RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to try DHC if you don't want to. I recommend it but it's your face!

Also, chin acne sounds hormonal, though if you think it's whey you can cut that out. You may want to cut out milk as well.

Frizz could just be the dry winter weather. Remember to stay hydrated and consider using a leave in conditioner.
I'm really afraid to use something with oils on my face. I went to see some pictures of me a few months ago and my face was much more cleaner... damn.

Yeah, I already switched regular milk with soy milk. And I will change my whey protein into something vegetal based. Also whey protein is known for causing acne in some people. Funny that this just happens every time I take some MyProtein supplements... weird.

Do you know any good leave-in conditioner for someone who doesn't have a ton to spend?

Thank you so much for all the tips!

Keep at it :-D

To answer one of the above, AHA and BHA can both be used at the same time, and serve different functions.

Unlike BHA, AHA is not oil soluble and can't penetrate skin to exfoliate deep within the pore. Rather, its humectant (water-attracting) properties help smooth and plump the surface layers of skin, and its water soluble properties make it an effective exfoliant for concerns like dark spots or discoloration.

BHA is oil soluble, so it penetrates the skin more deeply to exfoliate by dissolving the bonds that hold dead skin cells together. Because of this, it's much more effective than AHA at addressing concerns like blackheads or uneven texture. And since BHA is derived from the same compound found in aspirin, it's also a great anti-inflammatory solution for redness.

BHA (at a maximum concentration of 2%) should be used daily, and AHA (at a maximum concentration of 12%) twice a week or so depending on your particular skin concerns.
That's a really nice explanation, thank you.

I need to look for some products asap

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
YAY YOU'RE BACK LEONA! <3 <3 <3

Personally I don't use BHA everyday. I stack it with AHA and do that 3x a week in the evening. Then again, I use retinol.

It's very dangerous for my skin barrier bur I slather on a LOT of other things, like sheet masks, snail mucin, creams, sleeping masks, and ampoules (yeast extracts, niacimide,, and soon ginseng and some facial oil with antioxidants).

RoyalJCC - what kind of hair do you have? You can always try one of The Ordinary's oils. They're cheap ($8~). Argan and Marula (sp) are supposed to be good. I use Japanese stuff, like Kose's leave in overnight milk and hair water.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YAY YOU'RE BACK LEONA! <3 <3 <3

Personally I don't use BHA everyday. I stack it with AHA and do that 3x a week in the evening. Then again, I use retinol.

It's very dangerous for my skin barrier bur I slather on a LOT of other things, like sheet masks, snail mucin, creams, sleeping masks, and ampoules (yeast extracts, niacimide,, and soon ginseng and some facial oil with antioxidants).

RoyalJCC - what kind of hair do you have? You can always try one of The Ordinary's oils. They're cheap ($8~). Argan and Marula (sp) are supposed to be good. I use Japanese stuff, like Kose's leave in overnight milk and hair water.
My hair is dry, coarse, wavy thick hair. And like I said it's really frizzy.

I already use this shampoo but my hair is still the same. I apply this oil before blow drying in the coolest setting... still gets frizzy.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the products I listed are on the cheap end of the scale.
The problem is that most are pretty difficult to find here so I have to import them.

But still, I will take a look around. I can buy the face wash, oil cleanser and exfoliator here for a nice price but the rest of them are quite difficult.

And I was used to paying 20-30€ for basically all my face needs ahahah

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy a "face wash".

Buy a gel cleanser that's low in pH. If you have acne, you have sensitive skin, and I guarantee anything high in pH will cause your oil glands to overproduce causing worst acne. And most western face washes are high in pH.

And moisturizer and sunscreen are way more important than exfoliator.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy a "face wash".

Buy a gel cleanser that's low in pH. If you have acne, you have sensitive skin, and I guarantee anything high in pH will cause your oil glands to overproduce causing worst acne. And most western face washes are high in pH.
Yeah sorry, I actually mean gel cleanser. I was talking about the CosRX, I can buy that one here.

And moisturizer and sunscreen are way more important than exfoliator.
Even with beard?

Of course when I buy a cleanser I always buy a moisturiser, my face really needs it.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Burning questions about acne? Oily skin? Dry skin? Wrinkles?

You've come to the right place.

I've answered hundreds of questions in threads and in PMs over the years, and now, in this new place we now call home, I'll answer hundreds (?) more. But first, some (very brief) background:

Skin is complex. Complex as fuck. But there are a few ground rules that everyone should abide by to treat it right. As a note, I'm not in any way affiliated with any of the companies whose products I may happen to recommend in this thread now or later. I will also not post any URLs to any products because I'm not seeking any referral link-generated profit. I just want to help!

So with that, here we go:

Step One: Cleanser

skincare-face-wash.jpg

Cleansing is the first step to clearing dirt and oil from your face. This is important because the build-up of sebum (our body's naturally-produced oil), along with sweat and the general debris of the day, clog pores and provide the food source for the bacteria that cause acne and other facial blemishes. It's also important as a prep for the subsequent steps because it allows the active agents and other important ingredients to better penetrate the skin and do their job.

