHbg.gif

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It would be neat if they could finally make one of these play fun. Beaten all 3 of the modern Wolfie's and the stories were gripping, the graphics awesome and the violence palpable...but none of them are fun. Knocked all down to easy just to get through the stories.
Call the Doom team for some tips.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Wolf 2's level design was poor and it didn't know what type of shooter it wanted to be. I think Wolf 3 needs to improve on both.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
When is it gonna take place anyway? Youngblood really screwed with this. It has to take place after that, right?

Also, I wasn't aware that the timelines are such a big deal. Should I replay the first game (really liked it!) doing the other timeline? Is it different enough?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'd like to spend more time playing the game than watching it.......I enjoy the story elements Machine Games have brought to the series but they went overboard last time with way too many cut scenes.

Nov 8, 2017
Make stealth easier / better, and maybe tone down how quickly enemies lock in on you when they're off screen. Let us have all weapons in both time lines. Wolf 2 was awesome so it doesn't need huge overhauls.

I just hope we get a satisfying narrative conclusion because the long term viability of these games fiscally isn't very high.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we don't have BJ talking to himself the whole game about a character that dies at the beginning of the game again. That retread in the sequel was a dissapointment. Also smooth out the difficulty. That courtroom scene had me contemplating lowering the difficulty to get past it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like the game to start utilising its setting at long last. We're in an alternate timeline where the Nazis have all this crazy technology. Therefore:

- More guns other than just "normal gun with sci-fi look"
- More enemies other than Nazi, Armoured Nazi, Dog Nazi and Occasional Massive Bullet Spong Robot Nazi
- Levels other than Brown Destroyed City, Grey Nazi Base and Grey Nazi Base In A Brown Destroyed City

The vast majority of the game is spent shooting conventional enemies with conventional weapons. There's a whole world of cool shit they could be doing but instead we just get the blandest stuff possible. There's a few interesting alt fires and that's basically it. The power weapon is basically the only exotic thing. There's one enemy type that's interesting which teleports around and that's it. And it's horribly underutilised. I wish the imagination you see elsewhere in the game carried over to the actual gameplay. This series more than any other should be looking at Half-Life and Doom for what to do here. Arcade shooters aren't much different to generic modern shooters when 90% of the time you're shooting basically the same guns at the same enemies.

Also, ditch the terrible pacing ruining upgrade system from the last game, sort out the audio mix and hit feedback and finally cut down the number of officer encounters as much as possible.

Oh, and the dual wielding system was fiddly as fuck in the last game to the point where I didn't bother most of the time outside of dual wielding shotguns. Just go back to having two of the same gun. Or sort out the interface on PC.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I must be a weirdo, because I've always had absolutely zero issues with the gunplay in any of the three games. Whenever they got brought up at Giant Bomb, the discussion was always couched in some form of "the story is rad but the shooting is awful" and I was always baffled, because it feels exactly like what I'd expect from a shooter.

I can see the complaints about some of the level design I guess, but I never really got lost. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The issue isn't necessarily gunplay but feedback and encounter design. Wolf 2 had a lot more of the frustrating encounters like the train station in Wolf 1, and with poor feedback as to where you're getting hit from, enemies blending in with environments a little too well and the vertical map design along with the map poorly representing it, led to some encounters being more frustrating than they rightfully should be. I love the game but it doubles down on some of the worse stuff from Wolf 1 in regards to its gameplay .

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I want to see them bring back more of the pulpy elements from RTCW + 2009 and balance the mix of open levels good signposting. From what I've heard though, Youngblood might be working out well.

Balmik

May 12, 2019
Working on the stealth system and making it more forgiving. I liked sneaking through levels in TNO and TNC being less forgiving with stealth made it worse for me.

Also avoid any storyline that has a pregnant woman ready to pop going on missions that they know there will be battle. That had going wtf every time that came up in TNC. It's not like they couldn't send other people for those missions. Thankful they won't do that again with Anya in the next game when they go to make a badass scene for her.