What To Look Out For: The best cleansers are free of fragrance, dyes, or any additive "tingling" ingredients like menthol or eucalyptus, which unfortunately pervade "men's" branded skin products. Since a cleanser is not meant to provide any skin care benefit beyond removing surface dirt and grime, it's also a waste of money to buy one that contains active ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. The twenty seconds or so that you rub it on before rinsing aren't enough time for them to penetrate into the skin.
Recommendations: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Step Two: Exfoliant

3_640_320.jpg

Exfoliating is the secret MVP of skin care. When we're younger, our skin naturally undergoes an accelerated cell turnover cycle that keeps it smooth, taut, and blemish-free. As we age, though, the combination of sun damage (we'll get back to this one), hormonal carnage, and poor lifestyle choices can leave skin sallow and unhealthy. Exfoliation through the use of products that contain beta-hydroxy and alpha-hydroxy acid help prevent and/or reverse skin damage by forcing the same accelerated cell turnover cycle that younger, healthier skin experiences. Its benefits are manifold: not only do you help reverse years of skin damage, but you also help ensure that future cellular turnover proceeds more smoothly and reveal younger-looking, healthier skin free of blackheads or whiteheads. As a note, BHA is best applied daily, whereas AHA is something that (due to its higher concentration) is better used weekly as an overnight treatment.
What To Look Out For: The best exfoliants are free of alcohols, essential fruit oils, or any other drying and/or irritating ingredients, and should be packaged in opaque containers that keep out sunlight, not jars that let in oxygen and dirty hands. They need not contain extra cell-communicating ingredients like niacinamide or Vitamin C, but it only helps.
Recommendations: BHA = Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid; AHA = Alpha Hydrox AHA 10% Glycolic Acid Enhanced Lotion, Paula's Choice RESIST Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA

Step Three: Moisturizer/Sun Protection

main-qimg-aac2748f5f9529b75e000da4fcfdfa8b-c

Exfoliation is a supremely effective antidote to skin aging and blemishes, but proper use of moisturizer and sun protectant are the preventative measures that render those problems moot to begin with. Moisturizing your skin is important, even for those who naturally produce excess sebum, because it keeps wrinkles at bay and provides a range of cell-communicating ingredients that supplement the rapid cellular turnover promoted by exfoliation. More importantly, though, it also provides sun protection in the form of SPF (sun protection factor) that minimize the negative effects of UVA and UVB radiation on the skin. UVA radiation is the type of deeply penetrating radiation that causes wrinkles over time, and can even develop into melanoma (skin cancer), while UVB radiation is the type that, while not penetrating deeply into the dermal layers, does cause uncomfortable sunburns and can create hyperpigmentation (darkened skin discolorations). Your morning moisturizer should contain an SPF of at least 30, but you have no need to use SPF at night. UVA/UVB rays penetrate clouds, glass, and clothing (so sunscreen is a year-round must!), but for obvious reasons, are not present at night. As a note, since exfoliation can make the skin more photosensitive (vulnerable to sunlight), it's imperative to follow any day exfoliation with at least SPF 30.
What To Look Out For: In the morning, your moisturizer should be your sunscreen. Formulations nowadays (even mineral sunscreens containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) don't leave the ghostly white-ish cast that you might remember from childhood excursions at the beach.
Recommendations: Facial sunscreen = Kiss My Face, Face Factor SPF 30; Body sunscreen = NO-AD SPF 45; Night facial moisturizer = Dr. Carver's Miracle Repair Serum; Night facial moisturizer = Olay Quench Body Lotion Ultra Moisture

OK, that hopefully wasn't too much.

But it's only the tip of the iceberg. This is a very broad overview of what your ideal skin care routine might look like. However, because skin is complex (as fuck), there's a whole host of other more specific concerns that people might face. So if you have any questions about the following:​
  • Mild-to-severe OTC or prescription acne treatment
  • Enlarged pores
  • Dry/oily/combination skin
  • Shaving/grooming/ingrown hairs
  • Toners/serums/lotions/masks/essential oils
  • Laser treatments
  • Skin lightening/brightening
  • Diet/exercise/genetics
  • Smoking/drinking/masturbation
...or anything else, then ask away! This is your space to learn everything and anything you ever wondered about your body's largest (and sexiest!) organ.

I've just started a new regime, my skin is quite sensitive, prone to redness, and I have quite large pores and a bit of acne scarring (I had quite bad skin until my mid-late 20s when I took roaccutane)

I'm using the Cetaphil oily skin cleanser (I have combination skin) and the Paula's choice products mentioned in this post...

I picked up the Olay Quench Body Lotion Ultra Moisture but it seems to be quite heavily scented (shea butter) and I'd normally avoid using anything so heavily perfumed... is it ok to use on my face or are there any better (available in the uk) alternatives for night?

Also wanted to see if there was anything I could use to reduce my scarring

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
But it's only the tip of the iceberg. This is a very broad overview of what your ideal skin care routine might look like. However, because skin is complex (as fuck), there's a whole host of other more specific concerns that people might face. So if you have any questions about the following:
  • Mild-to-severe OTC or prescription acne treatment
  • Enlarged pores
  • Dry/oily/combination skin
  • Shaving/grooming/ingrown hairs
  • Toners/serums/lotions/masks/essential oils
  • Laser treatments
  • Skin lightening/brightening
  • Diet/exercise/genetics
  • Smoking/drinking/masturbation
Wait, what does masturbation have to do with skin?

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've just started a new regime, my skin is quite sensitive, prone to redness, and I have quite large pores and a bit of acne scarring (I had quite bad skin until my mid-late 20s when I took roaccutane)

I'm using the Cetaphil oily skin cleanser (I have combination skin) and the Paula's choice products mentioned in this post...

I picked up the Olay Quench Body Lotion Ultra Moisture but it seems to be quite heavily scented (shea butter) and I'd normally avoid using anything so heavily perfumed... is it ok to use on my face or are there any better (available in the uk) alternatives for night?

Also wanted to see if there was anything I could use to reduce my scarring

Not LL but let me answer :).

Don't use the Olay Body Lotion on your face. There's a ton of alternatives. If you go to /r/skincareaddiction or /r/asianbeauty and search for UK moisturizers you'll find a lot. If you're not screamish about ingredients, I'd look into Benton Steam Cream. Belif's Aqua Bomb.

For scar reducing... ooh so many actives. Retinol (exfoliate, very heavy), niacinamide, Vit C + E + FE.

Schw7abe

Oct 28, 2017
Not LL but let me answer :).

Don't use the Olay Body Lotion on your face. There's a ton of alternatives. If you go to /r/skincareaddiction or /r/asianbeauty and search for UK moisturizers you'll find a lot. If you're not screamish about ingredients, I'd look into Benton Steam Cream. Belif's Aqua Bomb.

For scar reducing... ooh so many actives. Retinol (exfoliate, very heavy), niacinamide, Vit C + E + FE.

Why shouldn't someone use that Olay moisturizer on their face? It is the recommendation in the OP for a night time facial moisturizer, so I am a bit confused.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Why shouldn't someone use that Olay moisturizer on their face? It is the recommendation in the OP for a night time facial moisturizer, so I am a bit confused.

That OP isn't great in my opinion - no offence to Leona Lewis.

That western simple kind of skincare regime doesn't generate great results, especially compared to J-Beauty and K-Beauty.

Here is better information:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

Or check out my posts in this thread.

EDIT - Here's a blog post on where to buy K-Beauty products in UK: https://www.prettynotincluded.com/blog/7-places-buy-korean-beauty-uk

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Does anyone have a good blackhead scrub recommendation? Have always struggled with blackheads, and I wanna get rid of 'em for good.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
That OP isn't great in my opinion - no offence to Leona Lewis.

That western simple kind of skincare regime doesn't generate great results, especially compared to J-Beauty and K-Beauty.

Here is better information:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

Or check out my posts in this thread.

EDIT - Here's a blog post on where to buy K-Beauty products in UK: https://www.prettynotincluded.com/blog/7-places-buy-korean-beauty-uk
You're free to disagree, but I'm disheartened at how well marketing has taken its hold on you. Most J/K-beauty toners, for instance, are loaded with incredibly drying ingredients like alcohols and slip agents like silicones that give the sensation of smoothness while actually clogging pores. Their sunscreens are overpriced and lack sophisticated formulations of antioxidants and skin-identical ingredients.

Skin care is a science, and you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars or layer on ten serums every night to achieve your skin care goals. Simplicity is not the goal, but it's a lovely side effect of doing skin care right.

To wit, my current routine (since I've gotten some requests):

Morning (throw in Miracle Repair Serum as a pre-toner on days when shaving):

1) Cleanser: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
2) Toner: NaPCA Moisture Mist
3) Facial Sunscreen/Moisturizer: Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30
4) Body Sunscreen/Moisturizer: No-AD Sunblock SPF 45

Night

1) Cleanser: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
2) Toner: Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore Reducing Toner (spring/summer) or Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Calming Toner (fall/winter)
3) Exfoliant: Paula's Choice 2% Skin Perfecting BHA Gel (nightly) and Paula's Choice 8% Skin Perfecting AHA Gel (semiweekly)
4) Moisturizing Serum: Alternate Paula's Choice Resist Brightening Essence and Voilave Triple Action Vitamin C Serum
5) Body Moisturizer: Olay Quench Body Lotion Ultra Moisture with Shea (nightly) and Paula's Choice Resist Skin Revealing Body Lotion 10% AHA (semiweekly)

Does anyone have a good blackhead scrub recommendation? Have always struggled with blackheads, and I wanna get rid of 'em for good.
Scrubs are ineffective as cleansers, and certainly won't help do anything but aggravate blackheads. Blackheads are the result of oxidized sebum that gets clogged in the pore, and the best remedy is the use of beta hydroxy acids like salicylic acid that can penetrate into the follicle and dissolve the bonds keeping the oil together. The Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid is the most deeply penetrating formulation of this kind.

It's pretty subjective. It's an extremely good value, and while it contains low levels of fragrance, it balances out that flaw with a host of cell-communicating ingredients like niacinamide that you generally only find in lotions that cost multiple times more. If fragrance were present in a higher concentration, I wouldn't recommend it.

I personally don't use a dedicated moisturizer, since I'm a fan of thinner-textured serums over lotions for my face.

Last edited:

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
You're free to disagree, but I'm disheartened at how well marketing has taken its hold on you.

See I would say the same as you on the western side. A lot of those products listed are awful to balance your pH levels as well. Here is my routine (I added Banilla Zero Oil Cleanser as I was running out of softy oil cleanser and I added Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Borabit Ampoule. Also have some other sheet masks for more brightening):

Here is my skin care routine, twice daily.

Cleansers - Kose Softymo Speedy Cleansing Oil and Corsx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser, use oil only in PM:

kose-softymo-speedy-cleansing-oil-230-ml_16992976.jpeg
41OgN8ABVmL._SX355_.jpg

Toner - Corsx One Step Pimple Clear Pad - Use this in both routines, and Son & Park Beauty Water - Use this every couple of days to help rebalance pH in replacement of other toner:
618U2r1uN3L._SY355_.jpg
41XkJxlc3jL._SY355_.jpg

Serum - Klairs Vitamin C Serum - Use this once every 3 days:

s-l300.jpg

Chemical Exfoliators - Corsx AHA and BHA Power Liquids - Use each every couple of days once, alternating:

752135235.g_400-w_g.jpg

Essence - Missha First Treatment Essence Intensive - Use this in PM routine:

31E21ZpidrL._SY355_.jpg

Sheet Masks - Too many different options to list, I alternate based on the needs of my skin, but always sheet mask once a day, but here are some of the ones I really like:

-medi-heal-whp-white-hydrating-charcoal-mineral-mask-pack.jpg
441952714.g_400-w_g.jpg

8806173560028.jpg

Lotion & Moisturizers - Hada Labo Gokujyun Lotion and Moisturizing Milk I use in the morning and then I use Missha Near SKIN Repairing Snail Cream in the evening - I actually really like the smell of snail:

4987241127016.jpg
51A8sG5RmQL._SY355_.jpg
41l4hnNaLML._SY355_.jpg

Eye Cream - Mizon Snail Repair Eye Cream - Use in the night:

Mizon_SnailRepairEyeCream_large.jpeg

Most important part - Sunscreen - Biore UV SPF50+ Moisturizing:

2400407.JPG

Last edited:

justjustni

Oct 27, 2017
Any pro tips for getting rid of fordyce spots on upper lip? They're like super tiny pimples that seem impossible (or very painful) to get rid of. I've had about 4-5 of them just sitting there for years, and figured I'd ask since this thread popped up.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
See I would say the same as you on the western side. A lot of those products listed are awful to balance your pH levels as well. Here is my routine (I added Banilla Zero Oil Cleanser as I was running out of softy oil cleanser and I added Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Borabit Ampoule. Also have some other sheet masks for more brightening):
Upon a cursory Google search, I already see:

- high concentrations of sensitizing and phototoxic fruit and plant extracts like lavender and orange oil
- alcohol as literally the second ingredient in that sunscreen (!!!) and a boatload of silicone
- clay masks with disastrous pH balancing effects

The hyaluronic acid products are nice, but they're missing complementary ingredients that actually help repair the cellular matrix to promote anti-aging effects. It's not enough to just attract and retain water, but you also have to actively combat environmentally and biologically-induced oxidation.

Not particularly impressed by anything I'm seeing here.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
- high concentrations of sensitizing and phototoxic fruit and plant extracts like lavender and orange oil
- alcohol as literally the second ingredient in that sunscreen (!!!) and a boatload of silicone
- clay masks with disastrous pH balancing effects

Not particularly impressed by anything I'm seeing here.

1) Alcohol sensitivity is if you have dry skin. That is the most popular UV screen product in a country that is obsessed with protection from the sun and white / bright skin. There's a reason why Korean and Japanese skin is much better then western skin in terms of developing ageing / lines.

2) Yes, some of those products, especially products that contain AHA require you to keep out of the sun as much as possible and/or be religious about applying your

3) This is why you use pH balancing products which are fantastic. Western products destroy pH levels - a lot of them, especially the "foaming cleansers" having pH levels almost double then the products I have.

Here is a before and after example of a test where someone applied western products almost exactly like yours Leona to half their face (their right, our left) and asian products to the other side. This was the difference in just 7 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Alcohols slowly kill cells (as in, they cause early-onset apoptosis, or cell death), whether skin is sensitive or not. You should never use products that use alcohol rather than water or oil bases, because over time they create deep lines and can precipitate discoloration.

Your first mistake is assuming that there's a national norm when it comes to skin care or beauty products. Most Western products are horrible, and the ones I've recommended avoid the most typical pitfalls such as use of menthols, scrubbing agents, etc.

I don't feel like we're having an actual discussion here, and that your fascination with an imagined East vs. West dichotomy (as opposed to actual science) has clouded your judgment. I'd rather not continue, at least not here.

(By the way, the manner in which you discuss pH makes me seriously question your bona fides here...)

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Alcohols slowly kill cells, whether skin is sensitive or not. You should never use products that use alcohol rather than water or oil bases, because over time they create deep lines and can precipitate discoloration.

Your first mistake is assuming that there's a national norm when it comes to skin care or beauty products. Most Western products are horrible, and the ones I've recommended avoid the most typical pitfalls such as use of menthols, scrubbing agents, etc.

I don't feel like we're having an actual discussion here, and that your fascination with an imagined East vs. West dichotomy (as opposed to actual science) has clouded your judgment. I'd rather not continue.

(By the way, the way you discuss pH makes me question your bona fides here...)

Well first, on alcohol levels in sunscreen - again, yes alcohol can dry skin but that 10-step routine is heavy on moisturizing to offset.

And there are national norms between western and asian products - western products tend to over-emphize creating new skin (a lot of mechanical scrubbing / foaming) then enriching your current skin with lotions, serums, and ampoules.

It's more common for those following a western beauty routine then an asian beauty routine to develop deep lines and discoloration - you can really tell the difference - asian products actually having much better skin tone especially with the brightening aspect of a lot of the products. I lived in Tokyo for 5 months, Hong Kong for a month, and Seoul for almost a month - and everyone had much better skin there then here - having lived in several US states and Canada.

Here is a great blog post on why the pH levels of your cleansers (of which foaming cleansers are usually awful for) matters, especially when using AHA and BHA:

http://www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/2014/09/skincare-discovery-why-ph-of-your.html

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Here's my 2 cents on skin care aka what I do.

I never had bad acne but even into my mid-late 20's I had stubborn acne that wouldn't go away, nothing heavy it just wouldn't leave. It peaked with two cysts on my left and right temple. The were basically very large painful red looking pimples. Went to a dermatologist and after some steroid injections they went away, she then put me on a morning/night routine I've been on for the past year and a half or so and its worked really well for me.

Morning: Glytone Mild Gel Cleanser and CeraVe AM Moisturizer.

Night: Glytone, CeraVe PM Moisturizer, and a "pea sized" amount of Aczone 7.5% to my face before bed. (aczone is prescription only)

Nothing too fancy or harsh on the face, but it's worked really well for me.

Last edited:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Why is my forehead so oily at the end of every day?

I could have a bath or wash my face and within a few hours my forehead is slick with oil/grease. You can literally wipe it off with tissue, it's gross and I hate it.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Is there a source you can link that alcohol can cause cell death in a topical application in any significant amount, as opposed to when it's metabolized? Everything I found in a quick search were studies of alcohol consumption.

Personally, I think alcohol can be fine in a skincare product otherwise; it feels more cosmetically elegant and is particularly nice to use under makeup if you live in a hot or humid environment. If there are more serious side effects I would like to read more about it.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Genes, diet, not enough water? Sometimes skin will create excess oil to make up for dryness.

Genes - possibly
Diet - I generally eat really well
Water - possibly

My hairline has receded a bit at the front. I've done reading before and is it possible my forehead oil could be tied to too much DHT in my system?

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I am not the OP. Our opinions will differ, and remember, YMMV.

Generally, generally speaking, lotions for the body aren't formulated with facial skin in mind. I would basically never, ever put anything on my face that was for body use, but that's also because I specifically use facial creams.

I am American of Asian descent and I prefer Asian beauty. I know I'm biased, but I also honestly think OVERALL, Asian people have better skincare regimes, skincare products, and skin care in general, compared to American skincare. Maybe some of that is genetics, but Asian skin looks amazing. My mom, for example, who is over 60, has beautiful skin. Every single one of my friends' moms look incredibly young, and their skin is beautiful, smooth, soft, and firm.

It's not magic that Asian women are known for "not aging." It's because we stay out of the sun and take really good care of our skin. If it's so culturally important, I defer to their expertise. For example, I would choose Korea for eyelid surgery over American doctors, but if I wanted a good tanning lotion I'd get an American/western brand. I'm not sure if that makes sense, because I guess it's kinda racist, but *shrug.

Full disclosure: I use nonAsian Beauty products all the time, but only because they have actives that I'm looking for-- actives usually already a thing in Asian beauty.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a source you can link that alcohol can cause cell death in a topical application in any significant amount, as opposed to when it's metabolized? Everything I found in a quick search were studies of alcohol consumption.

Personally, I think alcohol can be fine in a skincare product otherwise; it feels more cosmetically elegant and is particularly nice to use under makeup if you live in a hot or humid environment. If there are more serious side effects I would like to read more about it.
There are good and bad alcohols in skin care products.

Most are fatty alcohols that are a mixture of gentle cetyl and stearyl alcohols. They are typically used as an emollient, texture enhancer, foam stabilizer, or carrying agent for other ingredients, and are harmless.

Bad alcohols (labeled as SD alcohol, denatured alcohol, or sometimes isopropyl alcohol) give products a quick-drying finish, degrease skin, and feel weightless on skin, so they're appealing for those with oily skin. However, over the long term, it harms your skin's protective surface, depletes vital substances needed for healthy skin, and makes oily skin worse because it ironically encourages excess production of pore-clogging oil.

Most alcohol-containing astringents are in the 20% range, but can reach much higher depending on the formulation. Beyond 40%, and the skin's intercellular layer and protective outer barrier see irreparable damage. Skin cells that die manifest physically as pitted scars, rolling or icepick dents, etc.

Some products contain 70%+ alcohol, if you can believe it.

Sources:

Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, May 2012, issue 4, page 1410
Experimental Dermatology, October 2009, pages 821-832
International Journal of Toxicology, Volume 27, 2008, Supplement pages 1-43

Schw7abe

Oct 28, 2017

Generally, generally speaking, lotions for the body aren't formulated with facial skin in mind. I would basically never, ever put anything on my face that was for body use, but that's also because I specifically use facial creams.

I am American of Asian descent and I prefer Asian beauty. I know I'm biased, but I also honestly think OVERALL, Asian people have better skincare regimes, skincare products, and skin care in general, compared to American skincare. Maybe some of that is genetics, but Asian skin looks amazing. My mom, for example, who is over 60, has beautiful skin. Every single one of my friends' moms look incredibly young, and their skin is beautiful, smooth, soft, and firm.

It's not magic that Asian women are known for "not aging." It's because we stay out of the sun and take really good care of our skin. If it's so culturally important, I defer to their expertise. For example, I would choose Korea for eyelid surgery over American doctors, but if I wanted a good tanning lotion I'd get an American/western brand. I'm not sure if that makes sense, because I guess it's kinda racist, but *shrug.

Full disclosure: I use nonAsian Beauty products all the time, but only because they have actives that I'm looking for-- actives usually already a thing in Asian beauty.

I took your initial response as "that product should not be used on your face specifically". Personally I am not interested in the East v. West discussion at all. I use the products that work for me. That Olay moisturizer has really helped me these last few months. So I was curious if there was a specific reason it should not be used on the face. Ex. Damaging long term. I'm rather new at all this and it is a bit intimidating!

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017

One factor that is also significant is that Asian, African-American, etc. skin have higher levels of pigmentation that act as a natural sun protectant. Coupled with much more diligent sunscreen usage, and Asian women easily age better than your average Western woman who only uses sunblock at the beach and moisturizes with L'Oreal's perfume-laden wreckage.

Some products formulated for the body (like the No-AD sunscreen I use) are way too emollient to feel comfortable on the face, but many (like the Paula's Choice AHA lotion I use) are equally effective on the face. Texture aside, no well-formulated product that works well on the body will work poorly on facial skin, and can present a great value for the money in terms of price per ounce.

I took your initial response as "that product should not be used on your face specifically". Personally I am not interested in the East v. West discussion at all. I use the products that work for me. That Olay moisturizer has really helped me these last few months. So I was curious if there was a specific reason it should not be used on the face. Ex. Damaging long term. I'm rather new at all this and it is a bit intimidating!
It's a fine product - keep using it :-D

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get rid of these huge oil clogged pore openings on your nose besides individually squeezing each one out?

Warning: disgusting "blurry but you get the idea photo."

7_A9915_F4-3_F2_C-4990-_B3_B2-2971_A9_B1_FF43.png

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
How do you get rid of these huge oil clogged pore openings on your nose besides individually squeezing each one out?

Warning: disgusting "blurry but you get the idea photo."

7_A9915_F4-3_F2_C-4990-_B3_B2-2971_A9_B1_FF43.png

NO DON'T DO THAT. It's sebaceous filaments usually, not blackheads.

Use BHA on your nose, exfoliateeee!, and don't squeezeeeeeeeee. If you have large pores that's is your life, you can't shrink them or whatever. They will always fill back up. Best to keep your face clean and your pores as unclogged as possible (that's where BHA comes in). BHA is for blackheads btw, not SF. I heard oil was good for SF but I noticed mine are way less obvious now just through my multi-step skincare routine and proper hydration.

One factor that is also significant is that Asian, African-American, etc. skin have higher levels of pigmentation that act as a natural sun protectant. Coupled with much more diligent sunscreen usage, and Asian women easily age better than your average Western woman who only uses sunblock at the beach and moisturizes with L'Oreal's perfume-laden wreckage.

Some products formulated for the body (like the No-AD sunscreen I use) are way too emollient to feel comfortable on the face, but many (like the Paula's Choice AHA lotion I use) are equally effective on the face. Texture aside, no well-formulated product that works well on the body will work poorly on facial skin, and can present a great value for the money in terms of price per ounce.

It's a fine product - keep using it :-D

Eh not to harp on and on because I know skin varies, but skin pigmentation is really just melanin levels. And, your assessment of skin pigmentation isn't actually correct AFAIK (cited here). Some Asian women are naturally darker, but plenty are super pale naturally and retain it by due to staying out of the sun (which of course makes you look younger), not bleaching. However, just sunscreen isn't what I'm talking about. There's an emphasis on texture and quality of skin- words that have no English equivalent because people here just don't care enough. It's like there's this one Taiwanese word that describe a kind of food texture that has no equivalent in the west because western cuisine / palate doesn't CARE about that texture, whereas it's important in Taiwanese cuisine.

The focus on skincare in the East is just at insane levels, much more so than in the West. Not that there's not great skincare here, but it's really very different and I think one is... better, even though I generally hate using that word especially when it comes to east/west stuff because it's just an opinion. But hey, I have no problem saying the American values of a democratic government is better than, say, China's authoritarian one party rule, even though that's just an opinion too. So yeah, I have to say that eastern skincare is almost always better than western skincare if w're talking about overall skin care.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna stop being cheap and finally get the PC Bha 2% exfoliate
Currently using Mizons 8% aha every night but its not really doing much, hopefully the change will help

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know everyones skin is different but I found PC BHA 2% BHA more effective when I used it once or twice a week, say for 30 mins and then putting on a clay face mask right after.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Eh not to harp on and on because I know skin varies, but skin pigmentation is really just melanin levels. And, your assessment of skin pigmentation isn't actually correct AFAIK (cited here). Some Asian women are naturally darker, but plenty are super pale naturally and retain it by due to staying out of the sun (which of course makes you look younger), not bleaching. However, just sunscreen isn't what I'm talking about. There's an emphasis on texture and quality of skin- words that have no English equivalent because people here just don't care enough. It's like there's this one Taiwanese word that describe a kind of food texture that has no equivalent in the west because western cuisine / palate doesn't CARE about that texture, whereas it's important in Taiwanese cuisine.

The focus on skincare in the East is just at insane levels, much more so than in the West. Not that there's not great skincare here, but it's really very different and I think one is... better, even though I generally hate using that word especially when it comes to east/west stuff because it's just an opinion. But hey, I have no problem saying the American values of a democratic government is better than, say, China's authoritarian one party rule, even though that's just an opinion too. So yeah, I have to say that eastern skincare is almost always better than western skincare if w're talking about overall skin care.
Oh, absolutely. There's tons of variations, and many Asian people have lighter skin and less melanin than your average Western European. It's a difference in cultural priorities, and one that I'm hopeful will take root in the States among consumers.

Concerns like enlarged pores and oily skin are the types of things that the Asian skin care industry was on top of years ago. They are way ahead of the game when it comes to the use of humectants like hyaluronic acid and brightening agents like Vitamin C actives in mainstream/luxury products, but I find that if you're looking for repair rather than prevention, the relative lack of ceramides and antioxidants is disappointing.

It's all about variety :-)

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My derm wants to prescribe me accutane- frankly I'm a little scared.

Im 22, and I have mild acne on my face. I've had it for like, ever, since I was at least like 11/12. However, I currently only have one pimple on my face- most of what I have is really hyperpigmentation, and it's not that much, at least I don't think. Acne on my back is worse, though, it only started appearing the last few months. Anyone else been prescribed accutane but not have Severe acne? I'm kinda skeptical and scared, but my derm does this under the assumption that accutane is a "cure" for acne and I know she prescribes it a lot, because she said she did it four times before me on that day I visited.

Like I know the derm is the one with the end school degree- but I shit you not, I KNOW my acne is not that bad (one pimple. Seriously), and I'm the type that's mostly self-critical.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Accutane is a well-controlled and well-tolerated prescription under the proper supervision. The minor side effects (such as chapped lips) pale in comparison to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and the risk of its more unsavory potential side effects (joint damage, depression) is very low.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have great skin, but it's Noxzema a good face cleanser? My mom has had me using it since I was a child, so that's one of my main ones.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Im 22, and I have mild acne on my face. I've had it for like, ever, since I was at least like 11/12. However, I currently only have one pimple on my face- most of what I have is really hyperpigmentation, and it's not that much, at least I don't think. Acne on my back is worse, though, it only started appearing the last few months. Anyone else been prescribed accutane but not have Severe acne? I'm kinda skeptical and scared, but my derm does this under the assumption that accutane is a "cure" for acne and I know she prescribes it a lot, because she said she did it four times before me on that day I visited.

Like I know the derm is the one with the end school degree- but I shit you not, I KNOW my acne is not that bad (one pimple. Seriously), and I'm the type that's mostly self-critical.
I had accutane several years ago for relatively minor acne that nevertheless wasn't being well controlled by other medication. On the one hand, my lips are still pretty dry and prone to chapping, even after all this time. On the other, my acne has been gone since then, with the exception of a pimple here or there when I'm stressed.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Leona Lewis, question for you - have you tried a 10-step asian beauty routine for at least a couple weeks to a month?

I've tried both skin regimes - I used to use same or similar western products, but once I adopted the asian skin care routine after living there, the results were significantly better.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Leona Lewis, question for you - have you tried a 10-step asian beauty routine for at least a couple weeks to a month?

I've tried both skin regimes - I used to use same or similar western products, but once I adopted the asian skin care routine after living there, the results were significantly better.
I would never try that because my skin doesn't respond well to layering, and because I have a full time job :-p

I find it more practical to use a limited range of well-formulated products that include a range of effective ingredients rather than a panoply of targeted ones that feature only one or two superstar ingredients.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I would never try that because my skin doesn't respond well to layering, and because I have a full time job :-p

I find it more practical to use a limited range of well-formulated products that include a range of effective ingredients rather than a panoply of targeted ones that feature only one or two superstar ingredients.

But you're slamming it without the experience of it. I have experience on both sides.

Not sure what a full time job has to do with anything. Takes me 5 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes in the evening (15-20 of those being the sheet mask)

Takes me longer to do my hair styling (styling creme, hair dryer+combing, styling paste, then a bit of hairspray to set) then applying my skin care products in the morning.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Okay, sorry LL I swear I'm not trying to be contrary.

Accutane is often prescribed and most people are perfectly fine in the end.

Take it as you will, but a lot of my friends in the medical field say that yes, doctors now days over prescribe because they're afraid their patients will complain, and patients just want something. It's actually a growing concern in the medical industry. The culture of instant gratification and patients complaining if they feel like their doctors aren't doing anything, etc, is affecting how doctors treat patients and it's not always good.

I assume, however, your derm thinks that other forms of acne control won't help, and it might have something to do with the acne on your back. Either way, all medication carries a risk so it's a risk you're going to have to take and decide if it's worth it.

Also Leona Lewis - I work 80 to 100 hours a week in tax but I still do a 12 step skincare routine :p. It does take anywhere between 20 to 30 mins, and if I'm REALLY rushed in the mornings I'll condense it to 6.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For acne, something that works well for me is niacin. I take a 500mg supplement only once every two days or so, the non-flush kind. If I would take it every day I get eczema, a know side-effect. Don't know why it works, but it's known to work and works for me.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with using 10+ products. I just don't find any utility in it. It's expensive, and usually a sign that the products themselves are so granular in their focus that unless they address a specific concern you might have (ex. brightening), they might not have a logical place in your skin care regimen.

If my OP and history of posting here and the other place haven't already indicated, I'm advocating a simple but effective skin care routine that the type of person who frequents this forum can easily integrate into their lives and see dramatic results.

I'm obsessed with retinols and indulge in the occasional face sheet, but it's just not practical for most novices exploring what skin care can do for them.

Skin care for all shapes and sizes, though, is the name of the game. So snails and cleansing oils and their ilk have their place in this thread too :-D

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can one area of my face be more sensitive than others.. :/
Did a 50% glycolic peel last night. Did one 2 weeks ago for 1 minute, went fine, thought id try 2 minutes this time. All of my face is fine except my left upper cheek. Guess you could say its burn marks but it looks like a few small tiny cuts. Like a few shaving cuts or bites by some insects.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
can someone recommend me a good lotion type moisturizer for combination skin? I bough a ceramid gel last week and while it keeps my skin well hydrated I really don't like how it makes my face sticky for hours after applying.

edit: needs to be available in japan.

How can one area of my face be more sensitive than others.. :/
Did a 50% glycolic peel last night. Did one 2 weeks ago for 1 minute, went fine, thought id try 2 minutes this time. All of my face is fine except my left upper cheek. Guess you could say its burn marks but it looks like a few small tiny cuts. Like a few shaving cuts or bites by some insects.
guess it could be things like sleeping on one side of the face, or a tendency to keep one side of the face in the sun.. something like that. Small asymmetries can easily compound to large differences over time.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Watching people put AHAs, BHA, reintoids directly under their eyes/lower lid always makes me feel queasy. I tried that shit once like two years ago and the skin was irritated for like a month, definitely wasn't sticking around for it to build up tolerance.